CuriousParker

The Pioneer Woman

14 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

I had always heard to use the portabello was the substitute for the actual meat. 

That's what I've always seen as well.  Portabello mushrooms have almost a "meaty" taste.  And in no way could you use them as buns and hope to pick it up.

14 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

It was just her borderline disdainful way of expressing herself. 

She always comes across as though those who don't embrace loads of sugar and fat are just silly.  Because you can - a whole buncha won't hurt you.  Moron.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

Leave off the bun and just eat it with a knife and fork 

My mom used to use a lettuce leaf as a bun.

• Like 2

peacheslatour

My mom used to use a lettuce leaf as a bun.

We also had the lettuce bun, until Mom decided meat/fork was better.  Too many soggy lettuce leaves going in the garbage. 

I see this is the new hang out, and wow, hard to find.  Did everyone have a wonderful PW Christmas with their items/food/show/snark.  My sister in law did buy me a few items.  I love the oval bakers, and have used them every single time.  I also received her bag/casserole dish.  (Am I crazy).

We did make her mash potatoes (with all the butter, cheese, and cream cheese), Dr. Pepper ham, gravy, cinnamon buns, gingerbread cookies, and fruit salad.  (Again, am I crazy.)

My family loved everything of hers I made, also made Ina and Martina (Those peanut butter incredibles are to die for.)  The new shows of course still offer plenty of snark, as well as the old.  I did notice she ate the ice cream, but none of the rest.  To the garbage it went I am sure.  

OMG:  Speaking of other TV shows of Pawhuska/Osage County.  America in Color on Smithsonian Channel talked about how the Indians being moved to Osage County in the late 1800's.  They Struck oil in the early 20's to 30's, and rented the land back to the government.  These became the wealthiest Indians, bought buildings, planes, and more land.  Hmmm, wonder how much land the Drummonds brought from them.  

Todd and Bryce are so tall, and growing handsome by the day.  Poor Paige and Alex are going to favor their Mom look wise.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bessiesue said:

America in Color on Smithsonian Channel talked about how the Indians being moved to Osage County in the late 1800's.  They Struck oil in the early 20's to 30's, and rented the land back to the government.  These became the wealthiest Indians, bought buildings, planes, and more land.  Hmmm, wonder how much land the Drummonds brought from them.  

Killers of the Flower Moon talks about how the systematic murders of the Osage Indians and multiple layers of corruption and deception by whites in that area all the way up to the Federal level.  One wonders if the Drummonds came by that land legally or if their ancestors were involved.  It wasn't that long ago, in the 1920's.

Glad you enjoyed her recipes.  I wouldn't touch one if someone paid me to do it.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Killers of the Flower Moon talks about how the systematic murders of the Osage Indians and multiple layers of corruption and deception by whites in that area all the way up to the Federal level.  One wonders if the Drummonds came by that land legally or if their ancestors were involved.  It wasn't that long ago, in the 1920's.

Glad you enjoyed her recipes.  I wouldn't touch one if someone paid me to do it.

I make her Key Lime Pie because it was the first recipe I found for it before I ever watched her show. Of course I modify it to the point that she probably wouldn't recognize it.

• Like 2

I hate Ree's recipes, too. The only one I tried was the sour cream hamburger noodle bake thing because it reminded me of a recipe my mom made when I was growing up. (I hated her version, too.) It was gross and bland. The ONE time when some sriracha or ubiquitous pepper jack cheese would have helped, it's mysteriously missing. I don't know why I wasted my time and money. 

For FN hosts, I stick to Ina and Giada (and formerly) Nigella. 

• Like 2

Looks like we lost "Baked in Vermont" and "Girl Meets Farm," in the reorganization.

I haven't heard if BiV got picked up for a third season. I don't care either way about GMF.  The "sprinkles" novelty has worn off for me. However, I was super impressed to see Molly make perfect pita bread from scratch the other day. Even most of the seasoned bakers on GBBO couldn't handled that challenge!

So if Gesine's show gets renewed (which I am beginning to sadly doubt) do we discuss it here?

• Like 1

So if Gesine's show gets renewed (which I am beginning to sadly doubt) do we discuss it here?

I guess. There really are no guidelines regarding what this thread is supposed to be about, might as well throw small talk in here too.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

I haven't heard if BiV got picked up for a third season. I don't care either way about GMF. 

