paulvdb

The Order

Netflix Orders "The Order" - New Horror Series

10 episodes, one-hour long

Synopsis: College freshman Jack Morton joins a fabled secret society, The Order, where he is thrust into a world of magic, monsters and intrigue. As Jack goes deeper, he uncovers dark family secrets and an underground battle between werewolves and the magical dark arts.

The Order is a magical and terrifying journey to uncover our true selves...and the monsters that hide within.

Premiere date announcement:

The trailer looks predictable but honestly if I went by trailers o wouldn’t watch anything.  I am burnt out on vampire (100 year old vampire falls for sixteen year old girl) stories.  I haven’t seen a decent werewolf story since the American version of Being Human.  If this is even barely watchable I will enjoy it simply fir the werewolves.   

• Like 1

So far, it's a predictable teenager gets into magical school, meets popular, pretty girl, deals with a couple of bullies, and then there's a werewolf thrown in. The guy who plays one of his teachers, is the one who played a werewolf in True Blood, so I hope it isn't him.

24 minutes ago, sisterspoon said:

Ooooh!  Another Ivanka look-alike!

She reminds me of someone else, but I can't think of her name. Oh, I think it's Sarah Lancaster! But I'm not sure.

Edited by Anela

OK, I got all the way to the end and I've got questions, but I don't want to spoil the last 5 or 10 minutes for anybody:

Spoiler

When the witches knocked out the werewolves and then grabbed all the magical stuff in their basement, did they manage to get the skins to separate from the kids, too, or are they just going to wait for each student-Knight to die and the skin to magically return to that box they stole?

• Like 1

I really wanted to like this because I have been looking for a good werewolf story.  This is not that.  It is more magic then werewolf which is disappointing.  It is also for too teenage melodrama for me.  None of the characters were particularily interesting.  I guess I have to keep looking for a werewolf story and just watch the American version of Being Human for the fifth time.

• Laugh 1

11 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I really wanted to like this because I have been looking for a good werewolf story.  This is not that.  It is more magic then werewolf which is disappointing.  It is also for too teenage melodrama for me.  None of the characters were particularily interesting.  I guess I have to keep looking for a werewolf story and just watch the American version of Being Human for the fifth time.

I liked the English version. Didn't watch much of the American one.

• Like 1

The trailer was awful so I had low expectations going in. I ended up enjoying it. The knights were all fun and it was more interesting when the focus was on them. The romance between the Jack and Alissa was boring though so I pretty much skipped those scenes unless they were plot related. I wouldn’t mind seeing a second season especially after how this one ended. 

Spoiler

Honestly though Hamish and co should have really moved out of the house, hidden their magic collection and taken precautions after Vera and the Order became aware of it.  Hoping if there is a second season  their werewolf metabolism “heals” the memory loss .

Edited by quazimodo
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Anela said:

I liked the English version. Didn't watch much of the American one.

I watched both versions of Being Human and enjoyed both, but the British one just a little bit more. 

Anyway, on to this.  I had lots of time this weekend to just relax and binge so I binged the entire series.  It wasn't super high caliber, but it was entertaining enough.  I liked the werewolves more than the witches.  I'll wait to comment more to see if anyone else comments.  I don't want to spoil anything.  

• Like 1

I'm on episode 8, I think. I'm really sleepy, but I was just thinking that someone adjusted awfully quickly, to being a werewolf. I'm also amused by the fact that nobody has come looking for them, wondering why they aren't in class. How fast is all of this supposed to be happening? 

I have seen it, it's not great but I did finish it so that's something.

Always happy to see Matt Frewer.

Jack looks like a young Kevin Bacon and once I made that connection I couldn't unsee it.

I thought Vera was Shannen Doherty for a while.

Hamish is a great mixologist.

• Laugh 1

22 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

I have seen it, it's not great but I did finish it so that's something.

Always happy to see Matt Frewer.

Jack looks like a young Kevin Bacon and once I made that connection I couldn't unsee it.

I thought Vera was Shannen Doherty for a while.

Hamish is a great mixologist.

Hmm.. I don't see the young Kevin Bacon, but his attractiveness kept fluctuating for me.  I think it's just the pretty blue eyes.

The actress who plays Vera does look like a young Shannen Doherty, but I knew I saw her in something so I had to IMDB her.  I think I remember her from The Arrangement.  Which was horrible and I am embarrassed to have watched it for the little bit I know. 

8 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Hmm.. I don't see the young Kevin Bacon, but his attractiveness kept fluctuating for me.  I think it's just the pretty blue eyes.

The actress who plays Vera does look like a young Shannen Doherty, but I knew I saw her in something so I had to IMDB her.  I think I remember her from The Arrangement.  Which was horrible and I am embarrassed to have watched it for the little bit I know. 

I recognized her from Hannibal. 

I still don't know how long this was all supposed to be going on for. It seemed like it all happened in the first week or two. 

Wow. So much wasted potential with bad writing. The list below is just a smattering of my gripes.

• The Order is supposed to be an all-powerful society, but 5 of the 7 recruits they select are morons and one of their current members is a moron which undermines the authority they continuously try to project.
  • The Order places a recruit in charge of a finding werewolves without any supervision.
  • They made Jewel Staite into a bad actress.
  • The Order has a typical fraternity hierarchy requiring unquestioning authority which is bad and lazy writing.

I'm not sure which was worse, this show or Hemlock Grove. Looks like Netflix needs to put better horror writers on retainer.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

I'm not sure which was worse, this show or Hemlock Grove. Looks like Netflix needs to put better horror writers on retainer.

The first season of Hemlock Grove was actually pretty good it just got steadily worse as the budget got worse.  This wanted to be the college version of a Millennial Supernatural romance horror story and it didn’t work.  

On 3/15/2019 at 1:26 PM, Catfi9ht said:

Wow. So much wasted potential with bad writing. The list below is just a smattering of my gripes.

• The Order is supposed to be an all-powerful society, but 5 of the 7 recruits they select are morons and one of their current members is a moron which undermines the authority they continuously try to project.
  • The Order places a recruit in charge of a finding werewolves without any supervision.
  • They made Jewel Staite into a bad actress.
  • The Order has a typical fraternity hierarchy requiring unquestioning authority which is bad and lazy writing.

Netflix needs to slow down and start making good series. There is too much blah on there now.  All of these bothered me. But I had two weird things.

• What is with Jack's hair? It was gross greasy not good greasy. He also didn't seem that attractive to me (and looked nothing like his dad).
  • Why were people not losing their minds when kids were being killed off at this school in the early episodes?  

I recognized Vera from "Ginger Snaps" which is a great series about werewolves.

• Like 3

Just finished episode #3. So far I'm liking this. There are no characters that are particularly annoying. Clay being a golem was hilarious. And who doesn't like Matt Frewer?

I'm not reading any posts since I don't want to be spoiled.