saoirse

Kids Baking Championship

What Jaxson did and Karthik did were totally different to me. Jaxson was being totally self-absorbed. He wasn't mansplaining; he just wanted what he wanted and was OK steamrolling to get it, and Madison, as she noted, didn't want to argue about it so she let him have it rather than sit through his hissy fit. Which is what he did. With his "I HAVE to make a vanilla cake!" He was having a very Veruca Salt moment.

Karthik on the other hand Thought He Had Great Ideas For the Team. Maple was his doing and it overwhelmed both their cakes. Meadow may have been the one to put it in? Which might be why she seemed to get the bigger ding for it since it totally obliterated any chance of tasting the apple. But he was all MAPLE ON THE WHOLE OUTSIDE. And he was mos' def' mainsplaining and then mainsplained mansplaining.

The big/small team in a way had both the easiest and hardest. They could do ANYTHING to represent those opposites and seemed to get totally stuck because it wasn't as obvious as something like night and day. Davis' decorations were "big" in the context of how large cake decorations generally are, but they weren't big in general. That was a life-sized coffee cup and chocolate bar. Normal size for the actual things. And Jenna's "small" decorations were not remotely small enough for it to read as small by comparison. Plus she was chocolate dipping actual raspberries....so...that's also life-size of the object it was. If they wanted to do decorations that communicated the flavors of each side they needed to really go drastic on the size differential. She needed to be doing tiny, like currant-sized lemons and raspberries. And he needed a giant cocoa and espresso bean or something. Like, one of each taking up that whole side of the cake. Otherwise, they needed to not be so focused on the decorations having anything to do with the flavors. They didn't even satisfy the opposites challenge as far as I'm concerned. Not at all. Even if her royal icing whatever it was she was aiming for worked, or were good or they did the original drip cake idea....they didn't fulfill the challenge. Heck, they could've done something similar to the fire and ice cake and done HUGE rosettes on one side and piped tiny star tips all over the other side. Done. (They might not have had time to do something that involved, but my point is they could've done anything to represent big and small and they didn't do it at all).

• Like 4

11 hours ago, luvapickle said:

I finally figured it out: Davis is a mini/young Matthew Grunwald(FNS)-but sweet:).

We think he's auditioning for Randy Rainbow's job (check his youtube channel if you've never seen him before -- hilarious).

Agree with everyone that it was Jenna's time to go. Her decorations were horrible, and adding the white chocolate to her royal icing made it disgusting-looking. And, yeah, the Big-Little dichotomy was not illustrated at all.

I used to really like Jaxon. Not so much now.

I haven't been a big Paige fan, but she and Nyah were great together. How cute that they were saying the same thing at the same time.

• Like 3

my point is they could've done anything to represent big and small and they didn't do it at all

Agreed.  What they should have done was make big and small versions of the same thing so the size difference was obvious.  A tiny coffee cup might have been beyond Jenna's capabilities but they could have done big ducks, little ducks or big fruit, little fruit - anything as you said.  Jenna's cake may have still been a mess but at least the decorations would have made sense.

• Like 2

Jaxson was very pushy to get/do what he wanted this episode and he got a little karmic payback by having Madison win instead of him.  Even though he didn't come off as a great kid in this episode, he's still the boy who chose a pink apron to honor his grandma so she would know he was thinking of her every time she watched.  He can't be all bad.

• Like 10

I've only watched this show sporadically in the past, but do the judges state whether taste wins out over presentation? I would think fulfilling the challenge and taste would in out over something that tastes awful? Also, if the decorations weigh heavily in the judging, maybe they could have a "decorating challenge?"

Personally, I don't think Jenna's and Davis' decorations needed to make sense to an adult--a coffee cup is bigger than a raspberry, so to a kid that would've made sense. Not saying that Jenna didn't need to be the one eliminated--her skills seemed the most lacking. 

What matters most to me as a consumer of baked goods is taste--I've had some awful-tasting, but expensive and perfect-looking decorated cupcakes and I've peeled off beautiful but disgusting-tasting fondant from special occasion cakes.

On a very nit-picky note: I don't know why, but it irritates me when the contestants constantly use the word "my" as in, "my butter, my eggs, my flour" --why not just say "butter, eggs and flour?"

• Like 1

As a native Minnesotan, I’m very proud of my girls, Paige and Meadow.  They are both adorable, talented and Minnesota Nice.

But - Madison for the win!!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Adiba said:

I've only watched this show sporadically in the past, but do the judges state whether taste wins out over presentation? I would think fulfilling the challenge and taste would in out over something that tastes awful? Also, if the decorations weigh heavily in the judging, maybe they could have a "decorating challenge?"