I agree.  Would kill to have BIV back but GMF was kind of blah.  I wanted to like it and I do like her but I agree that the sprinkles things was too much like the buncha hot crap that Ree throws into every dish.  

I got Gesine's autobiography, My Life From Scratch, for Christmas.  VERY interesting and not at all what I expected from viewing the show.  And she throws in recipes along the way sp I recommend it - good reading.

• Like 1

Found ya’s.  Happy new year all. 

Is there NOT a show that involves her or someone driving? 

Turns out as far a Aussie farmers are concerned, Ree is what we call a ”fuk in a truck” Sits in vehicle and is good for shit on the farm for nothing but... well yeah 

who in the hell makes a meal then drives over an hour to have it reeheated by your step mother to celebrate dads retirement, dumb as a sack of rocks as far as story lines go.

and why does a cooking show need a story line, beats the shit outta me. 

I stumbled onto her lasagna recipe years ago, I think the reviews and Rafa fan gurls ratings duped me into it, the damn dog wouldn’t even eat it, lesson learned I should have stuck with the recipe I already had.  I still remember the look on my sons faces when I ruined their favourite mum food.  And I have been a “fan” (lol) ever since.

The best I have seen of her since she turned up on our tv’s here was a baby wiener dog.....awwww a puppy..... then her voice, bamb! I slammed the heck outta that remote to shut that thing up. 

Speaking of cooking, time I got to it!  Later tatters 

Edited by OzzieChick
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, OzzieChick said:

Well, they have to beat us over the head with the "we live in the middle of NOWHERE" trope like we'd forget by the next episode.  And she really does come across as good for shit for anything but her so called cooking up atrocities which probably nobody actually eats.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I make her Key Lime Pie because it was the first recipe I found for it before I ever watched her show. Of course I modify it to the point that she probably wouldn't recognize it.

Is that the one she freezes as a whole, or in the individual cups.  We hated the freezer version.

19 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

The only one I tried was the sour cream hamburger noodle bake thing because it reminded me of a recipe my mom made when I was growing up. (I hated her version, too.)

I tried that one as well, and we also hated it.  Most of the FN reviews on the recipe state the same issue, very bland.  One of my co workers has her Mother's recipe, and it follows the same path, but uses spaghetti sauce, and tastes so much better. 

8 hours ago, OzzieChick said:

LOL!  I have not seen BiV or GMF drive around yet.  I think the driving is their way of re-hashing unaired episodes, or recycling old episodes.  

18 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

Looks like we lost "Baked in Vermont" and "Girl Meets Farm," in the reorganization.

BiV:  Any show that features their dog as a regular cast member, is a win in our book.  We love that show.  I also love GMF, and she has the only show that I am interested hearing from the husband on the farm work, and family.  

17 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I got Gesine's autobiography, My Life From Scratch, for Christmas.  VERY interesting and not at all what I expected from viewing the show.  And she throws in recipes along the way sp I recommend it - good reading.

I have a birthday coming up, and I am going to request that book.  Unlike poor Papa, Ladd or Todd:  I have NOT requested the infamous texas sheet cake, or nutella and strawberries inbetween.  I have requested the milky way cake.  I know it is outrageous, but we love it.  I have been told this is my go to recipe for all the church/work bake sales, and it is always the first to sell.  Sometimes, I wish Missy would have a hissy fit, and have a show or two.  

https://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/milky-way-cake-3/

I really miss Amy and Nancy.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bessiesue said:

I have a birthday coming up, and I am going to request that book. 

I haven't finished it but loving it so far.  It's quite a departure from what we see on TV but it a good way.  Love the section where she has a sugar high from eating a whole package of oreos.

She includes this recipe which is one I have made numerous times.  I only do half a recipe in a 5 inch spring-form pan though and only when I have company because they all love it. Otherwise I'd eat the whole thing myself!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/devils-cream-cake-5238220

Is that the one she freezes as a whole, or in the individual cups.  We hated the freezer version.

There was nothing about freezing the recipe I used. It was just very skimpy and not very rich surprising for her, I know.

