OnceSane

S07.E13: A Very MJ Wedding

MJ's wedding unfolds in typical MJ fashion, sprinkled with chaos and complications; as the bride attempts to make it down the aisle in one piece, the Shahs are forced to confront their feelings about marriage while contemplating their futures.

Airs November 8, 2018.

I know, but the makeup does look too heavy.  At least in my humble opinion.

I also have to add that I just can’t see where MJ has lost weight or toned up??

• Like 7

In early to agree with Vida: so you know hell has frozen over.

MJ's makeup is crap.  She looked better with minimal makeup at her father's memorial.

• Like 7

Vida is a whole lot of something. “You ignored me from the second I walked in the door!” Like duh. I don’t love MJ’s makeup but I wouldn’t put my face in Vida’s hands either.

That illusion neckline on her dress is driving me batty. But I love her hair and tiara. 

The name embroidered on the veil was a beautiful touch. I’m not crying, you’re crying.

• Like 11

15 hours ago, ivygirl said:

Vida is a whole lot of something. “You ignored me from the second I walked in the door!” Like duh. I don’t love MJ’s makeup but I wouldn’t put my face in Vida’s hands either.

That illusion neckline on her dress is driving me batty. But I love her hair and tiara. 

The name embroidered on the veil was a beautiful touch. I’m not crying, you’re crying.

The illusion thingy looks like it was trimmed with scissors.

Edited by nexxie
  • Like 10

6 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

I love how much Tommy loves MJ. 

Beautiful wedding. MJ looked beautiful.  It's a whole bunch of nuts from different types of nut trees coming together for a lovely occasion. I think MJ is a very pretty woman. I hope they (MJ & Tommy) have a good time together in the future.

Edited by chenoa333
  • Like 12

Just now, chenoa333 said:

Beautiful wedding. MJ looked beautiful.  It's a whole bunch of nuts from different types of nut trees coming together for a lovely occasion. I think MJ is a very pretty woman. I hope they have a good time together in thw future.

Me too. Aside from that super long wait for MJ, it’s really personal and kind of fun. I thought it was cute that she was stopping as she went down the aisle.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Adam looks yummy.

Yeah. He's yummy but not pitching for my team! Lol ! I hope Reza can someday, get over his fears,  break down his walls and let Adam love him completely and allow himself to love someone completely. Reza has a great partner. Hope he realizes it before its too late.

• Like 6

I guess all these people were getting paid while waiting for MJ to show up, but, that would have annoyed the crap out of me.  Good luck, Tommy!

• Like 3

Well, MJ looked better once she got to the altar.  I don't know if the makeup got wiped off, sweated off, or someone worked her over with powder.  A young colleague favors that look: stripes of dark base alternated with white sparkly highlights.  And it's....ehhhhhhhhh.  I imagine underneath the makeup mask, she's adorable.  Like I know MJ is.

Why didn't they assign one of the little girls to carry her train down the steps??

Great job by the minister, holding this comedy together & keeping it elegant.

Who knew Mike would prove to be an excellent wedding narrator?

The Shahs looked so genuinely happy for MJ.  I almost bawled.

Looks like:

Spoiler

they're going to stir up a shitstorm at the reunion.  This is prolly contractually obligated.

My favorite season, and it's not even close.  Low on the drama, high on the joy.  They've evolved.  Fingers crossed, they keep up the good work.

• Like 10

"Oh God. Finish already." This is why with Asa refusing to be candid, GG threatening to stab everyone, Mike only banging hos and lying about it, and Reza not so secretly trying to estrange himself from his husband, that Vida is the perennial worst. The man has proclaimed his love for her only child and she's busy rolling her eyes and muttering that he needs to hurry it up. The amount of stuff he's had to work through with MJ is immense. A man who doesn't love her as much as Tommy loves her would have bailed.

Along with Mac's beautiful and devastating coming out dance on It's Always Sunny, Tommy's crass, hilarious, but ultimately heartfelt and besotted vows have had me weeping for a solid 24 hours. 

MJ really needed more fittings on that wedding dress. With the illusion netting as support and her snipping, that thing was going to be circumnavigating her waist in another 30 minutes.

Adam is a dumb dummy who lets Reza get away with fucking murder.

Sue is grudgingly admitting that Mike might possibly maybe a little bit be at fault in the demise of his marriage. 

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, ivygirl said:

*wrings out handkerchief*

Hey, I'm not crying!!

I'm watching this in a, uhhh..sauna.

• Like 3

The makeup artist wasn't Persian, was she? 

All the makeup stuff reminded me of my sister's wedding a few years ago. We're Persian (in case you hadn't heard by now), and the (white) makeup artist slathered on too much heavy makeup on me. My sister can pull off heavy makeup and dark liner and has sharp cheekbones that balanced out the emphasis on the eyes and looked fabulous, but since I have genetic permanent dark circles under my eyes, I'm not the biggest fan of heavy lower liner, which is exactly what the makeup artist did with my eye makeup. It's not like I looked bad, but to me personally, it didn't feel at all like me. We already have naturally genetically "dramatic" features, they really don't need even more emphasis. I thought Destiney's makeup looked good though. MJ should have used that makeup artist instead!

