Lady Calypso

S03.E10 The Last Seven Weeks

6 hours ago, Colleenna said:

At the very least, the military would have sent the family a letter expressing the "thanks of a grateful nation."  More likely, a military chaplain and another officer would have visited the family to break the news. 

I believe this is the only way next of kin are notified by the military, in person, and unannounced.  A letter may follow but notification is always done in person.

16 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Thanks for replying, but I still don't know what a twin thing is.

Some twins have a connection, like ESP, and can feel what the other one is feeling or thinking.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2019 at 10:01 PM, greekmom said:

Back on the hate train for Kate. No one sells 1979 Star Wars action figures and for 10 bucks!!! She cannot be that stupid. I would have slapped that snot nosed kid who wouldn’t give them back and then called his mother.  Toby is a saint for not being overly upset at Kate then building that stadium for her. 

Interesting turn of events – Jack knew Nicky was alive. Wonder why he kept it a secret.

Sucks that Randall won. Wish they would have moved on from that storyline.

That was interesting that Jack knew that Nicky was alive. I wonder too why he did that fact.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Some twins have a connection, like ESP, and can feel what the other one is feeling or thinking.

Oh, thanks.  I've seen that in person.  I guess I didn't pick up on it since they're triplets.  Which one would think would make it even more powerful.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 10:03 PM, ams1001 said:

Hey, Tobes, maybe if that box was so important to you you should have actually written out the words "DO NOT SELL" instead of expecting Kate to know what your abbreviation meant.

Hey, Randall, maybe you look like "a family man without a family" because your family lives effing two hours away! (Oh, yeah, and so do you!) 

Hey, show finally realized that Alpine is two hours, not one, away from Philly.

Of course, Randall sob-stories his way to a blueberry pie.
And Kate sob-stories her way to...nothing! lol (I can't be the only one who cheered Gabe, can I?)

Okay, the stadium was cute and very sweet.

I did like the whole stadium thing.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:25 PM, PepSinger said:

Heh, this was my favorite episode of the season so far. I loved the Zoe/Kevin storyline. I was reminded of the Randall that I loved in season one. The only thing I didn't like was Beth apologizing. I almost didn't mind Randall winning.

Toby having that stadium built made me tear up. I have had several things that were dear to me lost in a fire, and I can't imagine how I would react if I could get those items back.

I liked the stadium part and the Zoe and Kevin part at the end.

12 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Oh, thanks.  I've seen that in person.  I guess I didn't pick up on it since they're triplets.  Which one would think would make it even more powerful.

There was a scene in the first season in one of the flashbacks, where kid Kate had to have her appendix taken out and Kevin was walking around clutching his side. So the two of them definitely have a twin bond.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Like 3

On 1/15/2019 at 10:28 PM, Lady Calypso said:

It's better when you know that she went back AT LEAST once more to try it again and he STILL didn't budge.

I don't see him as being disrespectful. Kate tracked him down when he was at a New Years party. He listened to her speech and told her that he would not sell her the collectibles back. He recognized how valuable they were. Then she went back to ask for them back again, even after he said no. She tried, but he was not disrespectful. He got those collectibles fair and square. 

Thinking about it I get your guys point about the guy and the collectibles.

On 1/15/2019 at 11:01 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

Ha. I feel like an idiot. 

But honestly I’m really over the show and I hate this twist with Nicky. It truly feels like they just threw this in because drama and it feels like such a strange turn as if they didn’t have a good plan unlike the past two seasons that were quite good.

Do you mean Alex? I'm still confused sorry.

3 minutes ago, Booklady1017 said:

Nicky, the uncle (Jack's brother) who is still alive.

9 minutes ago, Booklady1017 said:

Thinking about it I get your guys point about the guy and the collectibles.

Alex? I’m talking about Nicky Jacks brother?

47 minutes ago, maddie965 said:

I need a full Kevin episode. Like yesterday.

We had one last season. It was so good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

2 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Alex? I’m talking about Nicky Jacks brother?

It said something about Nicky being Alice? I wasn’t sure what you meant.

2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Oh alive not Alice. I get it. 

On 1/21/2019 at 4:20 PM, GodsBeloved said:

Zoe did tell Kevin she had a relationship with Andy. I’m not sure not going into details about their break up was all the necessary especially since they ended a while ago. Even Andy said he thought enough time had passed. I don’t think Zoe blindsided Kevin at all.

But as you said, drama.

I think she did.  That relationship ended badly - She ended it in a shitty way.  So it was certainly possible that something might be said about that.  IMO she should have at least casually mentioned it to Kevin.  If it didn't come up, fine.  But at least it wouldn't have come as a surprise to Kevin if it did come up.   Which it did.   I'm very big on damage control in advance, so I know I would have clued him in - not a whole story, but at least the basic details.  The focus was supposed to be on Nicky, so I would have tried to clear the field of any other distractions.  Or drama.  (There's that word again!!)  :-)

9 hours ago, Sake614 said:

That's very realistic though, and one of the reasons I'm so down on organized religion. Ministers, priests, rabbis...they all stand up there and tell you what to do, how to think, who to vote for, etc.