21 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

I haven't heard if BiV got picked up for a third season. I don't care either way about GMF.  The "sprinkles" novelty has worn off for me. However, I was super impressed to see Molly make perfect pita bread from scratch the other day. Even most of the seasoned bakers on GBBO couldn't handled that challenge!

Just as an FYI Baked In Vermont is here and Girl Meets Farm is here

THANK YOU, mishy!  I just looked in the "B" and "G" vaults and didn't see either of these listed. 

TBH, I thought both shows would get the axe. There wasn't that much discussion for either, but happy to see the forums/topics still exist.

• Like 3

This is apropos of nothing but I just landed on a Gaida show. Is it my imagination or is her head WAY too big for her body?  It's kind of freaky.

• Like 3

It's some type of body type. Another post a l-o-n-g time ago explained it.  It's a type of build of very petite, thin women with seemingly oversized heads. Some other examples besides Giada included Nancy Reagan and Susan Lucci.

• Like 1

Ree’s (and Hyacinth’s) name-dropping of Osage County is so annoying. She started doing that when that Meryl Streep movie came out (that nobody cared about other than it being that year’s Best Way Meryl Streep Showed Up To Work annual Oscar nomination), as if it would make Hollywood go, “OMG Osage County is a real place‽” and come in droves. Like they would’ve had a premiere of the movie there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Automne said:

Ree’s (and Hyacinth’s) name-dropping of Osage County is so annoying. She started doing that when that Meryl Streep movie came out (that nobody cared about other than it being that year’s Best Way Meryl Streep Showed Up To Work annual Oscar nomination), as if it would make Hollywood go, “OMG Osage County is a real place‽” and come in droves. Like they would’ve had a premiere of the movie there.

Ree's Rubes probably would.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Ree's Rubes probably would.

Ree's Rubes - good one! 

This (s)hero worship is really quite disturbing.  How can people be so easily led around by the nose like that?  It's like all of those sheeple that bought into LuLaNo and are now stuck with zillions of dollars of fugly stuff.  Initially it was selling like hotcakes and I wouldn't use it for rags.  But the brain dead women were told how wonderful it was an snapped it up without apparently ever looking in a mirror.

Same rubes buy Ree's crappy stuff made in China and think it's just fab because they've been told it is.

Grow a brain.

• Like 2

Seriously. I don’t just mindlessly buy something because a celebrity hawks it. If it turns out to be a good product, then sure, but I’m going to do the research first. My first stop is actually checking the equipment reviews on Cook’s Illustrated/America’s Test Kitchen. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Automne said:

My first stop is actually checking the equipment reviews on Cook’s Illustrated/America’s Test Kitchen. 

Ditto!  I always go their first and have always been satisfied with their recommendations.  I wouldn't own anything from Ree if she sent it to me for free.

• Like 3

When is this show going to officially change its name to "Little Make-Ahead Meals on the Prairie?" That's ALL she does! "I'm making giant batches of soup to keep in the freezer." "I am going to make a casserole and keep it in the fridge for a few days before I heat it up and serve it to my hungry cowboys." I know, it makes sense, given the fact that she lives in the middle of nowhere, but she's not so isolated that she has to wait for the next biplane to take her to the mainland. She and Marlboro Douche have a fleet of filthy trucks at their disposal. I'm sure in a pinch she could ride a tractor into town like George Jones.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Ree's Rubes - good one! 

This (s)hero worship is really quite disturbing.  How can people be so easily led around by the nose like that?  It's like all of those sheeple that bought into LuLaNo and are now stuck with zillions of dollars of fugly stuff.  Initially it was selling like hotcakes and I wouldn't use it for rags.  But the brain dead women were told how wonderful it was an snapped it up without apparently ever looking in a mirror.

Same rubes buy Ree's crappy stuff made in China and think it's just fab because they've been told it is.

Grow a brain.

"Lularoe, the easiest, most expensive way to look twice your age."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

"Lularoe, the easiest, most expensive way to look twice your age."

And twice your weight.

• Like 2

At the company I recently left, there were a few LuLaRoe parties, which I never attended. Some of the middle-aged women bought clothes and they were indeed, very frumpy. 

• Like 1

I got sick for a few weeks and thought they deleted this forum! HATE the one thread. They've done this other places too where it makes even less sense - UK Masterchef is now one thread for 3 distinct programs. Ugh.

