nodorothyparker

S09.E09: Adaptation

This show sat on my DVR for a few days before I made myself watch. It's too bad because it didn't use to be this way. I just have too many questions about these whisperers that makes it harder to suspend my disbelief for the whole thing. Plus, as much as I like the actor, Negan should not be alive.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

This show sat on my DVR for a few days before I made myself watch. It's too bad because it didn't use to be this way.

I hear that. I have all the eps of my 3 most-loved shows on DVD. I've seen every ep 3 times at the very least. Now, with TWD, I miss a lot of what's happening, including the dialogue because I prefer to pay more attention the Live Chat than the show. I see by the episode comments just how much I did miss and I  don't even care. I tried to rewatch a couple of times, but after 5 minutes thought, "Nope. Can't do."

Plus, as much as I like the actor, Negan should not be alive.

His being alive is irksome enough, seeing as how many other characters are and were ditched or put on the sidelines so TPB can focus on him. What is most annoying is that they are trying to push on us that he's really a nice guy, deep down. Awww, look how fond he is of Judith! So sweet. He loved his wife so much he named a spiky, blood-soaked bat after her.  Look at his sadness and nostalgia for the good ol' days in the place where he committed murder, torture and rape. He's not a bad guy- he's just misunderstood. Got it? Good.

Oh, and the MagicGas doesn't really bother me when so many other things are much worse. I did kind of wonder how he found some old motorcyle that had been lying around for 6 years, gunned it up and took off like Marlon Brando in the "The Wild One", but then thought, "Why not?"

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Oh, and the MagicGas doesn't really bother me when so many other things are much worse. I did kind of wonder how he found some old motorcyle that had been lying around for 6 years, gunned it up and took off like Marlon Brando in the "The Wild One", but then thought, "Why not?"

Magicgas is somewhat reliant upon other products from the Magic range, namely Magic ForEver Charged Batteries and  Magic Never Deflate Tyres!

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

11 hours ago, Nashville said:

Don’t forget - this is the world of MagicGas® !

Where the hell do you find the Registered symbol on an IPad?

• Like 1

I think there is a tipping point in this series where a suspension of disbelief goes out the window.  I can buy into only so much bullshit.  I can handle only so much idiot behavior.

The two dudes following the arrows into an area of Whisperers is one of those things for me.

Why were those dudes following those arrows?  Did they think they were left by one of the newbies at the Mountain Top? 

How did the Whisperers get all of those arrows in the first place?

Negan knocking down a brick wall and getting out his motorcycle is another.  The magical gas is another.

Negan going into a store and finding a jacket in his size (extra douche bag)  doesn't surprise me.

Negan heading back to Alexandria doesn't surprise me.  He is a broken man.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I think there is a tipping point in this series where a suspension of disbelief goes out the window.  I can buy into only so much bullshit.  I can handle only so much idiot behavior.

The two dudes following the arrows into an area of Whisperers is one of those things for me.

Why were those dudes following those arrows?  Did they think they were left by one of the newbies at the Mountain Top? 

How did the Whisperers get all of those arrows in the first place?

Negan knocking down a brick wall and getting out his motorcycle is another.  The magical gas is another.

Negan going into a store and finding a jacket in his size (extra douche bag)  doesn't surprise me.

Negan heading back to Alexandria doesn't surprise me.  He is a broken man.

The arrows had been made by one of the guys they were looking for, according to the musician guy. Why they would leave a trail like that was never pondered.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2019 at 2:05 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Oh, excellent point. The only time I can remember Daryl having anything resembling a conversation with anyone was last season when he reamed out Rick - at the bottom of a hole I might add -  for being a selfish asshole, period. I remember no other conversations, so I'm not sure where the opinion that he's an astute judge of character comes from?

One of many, many problems.

Especially when last season, he, Maggie, and Jesus were all conspiring to overthrow Rick.

One would think anyone plotting to overthrow Rick wouldn't be considered an astute judge of character in the Book of Michonne and would instead be a sworn enemy.  

For the sake of fan wanking, I'm going to assume she never knew of the plot the three of them were conjuring up last season.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Gobi said:

The arrows had been made by one of the guys they were looking for, according to the musician guy. Why they would leave a trail like that was never pondered.

Wasting arrows, using them for trail markers never seems like a good idea. 

