CuriousParker

Law & Order: Criminal Intent

On 2/11/2019 at 10:29 PM, WendyCR72 said:

And "Assassin", I find boring, but it's nice to see actor Stephen Schnetzer (from soap opera Another World fame) as Bella Khan's hubby.

I have mixed feelings about "Assassin" as it is sooooo obvious it was a mishmash of the real if Benazir Bhutto with the tragedy of the Gandhi family thrown in. I said this before over on TWoP, and I think even here when we had the forums, but It's downright LAZY and Offensive as someone who Is Hindu (though not overly religious at all), for this show to NOT know that Muslims don't believe in Hindu Gods, yet when Bella was at...Hudson? They had the paintings of Hindu Gods behind her. What was more egregious to me, considering that it was 2006, that they couldn't find an Indian actor to play Bella's husband. Sorry, you have Indira Verma playing Bella; you had Madhuri Jaffrey (a most wonderful cook and who can play comedy--just watch her appearance in Psych's "Bollywood Homicide") as Bella's mother. But you get an AMERICAN to play Bella's husband? The character wasn't supposed to be White or American.

13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I have mixed feelings about "Assassin" as it is sooooo obvious it was a mishmash of the real if Benazir Bhutto with the tragedy of the Gandhi family thrown in. I said this before over on TWoP, and I think even here when we had the forums, but It's downright LAZY and Offensive as someone who Is Hindu (though not overly religious at all), for this show to NOT know that Muslims don't believe in Hindu Gods, yet when Bella was at...Hudson? They had the paintings of Hindu Gods behind her. What was more egregious to me, considering that it was 2006, that they couldn't find an Indian actor to play Bella's husband. Sorry, you have Indira Verma playing Bella; you had Madhuri Jaffrey (a most wonderful cook and who can play comedy--just watch her appearance in Psych's "Bollywood Homicide") as Bella's mother. But you get an AMERICAN to play Bella's husband? The character wasn't supposed to be White or American.

While I did like seeing Stephen Schnetzer, you have a very valid point about a Caucasian actor supposedly playing a compatriot of Bella's. I can't fathom why the show did that, unless they just wanted a semi "name" (as I said, SS had soap cred) in the role?

But then "World's Fair", that of heinous people everywhere there, cast accordingly a season prior. So there really is no excuse.

On 2/14/2019 at 11:06 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

What was more egregious to me, considering that it was 2006, that they couldn't find an Indian actor to play Bella's husband.

Aasif Mandvi was booked that week.

I'm rather surprised there was no push back about a white actor in the role back when it aired. Yes, CI had lower viewership on USA. Yet, conversely, Season 7 was also the highest rated, from what I understand. (Although, if I recall, the episodes would also air later on NBC, so the question holds.)

So why no one objected is a mystery.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 12:11 AM, WendyCR72 said:

While I did like seeing Stephen Schnetzer, you have a very valid point about a Caucasian actor supposedly playing a compatriot of Bella's. I can't fathom why the show did that, unless they just wanted a semi "name" (as I said, SS had soap cred) in the role?

But then "World's Fair", that of heinous people everywhere there, cast accordingly a season prior. So there really is no excuse.

By this time, there were enough named stars that were Indian who could have played the role, like David Negabhan. 

While “World’s Fair was good ( I LOVE Logan slamming his hand down when question that bigoted creep, but moreso asking Mira’s “fiancé if the strip bar he had gone to was a “pure one”), again the writers get a giant FAIL from me for giving a Hindu name to a Muslim character.😒😒😒😒

And has Patty D’Arbanville ever played anything other than BITCHY characters??

On 2/15/2019 at 8:59 PM, wknt3 said:

Aasif Mandvi was booked that week.

😆🤣 Either That since he’d been hired by Jon Stewart and he was a regular correspondent on The Daily Show, or he figured he’d already appeared enough times on this show and the franchise!😄😄

9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm rather surprised there was no push back about a white actor in the role back when it aired. Yes, CI had lower viewership on USA. Yet, conversely, Season 7 was also the highest rated, from what I understand. (Although, if I recall, the episodes would also air later on NBC, so the question holds.)

So why no one objected is a mystery.

Maybe they did but no one paid attention? After all, social media wasn’t as pervasive back then. Or they did and no one cared.🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Maybe they did but no one paid attention? After all, social media wasn’t as pervasive back then. Or they did and no one cared.

Yeah, probably that.

8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And has Patty D’Arbanville ever played anything other than BITCHY characters??

Once. And I do mean once! LOL! She played a police captain on another Dick Wolf show for a few seasons on New York Undercover in the 1990s. Lauren Velez, who played the dirty cop, Lois Melago, in "Purgatory", was part of the cast, too, just as an aside.

• Like 1

"Last Rites" (a.k.a. Logan's last CI episode) is airing in late night on WE tomorrow (Wednesday morning). While I liked that the show tried to tie Lennie in by way of the priest, I wish the case was something he had actually worked on years ago instead of what there was.

But, still, it was a good way to get Logan involved for his swan song. (The Wheeler stuff with the fiancé seemed rushed, though. I guess there was no choice as it was the season finale for her character, too.)