I can't speak about ministers or priests, but I have known many rabbis throughout my life, and I've never seen any of them come even close to telling congregants who to vote for.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Brookside said:

Thanks for replying, but I still don't know what a twin thing is.

It's that thing they have that they haven't shown since early in the first season when Kate woke up because Kevin was upset that he had lost his job or something.  And, when she said he broke his arm at camp when they were kids and she felt it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

I think she did.  That relationship ended badly - She ended it in a shitty way.  So it was certainly possible that something might be said about that.  IMO she should have at least casually mentioned it to Kevin.  If it didn't come up, fine.  But at least it wouldn't have come as a surprise to Kevin if it did come up.   Which it did.   I'm very big on damage control in advance, so I know I would have clued him in - not a whole story, but at least the basic details.  The focus was supposed to be on Nicky, so I would have tried to clear the field of any other distractions.  Or drama.  (There's that word again!!)  :-)

I can't speak about ministers or priests, but I have known many rabbis throughout my life, and I've never seen any of them come even close to telling congregants who to vote for.

I'm Jewish too, and I suspect that's a difference in culture. Similarly, although rabbis are available for pastoral counseling, I've never gone to a rabbi when troubled... but know that going to a minister or priest is a common thing. That said, churches aren't supposed to say who to vote for by law, but they do weigh in on issues, so implications can be very clear.

I agree that Zoe did blindside him; she could at least have said, I know a Congressman, we used to date long ago. Without going into details. 

I actually have gone to a rabbi when troubled, and at other times too.  Different rabbis at different stages of my life.   I also worked in a synagogue, and it was very common for congregants to come in for private time and counseling with the rabbi when dealing with death, marital issues, personal crises, etc.   It has certainly always seemed like a common thing to me.

But I was really replying to the contention that religion tells people how to vote, and, in my experience, that’s not true.  So it’s just a generalization.  Obviously everyone’s experience within their own religion is different. 

(Sorry - the quote box disappeared.)

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Like 2

well, i've been hate watching for a while -- round the time the randall starting his campaign. now that he's won, i'm offically out. can't stand more of his pontificating. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wonderwoman said:

well, i've been hate watching for a while -- round the time the randall starting his campaign. now that he's won, i'm offically out. can't stand more of his pontificating. 

You're nicer than me since you didn't add "self righteous" and "holier-than-thou" to "pontificating". He is completely insufferable.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

I agree that Zoe did blindside him; she could at least have said, I know a Congressman, we used to date long ago. Without going into details. 

And that’s exactly what she did.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

When I think of blindsiding someone I think it’s intentional or something very obvious is overlooked. I see your point about clearing the field even though I am not at the point where I think it was obvious to Zoe that breakup by e-mail would come up. 

I did like that Andy put in the request. I also wondered if Randall would run against Andy because city counsel or whatever office he won will get old to him fast :/

On 1/15/2019 at 10:00 PM, Armchair Critic said:

Ugh of course Randall won, I feel like I am bombarded with political stuff all the time and I don't want to see it here too.

But thankfully Kevin has been so cute lately. Maybe it's because I recently saw Justin Hartley in that Bad Mom movie..... ;)

I was kind of bored with Toby and Kate but him building that stadium was sweet.

And Nicky is alive as we surmised before.

Agreed. I'm loving Kevin now! Saving the show for me. 

• Like 3

On 1/16/2019 at 7:47 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

For once, this was something I didn't nitpick because she didn't say that she sold them to her friends in college, just that she sold them to kids from her college. I assumed that she just advertised at school, either online through student listservs, school FB groups, etc. or going old school by putting flyers up around campus. She later said that she spent the last two weeks sending friend requests to every person at her school to try to track down Gabe so I assumed she didn't actually know him beforehand (otherwise she would have already had a way to contact him).

This just totally creeps me out.  She basically stalked the guy in order to try to get back the items.  Who does that?  I would have called campus security or someone to keep this stranger away.  What if the story was that Toby sold something to a female and then tracked her down?  Kate is just so self-centered that nobody else matters and she should just get what she wants.  

On 1/23/2019 at 12:06 PM, DebbieM4 said:

I actually have gone to a rabbi when troubled, and at other times too.  Different rabbis at different stages of my life.   I also worked in a synagogue, and it was very common for congregants to come in for private time and counseling with the rabbi when dealing with death, marital issues, personal crises, etc.   It has certainly always seemed like a common thing to me.

But I was really replying to the contention that religion tells people how to vote, and, in my experience, that’s not true.  So it’s just a generalization.  Obviously everyone’s experience within their own religion is different. 

(Sorry - the quote box disappeared.)

It's actually against the law/policy for a church that has religious exemption from taxes, etc., to promote political candidates (not sure about other political activities).  However, historically different churches have served different functions within various communities.  In many African American communities, the churches have a role in community affairs and as community centers that other churches do not necessarily fulfill.  But, given that the writers needed Randall to win, they probably did not bother to find out about the nuances.

• Like 1