I am surprised that after all of these years that they haven't blazed any of the trails, putting paint on trees in different colors, used as directions for various places.  It would be pretty easy to get lost just wondering around in the woods.   Judith is the only one with a compass, and I have no clue if she knows how to use it.

I don't know why Negan would even need it.  Surely he must know the way from Alexandria to Sanctuary.

If really bad things happen and they have to avoid the main roads, it would only make sense to have a secondary means of escape.

Great, now the "Pina Colada" song  is going through my head. 

At least it isn't "Copacabana". 

Oh, crap.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

53 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't know why Negan would even need it.  Surely he must know the way from Alexandria to Sanctuary.

Would he? IIRC, he didn't know Alexandria existed until he decided to set up elaborate roadblocks for Rick&CO. No one at Alexandria mentioned him collecting tributes before that, did they?

1 hour ago, Persnickety1 said:

Especially when last season, he, Maggie, and Jesus were all conspiring to overthrow Rick.

Oh, yes - that big, huge major plot point, complete with eerie, suspenseful music that resulted in... well, nothing, as usual.

56 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

At least it isn't "Copacabana". 

Oh, crap.

Oh, crap, indeed. An earworm I did not need.

• Laugh 2

6 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Well, they did actually show that part on the show.  Back in his bad old Sanctuary days, Negan had apparently stashed a cycle by hiding it behind a fake sheetrock wall (I guess even back then he had concerns about keeping his quick getaway options open).  After Negan got back to Sanctuary he went directly to the wall, bashed some holes in it, and the bike was revealed.

Anyway - so much for where Negan got the bike.  Now what it’s running on, other than maybe piss and prayers...?  Your guess is as good as mine.

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Where the hell do you find the Registered symbol on an IPad?

Type left parenthesis + lowercase ‘r’ + right parenthesis, then check your Autocorrect options.

FYI - typing out the word ‘copyright’ works for © as well.  🙂

• Like 1

So it takes over a day to get from Alexandria to Hilltop via horse. Yet Carl and Enid rollerskated there in an afternoon?

Alexandria’s scouts never even suspected the existence of the Sanctuary or its satellites yet Negan can walk there in a day. While stopping to shop for a new leather jacket even. 

I really need a map of this world. 

Edited by Pixiebomb
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 3

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Well, they did actually show that part on the show.  Back in his bad old Sanctuary days, Negan had apparently stashed a cycle by hiding it behind a fake sheetrock wall (I guess even back then he had concerns about keeping his quick getaway options open).  After Negan got back to Sanctuary he went directly to the wall, bashed some holes in it, and the bike was revealed.

Oh. Thank you. It all makes sense now. So Negan's special escape bike was hidden behind a wall, much like Dexter's emergency escape suitcase? Except a suitcase doesn't need 6-year old gasoline. I really need to watch this ep again. Maybe tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, Pixiebomb said:

So it takes over a day to get from Alexandria to Hilltop via horse. Yet Carl and Enid rollerskated there in an afternoon?

Alexandria’s scouts never even suspected the existence of the Sanctuary or its satellites yet Negan can walk there in a day. While stopping to shop for a new leather jacket even.

I think that sums it up pretty well. As for the map? I think it would shift and fluctuate according to plot need, like a Harry Potter page, but I'd like to see it too.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

6 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

So Negan's special escape bike was hidden behind a wall, much like Dexter's emergency escape suitcase? 

Valid comparison. But wrong genre... and, therefore, flawed analogy.

"Dexter" was a deep, serious drama. 

The Negancycle was playing more by Adam West rules, methinks.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

The Negancycle was playing more by Adam West rules, methinks.

More like Roadrunner and Coyote rules.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Pixiebomb said:

I really need a map of this world. 

On the old AMC forum we kept asking if they could do an official map but met with little interest, I haven’t even seen a decent fan made one.

Although it’s not the fictional WD world, the WD Google Map is interesting to nose around,

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1x5Ed-nylk7BF2nlk0qjAW_GoNso&hl=en&ll=33.7582919%2C-84.38759429999999&z=8

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

8 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

Well, not flawed if you compare it to Se08 "Dexter."

Also, Dexter had many laugh-out-loud moments, because the earlier show-runners understood the need for humour even in darkest moments. TWD showrunners are so pompous and clueless they think humour would ruin their artistic vision.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Nashville said:

Anyway - so much for where Negan got the bike.  Now what it’s running on, other than maybe piss and prayers...?  Your guess is as good as mine.