On 1/6/2019 at 2:44 PM, CharlizeCat said:

I really didn't care for her smug attitude about food choices and healthy eating. I get that she was trying to say that it makes more sense and is easier to stick to a plan that introduced small gradual changes instead of immediate deprivation. It was just her borderline disdainful way of expressing herself. 

She could keep eating every stinkin' burger bun she wanted if she'd just leave off half the candy/sugar toppings she puts on desserts, most of which, I'm sure, you can't even taste. 

• Like 1

Today's episodes featured making post-football practice snacks for Surly and Sullen (e.g. Todd and Bryce.) 

Just because the boys are burning off a lot of calories with all of their physical activities, loading them up on fatty fried and cheese-laden dishes really isn't going to do much good. In fact, it might make then nauseous. This was the one episode that was crying for a lean grilled steak, chicken or even burgers that went light on the toppings. Also, if the boys have loved broccoli since they were young, then why serve it to them with a heavy cheesy dipping sauce?  You know it was a heavy thick sauce when Ree said it could also be used to make mac 'n cheese.

The blueberry crumble dessert didn't make any sense because I didn't understand why you had to roll it out before you baked it. I thought you usually dumped crumble topping on a sheet pan, spread it out and baked it? Why go to all of the trouble if you were only using a tablespoon or so per serving?  I have also never seen heavy cream or egg yolks added to a crumble mixture.   I think the whole point was so the dessert ingredients could become a "dessert kit." I wouldn't hide yummy black raspberry ice cream under a layer of sweet blueberry sauce, that ridiculous crumble and whipped cream.

While I am not a Patriots fan, I would have paid good money to see the boys come in, look at the food, scoff and comment that, "Tom Brady never eats the kind of food," and walk away. 

I don't think that Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes have to worry about those two taking their jobs.

I think Ree summed it up quite accurately at the end of the show when she said something about "quarterbacks' moms" also enjoying the food. She basically made all of that slop for herself.

Edited by CharlizeCat
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, CharlizeCat said:

Surly and Sullen

Ha!  Good one!

I can't watch anymore.  Just listening to her makes me nauseated even before she start hawking her pre-emergency angiogram crap.

• Like 3

Hi gang!

Just stopping in to say hello.  As some of you know, my last fall resulted in four fractured bones in my back.  I was hospitalized for about ten days and then sent to a rehab institution for physical therapy in hopes that I could walk again.  The therapy was unsuccessful, so I came home on Oct. 19th.  Since then,  I have had more physical therapy as well as practice on my own, but without success.  I can’t even get into a wheelchair, so I spend my time watching  TV from a hospital bed here at home.  Life goes on, and it could be worse.  Thanks to you kind souls for cards and letters.  They cheer me like you wouldn’t believe.  Your well wishes are so appreciated.

I’ve seen a few shows with  Ree (My laptop thinks that Ree is an error!  LOL). Her phony voice and terrible food continue to amaze and irritate me.  Question: When the Drummond brood has left home, will she continue getting high ratings?  Will Ladd stay around the ranch and live with Ree’s hen-pecking?  Enough speculating!                               

I’ll bring this nonsense to a close with huggles and ladylike kisses for all.  I’ll be back as soon as I can.  Meanwhile, if you sent Ree a care package, what would you put in it?  

Love to all.  XO XO XO XO XO XO XO XO XO XO                                 

• Like 13

SO good to hear from you despite the fact that you have not bounced back like you would have wanted.  Love your attitude that it could be worse, hopefully that will carry you onward.  

A Ree care package, huh?  A book of hair and make up tips.  And a copy of Cook's Illustrated.  

Hang in there, Lura!  

• Like 2

Lura! It's so good to see you back here! I hope you progressively get better and are up and around at least somewhat.  Big hugs to your lovely husband too.

• Like 1

Great to hear from you Lura and so sorry  you are bed-ridden for now....glad you have the hospital bed. Hope you are not in pain as well and get the best physical therapy!

Edited by maggiemae
  • Like 1

So good to hear from you, Lura!  Hope you get better and stronger every day and can rejoin us soon!  This place isn't the same without you.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 10:32 AM, CharlizeCat said:

Today's episodes featured making post-football practice snacks for Surly and Sullen (e.g. Todd and Bryce.) 

