Jump to content
Whimsy

S37:E14 David vs Goliath Reunion

Recommended Posts

On 12/19/2018 at 8:51 PM, LadyChatts said:

He left Ponderosa early, because I guess he just didn't want to be away from his family that long when he wasn't in the game anymore.  Not sure if there was more to it than that, because pre-jurors have left Ponderosa before and didn't get banned (except Vytas).

I hope there was more to it than that. As I recall, Jeremy said his father has Alzheimer's, so he probably wanted to get back to be with him. If that was his reason for leaving Ponderosa, he shouldn't be penalized for it.

 

On 12/21/2018 at 6:04 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

As for "assertive women being called bossy", bossy men are also resented and often targeted.

Yes. Most recent example: Carl.

 

On 12/21/2018 at 6:56 AM, mojoween said:

Nick saying out loud in front of everyone he picked Angelina to go to the end with him because he knew he could beat her was priceless and I love him for it.

My favorite part of that was Angelina's confessional afterward about how everyone made their pitch to Nick, but she was the one with her mad negotiating skills who "closed the deal." As if the instant Nick won immunity, the entire viewing audience didn't go, "okay, so it's Mike and Kara making fire then."

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I hope there was more to it than that. As I recall, Jeremy said his father has Alzheimer's, so he probably wanted to get back to be with him. If that was his reason for leaving Ponderosa, he shouldn't be penalized for it.

Don’t think I share that opinion.  If Jeremy’s father was so bad off Jeremy’s presence was required for Dad’s care, then Jeremy should never have signed up for the show and left Dad in the first place.  Contrariwise - if Dad wasn’t that bad off or if Jeremy had arranged suitable care for Dad for what Jeremy hoped/expected to be the entire season’s run, then there were no circumstances so emergent as to justify Jeremy’s violation of his player contract by jumping ship upon his game eviction.

 

Quote

My favorite part of that was Angelina's confessional afterward about how everyone made their pitch to Nick, but she was the one with her mad negotiating skills who "closed the deal." As if the instant Nick won immunity, the entire viewing audience didn't go, "okay, so it's Mike and Kara making fire then."

No argument there. Angelina simply is not blessed with any degree of objective vision; such folk generally believe everything good happens because they made it happen, and everything bad is somebody else’s fault.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I hope there was more to it than that.

First of all, do we know Jeremy was banned from the Reunion like Alec?  Or is it more a matter of him being so over it with TPTB that he just didn't want to go to the reunion and decided to spend his time at the alternative event with the one person actually banned.

Second, if he was banned, I don't think it was necessarily Jeremy leaving Ponderosa early that got him penalized.  It was probably more his post-game interviews where he was spreading malicious rumors about Angelina, a finalist.  Him leaving Ponderosa early would instead be a convenient cover story with a precedent in Vytas for TPTB to use for a ban.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I hope there was more to it than that. As I recall, Jeremy said his father has Alzheimer's, so he probably wanted to get back to be with him. If that was his reason for leaving Ponderosa, he shouldn't be penalized for it.

There was a spoiler that said two men (one of whom was Alec) were uninvited to the reunion, and it did say that the other male (who we now know is Jeremy) left because he didn't want to be away from his family that long when he wasn't even in the game anymore.  I do have to think there's more to it, because TPTB would be pretty big hypocrites for banning him solely for leaving Ponderosa, when other pre-jurors did the same.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

It is funny that when they showed the pre jurors at the Finale I didn’t realize Jeremy wasn’t there. I have always forgotten the pre juror people. It’s only a three month show but if you don’t make jury I completely forget about them. I guess that’s why a lot of pre jurors are forgotten about and not asked back for future seasons. That said, I don’t know what the actual breakdown is. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

But haven't other cast members broken their NDA's by posting to social media when they weren't supposed to?  Its not like Alec posted a big spoiler.  And yet he was made an example of. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, marys1000 said:

But haven't other cast members broken their NDA's by posting to social media when they weren't supposed to?  Its not like Alec posted a big spoiler.  And yet he was made an example of. 

