Dougal

Last Man Standing

2 hours ago, Neiman said:

Loved the way Ed's commercial got a voiceover.  

But I'm not thrilled with plot focusing on the oldest daughter.  She goes around all "miss know it all" the last few seasons then asks how to make a video?  New Mandy is emerging as my favorite daughter.  

The problem is, McCook is still trying to be "the old Mandy" instead of truly taking on the role. The character of Mandy is still the same from: "I read the book better on my phone" to thinking an appendectomy is a kidney treatment. Plus, her chemistry is off with the other characters, especially Kyle.

2 hours ago, Neiman said:

Seems like the writers aren't sure where to go with some of the characters and story.

No they don't. Even with Vanessa wanting the foreign exchange student and saying how much she loved the program and was an exchange student in high school. Which was 40 years ago. They already explain that they have Mike and Vanessa in their 50s even though Tim Allen is 65. They have Kristin being this "know it all" yet she doesn't know how to make basic film editing with her phone or a computer. She also keeps doing: "My dad and Ed gave me this awesome job and I know it all." When they keep proving they don't. Mike and Ryan and still arguing over the SAME stuff after 6 years. Chuck has to pick a fight over stuff he knows he is in the wrong about, because he can't resist an argument. 

3 hours ago, Subrookie said:

I don't know. My wife and I let my brother in law live with us rent free for a year to save money for his own place. I told him it was time to find a place ASAP when he brought home a 55" 4k TV for his bedroom. 

It may not be Mike and Vanessa's money but it is pretty naive to plan an expensive European vacation given the reason Mike is letting them live there. 

I'm not disagreeing there, but they trying to find issues of why Kyle and Mandy are still living with Mike and Vanessa and why their house isn't built yet. Because the show doesn't want to build a new set. 

• Like 1

Our family LOVES the new season.  

We thought the first episode was brilliant in how they made fun of the cancellation, and for how they handled the "new Mandy."

If they hadn't addressed it in a silly way, all of you would be gripping that it was weird because they didn't address it at all.  (There is just no pleasing most people.)

As far as Kristen's weight, shame on you for "weight shaming." I guess it must be nice to not have to ever deal with weight gain or loss.

Who cares if she is small or bigger?  She does a great job with the character.  

As far as her not looking like the rest of the family, there are a lot of families where the children don't look alike.  

And for those who can't handle that the show isn't "completely real and life like" go watch reality TV.  Oh wait, that's fake too!  Hmmmmm

This is entertainment; what are you expecting here?!?  It FUN, not reality.  It's a blend of entertainment and moral ways to handle issues.  It kind of reminds me of how TV shows used to be when I was a kid.

Great show!  Great fun!  It is actually a family event for us to get together and watch the latest episode we recorded.  Keep them coming!

• Like 2

Does the actress playing Vanessa bug anyone else? She has one expression, a super-smiley-squinty one that screams "I'M ACT-ING" and she pets everyone like a dog that recoils from your touch. It's super-creepy. Honestly, this is not someone who could possibly have a science PhD under the most make-believe circumstances.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MrFluffy said:

Does the actress playing Vanessa bug anyone else? She has one expression, a super-smiley-squinty one that screams "I'M ACT-ING" and she pets everyone like a dog that recoils from your touch. It's super-creepy. Honestly, this is not someone who could possibly have a science PhD under the most make-believe circumstances.

I have no problem with Nancy Travis, but I think the character of Vanessa has been a mess since the second season. Here they her going on with: "I got my PhD because I loved Geology, but then it took me years to realize I wanted to be a teacher, and now what am I?" During season 6 when Mandy and Eve tried to get her mad, she said: "I'm never mad." Then she turns around here and yells at Mandy and Kyle about them wasting money and not getting their house settled on building and having a baby. They've kept Mike consistent since season 2, but Vanessa has been all over the map since the second season because the writers don't know what to do with her character. 