Also I guess LA Persian weddings are different than all the Persian weddings I've gone to, because all the extra boobage hanging out from the ladies would have gotten major side eye from the rest of the guests. 

ETA: What a hot ass mess of a wedding. Yikes. 

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Like 7

I thought it was interesting that so many of Shervin’s family was there. The dudes were adorable with his nephew.

i wonder how many drugs MJ was on because there is no way she was that calm without being helped chemically.

• Like 4

Wow, I was stunned at the wedding ceremony, What a couple of classless buffoons.  Swearing and arguing during the vows, tacky. The upper part of her dress was a mess, looked like someone hacked at it with dull scissors. Her greeting everyone coming down the aisle, has she never been to a wedding before?  Walk down the aisle already, you have already kept these people waiting for an hour. (Did I see a Prince impersonator in the crowd? Lol) But again, that damn dress was a travesty, her jumpsuit for the reception was amazing and she looked amazing in it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MJ and Tommy and think they are perfect for one another, but geeze, pull your shit together for ONE day, in fact, ONE hour for the ceremony then go crazy.

Reza, Reza, Reza, I had second hand embarrassment at your "speech"  Again with the swearing, not necessary. Such a beautiful chic room wasted on these tacky people.

Everyone else looked great but I couldn't wrap my head around Mona's dress, why the long train that you have to hold up all night? The dress was beautiful though. Destiny, go away, Yaaassss. Sure hope she isn't back next year although I'm certain she will be back with her stupid "looking for daddy" storyline.

All in all, I'm happy for both MJ and Tommy and hope the reunion delivers!

• Like 9

Agree that the beautiful venue and all the expense of this wedding was wasted on 2 people who are like the gypsies or trailer trash we see on other reality shows. I do not like MJ or think she is funny or cute and I can’t understand why so many people allow her to behave so  ridiculously all the time. But then, there really isn’t one person in this franchise that I find tolerable at all. This was my first season & probably my last. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ivygirl said:

Me too. Aside from that super long wait for MJ, it’s really personal and kind of fun. I thought it was cute that she was stopping as she went down the aisle.

I agree. Even though there was a lot of trashy behavior/language, I kind of loved it. Would be my wedding, but I'd have fun at someone else's. Vida was completely crazy and her makeup was also a bit much, but I agreed with her on MJ looking "like a Chinese" and then "like wood." Loved how the friends' families were there. Another sign that these are true friends and not fake friends like on other shows. My love for Nema grows.

• Like 5

I’m pretty sure that all that light powder on MJ was “baking.” It’s pretty popular among YouTube and Instagram “makeup artists” and it’s designed to set your makeup and make the finish more smooth. The irony is, a lot of people think it doesn’t really benefit anyone much past their 20s and it actually makes your lines show up more.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, cheewhiz said:

Did I see a Prince impersonator in the crowd? Lol

Yeah! Her name was GG! 

Yech! Blech!

Edited by Kdawg82
  • Like 6

Vida cracked me up.  "Right now you look Chinese." Lmao! But she's pretty much a wayyy nicer & normal version of my own mother. She has some love in her heart. It seems everyone knows how to deal w/ her. Reza had it right "I love Vida Joon but she is a straight up hater." 

MJ looked nice but I liked the hair and jumpsuit at the reception much better and she should've worn it for the ceremony as well. It would've been comfortable and stopped her from getting stuck. I was a laid back bride also and had less people helping me and just more people getting on my back. 

Vows were embarrassing as hell. Mike's face was just cringing the entire ceremony towards MJ. I saw eye rolls at Reza's man of honor speech also. Shocked Reza didn't speak about Shams but rather Tommy's best man did. I would think a woman of MJs age would have better composure at her wedding . 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Wow MJ is shitfaced!

No kidding. I came on this site expecting that would be the first thing someone posted.  MJ was the one worried about Tommy being trashed too.  Did anyone notice her taking a pill after Vida went off on the makeup artist.  I wonder if it reacted bad with the alcohol she was drinking?  She reminded me of the movie 16 candles.  Molly Ringwald's sister took a bunch of valium because she had menstraual cramps.  I almost expected MJ to announce to the attendees that she too had her period!

13 hours ago, Miss Slay said:

I've never seen a wedding like that.

I'm surprised MJ didn't step on her dress or train and rip it.  How ridiculous that the veil was pulling back like that.  And greeting people while walking down the aisle. She wasn't going to perform at a concert.  Loved that Tommy's adopted parents were so happy for him.  Vida putting on lipstick during the ceremony,  hope that was just editing.  The reception venue was gorgeous.  Thought it was creepy though for the hand coming out of the flower wall, handing out the table  number cards.