I think the people speculating that it was the "Fuck it" that did it are right. He seemingly blatantly disrespected TPTB with that and that is never gonna go over well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Nashville said:

Don’t think I share that opinion.  If Jeremy’s father was so bad off Jeremy’s presence was required for Dad’s care, then Jeremy should never have signed up for the show and left Dad in the first place.  Contrariwise - if Dad wasn’t that bad off or if Jeremy had arranged suitable care for Dad for what Jeremy hoped/expected to be the entire season’s run, then there were no circumstances so emergent as to justify Jeremy’s violation of his player contract by jumping ship upon his game eviction.

This comes up every time a player has a sick relative, and I think there are points to be made on both sides of the argument, but for me, if someone is a caretaker (and we don't know that Jeremy actually cares for his dad), then it's up to him to decide when it's appropriate or not appropriate to put his own life on hold. Jeremy may have decided that going away with the possibility of winning a million dollars was worth leaving his dad, who probably has a lot of medical expenses, for two months, whereas leaving him for that long just to lounge around Ponderosa or travel with Natalie was not worth the time away. I don't know what their particular circumstances are, so it's not for me to say what he should or shouldn't have done.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

There was a spoiler that said two men (one of whom was Alec) were uninvited to the reunion, and it did say that the other male (who we now know is Jeremy) left because he didn't want to be away from his family that long when he wasn't even in the game anymore.  I do have to think there's more to it, because TPTB would be pretty big hypocrites for banning him solely for leaving Ponderosa, when other pre-jurors did the same.

 

2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

This comes up every time a player has a sick relative, and I think there are points to be made on both sides of the argument, but for me, if someone is a caretaker (and we don't know that Jeremy actually cares for his dad), then it's up to him to decide when it's appropriate or not appropriate to put his own life on hold. Jeremy may have decided that going away with the possibility of winning a million dollars was worth leaving his dad, who probably has a lot of medical expenses, for two months, whereas leaving him for that long just to lounge around Ponderosa or travel with Natalie was not worth the time away. I don't know what their particular circumstances are, so it's not for me to say what he should or shouldn't have done.

I think the Production team changed the rule after Vytas left Ponderosa the last time he played, kind of like thy changed the rule regarding quitters on the Jury after Naonka and Purple Kelly. I think Jeremy is the first person to leave Ponderosa before the game end since Vytas. I don’t think we have any quitters in the jury phase of the game so we have not seen how TPTB will handle that.

Regarding Alec, I think that picture was far more a spoiler then people give it credit for. The show started with Dan and Kara together. the picture of Alec and Kara suggested a friendship, possibly more, that we had not seen developing on the show. At the very least, the picture suggested that something developed between Kara and Alec that did not involve Dan, hinting that Kara might be screwed over by Dan or screw Dan over. Had Alec and Kara posted more about their relationship, it could have further spoiled Dan’s ouster, which most people would not have seen coming because Dan seemed to be in a solid alliance and had an immunity idol. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

 

I think the Production team changed the rule after Vytas left Ponderosa the last time he played, kind of like thy changed the rule regarding quitters on the Jury after Naonka and Purple Kelly. I think Jeremy is the first person to leave Ponderosa before the game end since Vytas. I don’t think we have any quitters in the jury phase of the game so we have not seen how TPTB will handle that.

Regarding Alec, I think that picture was far more a spoiler then people give it credit for. The show started with Dan and Kara together. the picture of Alec and Kara suggested a friendship, possibly more, that we had not seen developing on the show. At the very least, the picture suggested that something developed between Kara and Alec that did not involve Dan, hinting that Kara might be screwed over by Dan or screw Dan over. Had Alec and Kara posted more about their relationship, it could have further spoiled Dan’s ouster, which most people would not have seen coming because Dan seemed to be in a solid alliance and had an immunity idol. 

But Kara and Alec started out on the same tribe this season, so it’s not inconceivable that a friendship would form based on that.