Personally, I don't think Jenna's and Davis' decorations needed to make sense to an adult--a coffee cup is bigger than a raspberry, so to a kid that would've made sense. Not saying that Jenna didn't need to be the one eliminated--her skills seemed the most lacking. 

What matters most to me as a consumer of baked goods is taste--I've had some awful-tasting, but expensive and perfect-looking decorated cupcakes and I've peeled off beautiful but disgusting-tasting fondant from special occasion cakes.

I think over past seasons Duff and Valerie do tend to reward taste and fulfilling the challenge over presentation. The only exception I can remember was in the Season 2 finale where Yashimabet appeared to definitely win the flavor/moistness thing but Rebecca won with a more ambitious presentation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Adiba said:

On a very nit-picky note: I don't know why, but it irritates me when the contestants constantly use the word "my" as in, "my butter, my eggs, my flour" --why not just say "butter, eggs and flour?"

That bugs me too, especially since it's so obvious that they're coached to say it like that, and in the present tense, even though they're obviously describing something that already happened. "I mix my eggs into my flour mixture, then I add my vanilla..." The contestants on the adult FN baking shows have to talk like that too. I don't know who decided to make them all do that. 

• Like 3

I agree with all of you that Jaxon was unlikeable in the last episode, but it seems that a lot of you are forgetting about the episodes before where Jaxon wasn't as bad.

Also, I'm glad Jenna finally went home.  She was likable, but her skills weren't on par with the others.  I'm still baffled on how the judges sent Misha home over her the week before.

Literally, next episode, it could be anyone that goes given the past episodes.  I would of predicted Nyah if it wasn't for her doing really well this past week.  I find it a bit stunning that some of you want Jaxon eliminated next just because of his behavior in the last episode.  What if he goes back to being likable just like he was prior to this past episode?

Edited by jcn35
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, snarkylady said:

Does anyone else see a similarity between Young Sheldon and Davis?  

They do seem to have some similarities!

16 hours ago, jcn35 said:

I agree with all of you that Jaxon was unlikeable in the last episode, but it seems that a lot of you are forgetting about the episodes before where Jaxon wasn't as bad.

I'm trying not to be harsh about him since he is so young, but I do hope that someone along the way will politely point out to him that it's rude to put your hand up to someone's face and shush them!  Maybe he'll get it after seeing Madison's THs on the matter!  I just love her.  

• Like 5

Kids learn from their parents, that's all I'm going to say about Jaxson.  I do have a feeling that the producers were encouraging bickering between the teammates, especially the boy/girl teams.  

I would have thrown something at the TV if Jenna had survived this round.   She should have been out episodes ago.   At first, I thought that with her being partnered with Davis, she would have had a chance to remain, but that frosting really sealed the deal.

Another thing that irked me was how several of the teams were trying to decorate their respective sides at the same time!   Then one of them made a comment like "It's really hard frosting a cake at the same time".   I'm like, well don't then.  

I think Nyah will go next (and should go), she's been pretty sloppy with the decorating overall and she's a bit too sassy for my taste. 

I think I remember Jenna saying in a TH that she was the youngest of the group?  She seemed pretty scattered, but that's seeing her against kids like Davis who are more mature and just have a calmer personality.  I love how he always looks stunned to be safe and not on the chopping block.  I really wish Misha had gone further, he seemed like an interesting person.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

I do have a feeling that the producers were encouraging bickering between the teammates, especially the boy/girl teams. 

I assumed just about all the talking heads were at least partially scripted. I mean, we all know by now that "reality" TV, well, isn't. I don't believe for a second that Karthik and Meadow made the "mansplaining" comments all on their own, and likewise, I don't believe that Nyah and Paige said the same thing at the same time perfectly in one take. But meh, that's how we get our entertaining TV. So yeah, while Jaxson didn't come off particularly well this episode, I'm not sure how much was really his actual personality and how much was encouraged from the sidelines for maximum drama/conflict.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, augmentedfourth said:

I assumed just about all the talking heads were at least partially scripted. I mean, we all know by now that "reality" TV, well, isn't. I don't believe for a second that Karthik and Meadow made the "mansplaining" comments all on their own, and likewise, I don't believe that Nyah and Paige said the same thing at the same time perfectly in one take. 

The TH responses are not usually scripted, but it's also true they probably didn't make those comments on their own. The general practice on these types of shows is that a PA with a clipboard and a list of questions asks the contestants, and all TH's are responses to that. So we're seeing one half of a conversation.

