OnceSane

S09.E13: Bed, Bob and Beyond

A Valentine's Day fight between Bob and Linda has the kids feeling confused. After a failed attempt to see a movie, it's up to Tina, Louise and Gene to tell their own story as a distraction from the awkward tension.

Airs February 10, 2019.

Neighbor: Beverly Hills Cups

Expensive Cups

Exterminator: The Mouse That Jack Kill-t

Burger(s) of The Day:

"He puts the glammer in stammer."

Oh, it's a three shorts episode, each kid finishes the movie, not unlike Mother's Day and the plays. And that the kids use all the elements from Bob and Linda's fight in their stories is like The Gayle Tales when Gayle demanded Scott Bakula in every story.

Gene's Story: Oh my god I loved this. I wish the rest of the episode was this. Of course he would turn a British romcom into Speed.

"Don't bridge-splain me, father!"

Tina's Story: Tina's part focuses on butts and being fancy, of course. And that would of course turn into Titanic.

"Nobility makeover!"
"Yay."

I loved "Pub Penis" and "Ordinary Skin Syndrome."

Louise's Story: And we end with a disaster movie. The Laundry-nado was great.

"'Ello. Football to ya."

Lot of Bob "Mmms" in this one.

• Like 4

That was awesome! And even more awesome - that was Lucy Davis and Peter Serafinowicz.  

• Like 4

Holy shit, I was crying. What makes it work is Louise's no nonsense - 'yes, she's Paula McCartney!' 

The Beefeater actually eating beef. Duke of Douchebury!

That's a long walk to go for a 'fire in a crowded theater'.

I liked that Linda and Bob were into the story but also were being meta about the movie. 

I kind of like how the kids were kind of snippy at Linda and Bob. 

I also liked how the soccer hooligan was in each story.

Edited by ganesh
  • Like 3

I loved the stories. "Turns out he's not dead, TINA...." And "on the scale of one to Sir Michael Bolton...." 

Also, usually I just Tivo, but tonight I was watching live, so I actually saw H. Jon Benjamin's two Arby's commercials during the show, and recognized his voice. It never hit me before! And it's been going on for six months???

• Like 2

There were amusing elements, but overall, my favorite of the "storytelling episodes" is still The Gayle Tales.

• Like 5

Great episode, and a really smart move on the writers' part imo. The last two Valentines episodes were phenomenal (I maintain they were robbed of that Emmy for V for Valentine-Detta), so I'm glad that instead of trying to top them they went for a different format and took the pressure off.

The Laundry Fight reminded me of Everybody Loves Raymond's suitcase fight, where they fight for weeks over who moves a suitcase and it is so stupid but so real.

I love that they didn't go for Tina being the one to tie up the story and make everything perfect and romantic. It was a nice surprise to see Louise be the one to get through to Bob and Linda.

• Like 10

Tina was going on about looking at Scottjon's butt, and Bob pulled an "okaaaay Tina". 

4 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

The Laundry Fight reminded me of Everybody Loves Raymond's suitcase fight, where they fight for weeks over who moves a suitcase and it is so stupid but so real.

I thought of that, too.

What a fantastic ep. It took me a long time to stop laughing when Tina said, "Seamen spill out all over the deck." Even now I'm laughing.

I like how the kids' movies had bits of other movies in them -- Speed, Titanic, The King's Speech, Sharknado (I guess). Each story was so much fun.

Love when Scott John Dansteve stood up on the boat and crossed his legs.

Gene: Rom-com thank you mom.

Louise: Then Big Ben is swooped up, the clock AND the guy.

Linda: What's with all the sister whisper back there?

• Like 1

That was such a great episode, I loved all of the stories, and the silly but so very true fight between Bob and Linda. And I love that Louise was the one who got through to them, and brought the whole story together. And that Bob and Linda ended up getting into the story, even as that were all meta and commenting on the many strange turns the story has taken. 

"It swooped up Big Ben, the place AND the guy!" 

Professor Dumbledore! So many great lines this week. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 3

On 2/10/2019 at 10:25 PM, Mystery said:

I loved the stories. "Turns out he's not dead, TINA...." And "on the scale of one to Sir Michael Bolton...." 

Also, usually I just Tivo, but tonight I was watching live, so I actually saw H. Jon Benjamin's two Arby's commercials during the show, and recognized his voice. It never hit me before! And it's been going on for six months???

We were watching Archer and said "all i can hear is Bob" lol

• Like 2