Galileo908

S30.E09: Daddicus Finch

Lisa and Homer's bond gets stronger when they start spending real quality time together; Bart feels neglected, so Marge tries to help Homer balance his time attention between the kids.

• Like 1

Billboard: Krusty's Christmas Special - Hey Hey Hey! In The Manger

Blackboard: My Pre-Christmas behavior helps out the coal Industry.

Chalkboard: Other intros (atoms, mermaids, Edward Gorey)

Nelson explains the origin of veal via Anton Chigurh. I love it.

Homer turning into Gregory Peck's Atticus Finch when he stood up for Lisa and Lisa respects him for that? This is one of the weirder premises I've seen, but it was sweet in its own way (as was the ending with Maggie talking to him...somehow). You know when the plot is weak and short when they just kill time, like with Duffman and his crew. JK Simmons doing speed psychiatry was genius, but wow, they rush THAT? Turns out, Al Jean wrote the episode, which explains why the episode came in short on time. This was a REALLY weird episode and I don't know what to make of it.

Odd that Lisa's porkchop costume is a clear reference to To Kill A Mockingbird, but nothing really came of it, just an easter egg.

Lotta great sign gags:

-Heisenberger and Fries
-Cruelty-Free Saxaphone Reeds
-To Mock a Killing Bird
-The Science of Futurama (with Prof. Farnsworth cameo!)
-The return of Homer's pennants, one reading "Boo Radley" and the other "Yay Radley"
-Lisa's Ed Begley Junior Junior poster

I think Chalmers being Jewish is a more random retcon than Shauna being Chalmers' daughter. Jon Lovitz showing up (to kill time...) was a treat, as was the return of Llewellyn Sinclair at the beginning of the episode.

Homer randomly passing out and coming to in different places was great.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 2

Homer and Lisa bonding over To Kill A Mockingbird was great.

I said it many times before and I'll say it again: MARGE IS THE WORST. Why oh why must she meddle with everything?! Bart is going to be a horrible brat no matter what his relationship with his father is. Let Lisa look up to her dad a litle while. I swear to God, it's like Marge wants Lisa to be as bitter and disillusioned as she is.

*sigh* At least that last bit with Homer and Maggie was sweet.

• Like 2

Loved the speed therapy sessions at the school.

Krusty the Clone -- Weekdays at 6.  In the Future.

Professor Farnsworth and the 'The Science of Futurama' mobile board -- complete with space travel (the Planet Express ship), Statistics (Fun-o-graph), Magnetism (magnetic bowtie), Cryogenics (President Nixon's head in a jar), Lasers (Laser Gun), and Robotics (Hedonismbot).

Springfield Mall - Rats Control Third Floor

Springfield Mall looks a little rundown, and has numerous depressing stores.
Stores seen in Springfield Mall:
-- Destitution Hardware
-- Poverty Barn
-- Wage Gap
-- Toys Were Us
-- Goodbye Kitty
-- Wee Madame

Brands at the Wee Madame Shop
-- Twerking Girl
-- Ho Sweet Ho
-- Baby's First Thong
-- Call of Booty
-- Raggedy Anorexic
-- The Edge of 13
-- Jack the Stripper (for boys)

Nelson as Anton Chigurh with the cattle stunner throughout the episode was awesome -- including the end credits scene where he was threatening Puppy Goo-goo to extort Milhouse for money.

That history of veal in the school production was all kinds of wrong -- people don't want to know how the sausage is made (especially veal sausage).

Miss Hoover: "Who says my class is grim ? Who's Jem ? What are you talking about ?"
Lisa: "It's from 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. Page 67. The book you assigned us to read."
Miss Hoover: "I assigned you to read the Wikipedia article."

I liked that Bart's book 'To Mock a Killing Bird' had a vulture on the cover.

Lenny: "I never got along with my old man. He was disappointed I didn't follow him in the family business."
Moe: "What did he do ?"
Lenny: "He was editor of Life Magazine."
Moe: "Uh, I thought that was defunct."
Lenny: "Uh, he keeps saying a real son would have bought it out of bankruptcy and launched it as a digital platform. Well angel funders want to much equity.  Sorry Dad !"

Moe: "Yeah, my dad left the day I was most vulnerable -- the day after mom left. Yeah that was a tough week there."

Krusty: "I don't drive a minivan. Do I look like a suburban soccer mom from Phoenix ?"
Sideshow Mel: "Well, sometimes when you're tired."
Krusty: "Shut up !"

Abe: "You can't beat an addiction, Marge. I got hooked on Agatha Christie books, I always thought the murderer was that know-it-all Belgian. Turns out he was the detective. 41 books and I never saw it coming."

I like that Gregory Peck, Mary Badham, Philip Alford and John Megna were credited as Special Guests, since there was so much of the 1962 movie 'To Kill a Mockingbird' shown during the episode --  they played Atticus, Scout, Jem and Dill in the movie.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Lisa: “Oh, Dad, you’re my hero!”

Homer: “The guy who kills the mockingbird?”

Lisa: “No one kills a mockingbird.”

Homer: “Whoa, whoa, whoa—spoiler alert!”

• Like 4

Former school psychologist here - those speed therapy sessions were uncomfortably close to reality, thanks to budget cuts.

"Toys Were Us" made me sad, given this is about the time I'd make my yearly visit.

Loved the movie clips integrated into the animation.

• Like 3

On 12/2/2018 at 11:42 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Abe: "You can't beat an addiction, Marge. I got hooked on Agatha Christie books, I always thought the murderer was that know-it-all Belgian. Turns out he was the detective. 41 books and I never saw it coming."

This quote was funny but bothered me because as a fan of the books, it isn't totally accurate. Won't say anything else to avoid spoiling things.

There were lots of sight gags in this one and the mall stores were quite sad. I love malls and am sad so many are dying.

• Like 2

Lisa: “Oh, Dad, you’re my hero!” Homer: “The guy who kills the mockingbird?” Lisa: “No one kills a mockingbird.” Homer: “Whoa, whoa, whoa—spoiler alert!”

I looked it up because it was driving me crazy because I knew Homer had already read the book.  " I'll have to read Marge's book. And I swore never to read again after 'To Kill a Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on killing mockingbirds. It did teach me not to judge a man based on the color of his skin, but what good does that do me? "  Heh, why do I remember these things. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

Former school psychologist here - those speed therapy sessions were uncomfortably close to reality, thanks to budget cuts.

"Toys Were Us" made me sad, given this is about the time I'd make my yearly visit.

For what it's worth, ToysRUs is surviving up in Canada and doing quite well. They even brought back the "I want to be a ToysRUs kid" advertising campaign for this season. :) So if you want a yearly visit, head North. 

As for the ep itself, one of the stronger ones recently IMO, but still felt a bit off. The gags were fun, and I did like it, so it's about on par for recent Simpsons in general. :) 

On 12/4/2018 at 1:35 AM, giovannif7 said:

I remember they've done this at least once before, when Skinner was showing the schoolkids the Rex Harrison Doctor Doolittle.  Are there other examples?

• Like 1