Jump to content
Aethera

Splitting Up Together

Recommended Posts

(Unpopular opinion) I still like this show and want Martin and Lena to get back together, totally because the leads are so charming. 

What did the babysitter mutter after getting paid (and after saying she literally had nothing else to do)? I rewound 3 times and still didn't understand. 

For a second I thought Lena was going to kiss the teacher. 

At the end, was Martin again withholding as a means of getting back at Lena somehow? I thought she'd said she was fine by then. 

I think I missed how Lena's sister and the waiter got together but the premise cracks me up. Like everything else on this show it's goofy and unreal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, kazza said:

What did the babysitter mutter after getting paid (and after saying she literally had nothing else to do)? I rewound 3 times and still didn't understand. 

She said she ate all the cookie dough. (closed captioning)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, kazza said:

(Unpopular opinion) I still like this show and want Martin and Lena to get back together, totally because the leads are so charming. 

What did the babysitter mutter after getting paid (and after saying she literally had nothing else to do)? I rewound 3 times and still didn't understand. 

For a second I thought Lena was going to kiss the teacher. 

At the end, was Martin again withholding as a means of getting back at Lena somehow? I thought she'd said she was fine by then. 

I think I missed how Lena's sister and the waiter got together but the premise cracks me up. Like everything else on this show it's goofy and unreal. 

The leads are super charming, especially Lena, who is played so phenomenally by Jenna Fischer that I can't get over how much I love the character.

The trouble with the show is that it got them together when it didn't want them together, so it had to then come up with reasons why they had to be apart, and that mostly involved making Martin into a gigantic raging asshole. They tarnished his character so much that they've spent most of the last few episodes going out of their way to redeem him, but they just went way, way too far with making him a dick that I think Lena would have to be a bit of a fool to ever take him back.

And all just so that they would break up again when they didn't need them to get back together so soon in the first place! Agh!

I love Lena so much, though, that I will live with a fake happy ending where they get back together. I sort of "need" that to happen since the show is almost certainly being canceled, so I would like to have it wrap up before it ends. I imagine that the creators know it is likely going to get canceled, so they're probably writing the season finale with that in mind (I'd love for them to get one of those fluky renewals that are happening with more and more frequency these days, but I doubt it). 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I love this show. it's just so weird and charming and weird and quirky and weird. I could watch Jenna Fischer be high every episode. Or not high. Lena might kind of driver me crazy in real life, but JF is so funny. I love Oliver Hudson too.

I also love Lena's sis and the waiter, who I keep thinking is gay, tho that's no doubt cuz the actro plays Andre Braugher's hubby Kevin on Brooklyn 99.

I don't really understand why no one much is watching this, and I'll be sad if it's cancelled.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/9/2019 at 9:25 AM, Brian Cronin said:

I imagine that the creators know it is likely going to get canceled, so they're probably writing the season finale with that in mind (I'd love for them to get one of those fluky renewals that are happening with more and more frequency these days, but I doubt it). 

It's just too bad that all of Emily Kapnek's shows get cancelled so soon!  I've really enjoyed this one, Selfie and Suburgatory.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, luna1122 said:

 

I also love Lena's sis and the waiter, who I keep thinking is gay, tho that's no doubt cuz the actro plays Andre Braugher's hubby Kevin on Brooklyn 99.

 

While watching this, my girlfriend said "isn't he gay?" and I told her she was thinking of his character from Brooklyn Nine Nine. I also reminded her that he's on The Good Place too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/10/2019 at 3:51 PM, BTBAM310 said:

While watching this, my girlfriend said "isn't he gay?" and I told her she was thinking of his character from Brooklyn Nine Nine. I also reminded her that he's on The Good Place too.

In real life, Mark Evan Jackson is married to a woman.

Share this post


Link to post

It was nice to see Rowan Blanchard pop up on the show. I hope it wasn't a one-off. I thought that the Mae storyline kind of came out of nowhere but I thought it was well-done. 