• Like 1

New Mandy is growing on me. I thought she was quite good in this last episode. Truth be told, I was never a big fan of Mandy the character, but this actress is making her palatable.

• Like 1

I pretty much closed the door on Vanessa a few seasons ago.  Loved her in season one, but she's changed.  All her drinking and the puns just aren't that funny to me.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Neiman said:

I pretty much closed the door on Vanessa a few seasons ago.  Loved her in season one, but she's changed.  All her drinking and the puns just aren't that funny to me.  

That's all they have her do or defending Ryan even if he set the house of fire. Now, they have made her a: "I need another kid in the house, so either give me another grand child or an exchange student and I'll be happy." 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 12:30 AM, Gothish520 said:

New Mandy is growing on me. I thought she was quite good in this last episode. Truth be told, I was never a big fan of Mandy the character, but this actress is making her palatable.

I loved Mandy. The old Mandy. The new Mandy isn't horrible and it's unfair for me to hate on her and compare her but I so loved the old Mandy. I loved her style and that she started her own fashion business. When the show first started I was afraid Mandy was just going to be the stock dumb character but she really wasn't and I grew to love her. She had a good story arc going. But I never did buy her and Kyle together. 

• Like 5

Two things I love about this episode: Mandy's blue dress she's wearing when they're shopping for wedding gowns and how when they finally turn on the TV and the game is over and Mike says Wow, that was some game. I don't know why that just always makes me laugh.

Not sure why bringing another dog into the series was a great idea. They really are not sure what to do with Ryan, Boyd and Kristin do they? They either have Boyd learning a "very special" lesson or. Ryan and Kris apparently need to fill their contracts and get a paycheck. Least it was good to know that Kyle does view himself as a failure. He knows he has gotten into real ruts at ODM because he either didn't jump for promotions or when given them, he screws them up. Honestly, I don't know why they didn't make him the General Manager as he was great with sales and on the floor. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 2:05 AM, Aryanna said:

I loved Mandy. The old Mandy. The new Mandy isn't horrible and it's unfair for me to hate on her and compare her but I so loved the old Mandy. I loved her style and that she started her own fashion business. When the show first started I was afraid Mandy was just going to be the stock dumb character but she really wasn't and I grew to love her. She had a good story arc going. But I never did buy her and Kyle together. 

That's the problem with having a strong actress, when you're off the air for a year, you're bound to lose her. It does suck and I agree, new Mandy isn't bad or anything, she just doesn't compare well. 

So, Kyle and Mandy couldn't help decorate the tree because they were on the way out to see the Nutcracker.  We see them leave.Then we cut to later, the tree is still not decorated yet and Mandy and Kyle stop on the way out...to see the Nutcracker. Huh?

6 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

That's the problem with having a strong actress, when you're off the air for a year, you're bound to lose her. It does suck and I agree, new Mandy isn't bad or anything, she just doesn't compare well. 

So, Kyle and Mandy couldn't help decorate the tree because they were on the way out to see the Nutcracker.  We see them leave.Then we cut to later, the tree is still not decorated yet and Mandy and Kyle stop on the way out...to see the Nutcracker. Huh?

That's when things don't make sense. It goes back to a few years ago when everyone, BUT Kristin wanted to get things ready for Christmas. Eve and Mandy thought they were too old for it, Ryan was being a dumb ass again and dragged Kyle into his through process. Kristin puts up: The tree and gets things in the house together. Even tries rubbing it in everyone's faces. Then on Christmas Day, the tree just falls over for some reason. Originally it was that she put too many ornaments on one side of the tree. However, the tree is perfectly balanced and had been up for over a week and just falls to be a stupid joke. All the other characters do things that make no sense, they don't want to do Christmas because: "They are too old or don't believe in Jesus", yet they want presents and eat the food. Yeah, doesn't work that way. There is being anti-Christmas and then there is just not being into the entire "holiday spirit". Here, it's just that McCook can't be Mandy and she keeps trying to be Ephram and then when she tries to be her own version of it. It doesn't come off right.

