Jump to content
OnceSane

S06.E13: I Said I Got It!

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, AnnA said:
21 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Chief stews are typically considered senior management on the ship and typically have a great deal of authority over their team in this case Kate has none, Hell Captain Lee doesn’t really have any. 

And having been in HR for a gazillion years  in my experience someone like Laura who was brand new to the position would have been fired.

I almost agree with you about Laura.  She's definitely not chief stew material and terrible at her job but I'm not sure 2 or 3 days is enough time to evaluate her ability to adapt.  She seemed to do OK with the checklist.  Believing her resume was probably a mistake.  In my experience we had to "document" an employee's poor performance over a period of time in order to make a case for firing them thereby minimizing the possibility of a wrongful termination lawsuit.

I had no idea chief stews would be considered senior management.  I'm especially surprised to learn that Captain Lee doesn't have the ultimate level of authority onboard.   I thought a Captain was God on the high seas. Why do you think Below Deck doesn't conform to industry standards?  Is answer Bravo?  LOL

I'm quite sure that in a normal legitimate yachting situation, the Chief Stew can hire/fire as s/he sees fit. Ditto the Captain. This is not a legitimate yachting situation, it is a BravHo semi-scripted fake reality show that pulled viewers in with the promise of showing us the behind the scenes of a yachting crew, but instead reverted to the only format that BravHo knows, bringing the dramaz! So now we're stuck with a TV show hiring morons so we can have more manufactured drama. It's just that simple.  I'm sure the only reason certain people, like CrayCaroline, are fired is because they pose a legal threat to BravHo, because money is the only thing BravHo and Andy Cohen understand or care about.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, gingerella said:

I'm quite sure that in a normal legitimate yachting situation, the Chief Stew can hire/fire as s/he sees fit. Ditto the Captain. This is not a legitimate yachting situation, it is a BravHo semi-scripted fake reality show that pulled viewers in with the promise of showing us the behind the scenes of a yachting crew, but instead reverted to the only format that BravHo knows, bringing the dramaz! So now we're stuck with a TV show hiring morons so we can have more manufactured drama. 

Entirely correct.  There is little "real" here.  Even what might appear to us as "work situations" are twisted by this being a television show...it's not a workplace.  The yacht is a set. 

(So as pointed out elsewhere or before, the actors have a certain amount of work relationship to the producers, but not to castmates.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/10/2019 at 9:14 PM, smores said:

 Or if things were presented in a more uniform, open way, like, ok, this is the way we're going to do stuff now, in a meeting.  The Chandler situation set her up in a bad spot

I remember a specific incident (actually I remember a couple) where Chandler was a condescending ass - the time when he gave her shit about leaving her mop and bucket out and she pointed out to him she packed it away the night before, and Ross or Ashton must have used it. He cut her right off and told her again to put 'her supplies away" with the other two working within earshot. I would have lost it as well if I was always being disciplined while the others were given wide berth.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/9/2019 at 1:50 PM, langford peel said:

Yes. Walking slowly up a narrow stair way while your subordinate is carrying a heavy load in bare feet and could easily slip and hurt themselves is in fact the essence of maturity and leadership. I hope they use that clip in future management training seminar.

 

I so agree.  Kate is still stuck in high school with these childish antics. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, spunky said:

I so agree.  Kate is still stuck in high school with these childish antics. 

Oh come on - walking up the stairs slowly was hilarious.  That and a short chat with Captain Lee were all that Laura needed to see how it was gonna be on this yacht.  The beauty of it is Kate didn't have to have another chat with Laura, Kate didn't have to write her up, Kate didn't have to bring in Captain Lee again.  Sometimes there can be too many words.  That one action moved the situation forward: Laura accepted her 3rd stew role. 

Everybody's getting along now and I had a great laugh.  Beautiful!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, rehoboth said:

Oh come on - walking up the stairs slowly was hilarious.  That and a short chat with Captain Lee were all that Laura needed to see how it was gonna be on this yacht.  The beauty of it is Kate didn't have to have another chat with Laura, Kate didn't have to write her up, Kate didn't have to bring in Captain Lee again.  Sometimes there can be too many words.  That one action moved the situation forward: Laura accepted her 3rd stew role. 

Everybody's getting along now and I had a great laugh.  Beautiful!

We can agree to disagree on the humor of the situation. Laura had a case of water in her hands while walking up a flight of stairs. The slightest tilt could have sent her falling backwards with possible injuries. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, spunky said:

The slightest tilt could have sent her falling backwards with possible injuries. 

Going slow while carrying heavy things going up stairs is not a safety hazard, in fact it’s encouraged. If she couldn’t handle the weight she shouldn’t have been carrying it. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×