I have a question that will show my complete ignorance of all things mechanical I guess BUT do any motorcycles run on diesel? If so, veggie oil works, old restaurant grease works (once filtered). "Diesel engines were originally designed to run on a variety of fuels, including peanut oil and vegetable oil." so, artisinal motorbikes could be diesel, right?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, diebartdie said:

BUT do any motorcycles run on diesel?

They certainly do, I believe they are mainly used by the military, apart from them growing corn, the show never really touched upon the use of cooking oils to power their vehicles. 

When you consider how much oil there must be in your average town, Maggie could be riding around on that big arsed tractor forever and a day, yet just like the guns, vehicles have been quietly ushered off stage so the show can go all ‘Little House On The Prairie’

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Would he? IIRC, he didn't know Alexandria existed until he decided to set up elaborate roadblocks for Rick&CO. No one at Alexandria mentioned him collecting tributes before that, did they?

I don't know how taking Judith's compass would have helped him any.  I don't think Nagen has a map of the area. 

If he doesn't know where Sanctuary is in relation to Alexandria, then what would he need the compass for?  Did he need the compass so that he could find his way back to Alexandria after leaving for Sanctuary?

I had just assumed Nagen knew how to get to Sanctuary from Alexandria.

I would have thought that the communities would have maps and set up orienteering classes, just in case well traveled routes were no longer available for any number of reasons.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1

Oh, no. Don't talk about Dexter. I just started season 4.😁

Oh, you mean you haven't gotten to the part where Dexter... 

(just kidding)  😆

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

2 hours ago, diebartdie said:

I have a question that will show my complete ignorance of all things mechanical I guess BUT do any motorcycles run on diesel? If so, veggie oil works, old restaurant grease works (once filtered). "Diesel engines were originally designed to run on a variety of fuels, including peanut oil and vegetable oil." so, artisinal motorbikes could be diesel, right?

Take your pick!  🙂

On 2/11/2019 at 3:03 PM, Persnickety1 said:

they then shove a character like Neil into a scene, kill him off, and apparently we're supposed to have some sort of reaction to his tragic demise.

Instead I think most of the viewers were sitting there like I was, saying "Who the fuck is Neil???"  

Before I read the 2nd paragraph, I thought to myself, "Who the hell was Neil?"

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

8 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

The show never really touched upon the use of cooking oils to power their vehicles.

5 hours ago, Nashville said:

Well hot damn y'all, we've solved the mystery of the rumbling motorcycles!

• Laugh 1

I suppose it's possible the Whisperers are trying to drive herds of walkers in specific directions, maybe toward any known settlements like Hilltop etc. since they seem to have some belief that people "don't belong." We saw Daryl trying to lure them in one direction only to see them turn and go elsewhere and ignore the noise he was making. I don't know exactly how they're doing that, but that might explain what their motive is.

The problem is we're in for a whole season or more of endless and pointless conversations where nothing is revealed because the show doesn't want us to know yet. So instead of getting actual story we get a shit ton of pointless filler where people talk to each other without saying anything. That's become the hallmark of this show.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

So instead of getting actual story we get a shit ton of pointless filler where people talk to each other without saying anything. That's become the hallmark of this show.

To the point that Darryl is now the one with most of the dialogue.  Well...

• Like 4

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:58 AM, Persnickety1 said:

Seriously.  Right about the time I actually started to remember Eric's name, he was killed off, which I think probably says a lot more about the craptastic character development on this show than my memory.  

I think that's why season 2 (the farm season) was my favorite, lots of great fleshing out of the characters and getting to know them and what made them tick.  Of course, except for Daryl and Carol, all of those characters are gone.  

For the past couple of seasons, I've not even bothered to try to remember most of the new characters' names because I really could not care less if they're killed off.  I think the only new character I've come close to liking is Siddiq, and he gets so little air time I can't warm up to him, either.  

Like a few posters above, I couldn't help but notice that Michonne has been given the Crown of Grunting Glory.  

I finally was able to understand Dirty Daryl's grunts and mumbles without the use of closed captioning, and now I'm probably going to have to to back to using it to decipher Michonne's dialogue.  

Well, it doesn't help that the original poster got the name wrong.  It's Aaron, not Adam.  And Aaron is still alive and is now a main character.