So, even though I knew it was coming, I still cried when Mike asked Ed to fill the personnel positions with veterans who had the required skills.  I like that the characters seem to be getting back into their roles and nuMandy seems to be more comfortable as well.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 11:21 PM, Aryanna said:

I loved when Mike said he wished Eve were there and right then the doorbell rang. And it was Chuck. Such a funny fakeout. 

Right it was a good fake out. I figure the show will most likely go another year since it's ratings have gone back to what they were on ABC. However, I can see Fox after everything with the Disney deal goes through saying: "Well, it was fun, but the ratings are starting to decline again, but we will give you a good wrap up this time." 

On 12/30/2018 at 8:16 AM, readster said:

Right it was a good fake out. I figure the show will most likely go another year since it's ratings have gone back to what they were on ABC. However, I can see Fox after everything with the Disney deal goes through saying: "Well, it was fun, but the ratings are starting to decline again, but we will give you a good wrap up this time." 

Yeah with the 1 season layoff, a new Mandy and Eve only being a recurring character, it's just not the same. Not too surprising that ratings are suffering.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 8:55 AM, Aryanna said:

Yeah with the 1 season layoff, a new Mandy and Eve only being a recurring character, it's just not the same. Not too surprising that ratings are suffering.

Right and having Mari Yu not return for another couple of episodes is going to make people go: "Who is this character again?" When she was being shown to be this "big replacement for old Mandy and Eve." We haven't seen her in almost five episodes and then she returns. Yeah, that's not how you market a new character and then don't even mention them at all. There has been  no prep for her character outside the initial episode. Plus, as many critics have said: "Oh look a new Cousin Oliver character, because that always works." 

Happy that they actually pointed out that Ryan and Mike arguing is just who they are. However, once again, Ryan had a horrible father, I mean he didn't want Ryan seeing his grandfather because they "spend to much time together". Yet, he would never spend time with Ryan and still no word on what the hell Ryan's mother is or does? The Ed story was funny, best with the NuMandy since the show started. Though, could we have any more pot shots at liberal vs conservative. I'm going to talk politics, but it has gotten so old.

Kristen hasn’t aged nicely. Ryan’s hair is baaaad. They should have added an extra kid or 2 for Kristen and Ryan.

I know it’s mean, but wow. 

• Like 1

The show is back after break. Seems not much has changed, I don't get why Ryan and Mike feel they "have to" take swipes at each other. I like that Ryan explains why he wants Mike to have a relationship with Boyd. Plus, admitting that Mike knows more about things like cars, fishing trips, ect than him. Especially, since Ryan doesn't even "try" to do things. I mean, for apparently being so well off, he couldn't afford to take his car into the shop? He couldn't go to Mike and say: "Hey you know Jay Leno who is an auto-mechanic, can he figure out why the check engine light is always coming on?" They want to write it that Ryan has learned to be a better person and dad, yet he can't get a clue on handling things. Even his entire idea behind the rug is: "Yeah, we get it, Ryan is a hippy, they all sew rugs." Yet, even he admits that Boyd needs to learn how to fix cars, go on big fishing trips. Instead of working it out with Mike, he decides to do things he knows is useless because he wants to show "he is not his father" eventually you have to move on. 

NuMandy's style is nowhere near as good as old Mandy's. Her outfits are not very cute. And since Mandy is supposed to be a designer that kinda matters.

Edited by Aryanna

Oh good, Cousin Oliver is finally here.    Because bringing in a spare kid ALWAYS improves a show's ratings.  

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 9:08 AM, Suzysite said:

Oh good, Cousin Oliver is finally here.    Because bringing in a spare kid ALWAYS improves a show's ratings.  