PA asks Meadow "Did you feel like Karthik was mansplaining during the challenge?"

What we see is the response to that.

Rinse repeat. Paige and Nyah saying the same thing also probably says more about the wording of what they were asked than anything else.

Nature or nurture? Karthik double mansplained when he ‘well actuallied’ the definition of mansplain. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I didn’t realize boys did that before puberty.

• Like 4

On 2/10/2019 at 8:16 AM, BigBingerBro said:

I do have a feeling that the producers were encouraging bickering between the teammates, especially the boy/girl teams.  

I feel like the produced theme of this episode was "boys are mean to girls" and things were edited and positioned to emphasize that.  Madison plays into that really well because she seems to play the victim really well.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, docmatt said:

Madison plays into that really well because she seems to play the victim really well.

ITA.  Every time I watch this show or any other competition show with kids, I think that I must be looking at a mini version of one of their parents.  I'll bet that Maddy is a miniature of her mother or father.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your story, veronicamers.  That's cool!

10 hours ago, docmatt said:

Madison plays into that really well because she seems to play the victim really well.

Aw, I love Madison!  I don't see her as playing the victim, but just being snarky about what's going on around her.  She didn't have a good day making that tart and owned up to not putting the cornstarch in to begin with.  And in the prior episode, Jaxon was condescending to her, so I enjoyed her comments about him!   And ouch to Paige with that burn.  I hope they had aloe to put on that.  I keep a little bottle of aloe vera gel in my kitchen, and for any little burns, it takes the hurt right out.  Of course her burns were more serious and needed a medic.  Hopefully she got some topical anesthetic.  It was nice of the other kids to step in and help her.  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Aw, I love Madison!  I don't see her as playing the victim, but just being snarky about what's going on around her.  She didn't have a good day making that tart and owned up to not putting the cornstarch in to begin with.  And in the prior episode, Jaxon was condescending to her, so I enjoyed her comments about him!   And ouch to Paige with that burn.  I hope they had aloe to put on that.  I keep a little bottle of aloe vera gel in my kitchen, and for any little burns, it takes the hurt right out.  Of course her burns were more serious and needed a medic.  Hopefully she got some topical anesthetic.  It was nice of the other kids to step in and help her.  

That's what I like on this show, the kids often step in to help. I wish on the adult versions of the show you would see the same thing. 

• Like 3

No almonds for Paige this time! Had to laugh about the bleu cheese. That was my mum's favorite. Until the day she decided to microwave it with Limburger cheese.  My dad came in the house & yelled "J.H.C what the he** is that smell?" My mum smiled & said "nothing." Our house smelled all day.

• Like 1

Paige has not been my favorite but I have to give her and her mother a lot of credit for the way they handled that whole burn situation.  I could see the concern in mom's eyes but she remained calm and let Paige decide whether or not she wanted to continue.  Burns, even small ones, are painful but Paige did not have hysterics and decided to soldier on.  I also give credit to the other kids who knew she had lost time and pitched in to help her finish.

Karthik was the right choice for elimination but I liked him and was sorry to see him go.

Davis really deserved his win.  The goat he piped free-hand was impressive.  That kid has some real artistic talent.  I like all the kids who are left but I won't be at all unhappy if Davis wins the whole thing.

• Like 17

mlp I totally agree. Paige really held it together well and did herself proud. Also loved how the other kids came to help her with time running out. 

This is the second week in a row where I really enjoyed the challenge and the creativity the kids used in their creations. And I think this week in particular showed how critical the time-management piece of this competition really is. 

Davis definitely deserved the win this week and Karthik was the right one to go. Of the remaining bakers, I see Davis and Jaxon as the frontrunners at this point and Nyah as the dark horse who could surprise everyone.

• Like 3

Just started watching this episode and I have to shamefully admit...

My inner 10 year old did not hear anise when Meadow was talking fast during her dish explaining.

Tee hee hee...I am a child.🤪

Edited by Destiny74 · Reason: Wrong child name.
  • Laugh 4

18 hours ago, docmatt said:

I feel like the produced theme of this episode was "boys are mean to girls" and things were edited and positioned to emphasize that.  Madison plays into that really well because she seems to play the victim really well.

I don’t think so .  Jaxson looked pissed and didn’t even congratulate Madison when she won the competition . I think sadly , little boys still are getting messages at times from their parents , and also other prominent males in our speciality that they cans treat females like crap and it’s ok .