 

However, Sebastian and Jenna created their own Instagram account in the middle of Ghost Island, and nobody said a word about that .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, fishcakes said:

This comes up every time a player has a sick relative, and I think there are points to be made on both sides of the argument, but for me, if someone is a caretaker (and we don't know that Jeremy actually cares for his dad), then it's up to him to decide when it's appropriate or not appropriate to put his own life on hold. Jeremy may have decided that going away with the possibility of winning a million dollars was worth leaving his dad, who probably has a lot of medical expenses, for two months, whereas leaving him for that long just to lounge around Ponderosa or travel with Natalie was not worth the time away. I don't know what their particular circumstances are, so it's not for me to say what he should or shouldn't have done.

I get that, really I do, but for me it’s a matter of personal integrity - of giving your word, and standing behind it - which is exactly the position every contestant puts themselves in when they sign the player contract.  Every last one of them knows going in they have something like a 6% chance of winning the $1M, but in return for that 1-in-18 shot they sign the contract with Production.  Which means they agree to Production’s rules - ALL of them - including the ones which specify what is required of them in the very likely event they DON’T win.  It’s the price you pay if you want to play.

So - to me the “I can't win now so screw you and your rules” mentality is the behavior of a spoiled child, so I don’t have any real problem with Production taking someone to task for violating their player contract.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

However, Sebastian and Jenna created their own Instagram account in the middle of Ghost Island, and nobody said a word about that .

Seriously though. Now that was a much bigger spoiler than the Kara/Alec photo. But again, as others have said, the problem with Alec was likely that he pretty much brazenly disrespected TPTB with the 'fuck it' caption.

Share this post


Link to post

It could also be that the Vytas and then Sebastian/Jenna mess caused TPTB to change the policy and Alec was the first to test the new policy.

Vytas left Ponderosa and then posted that he was teaching yoga when he should have been playing, spoiling his departure early in the game. Sebastian/Jenna's postings really didn't spoil much, neither one of them were particularly important players in their season, but I am sure that TPTB were not happy with those posts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

How or why would TPTB think that the f'it comment was directed at them vs.....whatever?  

1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

It could also be that the Vytas and then Sebastian/Jenna mess caused TPTB to change the policy and Alec was the first to test the new policy.

Vytas left Ponderosa and then posted that he was teaching yoga when he should have been playing, spoiling his departure early in the game. Sebastian/Jenna's postings really didn't spoil much, neither one of them were particularly important players in their season, but I am sure that TPTB were not happy with those posts.

The whole Jenna Sea Bass thing was one of the several reasons I totally went off the rail about that season.  It was a season where I was more involved than other seasons, players backgrounds, tracking them, instagram  etc.  Probably not as hard as some people but way harder than normal for me.  The more I learned the more I realized how so much was being edited out.  And edited out in such a way that it seemed deliberate.  I for one am convinced that Sea Bass saved Jenna from being voted out more than once because of their relationship.  They were on different alliances but acting as each others agents within those alliances, or so it seemed to me.  Pretty important strategically but it was never shown.  Along with other stuff.  I quit watching for awhile I think I was more angry than I've ever been at a tv show.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

We all know that the show is edited and a good amount of strategic play is removed. There is not enough time to show everything that is happening. That is why I didn't blow off the Alison as a threat comments, there were things happening in the game that we did not see. All those comments told me is that Alison wasn't making the finals, otherwise we would have seen why she was a threat. The same for Kara. There was no way she made the finals otherwise we would have seen more of her game. We did see Mike's game, we saw people going to talk to him on a regular basis and how he was the middle man in the game.

Jenna and Sea Bass were pretty bland players that probably did more then we saw but not enough to warrant attention. They were not threats out there. I suspect we would have seen less of Gabby's game this season except that she was tied so tightly to Christian. We barely saw Carl, only his advantage find and then the few episodes after the merge. Heck, how much of Davie's game did we see? We did not see his regular conversations with Christian or even Carl.

