saoirse

Kids Baking Championship

I complained to my husband that this is not baking (using canned biscuits).  Then, as if on cue, Diff and Valerie started explaining (excusing)  why it was acceptable to use canned biscuits (i.e., "Everyone in the world making monkey bread uses tinned biscuits..." ).

So, is it then a decorating challenge?  Then they were all underwhelming.  It was just a poor choice.  I liked Madison because she is good tv.  But I don't think I could excuse the unsweetened chocolate rice crispy treats.

Edited by Grumpbump
  • Like 1

This is the second week in a row of poor choices. Last week was THE WORST, though. How big an advantage was it to be assigned goat cheese, rather than BLUE cheese? And it was proven, when Goat Cheese won, and Blue Cheese was sent home.  And CURRY?  Come on, man.  I know you're running out of ideas, but we're scraping the bottom of the barrel, here. The kids deserve better. 

I will miss Madison's snark and stink eye when she's not pleased. Although last night, she hauled it out a little TOO much. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Between this show and "Top Chef" I'm finding myself adding to the list of "Foods I've Never Even Seen,  Let Alone Eaten." See: Monkey Bread. (Neither "Monkey" nor "Bread." Tawk amongst yourselves.)

It's a staple at a restaurant I go to fairly regularly. It's on their appetizers menu and is a savory one served with different sauces. I'm not a huge fan, but some days half the tables in the place have monkey bread on their tables. And the restaurant is always full.

I think that this particular challenge is showing that the kids really don't have a lot of baking experience / skill. Monkey bread? Really? Some of the kids really don't know what they are doing in any way at all. Paige (?) or Madison (?) constantly opening her oven for the second week in a row, juice instead of a sauce, the unsweetened chocolate, it was really just a shit show from a baking POV.

The pointless twists don't help either.

I don't mind having a kids' baking competition, but we have to stop the charade that this is a high level of quality baking.

Edited by Eliza422
  • Like 1

After 2 weeks of challenges that I found very interesting, I was pretty disappointed with this week's challenge. Count me among the people who had no idea what Monkey Bread was. And yes, that they used canned biscuits was really uninspiring. I would have to imagine that many (most?) of these kids had no idea what Monkey Bread was either, so the producers must have given them some instruction on it. And the dry ice thing was pointless, too.

Based on all of that, I really have no idea how to judge how the kids did. It really felt like "cut up some canned biscuit dough and throw it in a pan with your given fruit, put it in the oven." Decorating-wise, it was all pretty lazy. Even Davis, who seems to have some drawing skills, basically made some coating-chocolate shapes and threw them all on top. It didn't look very pretty. Happy that Meadow won and bummed that Madison got the boot, but all in all a boring challenge/episode.

Of the kids remaining, Davis seems to be a front-runner, but IMHO it's more because none of the other kids has really shown real baking skill; for some reason, most of them feel like they do not actually have much baking experience. Nyah in particular feels like she is winging it and getting lucky. Who actually wins will depend on how complicated the challenge is.

29 minutes ago, Eliza422 said:

I don't mind having a kids' baking competition, but we have to stop the charade that this is a high level of quality baking.

All the hype before the season started was about how good these kids were. But I think they are proving to be weaker overall than in most of the previous seasons.

• Like 2

Ah, monkey bread.  One of my favorite things growing up.

I will miss Madison and her oversized glasses and deadpan delivery.  I knew it was her turn to go when a large part of the cooking session was on her, with Paige and Nyah a close second.  

• Like 2

Not sad to see Madison go - she was getting really annoying.  I wish someone would just tell Paige to stop opening her oven and let her stuff bake! 

• Like 9

On 2/19/2019 at 12:12 PM, Shenanigan said:

Curious as to how much butter you use? Watching this show has made me want to make monkey bread, lol.

I want to say one stick but I can check the recipe tonight when I get home. 

ETA:

Confirmed - 1 stick of butter.  My recipe also calls for 3 cans of biscuits - 10 in each can.  My recipe is also ancient so the cans of biscuits these day may be bigger than they used to be so you may be able to use fewer cans.  You just need enough quartered pieces to almost fill a bundt pan.

Edited by Mrs. Stanwyck · Reason: add recipe information
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bkathi said:

Not sad to see Madison go - she was getting really annoying.  I wish someone would just tell Paige to stop opening her oven and let her stuff bake! 

I believe Duff did tell her that last week, because she was doing the exact same thing.  Guess she didn't believe him.

