CuriousParker

Pit Bulls And Parolees

On 1/1/2019 at 9:54 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I stopped contributing to the ASPCA when they started advertising like they are national, instead of limited to NYC only.    

I never knew they are NYC only. Does that mean all contributions go to NYC only? 

• Useful 1

The ASPCA is NYC only, the five boroughs.    They aren't even the official animal control group.    

They got rid of the humane enforcement section that was featured on Animal Precinct (or Animal Cops), years ago.     They also had a hoarders unit that would confiscate animals from horrific conditions, and in the cases they showed on TV would give some back to the person.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 1:33 PM, chenoa333 said:

I never knew they are NYC only. Does that mean all contributions go to NYC only? 

Just my opinion, but I look at the big national animal welfare non profits as a double edged sword. They do a great job at raising awareness - not so great at actually helping individual animals. The starving and shivering puppy in the commercial will, in all probably, not receive help from any money donated to a big time national non profit - may be saved if you donate to a local rescue organization. Before contributing anything take a few minutes, go online, and check the charity rating.

Last I checked ASPCA, most of the money goes to overhead and money raising expenses. May have changed, but IIRC there was quite a stink when someone noted head of ASPCA was receiving half million dollar plus a year salary. Just seems wrong to air commercials of shivering animals and claim I can save them if I donate from my fixed income retirement check when the guys in the suits running the show are are banking big bucks. Yes, money is spent on shelters and investigation of animal cruelty, in NY, where the ASPCA is contracted to run shelters and investigate - but none filters down to local shelters.

Soooooo, if there is a needy shelter/organization in your area, donate directly (after checking THEM out). Likely, the only benefit they get from the big national organizations is the tugging on your heartstrings.

Edited by SRTouch · Reason: Added text in bold
  • Like 5

Holy crap, I gasped upon seeing the update that Humperdinck died three weeks later.

I wonder if the adopter will get her next senior locally or return to VRC; Molly-O was adorable, and Anthony’s lazy self cracked me up.  There was something a little off about the adopter to me that I couldn’t put my finger on when she was at VRC, but whatever it was I didn’t sense it at her home, so maybe it was just some awkwardness in an unfamiliar environment.

I salute her mission of going through the grieving process over and over so the seniors can spend whatever time they have left in a home.  I’m really bummed it was such a short time, but I hope he settled in nicely – as great as a home is, it must be quite an adjustment after so long in a kennel – and lived out his final weeks in comfort and love.

Humperdinck’s fate really deflated my balloon, but I loved seeing Country Matt again.  I just adore him.  His banter with Earl in the grocery store was funny, and I love him making Earl don the chef’s hat.  If he looked up a recipe, he should have known to grind everything up, but I’ll go with it.

Those poor puppies with all the fire ant bites!  Just one of those suckers hurts like hell.  Tia’s reaction to the Teletubbies names was terrific.

• Like 9

Followup on Hump's story from the VRC FB page - after he passed the adopter returned and took home Anthony. So, not only did Humperdinck have a chance to punch a few items on his bucket list in his last days, Anthony Soprano found a forever home.

Oh, and apparently a few posters criticized VRC for Hump's adoption, saying he looked 'sad' as he was laying on the grass and that he was better off back at VRC.... uh, WTF!?! I certainly didn't get that vibe when I watched that scene. Seemed to strike a nerve with Tia, as she went off on the nay sayers.

• Like 9

The only thing sadder than Hump dying 3 weeks after finding a home would have been Hump dying in a VRC kennel.

I am very glad Anthony Soprano has a chance at a better life.  I just loved the look of him, and his energy (or lack thereof) was just my style!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Followup on Hump's story from the VRC FB page - after he passed the adopter returned and took home Anthony. So, not only did Humperdinck have a chance to punch a few items on his bucket list in his last days, Anthony Soprano found a forever home.

Yay!  I was wondering if she'd come back for one of them.  Now Anthony gets to do absolutely nothing in the comfort of a home, and that's fantastic.  And he was "only" ten or so, so I like that she may be cosmically rewarded for choosing Hump - she came in wanting to save the one who needed her most, and that's what she did, without hesitation - by having her next one stick around a while.

Oh, and apparently a few posters criticized VRC for Hump's adoption, saying he looked 'sad' as he was laying on the grass and that he was better off back at VRC....

I hate people.  The dog had just arrived at a home after a very long time in a kennel.  Of course he's going to need an adjustment period, and the adopter explicitly said - and this was just as important as her willingness to handle the meds and subQ fluids - she'd give him time and space to settle in however he wanted.  Just because he wasn't frolicking around the yard - and, hello, he's quite old - doesn't mean he was sad.  And how would he have been better off at VRC?  It's possible the stress of moving moved up the timeline some, but better to die a little earlier in a quiet home with the love of one person on a daily basis than to hang on a little longer and die in a busy kennel with a variety of people who love him but can only spend limited time with him.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 12

Good for Anthony! I love him and his low energy style and am glad the adopter came back for him! I think Hump was definitely better off having a loving home even if it was for a short time but that news was still heartbreaking at end of show.