So the editing is not something I get stressed about. I only get annoyed in seasons like Coaches or Russell where the editors think one person is a great story point and that is all that we see, especially when the person ends up being an asshole. It is more when the winner is totally hidden and we are surprised that I get annoyed because I know that there is material to tell that persons story but the editors ignored it to show the big character.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Nashville said:

So - to me the “I can't win now so screw you and your rules” mentality is the behavior of a spoiled child, so I don’t have any real problem with Production taking someone to task for violating their player contract.

Or maybe they need to go back to work -- I mean, it's one thing to get time off work (assuming it's unpaid time) and then get a big payday if you get far in the game.  But if you're on the lower end of the Survivor pay scale, it might not make financial sense to hang around for, what, a month? not making any money.  At some point, maybe going home and getting back to work is more lucrative than the reunion appearance fee?  I dunno, I give people a pass.  There are legal consequences to their actions and they paid them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Special K said:

Or maybe they need to go back to work -- I mean, it's one thing to get time off work (assuming it's unpaid time) and then get a big payday if you get far in the game.  But if you're on the lower end of the Survivor pay scale, it might not make financial sense to hang around for, what, a month? not making any money.  At some point, maybe going home and getting back to work is more lucrative than the reunion appearance fee?  I dunno, I give people a pass.  There are legal consequences to their actions and they paid them.

They knew when they signed up for the show that they would be sequestered for a minimum of 46 days (they have travel, survival training and press before the game starts, plus the 39 days in game and travel time after the game.) If you agree to play, then you are agreeing to taking that much time off of work. If you cannot afford that time, then don't agree to play. 

If you are make $10,000, the appearance fee for the reunion show, in the 30 or so days that you work when you come home, then you probably are not on the lower end of the pay scale.

Honestly, I could care less about Jeremy being at the reunion. He had a spectacular exit and went out looking like a bit of an idiot. He wasn't a great player. He wasn't going to get any real time at the reunion. I don't think it makes a big difference. I don't remember anyone posting that Jeremy had spoiled his early departure by being on social media. But he signed a contract and he should stick to that contract. If he had left due to a sudden illness at home or something along those lines, that is understandable. Leaving Ponderosa early because you are upset that you  were voted out early is a bit like throwing a tantrum.

As you said, he paid the price, he lost the appearance fee. Heck, he didn't even get the "fame" of being disinvited from the reunion like Alec. He simply wasn't there and hardly anyone noticed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, marys1000 said:

How or why would TPTB think that the f'it comment was directed at them vs.....whatever?  

Probably because (a) the “fuck it” is indicative of rebellion against some form of restriction and (b) the only thing likely to be restricting Alec’s exercise of his own SM accounts are his player contract constraints.  That particular two-word comment indicated (to me, anyway) Alec had been told not to do something, repercussions were probably mentioned, and he decided to do it anyway.

 

56 minutes ago, Special K said:

Or maybe they need to go back to work -- I mean, it's one thing to get time off work (assuming it's unpaid time) and then get a big payday if you get far in the game.  But if you're on the lower end of the Survivor pay scale, it might not make financial sense to hang around for, what, a month? not making any money.  At some point, maybe going home and getting back to work is more lucrative than the reunion appearance fee?  I dunno, I give people a pass.  There are legal consequences to their actions and they paid them.

I think you’re forgetting the player stipend, which they continue to draw even if they’re doing nothing all day but debating the merits of various condiments with the Ponderosa chef.  And I could be wrong, but IIRC a contestant who breaks their player contract forfeits their stipend - all of it - so the notion of busting out of Ponderosa makes even less sense, financially speaking.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

http://arts.answers.com/Q/What_do_Survivor_contestants_get_paid

The data listed here is old, like 2010 contracts old, but it gives you an idea of how much money Jeremy potentially gave up. Jeremy would have earned $4,000 plus $10,000 for the reunion. There is a real possibility that he sacrificed $14,000, perhaps more, to leave Ponderosa and a free vacation, early. There are not too many jobs that pay that type of money for 46 or so days of work. Jeremy is a lawyer, so maybe he was in a position to do better then that.