I must be the only person who dislikes canned biscuits. No matter what you do to them, they've got that processed taste. 

Davis is really a talented artist. That freehand  monkey was as cute as his goat, if not as perfect. 

I didn't care for the way Valerie spoke to Madison (or was it Paige?) "Because you've been to so many volcanoes?" It was just sarcastic and kind of mean sounding. 

Edited by librarianbeck
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bkathi said:

Not sad to see Madison go - she was getting really annoying

I have not liked her for a while. And her baking is not on par with the top few.  It was pretty obvious she was done the whole episode, her editing went from sassy to outright brat this week. 

As far as baking Davis is the best, as far as personality, it's gotta be Meadow.

Edited by docmatt · Reason: hit return too early
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

Paige (?) or Madison (?) constantly opening her oven for the second week in a row,

I think Paige is the only baker using the conventional oven right in her station.  The others are using the smaller convection ovens (?) away from where they are mixing.  Could this be the difference?  I understand her wanting her product close by and if she's never used the other kind of oven, to be wary of it, but yeah, the repeated opening the door and checking it will be her undoing.  

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Valerie was a bit too snarky this week. I don't think it's appropriate to joke with kids in the same way  you would with adults, they don't always know how to take it and it makes you look mean when they don't.  

15 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

I think Paige is the only baker using the conventional oven right in her station.  The others are using the smaller convection ovens (?) away from where they are mixing.  Could this be the difference?  I understand her wanting her product close by and if she's never used the other kind of oven, to be wary of it, but yeah, the repeated opening the door and checking it will be her undoing.  

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Valerie was a bit too snarky this week. I don't think it's appropriate to joke with kids in the same way  you would with adults, they don't always know how to take it and it makes you look mean when they don't.  

Meadow was also using the oven at her station.  She, unlike Paige, struck the Great British Baking Show pose,  squatting in front of her oven, nose right up to the glass, without getting burned and lightly tapping on the glass, while praying it baked through.

I do like Meadow.

• Like 7

Madison showed a pattern on this show: if she didn't like the ingredient she got, she wasn't into it, and when she wasn't into it, she didn't try. She did the same thing last week (pepper grinder anyone?) She didn't even think of it.

I think she showed she was possibly more familiar with monkey bread than the rest since she went straight to all the cinnamon, which for sure she shouldn't have, given the tropical angle of the challenge. But unlike the others who did a straight swap of tropical-thing-in-the-sugar, it seemed like Madison had decided if it wasn't cinnamon it wasn't monkey bread? Maybe? She also put maybe a teaspoon of mango in that. So she should've known there was nowhere near enough mango. Her personal desire not to taste it made her overlook the fact that the judges clearly need to taste it for it to count.

She was also bonkers on the unsweetened chocolate. This kid must have no sweet tooth? If mango is inherently too sweet for her and she decided rice krispie treats are also too sweet so unsweetened chocolate would balance them out? Oh honey, find some 80% dark chocolate and call it a day.

I DID appreciate that she was all "I ain't usin' no prefab candy rocks" and it did bug me a little that because she put in more effort to make her own "rocks" she also got dinged worse because they actually tasted her rocks, but didn't taste almost any of the extra decorations from the others, save the green grass coating chocolate. So it seemed a little like a cop-out that the other kids' decorations got to look good and taste didn't matter, but they tasted hers. On the flipside of that though, I guess it's like when chefs do a duo on Top Chef and one dish is great and the other sucks, and the judges are like "you only had to do one". She missed on taste with both here, but if her monkey bread had been more mango-ey I think she's still probably lose on that unsweetened chocolate.

• Like 8

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't sorry to see Madison go.  I just loved her at first but it seemed like she was getting much too pleased with the attention and the idea of being on camera.  Her baking wasn't great and she kind of wore out her welcome.

I wish the producers would stop with the gimmicks and also with telling the kids very specifically what to make right down to the flavors they must use.  I wish they'd just tell them to "Make a birthday cake" or something like that and then let them be creative.

I thought Valerie was harder than necessary on Davis wrt his monkey.  From what I could see, the only part that wasn't good was the face.  The body and tail looked just like a stylized monkey.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, hookedontv said:

I’ll be happy as long as Nyah doesn’t win. I can’t put into words why not, I just haven’t enjoyed her on the show. 

Sorry Nyah, it’s not you - it’s me. 

Lol. 

