jamesddog30

Season 5 Discussion

On 1/25/2019 at 4:12 PM, Neurochick said:

Why do the men segregate themselves by race yet the women don’t?

I find this fascinating, myself.

My current conclusion, (subject to change upon discovery of new and/or compelling evidence) is as follows:

In order to pass the time, men create uberAlphaman drama.  Divided by “race”, ruled by hierarchy, etc.  The “wood” -in- charge created a “council” to handle and enforce “wood” rules.  I can’t take any of that seriously, especially when they end up killing each other over being “disrespected” by another race.

Women, on the other hand, don’t need to segregate by race/create rules with an established hierarchy of enforcers and whatnot to have a day full of drama.  It’s just there when they all wake up like morning dew.

• Like 1

If Abner says "I'm the enforcer" one. more. time ..... well, I don't know what I'll do, but it's irking me to no end.  He's become just a bit too "inmate" if you ask me, which you didn't, but still.  Can he get in trouble for real for whooping up on that young guy?  Looks like assault to me.

Seems like David has absolutely ingratiated himself within the pod and comes off as totally legit.

Mark continues to stick out like a sore thumb.  What is his crime supposed to be?  I don't think I know what any of their crimes are, and if anybody knows, I'd appreciate a quick explanation, thankyouverymuch.

The women all seem to be fitting in quite nicely as well.  Barbie maybe not as much, but I believe Jasmyne could stay there indefinitely and be happy as a clam.

All that said, I find this season to be boring as hell.  I've enjoyed all the previous seasons, but this one just leaves me cold.  Remember one of the early seasons where one of the women (real inmate, not a participant) flung herself off the second level trying to kill herself?  Now THAT'S good TV!  (no disrespect to the woman).

But I'll keep watching.

• Like 3

Abner clearly doesn’t know the definition of the word “mentor.”

When he kept referring to Ikaika as being “racially confused”, he sounded like me parents who don’t approve of their children who identify as anything other than being heterosexual. I can’t even begin to think about what type of chaplain he is. 🙄

Lastly, if he says “politics” or “enforcer” one more time...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bridget said:

racially confused

Apparently this is a Big Deal in men’s prisons.

I knew this white guy who was in CYA (California Youth Authority) in his teens.  He ended up getting Swastika tatooes on his arms and one hand, SS and the whole Aryan Peckerwood BS.  His brothers, one of them his twin, no less, dated black girls. So of course me being me I asked him about it.  He said he joined because he HAD to, got the tattoes  because he HAD to, it didn’t mean anything outside of a prison environment. He didn’t consider himself a racist.  I said what does that swastika on your hand mean, then?  He said , and I quote, “when I shake your hand it means I hate you, n*****.”

I think what makes this season a little less interesting then the other seasons is that whoever picked the fake mates actually did a good job.  The one nut bag tapped out early.  Even Right Wing Blonde Barbie is actually doing what she is supposed to be doing.  While other seasons you had everyone falling into different degrees of insanity and treating this like a love connection, job interview, or a contest  this season seems more like everyone is attempting to actually fit in with the inmates which is what they are supposed to do....but doesn't make for good tv.

That being said the mens side all need to watch that they don't cross any lines especially Abner who is walking a very thin line.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, kicotan said:

Apparently this is a Big Deal in men’s prisons.

I knew this white guy who was in CYA (California Youth Authority) in his teens.  He ended up getting Swastika tatooes on his arms and one hand, SS and the whole Aryan Peckerwood BS.  His brothers, one of them his twin, no less, dated black girls. So of course me being me I asked him about it.  He said he joined because he HAD to, got the tattoes  because he HAD to, it didn’t mean anything outside of a prison environment. He didn’t consider himself a racist.  I said what does that swastika on your hand mean, then?  He said , and I quote, “when I shake your hand it means I hate you, n*****.”

I understand the need for people to do “necessary things” in order to survive in specific locations, but Abner has got to be the least articulate “mentor” I have ever encountered.

The way Abner kept saying that ”Ikaika is racially confused” was what was confusing to me as a viewer. We know Abner doesn’t have the biggest vocabulary or basic understanding of what some words mean, but it would have been much more clear to the audience had he explained what he meant by the phrase “racially confused.” (Pick a racial identity in order to go along with the unwritten rules of jail/prison.)

I wish he would have clarified his train of thought by providing an example in a talking head or better yet, explaining it explicitly and directly to Ikaika. 

Too bad that the “mentor” didn’t say something like “Listen, this is how it works in here. You might not like it, but there is a method to the madness. I understand you come from a multi-cultural home, but that doesn’t matter in here. For safety reasons, you need to choose a side or suffer the consequences.”

I read the previous posts that Ikaika had been in trouble with the law before this stay in jail. I’m not defending him at all (I always Ffwd through the fights - I just can’t watch that stuff), but I find Abner’s behavior beyond puzzling. The guy is now a freakin chaplain, yet he has appeared to spiral so quickly into the “tough and non-communicative guy” category who is doing the exact opposite of mentoring anyone. That particular  aspect alone fascinates me. 

1 hour ago, Bridget said:

I read the previous posts that Ikaika had been in trouble with the law before this stay in jail. I’m not defending him at all (I always Ffwd through the fights - I just can’t watch that stuff), but I find Abner’s behavior beyond puzzling. The guy is now a freakin chaplain, yet he has appeared to spiral so quickly into the “tough and non-communicative guy” category who is doing the exact opposite of mentoring anyone. That particular  aspect alone fascinates me. 

He is also the only one of the group who has done time before and has been a gang banger.    He is the one who as real life knowledge of how things work not only in a jail setting but in a prison one as well.