I do agree with others that this isn't getting renewed, so we're fast-tracking to a happily ever after ending for Martin and Lena.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't really know Rowan Blanchard but she made an impression. China was an annoying know it all teen, but she has great presence. I loved how the whole thing with Mae was handled.

I continue to find this show charming and adorable and unique, and continue to be baffled that it hasn't much of an audience.

Martin: "I really want you to taste my nachos next time. They're really good!"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I have watched this show from the start but I must admit I found this weeks episode unappealing.  I don’t have children so maybe some would say I don’t get an opinion on their teens but watching them, especially the daughter, be so disrespectful and condescending to the mom, was unsettling.  Makes me even more grateful that I chose to not have kids.  The show is soooo much better when there is little focus on the kids, except the youngest, he is still pretty cute.  If there are more episodes like this I won’t be sad If it is cancelled.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I was fuming at how disrespectful Mae and her girlfriend were to her mother. I’m as laid back as they come but I would never let my kids talk to me that way.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I’m with you @Madding crowd .  I just watched the episode and could not believe it.  Furthermore allowing your teens to be with their bf/gf and the door closed?  Oh hell no!  Is that really a thing these days?  25 years ago when I was in high school it completely was not.  Sure we still found ways to make out, but not on my bed (unless my parents weren’t home lol).  

I wanted to mouth smack Mae and China.  Wow!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/19/2019 at 6:59 PM, geauxaway said:

I’m with you @Madding crowd .  I just watched the episode and could not believe it.  Furthermore allowing your teens to be with their bf/gf and the door closed?  Oh hell no!  Is that really a thing these days?  25 years ago when I was in high school it completely was not.  Sure we still found ways to make out, but not on my bed (unless my parents weren’t home lol).  

I wanted to mouth smack Mae and China.  Wow!

They keep portraying the parents on this show to be: "We have to be strict, but we have to be fun." to: "Oh hell no! What are you thinking! Even though I'm counteracting myself." My nephews during this age were NOT allowed to be alone in their room with their girlfriends. My nieces now who are almost done with high school, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law would hang any boy upside down and toss him on the fence if they even tried that. The writers of this show DO NOT know parents and kids these days. They either over exaggerate helicopter parenting, friend parenting or act like they are all super hormone crazed that they would go after a teacher if the shoe fit.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

This continues to be such a bizarre show. Hudson and Fischer just ooze chemistry and they are so adorable together, but the show can't just have them be together just yet so it is this weird mix where they're all super adorable with each other and it doesn't actually go anywhere. It's bizarre, but I'll put up for how adorable Fischer is and how well she plays Lena's reactions when Martin makes her happy. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I like the original family characters, even the kids, but I think I'm done: I can't stand the extra characters that are getting more play this year. I don't think the show has much choice, since there's a limit to how much time you can spend on just the one couple, but still. Ick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think the actress who plays the teen daughter missed her true calling.  She should have been a ventriloquist.  All that talking and not moving her mouth.

Share this post


Link to post

I watch religiously and adore Jenna Fischer and Oliver Hudson and Lindsey Price. I just need a lot more Lena and Martin and real conversations, and a lot less filler. And maybe a good honest family conversation with th kids about what has been going on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am obsessed with Lena's clothes ... nice job by the costume designer ... Lena re-wore a cute pink top with ruffly short sleeves that she wore in a previous episode. Yes, I notice this stuff!

I enjoyed the episode. I liked the plan for their 'tres cas' dinner, and the fact that Lena dressed up but said it was the only thing clean that she had. And of course Martin's new jeans with the sticker on.

The dog falling into a narcoleptic spell was cute.

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I liked the plan for their 'tres cas' dinner, and the fact that Lena dressed up but said it was the only thing clean that she had. And of course Martin's new jeans with the sticker on.

And his deep red Valentine's-colored shirt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×