I read the spoilers and I was not aware that Jeremy was not invited to the reunion so either I skimmed over that information, high probable, or it wasn't reported as widely as Alec's ban, highly improbable. Or people just didn't care. I do know that it was not mentioned in his exit interviews, although he did have a prepared statement about Angelina and John and a showmance. I am assuming that Jeremy was not invited to the Reunuion before the show started airing which is one of the reasons he went crazy with the Angelina and John thing. Jeremy knew he wouldn't be at the finale and wanted to burn Angelina and John for getting him voted out?

Something is off about the Jeremy situation and I have not seen anything that makes any real sense. But the reunion disinvite and the showmance official statement is all sorts of weird.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Probably because (a) the “fuck it” is indicative of rebellion against some form of restriction and (b) the only thing likely to be restricting Alec’s exercise of his own SM accounts are his player contract constraints.  That particular two-word comment indicated (to me, anyway) Alec had been told not to do something, repercussions were probably mentioned, and he decided to do it anyway.

 

I think you’re forgetting the player stipend, which they continue to draw even if they’re doing nothing all day but debating the merits of various condiments with the Ponderosa chef.  And I could be wrong, but IIRC a contestant who breaks their player contract forfeits their stipend - all of it - so the notion of busting out of Ponderosa makes even less sense, financially speaking.

Thanks, Nashville.  I was not remembering about the per diem (or never knew); I was just thinking about the "prize" money they got depending on their placement.

26 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

http://arts.answers.com/Q/What_do_Survivor_contestants_get_paid

The data listed here is old, like 2010 contracts old, but it gives you an idea of how much money Jeremy potentially gave up. Jeremy would have earned $4,000 plus $10,000 for the reunion. There is a real possibility that he sacrificed $14,000, perhaps more, to leave Ponderosa and a free vacation, early. There are not too many jobs that pay that type of money for 46 or so days of work. Jeremy is a lawyer, so maybe he was in a position to do better then that.

I read the spoilers and I was not aware that Jeremy was not invited to the reunion so either I skimmed over that information, high probable, or it wasn't reported as widely as Alec's ban, highly improbable. Or people just didn't care. I do know that it was not mentioned in his exit interviews, although he did have a prepared statement about Angelina and John and a showmance. I am assuming that Jeremy was not invited to the Reunuion before the show started airing which is one of the reasons he went crazy with the Angelina and John thing. Jeremy knew he wouldn't be at the finale and wanted to burn Angelina and John for getting him voted out?

Something is off about the Jeremy situation and I have not seen anything that makes any real sense. But the reunion disinvite and the showmance official statement is all sorts of weird.

Thanks for the info.  You're probably right, but wouldn't that be more like ~$9,000 after taxes?

Still, probably his reasons were not financial.  But for someone high-earning, it might be a loss of income or a loss of clients, etc.  But certainly they would have taken that into account when signing up in the first place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Probably because (a) the “fuck it” is indicative of rebellion against some form of restriction and (b) the only thing likely to be restricting Alec’s exercise of his own SM accounts are his player contract constraints.  That particular two-word comment indicated (to me, anyway) Alec had been told not to do something, repercussions were probably mentioned, and he decided to do it anyway.

Couldn't he have been saying fuck you to anyone?  His brother, his father, a friend, random strangers on his twitter.

Share this post


Link to post

He broke the rules, was warned, and didn't remove the post. Instead he said "fuck it." Whether we think the rule is ridiculous or not, it was there. It sounds like Alec had an opportunity to avoid being barred from the reunion and didn't take it.

