OnceSane

S07.E15: Reunion Part 2

The dramatic sit-down continues as the group recounts a series of exhilarating highs and challenging lows. Destiney reexamines the emotionally-draining search for her father and shares what she found out about him. Nema and Golnesa come clean about just how far their flirtatious encounters went, while Mike and Reza deal with the remnants of their fallout in Las Vegas. Mercedes, with Vida and Tommy by her side, divulges secrets about her wedding and their hopes for the future.

Airs November 29, 2018.

• Like 1

I just have to say something about Shervin after seeing that clip of him in his towel.  Considering he probably wants his sexual partners to be waxed from the eyebrow down, he should try it himself.  Ugh, the hair on his back, yikes!

• Like 1

I loathe Reza. He's not funny. He's a habitual backstabber and pathological underminer. He knows full fucking well that he's been talking shit about Nema for fundamentally superficial and trivial things. Nema has a white Lexus. Ugh, he should be burned at the stake. They've talked shit about Nema and Mona for being more accomplished, better educated, and less shallow than the rest of them.

I would never wish it on an innocent child, but a very dark part of me wishes that GG somehow finds a way to use Adam as a sperm donor just to fuck with and ruin Reza's life.

I know there are some people out there who probably think GG should give Shalom the ring, but he's legally not entitled to it. Giving him the ring is essentially a pay off to funds he's not entitled to. How much could GG have possibly earned in the 7 weeks they were married? He's entitled to half of that at most.

Vida needs to stop giving unsolicited make-up advice. I know it's her profession, but her look is no great shakes either.

Edited by HunterHunted · Reason: To include the correct duration of their failed marriage
  • Like 15

I know there are some people out there who probably think GG should give Shalom the ring, but he's legally not entitled to it

Actually, under California law, he is entitled to it because it IS so valuable and because the marriage was of short duration. The law is pretty clear on this. She’s being so shady saying that he won’t sign the papers when it’s really her petty refusal to give the damn ring back that is holding up the divorce. 

And don’t even get me started on her idiotic plan to smoke marijuana while pregnant. I used to like her but now I just wish she would take her loser self off the show. Nema dodged a bullet with that one.

• Like 4

I guess I'm alone on my island of adoration for this season.  Eh, I can live with that.

I know Nema & Destiney won't get together, because that would be too charming and normal for this crew.  But a girl can dream.

I wish GG would return the ring -- maybe negotiate a share of the selling price? because that's a hideous mistake of a marriage and she should rid herself of all souvenirs.  Plus, despite the size, it looks...cheap.  

And she did make noise about backing off the pot-smoking (done for her RA relief) under a professional's care -- smart -- so I'm assuming the doctor will say: Stop before you get pregnant.

I got as weepy as this show has ever allowed, watching them talk about MJ's dad.  Of course it would hit me where it hurts, but I was moved to see the Shahs share the pain.  Since they share everything else.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, ghertigirl said:

Actually, under California law, he is entitled to it because it IS so valuable and because the marriage was of short duration. The law is pretty clear on this. She’s being so shady saying that he won’t sign the papers when it’s really her petty refusal to give the damn ring back that is holding up the divorce. 

That's not true under the common law and it's not what California law seems to suggest either.

California Civil Code Section 1590

Where either party to a contemplated marriage in this State makes a gift of money or property to the other on the basis or assumption that the marriage will take place, in the event that the donee refuses to enter into the marriage as contemplated or that it is given up by mutual consent, the donor may recover such gift or such part of its value as may, under all of the circumstances of the case, be found by a court or jury to be just.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=1590.&lawCode=CIV

If they don't get married, he probably gets it back. If it's a family heirloom, he will likely get it back. If he added to it or upgraded it during the marriage, they probably have to split the value.

California Family Code Division 4 Part 2 Chapter 2. Separate Property 770

(a) Separate property of a married person includes all of the following:

(1) All property owned by the person before marriage.

(2) All property acquired by the person after marriage by gift, bequest, devise, or descent.

(3) The rents, issues, and profits of the property described in this section.

(b) A married person may, without the consent of the person’s spouse, convey the person’s separate property.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=FAM&division=4.&title=&part=2.&chapter=2.&article=

As an engagement ring is a gift acquired before marriage, it is separate property.

Admittedly, I only learned enough family law to pass the bar and have never practiced California, but what I've read suggests that California statutes and case law seems to be pretty close to the common law. However, you may know a statute or case that says otherwise.