Just because the boys are burning off a lot of calories with all of their physical activities, loading them up on fatty fried and cheese-laden dishes really isn't going to do much good. In fact, it might make then nauseous. This was the one episode that was crying for a lean grilled steak, chicken or even burgers that went light on the toppings. Also, if the boys have loved broccoli since they were young, then why serve it to them with a heavy cheesy dipping sauce?  You know it was a heavy thick sauce when Ree said it could also be used to make mac 'n cheese.

The blueberry crumble dessert didn't make any sense because I didn't understand why you had to roll it out before you baked it. I thought you usually dumped crumble topping on a sheet pan, spread it out and baked it? Why go to all of the trouble if you were only using a tablespoon or so per serving?  I have also never seen heavy cream or egg yolks added to a crumble mixture.   I think the whole point was so the dessert ingredients could become a "dessert kit." I wouldn't hide yummy black raspberry ice cream under a layer of sweet blueberry sauce, that ridiculous crumble and whipped cream.

While I am not a Patriots fan, I would have paid good money to see the boys come in, look at the food, scoff and comment that, "Tom Brady never eats the kind of food," and walk away. 

I don't think that Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes have to worry about those two taking their jobs.

I think Ree summed it up quite accurately at the end of the show when she said something about "quarterbacks' moms" also enjoying the food. She basically made all of that slop for herself.

Love the nicknames of the boys and agree on the analysis of their quarterbacking "skills".

• Like 2

@Lura, thinking best thoughts for you! 

On 2/2/2019 at 12:32 PM, CharlizeCat said:

I have also never seen heavy cream or egg yolks added to a crumble mixture.   I think the whole point was so the dessert ingredients could become a "dessert kit." I wouldn't hide yummy black raspberry ice cream under a layer of sweet blueberry sauce, that ridiculous crumble and whipped cream.

Agree 100% - never cream of any kind or egg yolks - wtf? 

Her desserts are nauseating. 

• Like 3

How lovely to read Lura's post.  sounds a realy awful time BUT hopefully progress (even if it feels like the

ppace of a snail). .  

yesterday I saw a few  episdoes of The Ree-ness. New ones to me.. heavens above....when will she learn that less is more? (a pointless and rhettoricak question).. one thing was a burger: well, it wasnt really a burger.. it was a skyscraper sandwiched between 2  bits of nlrmal burger-type bun. two HUGE burgers layered between a dollop macaroni cheese, deep frked string onions, sliced tomato, lettuce, think ranch dressing came into it as well, cheese slices, pickles and probably several other things but my mind timed out at the sight of this horror.. Then Monster  Meatballs, the size of which defies description.. . the next episode was one of the glorious (yeah, right!) 16 minute  meals' excitements.  

hyacinth popped up, to share fried shrimp (and random stuff) and grits. H's hair was at its most "unusual" in terms of oddly non-matchiing length, but maye this is a thing ive missed out on.

excuse any awful  mistakes.  my laptop keeled over (total death) and I'musing mini IPad.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mandolia said:

excuse any awful  mistakes.  my laptop keeled over (total death) and I'musing mini IPad.

Thank heavens you explained. I thought you were having a stroke or something!

5 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

Her desserts are nauseating. 

Pretty much all of her stuff is but when she butchers a perfectly wonderful dessert, I draw the line.  Time for her to go run her B&B or something and stop torturing food.

• Like 3

Today’s rerun dessert atrocity-2 marshmallows on a skewer dipped in milk chocolate then rolled in crushed cookies. Enough? Because that sounds like sugar overload. No, not enough. Then dipped in white chocolate and rolled in another layer of crushed cookies. 

Have mercy!

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

Just found this forum.  While I give Rhee great credit for revitalizing a small OK town, and that really is amazing to me, anybody who cooks using cream of mushroom soup doesn't need to be on TV.  I'm also snarky about her daughters.  One looks like she has gained a lot of weight and the other has made an unfortunate hair color decision.

On 1/18/2019 at 9:15 AM, Kohola3 said:

This is apropos of nothing but I just landed on a Gaida show. Is it my imagination or is her head WAY too big for her body?  It's kind of freaky.

Way back when on  Television without Pity, Giada's forum was called "In the kitchen with little big head"  :D

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3