More likely then not, the social media rules are evolving as the show progresses. TPTB are experimenting with what they can and cannot allow to prevent spoilers and speculation. Alec is a grown up who knew the rules and he flaunted them. So he lost out on the reunion, his prize money, and probably a future chance at the show. (shrugs) Alec seems to be handling it fine, his post game interviews were very apologetic. He knows that he screwed up and seems to be fixated on the "I didn't mean to insult Probst" thing, which is why people think it was the fuck it that caused the issue.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

http://arts.answers.com/Q/What_do_Survivor_contestants_get_paid

The data listed here is old, like 2010 contracts old, but it gives you an idea of how much money Jeremy potentially gave up. Jeremy would have earned $4,000 plus $10,000 for the reunion. There is a real possibility that he sacrificed $14,000, perhaps more, to leave Ponderosa and a free vacation, early. There are not too many jobs that pay that type of money for 46 or so days of work. Jeremy is a lawyer, so maybe he was in a position to do better then that.

I read the spoilers and I was not aware that Jeremy was not invited to the reunion so either I skimmed over that information, high probable, or it wasn't reported as widely as Alec's ban, highly improbable. Or people just didn't care. I do know that it was not mentioned in his exit interviews, although he did have a prepared statement about Angelina and John and a showmance. I am assuming that Jeremy was not invited to the Reunuion before the show started airing which is one of the reasons he went crazy with the Angelina and John thing. Jeremy knew he wouldn't be at the finale and wanted to burn Angelina and John for getting him voted out?

Something is off about the Jeremy situation and I have not seen anything that makes any real sense. But the reunion disinvite and the showmance official statement is all sorts of weird.

I often wonder if the pay has increased (in this case....from 2010) or not. I've been watching since Day 1. It was usually the million, 2nd got a $100,000 & 3 was about $80,000 or so. After that, it was kind of murky. Either way, the contestants do sign that contract and they aren't being forced to do so. They should follow the rules and if not you don't get anything. I know that Vytas Baskauskas didn't make jury and left Ponderosa knowing he was forgoing his prize money and not appearing at the reunion. He made a stink afterwards knowing full well that he was told if he left what would happen.

Share this post


Link to post

Vytas was the first person that they actually hit with the penalty for leaving Ponderosa early. I think it was more that Vytas went home and his yoga class schedule was posted on social media so everyone knew that Vytas was the first one out based on the timing of his classes. After that, the rule was going to be more strictly enforced.

I don't think the pay scale has changed at all. One of the reason that you end up with a decent number of younger 20's on Survivor and Big Brother is because many of them do not have high paying jobs. The amount of money that they make in the short amount of time is actually a decent amount for them and they are not holding onto jobs that they cannot afford to lose. This is really true for Big Brother and one of the reasons so many of the contestants are desperate to make it to the jury, the stipend is better because they are paid for their time in the jury house.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Special K said:

Thanks, Nashville.  I was not remembering about the per diem (or never knew); I was just thinking about the "prize" money they got depending on their placement.

Thanks for the info.  You're probably right, but wouldn't that be more like ~$9,000 after taxes?

Maybe a chunk more than that, if it’s taxed at all.  There’s wild variance in the U. S. tax code - no surprise there - but the fact the money was earned outside the U. S. affects its taxability.  I’m not that “up” on the IRS regs, but IIRC something like the first $102K or so of money earned overseas by an American citizen (even if they’re working for an American company) is excluded from taxation (the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion) - which means for contestants outside the F4, it’s very possible the entirety of their Survivor earnings might be tax-exempt.

 

(Disclaimer: I am not a tax specialist - just speaking of what I remember hearing about from some family members who spent several years working abroad.)

 

Quote

Still, probably his reasons were not financial.  But for someone high-earning, it might be a loss of income or a loss of clients, etc.  But certainly they would have taken that into account when signing up in the first place.

That’s at the heart of what I was trying to get at.

Edited by Nashville · Reason: Typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm in my 50's and only get two weeks vacation. It's a new job so it's baby steps. LOL!! Even, when I had loads of vacation I often wonder how companies let a employee just leave a month and a half while in the hospital or had a baby or.....................something. The usual bartender and college kid are able to do that but people with real jobs it's gotta be tough. I know that Bret LaBelle is a cop and I'm sure he had lots of time to take off but it's still a lot of time to take off. I guess that's why Survivor is called an adventure of a lifetime.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ByaNose said:

I'm in my 50's and only get two weeks vacation. It's a new job so it's baby steps. LOL!! Even, when I had loads of vacation I often wonder how companies let a employee just leave a month and a half while in the hospital or had a baby or.....................something. The usual bartender and college kid are able to do that but people with real jobs it's gotta be tough. I know that Bret LaBelle is a cop and I'm sure he had lots of time to take off but it's still a lot of time to take off. I guess that's why Survivor is called an adventure of a lifetime.

