BetterButter

Love, Death & Robots

I don't know why no one has replied to this; just finished it today, and it's excellent!  The power of Netflix is the ability to fund experimental projects, of which many are forgettable flops (oof, some of those one-off movies are all trailer and no cattle)... but some (like this, the recent "Russian Doll", the gimmicky "Bandersnatch", etc) showcase new and interesting storytelling.

The look and production value was very "Liquid Television" and "Animatrix", if updated for the 21st century.  Some of them were cute, some were wondrous, all were excellently produced.  No real duds, although some like "The Dump" were unremarkable to me.  The quality of CGI is such that at times, I couldn't be sure the "Ice Age" short wasn't CGI.  While the human actors were, apparently, live action shot, it's only a matter of time before "normal" shows are mocap and CGI, because it's cheaper to produce and looks better than real life.

Stand-outs for me were:

• "Three Robots", which was just plain fun
  • Also enjoyed the humor of "When the Yogurt Took Over", whose narration reminded me of "Pushing Daisies", and "Alternate Histories".
  • "Beyond the Aquila Rift" for the existential horror it embodies (I saw it/the twist coming, but that thing in the shadows... brrrr
  • "Good Hunting" with the blend of animism and Victorian steampunk; I'd want to see a whole movie of this world.
  • "Zima Blue" was a great example of "real" sci-fi, in that it explores real questions of human identity, self, and purpose when looking up into an infinitely vast universe

It's also kind of amusing this is in the "Kids & Animated" section, because this is definitely not for kids! 

On 3/20/2019 at 10:18 PM, hincandenza said:

Stand-outs for me were:

• "Three Robots", which was just plain fun
  • Also enjoyed the humor of "When the Yogurt Took Over", whose narration reminded me of "Pushing Daisies", and "Alternate Histories".
  • "Beyond the Aquila Rift" for the existential horror it embodies (I saw it/the twist coming, but that thing in the shadows... brrrr
  • "Good Hunting" with the blend of animism and Victorian steampunk; I'd want to see a whole movie of this world.
  • "Zima Blue" was a great example of "real" sci-fi, in that it explores real questions of human identity, self, and purpose when looking up into an infinitely vast universe

I enjoyed this as well and I am surprised no one is posting.

My Stand-outs

Three Robots

Sonnie's Edge

Shape-Shifters

Lucky 13

When the Yogurt Took Over

Alternate Histories