If the ring is legally GG's, she's not being petty. He also asked for spousal support for their 12 second marriage. Listen I get that he's unhappy that he's out more than $100K for this engagement ring, but this is a very expensive lesson for his dumb ass. Don't spend that kind of money on a ring for a woman you met a month ago. He's the one who is being petty by dragging this out just so he can get money and property that he's probably not entitled to.

1 hour ago, ghertigirl said:

And don’t even get me started on her idiotic plan to smoke marijuana while pregnant.

Shalom better not drag his heels too long. If she actually manages to get knocked up and deliver this kid while they're still married, Shalom is going to be the presumptive father of this kid.

30 minutes ago, voiceover said:

I wish GG would return the ring -- maybe negotiate a share of the selling price? because that's a hideous mistake of a marriage and she should rid herself of all souvenirs.  Plus, despite the size, it looks...cheap.  

That's my feeling on the matter too. It's ugly and the she needs this guy gone from her life with the quickness. At the same time, I understand her stubbornness on the matter. It's about weighing her priorities. Is it worth $40,000 - $75,000, to get him out her life? It probably is.

• Like 8

Well, that was a bore. Yelling at each other, pointing out their flaws. But..... we love each other, we are family, these people are my brothers and sisters, we talk every day, we have each other's backs. I'm sick of hearing that BS. 

Mike and Reza are both jealous of Nema. They don't want somebody new coming in to the group that the fans are going to like and the fans like Nema. They have to find something to criticize about him so let it be the white Lexus. They are questioning why Nema came on to the show. Are you kidding me? Why did any of them come on the show? 

I still can't picture MJ as a mom. Her entire life has to be restructured. Desperately wanting a baby does not mean you are going to be a good parent. She is going to have to realize it's not going to be all about her anymore and there are going to be many days and nights she can't go out and party. She's extremely self-centered and at 48 yrs. old how much can she change? Will there be a lot of fights between her and Tommy and opinionated Vida on how to raise the child, who is doing what wrong? It all remains to be seen. I wish them the best, for the baby's sake. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

Mike and Reza are both jealous of Nema. They don't want somebody new coming in to the group that the fans are going to like and the fans like Nema. They have to find something to criticize about him so let it be the white Lexus. They are questioning why Nema came on to the show. Are you kidding me? Why did any of them come on the show? 

Thank you!  100% this.

Reza is a monster.  I couldn't follow his logic on the "if you can't take me mocking your car or [insert other minor thing]..." I know these people are on a reality show, but I tend not to mock my friends for things that don't affect me at all, aka their car choice.  I know he didn't ruin anyone's life this season, so Nema is probably up for it next season.  However, with that said, never change Reza.  

• Like 4

I will happily confess to only sorta watching the reunion but did Nema say GG said some vile things about him on social media?  Something about his sister and a hand? Seriously, what was up with that?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, voiceover said:

I guess I'm alone on my island of adoration for this season.  Eh, I can live with that.

Nope!  I loved it too!  I think this may be my fave season, except maybe the first one.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, albarino said:

I will happily confess to only sorta watching the reunion but did Nema say GG said some vile things about him on social media?  Something about his sister and a hand? Seriously, what was up with that?

She said she was going to fist Nema with Mona's hand. I don't know why or where her sudden animosity came from.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

She said she was going to fist Nema with Mona's hand. I don't know why or where her sudden animosity came from.

And I can't figure out how stoned she must've been to come up with that for an insult.  That is a mental image that requires work.  And frankly: Eeeeeyyyeeeeuuuuuwwww!

Who can blame Nema for his reax to her last night.  I'm thinking, GG could show up on his doorstep, dressed in a whipped cream teddy, and he'd be within his rights to say, "Hard pass!" as he slammed the door.

Involving his sister in a sexual insult is a line-crosser if there ever was one.

• Like 10

17 hours ago, tinaw said:

I missed if Destiny came out as Bi or Hetro

She didn't come out. They actually clowned Mike for thinking that. They said that it was motivated by his vanity and insecurity because Destiney isn't sexually interested in him.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Is it worth $40,000 - $75,000, to get him out her life? It probably is.

That will certainly pay for her to have a baby. Seems like a much better use for it anyway. Turn a negative into a positive. 

• Like 1

With the exception of Nema & his sister, the rest of these people are such a poor representation of Persians, unless this is what they are all like. It seems as though rather than showing highly educated, productive and inspiring people we have overdressed, over made up, status symbol and jewelry loving, lazy, loud and profane people who would make me run from if Ihad to do business with them. I know this is Bravo but I don’t find them interesting, entertaining or like able and if they don’t get another season I won’t shed a tear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caseysgirl said:

With the exception of Nema & his sister, the rest of these people are such a poor representation of Persians, unless this is what they are all like. 