Especially when I think you can't tell people why you need the time off until after the show starts airing.  I imagine people do tell their bosses or HR and come up with some story for all your other colleagues/clients/students, etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Technically speaking, I have more than enough accumulated leave (earned and accrued) to cover such a trip - I’ve been with my agency for quite a while.

Realistically speaking, though, I probably wouldn’t even ask - for fear a certain question might be raised: “If we can do without him for over a month, why do we have him on the payroll at all...?”

Which is why Survivor isn’t an option until after I retire - and probably not even then because (a) I’m not all that photogenic, and (b) I’ll be too damn old.  

Pity, that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Technically speaking, I have more than enough accumulated leave (earned and accrued) to cover such a trip - I’ve been with my agency for quite a while.

Realistically speaking, though, I probably wouldn’t even ask - for fear a certain question might be raised: “If we can do without him for over a month, why do we have him on the payroll at all...?”

Which is why Survivor isn’t an option until after I retire - and probably not even then because (a) I’m not all that photogenic, and (b) I’ll be too damn old.  

Pity, that.

Wait! Did I write this post? LOL!!! I would need to add (c) I’m not athletic along with the a & b. Actually, I always say the reasons I couldn’t do Survivor let alone get cast is because I’m not good looking, smart or athletic. So, you might have one up on me. LOL!!!! I totally agree about your take on being gone long from a job. In today’s job market any company would see (doing Survivor or gone a period of time for anything) as a sign to dump your a**. LOL!!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/20/2018 at 11:14 AM, Lamima said:

There has been mention, many times, of a crazy/jerky island of returners who were all wacko or jerks. I'd throw Angelina in there. Natalie too. We have Phillip, Russell (his nephew Brandon...maybe a little too much), Shirin, Colton, Johnny Fairplay, NaOnka, Debbie (with all the job titles)....gosh there are sooooo many. Call it unlikable island. Would be something.

Who was that one chick from the season that had all the women at the end?  And she tricked that little boy into giving away his idol.  She was a monster. I can't remember her name at all but I clearly remember her saying she would use someone's jugular to floss her teeth and then at the reunion tried to say she was like an onion with many diferent layers before she was booed into silence. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, IDreamofJoaquin said:

Who was that one chick from the season that had all the women at the end?  And she tricked that little boy into giving away his idol.  She was a monster. I can't remember her name at all but I clearly remember her saying she would use someone's jugular to floss her teeth and then at the reunion tried to say she was like an onion with many diferent layers before she was booed into silence. 

Natalie Bolton. Survivor: Micronesia.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/20/2018 at 2:14 PM, Lamima said:

There has been mention, many times, of a crazy/jerky island of returners who were all wacko or jerks. I'd throw Angelina in there. Natalie too. We have Phillip, Russell (his nephew Brandon...maybe a little too much), Shirin, Colton, Johnny Fairplay, NaOnka, Debbie (with all the job titles)....gosh there are sooooo many. Call it unlikable island. Would be something.

This is such a great idea!  I'd add Ben and Shambo from Samoa and Lissi and Rocky from Fiji.  Lissi and Rocky from Fiji, and Shane from Borneo, Randy and maybe Corrine from Gabon,to name a few.  I guess we need to make room for Coach, too.

Call it Villains vs. Sociopaths.   Aholes vs. Douchebags?

I hated Randy, but I'd love to see him get into it with Shirin.  She'd think Will was a sweetheart after that.  

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Natalie Bolton. Survivor: Micronesia.

Okay.  When Lamima said Natalie I assumed it was the Natalie from this season. And maybe it was.  Both can be on!!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×