Cranberry

Derry Girls

Netflix's cracker Irish import, a hit earlier this year on Britain's Channel 4, celebrates what it means to be a female dickhead. Like a gender-swapped take on British teen-raunch classic The Inbetweeners, this six-episode, gloriously foul-mouthed sitcom follows the exploits of four Northern Irish girls — and their wimpy English male tagalong — in the late 1990s as they get into mischief at their Catholic high school and just generally make life more difficult for themselves. Set during the Troubles, a low-level guerrilla war in Northern Ireland between Irish nationalists and British loyalists, the show is also ostensibly about growing up in a hotbed of terrorism, oppression and ethno-nationalist conflict. But, you know, laugh-out-loud hilarious.

From here.

I watched this series yesterday -- it's only six ~22-minute episodes, so it's a quick binge-watch -- and it was hilarious and surprising and somehow mean and sweet at the same time. I was glad to hear that a second season is on the way!

• Like 2

I watched the first three episodes last night. This is hilarious! I love all the characters, not just the teenagers but their families, the nuns and the fish and chip lady as well. I can’t wait to watch the next three episodes. 

• Like 2

There's not a dud in the bunch! I think Sister Michael is my favorite character; she certainly got a lot of the lines that made me laugh out loud.

• Like 2

Watched the first 3 & I love it. My favorite is Grandpa Barriston Selmy, & his interactions with the dad. Everything is hilarious though!!!

• Like 3

Damn you short Irish TV seasons! I want more! 

Loved this, it was so cute and funny, every episode was a winner! It also had a really powerful ending, which I probably should have seen coming. I get nostalgia for my time in Ireland, AND in 90s, the decade I grew up in!

• Like 3

I just binged the series and I am hooked! So glad that it's getting another season! I love the music and that it's set in the 90's. The ending caught me off guard, i should have seen it coming considering.

• Like 1

I started to binge this and didn't want to be finished too quickly, so I broke it up into two sessions. What a fantastic show - the ending made me cry a little bit. I remember some of the heated incidents from when I was younger. We went on family holiday to the UK around this time, and there was an IRA bombing in the next town from where we were staying. We were shitting ourselves, and the people in the pub said if they stopped their lives every time there was an IRA bomb or threat, they'd never leave the house. It was a rude awakening for a small kid from small town Ontario, Canada. That, and all the British soldiers at the airports with their automatic rifles and dogs. It was a side of life we could hardly fathom.

I've recommended this show to so many people, it does such a good job of portraying how ridiculous adolescents are and how everything is so BIG when you're a teen. These kids aren't the popular kids, or the biggest "loser" kids, they're just middle of the road teens going thru high school. I can't wait for Season 2!

• Like 2

Recently finished the season on Netflix and I think this show is funny and charming as hell. Michelle, Mary, Sister Michael, and Grandpa Joe are my favorite. It took a while for Clare and Erin to grow on me, tbh, because the actress who plays Clare really exaggerates her expressions and Erin is very high strung but I've come to love them, too. It's awful but almost everything people say to and about James cracks me up, from his introduction straight through to the finale when Gerry wanted to basically sacrifice him to the Orange Order. (That was probably my favorite episode.)

I'm thrilled the show is already being considered for a third season (and the second debuts in March).

• Like 1