Aethera

Stargate SG-1

Why were the SG-1 forums vaulted? We were muzzled right in the middle of a lively debate (on a subforum which I had initiated, ahem).

• Like 1

We're back to a single thread! Whoo hoo! Happy X-days, everyone?

I finally got data off my old laptop's hard drive and found two DanJan stories in progress. One I had been looking for in my notes, based on Lifeboat. The other is an AU where camo-Janet ends up in this universe and Unending never happens. I even have a file from a discussion on TWoP about it. 

Thinking I just post the first one. While it was intended to go on longer, it can work as an episode stand alone. I can always add chapters later. But the second? Intriguing idea. Just not sure if I can get back into that mindset.

If you did a rewatch you'd probably find yourself right back there in the same mindset.  But do you have the time?  If you do, it can be pretty satisfying though.  I am a Daniel/Vala fan so my fix for Unending was rewriting the ending a bit and letting them get them their memories back and get young again.  I reread it every once and a while and it always makes me happy.  You could have the same with Dan/Jan.

4 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

If you did a rewatch you'd probably find yourself right back there in the same mindset.  But do you have the time?  If you do, it can be pretty satisfying though.  I am a Daniel/Vala fan so my fix for Unending was rewriting the ending a bit and letting them get them their memories back and get young again.  I reread it every once and a while and it always makes me happy.  You could have the same with Dan/Jan.

I wish that was the ending too. That way Teal'c also got to stay young and that somehow all the characters remember what happened.  Either that or none of them did. Thinking back, I never really liked how Teal'c story resulted in him aging and would have got rite of that all together.

I was sad that Teal'c had so many years of memories and experiences that isolated him from his friends but I didn't mind the aging part.  It was IMO a clever way to handle the realities of the actor getting older when his character shouldn't.  Also, I think it would have been amusing for Teal'c to know so much more than anyone realizes about their histories since he would know ALL their stories by the time time was reversed.  It would have made for fun episodes for him to spill the beans about stuff they hadn't shared for one reason or the other.  So I can see advantages of the move but yeah, then I go back to remembering all that he'd shared with his friends has been forgotten and that makes me sad again he's left so alone even once back in the fold.  

• Like 1

Comet has come back around to Season 1.  No matter how many times I see this show, I still love it.  Season 1 we pretty good right out of the gate, imo.  However, Emancipation is on right now and it's one I don't love.  I don't hate it, it's just not a fave.

You are being far too kind to that cringefest, lol.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Like 2

I was moving across country at the time and had limited access to Showtme for awhile (remember when this was only on a premium network?), but Emancipation was the reason I didn't subscribe to Showtime after the move.  I didn't watch SG-1 until another move later, when I got Showtime bundled and caught up on season 4 there and season 3 in syndication, all wildly out of order, and all immensely better than Emancipation.

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Is Emancipation the one in which Sam hallucinates? If so, I thought I liked it.

No, that's a much later episode. Emancipation is the 3rd episode of season 1, where they visit a Mongol society and Sam is sold into (sex) slavery.

On the one hand, it makes sense that they would encounter cultures that still hold outdated beliefs about genders, races, equality, etc.

On the other, it was just terribly executed at every level.

I guess the positive aspect here is that SG1 got it's indisputably worst episode out of the way right up front. Compare that to say, any Star Trek series (and I adore them all) where you could make a case for their worst episodes coming in their final season or two.

• Like 2

Carmen Argenziano, Jacob Carter, has died age 75. No details about his passing are provided. It's a nice article about his life and career.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

Carmen Argenziano, Jacob Carter, has died age 75. No details about his passing are provided. It's a nice article about his life and career.

Thanks for posting, @Joe. He imbued the character of Jacob with a lot of heart without "chewing scenery" or projecting ego. Looking at his very scant Wikipedia page, I suspect he was much like that IRL too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joe said:

I just heard about this on Reddit. So sad. 

Came to commiserate about Carmen. Damn, he was good as Jacob. Really wish they hadn't killed him off. The show was really bad with killing off beloved characters in later seasons.

On 1/14/2019 at 1:09 PM, BkWurm1 said:

If you did a rewatch you'd probably find yourself right back there in the same mindset.  But do you have the time?  If you do, it can be pretty satisfying though.  

Sadly, I don't have the time. And I don't need to bring back the Vala rage. That was the driving force behind that piece, showing why it was a dumb idea to make her part of the team. Bringing back my ship was the other part of that but there was a lot that needed to happen. It would be a very long story. 

Might try that with Lifeboat though. See if that second chapter comes to me.