• Like 7

I had a feeling poor Humperdinck wouldn't live long after his arrival, partly because of the way he plopped down on the grass in a new place instead of exploring a little.  That read as extreme exhaustion to me, not sadness at all.  I hope he got royally spoiled while he was there.  Heartbreaker, and as usual upsetting for my cats when I cry out loud.  

• Like 4

At least Humperdink had a great life, in a home, no matter how short a time it was.   14 is a very old dog for an animal of his size.     I love that the adopter could come back and get Anthony.    She's a wonderful woman to only get senior dogs.    

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Calamity Jane said:

I had a feeling poor Humperdinck wouldn't live long after his arrival, partly because of the way he plopped down on the grass in a new place instead of exploring a little.  That read as extreme exhaustion to me, not sadness at all.  I hope he got royally spoiled while he was there.  Heartbreaker, and as usual upsetting for my cats when I cry out loud.  

Exactly right. I felt everyone, VRC staff, the vet, and the adopter felt his adoption was more hospice than a forever home. IIRC we heard that he had been receiving fluids once a week, and they were upping that to twice a week. If I heard right, his blood pressure had been 160 on his last vet visit, and was up to 200 during the checkup for the trip... I was kind of surprised the vet gave the go ahead for the trip. Had me googling to find out how you measure a dog's blood pressure - pretty simple, actually - looks like what I have on my nightstand with a smaller cuff, pretty cheap to buy a monitor, too.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Gradylydon said:

Does anyone know what happened to Dr. Kristen?

She's still the owner of Cypress Lake Animal Hospital, but VRC is going to a different veterinary clinic now (I'm not sure if it's in addition to or in place of Cypress Lake), so that's why we're seeing a different vet.  Cypress Lake isn't all that conveniently located to either the city or country location (although I don't think much of anything is conveniently located to Assumption Parish), but obviously Dr. Kristen and staff were fantastic, so they started driving there (rather than the place in the city they'd initially been going to upon relocating to New Orleans).  This place may be better located, at least in relation to the city, so if they found another vet they can trust and get reasonably-priced services from, that would be a logical reason to switch.  But I haven't paid attention to the clinic name to look it up.

I did just check Cypress Lake's Facebook page, though, and VRC, Tia, the Tayho, etc. are all still listed as related pages/liked by this page, so perhaps they take the country dogs there still and now use this new place for the city dogs.  And it seems Cypress Lake works with other rescues as well.  Dr. Kristen is good peeps!

• Like 10

As someone who has fostered senior dogs (and fought vehemently for two of them the shelter almost tagged unadoptable due to poor early socialization) and who has taken in my share of senior and fospice cats, I absolutely believe even a few weeks in a home is worthwhile.   The old man in my photo took longer to come around than any cat I ever had, but he got there.  When his partner cat died, he stepped up and took over the important cat jobs (asking for food, getting underfoot, filing complaints with management).  My aunt has the first dog I fostered.  He was a mess.  Within days we could see what a great dog he was.  He is now 12 and the happiest, most spoiled dog in the world.  He fills my aunt's world with joy.

I am sure Humperdink had the best ending he could.  His person came for him, cared for him and gave him a safe place to call his own.  If all animals and people could have that, the world would be a much better place.  And now Anthony is with this same wonderful person.  It's a win in my book. 

• Like 14

There were some ugly tears in my house watching that. If I had the money and space, I'd have nothing but shelter hospice dogs and cats. Hell, I'd even take in other animals. 

I thought Matt moved north with a girlfriend? Going back for 2 months is super loyal, but what about his new life? 

• Like 5

I think they use Cypress Lake for the Assumption Parish animals, and a closer vet for the city location.

Yes, Matt married his girlfriend and stayed in NYC.    In fact they both came down and filmed a couple of hound adoption episode a couple of years ago.   He also came down and was working with his brother a few episodes or so, so maybe this was all filmed around the same time. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

On 2/16/2019 at 10:07 PM, Bastet said:

I wonder if the adopter will get her next senior locally or return to VRC; Molly-O was adorable, and Anthony’s lazy self cracked me up.  There was something a little off about the adopter to me that I couldn’t put my finger on when she was at VRC, but whatever it was I didn’t sense it at her home, so maybe it was just some awkwardness in an unfamiliar environment.

Tia also posted on her page that Molly-O was successfully adopted out, so all three seniors in this episode found forever homes!

• Like 3

Some people are very nervous about being on camera.    I hate having my picture taken, and if someone stuck a video camera in my face, I would look like a zombie.   So maybe the adopter was just very nervous about talking on camera, and who knows how many takes they had to do.  

• Like 3