Plus, they made her a regular and isn't it amazing that someone who is a native from China all their life has no accent what's so ever? Ryan is trying to avoid taxes on the Bud shop? Oh yeah, Ryan that is going to not lead to you being audited and losing the business that you and Kristin FEEL needs to stay in business. I'm with Mike, just let the place go or sell it to someone who knows how to run a business. 

Looks like they are going to move the show to a different Night. t. 

Last Man Standing Season 8 will move to a different night.

I do think it's interesting that they are saying that Fox is most likely going to renew it. Since they are talking about moving it to a different night. However, the ratings have returned to what they were back on ABC. The only good night would be Mondays since The Bachelor and DWTS doesn't get the ratings it once did. Any other night the show would be killed by other shows. Of course, maybe this is Fox's way of saying; "Hey, we brought it back, and we want to give it a decent send off unlike ABC, this is our excuse why we should end it. 

Molly McCook might leave the series.

Didn't know all the other actor were that involved in other projects. Sure, they film at different times and streamed series film back to back and then air. However, the only person who seems to have a regular empty schedule is Tim Allen and Nancy Travis show was renewed for another year and Orange is the new Black is airing it's finally season later this summer on Netflix. Hmmm...

Edited by readster

15 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

So we have a new actress to play Carol.  That's a whole lot of cast changes.  This may have been previously know/posted, but if so I didn't remember.  

Sadly, Carol hasn't been in the picture for almost 2 years. Even Chuck saying how she moved out of state for a while. While the show wanted to basically try to have it's cake and eat it too. I think they wanted Chuck married again and do more than just insult Mike. Because you know, Joe insulting Chuck and vice versa was not enough. 

53 minutes ago, readster said:

Sadly, Carol hasn't been in the picture for almost 2 years. Even Chuck saying how she moved out of state for a while.

Right?  When they started mentioning renewing vows I was like "Is Carol even living here?"  and then "I didn't think they got Erika Alexander back" then wondered if it would happen off-screen and then boom! different actress.  Like I said, I hadn't paid attention to news of the show much, so I wasn't expecting that. 

55 minutes ago, readster said:

I think they wanted Chuck married again and do more than just insult Mike. Because you know, Joe insulting Chuck and vice versa was not enough. 

And hopefully give more for Vanessa, too.  It's just... a lot of cast changes, although I don't mind the Boyd change.  I probably wouldn't have even noticed since I don't pay attention to that character so much and he's not in every episode.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Right?  When they started mentioning renewing vows I was like "Is Carol even living here?"  and then "I didn't think they got Erika Alexander back" then wondered if it would happen off-screen and then boom! different actress.  Like I said, I hadn't paid attention to news of the show much, so I wasn't expecting that. 

And hopefully give more for Vanessa, too.  It's just... a lot of cast changes, although I don't mind the Boyd change.  I probably wouldn't have even noticed since I don't pay attention to that character so much and he's not in every episode.  

Right and I'm wondering if they want to try and "renew" the Vanessa/Carol friendship with less Vanessa trying to sound "politically correct". Because since the show has been back you either have Vanessa yelling at someone or just there. More focus has been trying to make "new Mandy" work or bring in the new cousin Oliver for Vanessa.

• Like 1

Does it bug anyone else that the only reason Kristin has her job is because of her dad? She runs a little restaurant inside her dad's store. But she acts like she's achieved so much and has done it on her own. It shouldn't but it just bothers me.

15 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

Does it bug anyone else that the only reason Kristin has her job is because of her dad? She runs a little restaurant inside her dad's store. But she acts like she's achieved so much and has done it on her own. It shouldn't but it just bothers me.

Not really. Her dad may have got her that job, but she had previous restaurant management experience, and they pretty much leave her on her own to run the grill the way she wants to.  Or, at least they did.  I haven't been watching this season.  I remember a line from some other show years and years ago where someone got a job based on nepotism, but he didn't realize that until he was already there.  Someone told him "it's not how you get the job, it's what you do with it."