Yes.  It's true.  We are all like this. I would totes run in the opposite direction if I met one, and I *am* one.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

She didn't come out. They actually clowned Mike for thinking that. They said that it was motivated by his vanity and insecurity because Destiney isn't sexually interested in him.

Awesome. Thanks for the update. Gotta try to catch it now

5 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

With the exception of Nema & his sister, the rest of these people are such a poor representation of Persians, unless this is what they are all like. 

Yep, ALL of us Persians are totally just like these 6 or 7 people. Well, we're either like this or all terrorists, depending on who you ask. But hey, at least we have yummy food. 

• Like 8

Is anyone else getting gay vibes from Mike? After unsuccessfully trying to "out" Destiney, he proclaims his participation in the gay, lesbian and bi jewish-iranian community (there is one?). And then declares his love for and nearly makes out with Reza (who were both dressed in matching chest-out tight suits). Mike and Reza each have their own brand of misogyny - Reza's "I'm gay, bitch!" and Mike's contemptuous inability to be faithful to any one woman. If I had only ever seen this one episode of Shahs, I would think Mike is really a closet case.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wallies said:

Is anyone else getting gay vibes from Mike? After unsuccessfully trying to "out" Destiney, he proclaims his participation in the gay, lesbian and bi jewish-iranian community (there is one?). And then declares his love for and nearly makes out with Reza (who were both dressed in matching chest-out tight suits). Mike and Reza each have their own brand of misogyny - Reza's "I'm gay, bitch!" and Mike's contemptuous inability to be faithful to any one woman. If I had only ever seen this one episode of Shahs, I would think Mike is really a closet case.

I think Mike is of course overcompensating for his various shortcomings. However, I think Mike has become a little bit protective of his support from gay fans after Reza repeatedly called a recent gay Iranian immigrant a faggot and was kicked off the Persian Pride float in season 3.

Tommy might not be my cup of tea...he’s loud and brash and crude, but he has a heart of gold. He’s not only looking out for his wife MJ but he’s looking out for tough nut Veda too (see how solitious he was to Veda walking on set?) and trying to keep the relationship between mother and daughter smooth. Kudos to Tommy....it seems to be working. He’s the kind of guy I want on my team.

• Like 9

On 11/30/2018 at 3:15 PM, KeeperOfTheIce said:

Sad that GG is so damaged - Nema seems like a genuine nice guy who could have been good for her.

Nemo dodged a bullet. 

• Like 4

On 11/30/2018 at 12:15 PM, KeeperOfTheIce said:

Sad that GG is so damaged - Nema seems like a genuine nice guy who could have been good for her.

I wonder how much is "damage" as opposed to just being a raging asshole.  Neither Nema nor a truckload of pot can reign in her awfulness.

• Like 8

I don’t care if pot is legal in California or not, just like alcohol, it isn’t meant to use all day and night.  That is a problem.  I would think GG has been through her fair share of therapy as she seemed to have exhibited issues from an early age.  I would even think she’s been on meds from a physiatrist.  In the end, nothing seems to have helped.  The thought of her having a child is frightening.  Who knows, it could turn her life around.  Then again, maybe not.  Then the child would suffer.  I can’t stand Reza and he has done some horrible things to GG.  I can’t wait for his hair products to fail.  I’m sorry for Adam.

I think MJ could be a good mom.  As someone upthread mentioned, Vita will be a problem.  I have a policy in regard to my grandkids, I rarely offer any voluntary parenting advise.  I only give it if I’m asked.  It keep things copacetic.

Love Nema, I hope he returns.  The show needs him.

Edited by Emmeline
  • Like 4

I didn't like Destiney this season but watching the reunion, I actually don't mind her. She can stick around but needs a better storyline than "searching for bio dad." I feel for her in a way but I don't care *that* much about it. It'll be interesting to see next season unfold. I'm definitely hooked after this being my first full season. The food always makes me hungry though. I'll have to dvr it and only watch at dinner time.

• Like 4

I just caught-up on this mess after I forgot about this show back in October.  Yikes!  Where to go from here?  I don't really see much in the way of untold story.  This show could end now without any loose ends, and it probably should.

Edited by strongoxman
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 4:34 AM, strongoxman said:

I just caught-up on this mess after I forgot about this show back in October.  Yikes!  Where to go from here?  I don't really see much in the way of untold story.  This show could end now without any loose ends, and it probably should.

I'm not a regular viewer of this show, but, have turned in occasionally.  As I watch it, I just can't figure out what is wrong with this cast.  They are very perplexing to me. And, I don't mean that in a good way. 

• Like 1