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I agree , Madison held it together , and so did Meadow wit the obnoxious boys they were stuck working with ! I almost wish they would have argued back and put them in their places , but Madison ended up winning, and Jaxon was not even polite and seemed pissed ! Kartnik was also bossy and obnoxious, so glad he is gone . I am hoping Jaxon goes next .

Davis is the only boy that I wouldn’t mind seeing win at this point . It’s only too bad they sent Misha home and kept Jenna who messed up repeatedly!

Edited by orangekit

4 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

My inner 10 year old did not hear anise when Meadow was talking fast during her dish explaining.

Heh!  I was sitting there thinking how many ways in which she described her anise could've gone wrong!  It's a joke waiting to happen.  

• Like 1

I think some of these challenges would be difficult for adult bakers, much less kids.  I mean bleu cheese, come on.  Davis was clearly comfortable with goat cheese, but he's mature enough to stop and think about the cheese, cheese plates, the fruit that pairs well with it.  Anise, Yuzu, pink peppercorn?  Yikes.  Jaxon still bugged me, and I felt bad for Paige.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Claire85 said:

“Science, Jaxon. Science.” 🤣

I need this in gif form.

12 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

I think some of these challenges would be difficult for adult bakers, much less kids.  I mean bleu cheese, come on.  Davis was clearly comfortable with goat cheese, but he's mature enough to stop and think about the cheese, cheese plates, the fruit that pairs well with it.  Anise, Yuzu, pink peppercorn?  Yikes.  Jaxon still bugged me, and I felt bad for Paige.

Agreed. Davis is very talented, but he also really lucked out getting goat cheese; that was probably the easiest of the ingredients. He also just annoys me, even though I know he's quite good. Maybe if he stopped with the over-the-top surprise whenever he's complimented.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, springbarb said:

Agreed. Davis is very talented, but he also really lucked out getting goat cheese; that was probably the easiest of the ingredients. He also just annoys me, even though I know he's quite good. Maybe if he stopped with the over-the-top surprise whenever he's complimented.

Yeah, I have warmed to him considerably but his eyebrows bug the crap out of me. I picture him practicing that face in front of a mirror. He is talented, though.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mlp said:

Paige has not been my favorite but I have to give her and her mother a lot of credit for the way they handled that whole burn situation.  I could see the concern in mom's eyes but she remained calm and let Paige decide whether or not she wanted to continue.  Burns, even small ones, are painful but Paige did not have hysterics and decided to soldier on.  I also give credit to the other kids who knew she had lost time and pitched in to help her finish.

Karthik was the right choice for elimination but I liked him and was sorry to see him go.

Davis really deserved his win.  The goat he piped free-hand was impressive.  That kid has some real artistic talent.  I like all the kids who are left but I won't be at all unhappy if Davis wins the whole thing.

Totally agree re: Paige and her mother. I was glad to hear a parent say "Do you want a break?" instead of "Are you ready to get back out there and WIN????"

And yeah, that tart from Davis was really impressive.

• Like 8

On 2/12/2019 at 9:56 AM, mlp said:

Well, you just said everything I came here to say, so I guess I'll just say "Ditto."

Davis's tart looked awesome.

• Like 3

Can I just insert here how much I love Duff and his new bride's tweets?  They are adorable.  Also really looking forward to his show vs Buddy.  Go Duff!

Edited by trudysmom · Reason: punctuation matters. :)
  • Like 1

I agree that Davis is amazing, but must admit that during his talking heads the phrase, "Its Howdy Doody time." keeps popping into my mind. I also wish the kids would stop trying so hard, including Davis when he clearly knows he's going to win.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

I find some of the kids obnoxious as all get out, and as much as I hate to admit this out loud so people can hear and judge me, I hope Davis doesn't win because I can't wait to see the expression on his face when someone else wins! I am a terrible adult! Forgive me!!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 8

Davis will win unless he screws something up big-time.  I could tell by the editing in the first 15 minutes that Karthik was going home.

Poor Paige, something was obviously distracting her off-camera which caused her to spill that butter.  I often wonder how many cuts and burns we don't see.  

Madison made some pretty bad decisions, but at least she served something.  She's like night or day.

I'm just not a Duff fan.  His humor (or attempt at) grates on me.  Every week he just has to do the "Wow this tart is......  (10 second dramatic pause)  AWESOME!"  Yeah it was funny the first time.  Get new material.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I could tell by the editing in the first 15 minutes that Karthik was going home.

Yeah, you could tell by his talking heads. I liked Karthik -- I hope he gets his dog🐶

• Like 2