I think I know what it is, at least for me. That *maybe* she's usually always the youngest, most precocious and she kind of over does the "I'm adorable-ness." Now that I'm starting to explain it I'm sure it doesn't make sense...but like she's used to always being the cutest and she is cute, but - you're right I can't put into coherent words.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, docmatt said:

I have not liked her for a while. And her baking is not on par with the top few.  It was pretty obvious she was done the whole episode, her editing went from sassy to outright brat this week. 

I agree 100%! I for one was really happy she left, now if Nyah goes next week I will be ecstatic! I really hope Paige wins!!!!!

15 hours ago, hookedontv said:

Sorry Nyah, it’s not you - it’s me. 

No, it is Nyah, not me! I am not a fan at all of Nyah, and haven't been all season! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, LegalParrot81 said:

I have thought Valerie was a bad choice from her first season. When did Valerie become a pastry chef and not just a home cook? I hate how she is trying to talk over Duff as if she is more experienced than he is, and her interactions with the kids are not funny or helpful! I have seen Duff many times when seeing one of the kids in distress actually give them help - not grabbing their arms and wiggling them and laughing! She, in my opinion, is a lousy job and very self absorbed!

41 minutes ago, jlc said:

I have thought Valerie was a bad choice from her first season. 

I have thoughts on this, too. Duff is the camp counselor of KBC and Valerie is the former child star clinging to some sort of relevancy on a highly-specific basic cable channel.  (I'm having a very grumpy day today...)

• Like 1

I think Nyah is an adorable girl, but she talks way too fast.  I have a hard time keeping up with what she's saying most of the time.  

I liked that Davis asked to see his sauce when they critiqued it, he didn't just say 'ok' like I guess they've been coached to do when criticized for something. He said the banana stuff looked strange when he used it, I thought why not just mash up some fresh banana? Maybe the stuff he used was more concentrated or something?  

• Like 6

When he was kvetching about it, it looked to me just like mushed up banana (or probably it'd been in a blender). So I don't think it would've made a difference if he used the pre-pureed vs smashed it himself. Plus the judges were saying his stuff was already sufficiently banana-ey and he should've just done a caramel-caramel sauce or something else that was a different flavor. It wasn't just the texture they took issue with.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2019 at 9:48 PM, mlp said:

I thought Valerie was harder than necessary on Davis wrt his monkey.  From what I could see, the only part that wasn't good was the face.  The body and tail looked just like a stylized monkey.  

I was confused about that. Was she being sarcastic? His monkey was amazing though a bit over the top given the challenge.

I felt bad for Madison as she mostly got "chopped" because of using the cinnamon which is the normal flavor of monkey bread. Though, I suppose she didn't do the challenge right. I think it should have been the one with the under cooked one. Paige, I think?

Edited by blueray
  • Like 1

I don't know why Madison didn't chop up a mango and put it in her monkey bread. I know she doesn't like the flavor, and that's fine, but she also knew the judges NEEDED to taste the mango. She didn't have to eat the monkey bread, just bake it. But using unsweetened chocolate was unforgivable. Sorry.  I learned early in life that ALL unsweet chocolate needs some help (when I swiped a piece from my mom, she let me eat it, I was IMMEDIATELY sorry I ever did that.  ðŸ˜†

Paige has got to leave her oven alone.  It's starting to grate on my nerves.  I have no idea how many times she actually checked her bread but the AMOUNT of time she left the oven open killed me. She just let all the heat out of the oven!  Has no one ever explained this to her at home?  If you want to really check something, take it out, close the oven door and you can take a bit more time without letting all the heat escape.

I loved Davis's monkey.  Valerie has issues.  I would bet dollars to donuts that she couldn't create a better monkey with pencil and paper, not to mention Davis's was in chocolate.

Edited by Destiny74
  • Like 2

Confirmed - 1 stick of butter.  My recipe also calls for 3 cans of biscuits - 10 in each can.  My recipe is also ancient so the cans of biscuits these day may be bigger than they used to be so you may be able to use fewer cans.  You just need enough quartered pieces to almost fill a bundt pan.

Great, thank you!

Madison was cute and funny at first , but she bordered in a bit obnoxious and annoying after a while .

It seemed like she just didn’t care to try because she didn’t like Mango . 

I didnt think that Valerie was rude to Madison, especially since Madison was very snarky and sarcastic herself . She  must get a lot of laughs for her sarcasm, but she can get annoying. 

I think the criticism of Davis’s monkey was a bit much . His work still looked good .

I like Valerie and Duff . I think they are Both nice and perfect for a show with kids .

• Like 5