Galileo908

S30.E14: The Clown Stays in The Picture

Krusty reveals the untold story of his past in his movie "The Sands of Space"; while working as personal assistants on the movie, Bart and Lisa learn about the early years of their parents' relationship

Yeah, loved Krusty on Marc's podcast. The episode that he posted on Thursday included a longer clip than what was on TV, and it's pretty great. Gonna admit that it was funnier than what they left in. I definitely recommend listening to it, and it also has a really great interview with Yeardley Smith.

So Krusty's big magnum opus was Dune (with a little Mad Max and The Day The Clown Cried because, well, Krusty). It's just so weird, but I liked that. I also liked the fake weapon fight between the crew and the kidnappers, but it was just too short for my liking.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

but it was just too short for my liking.

After Krusty ended his story on the podcast, and Marc Maron started pushing hot cashews as it went to commercial, I looked at my watch and saw it was only 8:24.  And thought, that was it ?

The production code for the Marc Maron Krusty podcast was the also the production code of this Simpsons episode.

And not to ask a silly question, how would Krusty know about scenes that didn't involve him ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 3

Gonna be honest, I wish the whole episode was just Marc and Krusty. That would've, you know, been a risk.

• Like 2

Have we ever seen Homer wear that jacket before ?

Krusty: "It's not the crust, it's the fillings."

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 1

List of movie posters seen on the movie studio lot:
-- Beverly Hills Bootcamp
-- Spy Babies
-- The Leprechaun Clause
-- Nerd Mom
-- Nun-jas
-- Basketball Dolphin
-- Karate Lawyer
-- Pope and a Half
-- Robo-Bladers
-- My Uncle The Nephew

The tag line for the movie sequel they were trying to get Krusty to make:  Good Cop, Dog Cop 2: Golden Revolver -- The Heat is in Heat !

In the studio head's office, there were posters for a Chinese language edition of Basketball Dolphin, and a French language edition of Nun-jas -- Les Religieuses, Elles ont des armes de L'Orient -- which loosely translates to 'The Nuns, they have weapons of the East'

There were even brief Troy McClure references -- while standing in the line for movie production hiring line, Luann Mussolini (before she married Kirk van Houten), was reading a copy of Premiere magazine with Troy McClure on the cover.  And then again, a woman dressed as an alien was reading the same magazine in Mexico.  And then again several copies were on the floor of Krusty's production office. I still miss Phil Hartman. 

The lead character in 'The Sands of Space' was dressed similarly to the head of the Stonecutters.

The writers of 'The Sands of Space' were William Goldman, Joe Eszterhas, Shane Black, and Nora Ephron (you can barely make it out when Marge is coaching the actor.

Goldman wrote Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and All the President's Men
Joe Eszterhas wrote Showgirls and Flashdance
Shane Black wrote the first 2 Lethal Weapon movies
Nora Ephron wrote Sleepless in Seattle and When Harry Met Sally

Homer is drinking Duff Gordo while in Mexico.  Which loosely translates to Fat Duff, if Google Translate can be believed.

So, crew powder, that's just cocaine, right ?  And is that the same as directing dust ?

Krusty sends Homer out to the 'El Desierto Del Gringo Muerto' -- which translates to 'Desert of the Dead Gringo'

And now we know how the Sea Captain lost his leg.

Marc Maron: "I am so glad Byron Allen canceled."

The movie marquee where 'The Sands of Space' was playing showed 'El Bozo Loco' -- which loosely translates as 'The Crazy Clown'

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Goldman wrote Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and All the President's Men

Not to mention Princess Bride.

BTW, Matt Selman's twitter feed is a goldmine of behind the scenes info. As of writing this, he's summarizing the story of The Sands of Space.

I was trying to figure out when this episode took place. Homer and Marge were obviously out of high school, but I guess not married (since they did that because Marge was pregnant). So, maybe they were in college? I thought they got married quite young.

Regardless, I liked this episode. I usually enjoy the flashback ones as they have so many tie-in to the future jokes with the other characters (like Sea Captain losing his leg).

12 hours ago, xander874 said:

I was trying to figure out when this episode took place. Homer and Marge were obviously out of high school, but I guess not married (since they did that because Marge was pregnant). So, maybe they were in college? I thought they got married quite young.

Regardless, I liked this episode. I usually enjoy the flashback ones as they have so many tie-in to the future jokes with the other characters (like Sea Captain losing his leg).

I think that like 'Mad about the Toy' earlier this season this is an example of the sliding timescale of the show (where characters don't really age) running into the age of the showrunners. This one isn't has much of a problem as that one where the toy company executive and his secretary still worked the same job after seventy years but the timing has issues.

At this point assuming they still are meant to be around forty 'now' Homer and Marge are just too young to have been in their teens in the Eighties.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lazlo said:

I think that like 'Mad about the Toy' earlier this season this is an example of the sliding timescale of the show (where characters don't really age) running into the age of the showrunners. This one isn't has much of a problem as that one where the toy company executive and his secretary still worked the same job after seventy years but the timing has issues.

At this point assuming they still are meant to be around forty 'now' Homer and Marge are just too young to have been in their teens in the Eighties.

Watching this and thinking how they nearly approximated the timeline to have them date in the late 80s, and have the tween-age kids by their canon debut in  ’92. I take it that the moral of the episode is that the Border Wall is a B-rated production by a clown -sorry ,sorry