Galileo908

S30.E12: The Girl on The Bus

When Lisa spots a new best friend from the window of the bs, she gets a taste of what life could be like with a different, more cultured family.

As soon as they get over the thrill that the Saints beat the Eagles....

• Like 2

Couch Gag: Thanos! Only Maggie is spared from the Snap.

"JFK STILL ALIVE!" I liked that weird newsreel, if only to prove that Springfield's school buses haven't been updated since the 60s. I did like all the scenes on the bus, too.

Lisa is singing about loneliness and wishing for a friend who's cultured and smart where Alison Taylor is RIGHT BEHIND HER. It makes me hard to give a crap about any plot about her wanting friends. So the whole bit with Lisa making up a fake family to impress her friend's family kind of reminds me of Lisa's Wedding, of course she's embarrassed by her family. But thankfully, revealing the lies didn't drive them away for once. I did like Flanders playing along, though, and actually BECOMING Homer made me laugh. Speaking of visuals, Homer eating a lot of salt turns him into Grampa.

I liked all the stores in Sam's neighborhood, like there were separate stores for $50 and $100 marmalade. How many rich parts of town does Springfield have now? 

Heh, the gif of Homer hiding in Flanders' hedges is a meme in-universe now. Well, it had a good run.

"The truth is like stars: It always comes out!"

"Wow, Ralph, that's really profound."

"I have five face holes!"

I always enjoy the rare times Ralph says something deep.

That was a weird ending, though. Bart made himself a man cave and that made everything okay? And this leads to the house becoming a nightclub? Where was THIS plot?

EDIT: That WAS Patti LuPone as Sam's mom! I knew I recognized the voice! But where was Terry Gross in this?

Edited by Galileo908

The title cards were funny. I liked Smithers walking the hounds in the morning too. 

Wow Marge, way to snap at Lisa at dinner. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

EDIT: That WAS Patti LuPone as Sam's mom! I knew I recognized the voice! But where was Terry Gross in this?

Lisa, Sam and Sam’s Dad were listening to her in the car when they were driving Lisa home.

• Like 1

I liked the various belts for the lunchbox boxing titles -- WLBA, WLBA, and Federacion Internationale de Lunch-Boxeo.

Kearney with the boxing bell app, Wendell taping up his fists with fruit rollups.

Stores in the upscale part of Springfield -- The Golfin' Dolphin, Gifts for Sisters, Cruelty-Free Stationery and the Didgeri-Dude.

Books spotted in Sam's house:
-- The Collected Kurt Vonnegut
-- Doorknobs of Denmark
-- Goya's Stabbiest Paintings
-- European Train Menus
-- Klimt und Koons - Eine Retrospective
-- The Big Book of Glass by Maurice (coincidentally, one of the upscale stores was called Glass by Maurice)

Why was Reverend LoveJoy sneaking out of the synagogue ?

8 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Why was Reverend LoveJoy sneaking out of the synagogue ?

I'm assuming it was because he was worshipping there despite being a Methodist(?) priest.

I have got to stop watching this but it is on all the time.  All the poor is Lisa episode I actually do feel bad for Lisa even though she is a snob and hope things workmpi for her.  Sometimes I think that she’d actually be happier away from her family at some hoity toity pive in private school fat far away from Springfield but then even with the fact forwards she is exactly the kind of person to give in and marry Millhouse the first time she fails horribly because  no one has ever even her real encouragement and I find that sad.  

That WAS Patti LuPone as Sam's mom! I knew I recognized the voice! 

I feel shame that I didn't realize it was her. I knew I knew the voice but didn't place it. 

11 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I feel shame that I didn't realize it was her. I knew I knew the voice but didn't place it. 

To be fair, the show pretty much wasted her. Now Steven Universe, THAT show takes full advantage of her voice.

That was kind of fun, especially with Ned's Homer impersonation and Homer's four lines. Lisa herself was pretty unsympathetic though and it was surreal to have her complain about not having a friend with similar interests when Alison was prominently visible in the background. 

Is Sam the first non-binary/lgbt kid character we've seen on the show (Sam's father definitely said "I love you son")?

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 12:48 AM, AAEBoiler said:

I'm assuming it was because he was worshipping there despite being a Methodist(?) priest.

The one true faith: The Western Branch of American Reform Presbylutheranism (founded when Martin Presbyluther stuck his Three Suggestions under the Pope's windshield wiper).

Lisa has long been my most disliked character, and I despise the "poor Lisa, she is so smart and cultured and her family is a bunch of backwoods losers" episodes most of all.  This one was no different.  I did enjoy the "Belle" song parody on the bus, but I'm so tired of the "Lisa is ashamed of her family" storylines, I feel like it's been done before.

Flanders imitating Homer was pretty funny.

On 1/15/2019 at 4:52 PM, Lazlo said:

Is Sam the first non-binary/lgbt kid character we've seen on the show (Sam's father definitely said "I love you son")?

It was "I love you Sam."  He has a Nigerian accent (by way of Cameroon) so I can see how it sounded like "son".  I also went back and turned on closed-captioning and it was definitely "Sam".