Edited by howiveaddict
  • Like 5

How many people were at the wedding? Was it ever mentioned? I thought Persians usually have around 500 people or so-correct me If I'm wrong. I felt like mostly just the cast and a few dozen others were at the ceremony. Not sure about the reception. The cameras only focus on the main players. So if they panned the shots out, would it reveal around 500 people? It almost feels like it's "all for TV" then there was a separate, more traditional and CLASSY Persian ceremony held elsewhere at another time. 

Nema needs to get far away from GG. She used to act like a rabid 35 year old. Now she acts like a high 18 year old. Not working, sister. The grin she flashes every time they show the ring appraisal is just gross. 

I wish Destiney would also get off my screen.  She is one annoying, fake poseur.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Kdawg82 said:

How many people were at the wedding? Was it ever mentioned? I thought Persians usually have around 500 people or so-correct me If I'm wrong. I felt like mostly just the cast and a few dozen others were at the ceremony. Not sure about the reception. The cameras only focus on the main players. So if they panned the shots out, would it reveal around 500 people? It almost feels like it's "all for TV" then there was a separate, more traditional and CLASSY Persian ceremony held elsewhere at another time. 

Nema needs to get far away from GG. She used to act like a rabid 35 year old. Now she acts like a high 18 year old. Not working, sister. The grin she flashes every time they show the ring appraisal is just gross. 

I wish Destiney would also get off my screen.  She is one annoying, fake poseur.

One of the best things about this group is that they are not just a cast. With a very few exceptions, they've all known each other since they were children or teens That's the wedding.

• Like 7

It almost feels like it's "all for TV" then there was a separate, more traditional and CLASSY Persian ceremony held elsewhere at another time. 

I had the same thought about ceremony size--when they panned out, it seemed small for what a traditional Persian wedding would be, and I wondered if this was just for TV.

• Like 3

Dang, i used to think Tommy was a big ol' CREEP, but he really did stick with mj. I guess i was wrong. 

The jumpsuit was a thousand times better on mj than the dress. Her makeup was better as was her hair (although it was pretty messy). 

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Emmeline said:

I also have to add that I just can’t see where MJ has lost weight or toned up??

I can't see it either. I think she gained at least 20 lbs over the course of the season, from when she was training and running in the beginning. Baby got back now! She's huge. And I don't think she cares. It's kind of cool. I think, as far as trimming down for the wedding goes, she peaked early. I had the same problem with my wedding, though not nearly to the same extent. Annnnnnd that is the only thing MJ and I have in common whatsoever lol.

20 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Wow MJ is shitfaced!

She was...So. Fucked. Up. When she was getting her makeup done, she could barely speak. She and Tommy exchanging "vows" at the ceremony...he, being easily 17 drinks in, and she being high as a kite on at least alcohol and pot (probably more), slouching, shifting their weight, fighting, cursing. At first, I was like, "holy shit, this is gonna get annulled or not even happen." But then, as it went on and on, I sorta started to dig it. Two people meant for each other. Why not? 

They were insanely fucked up though. I highly doubt they even remember it. Guess that's what cameras are for!

Destiney, that dress was not your friend. Please exit stage left hun. You're insufferable.

• Like 8

I always find myself so confused when Mike is the voice of reason.  His wedding narration was great.

That wedding was a mess.  But they seem happy and that’s what matters.  I loved that Tommy was just nonchalant about MJ being late.  

My ex was about 30 minutes late to the venue for our wedding (not the actual start time, the prep time) and I’d asked my make up artist to stay and cover the lingering black eye he had from a sports incident the week before.  Everyone was whispering and acting weird and I finally asked what was going on and they said he was late.  He was always late, I wasn’t concerned.  But, we didn’t swear at each other during our vows. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

How many people were at the wedding? Was it ever mentioned? I thought Persians usually have around 500 people or so-correct me If I'm wrong.

Out of all the Persian weddings I've gone to, the largest one was maybe 150 people at most. I've never heard of a Persian wedding at least in my family, or extended family, or family's friends or friends of friends who had 500 people at their wedding ;)

• Like 4

I could not watch this season..just couldn't.  But I did watch the wedding.  What happened to their other two pal?  The one that had a Jackson baby and sold kaftans?

1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

I could not watch this season..just couldn't.  But I did watch the wedding.  What happened to their other two pal?  The one that had a Jackson baby and sold kaftans?

Asa? She owns a store and keeps in touch with everyone except for MJ. I don't miss her a single bit.

• Like 11

Am i the only one who likes Destiney? I like that she's always pleasant, doesn't seem to engage in the venomous gossip that reza and mj bring and she is just cute. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, knitta please said:

Asa? She owns a store and keeps in touch with everyone except for MJ. I don't miss her a single bit.

Yes Asa.  I liked her.  Seems during and after the baby she was pretty much done.  I thought she and MJ were bosom buddies.  Well I guess until the pregnancy changed all that. 

• Like 2

Wow that wedding was crazy! MJ was clearly under the influence. I was honestly afraid for her to talk down that long flight of stairs by herself! Why didn't Reza walk her down? I think MJ is beautiful, but I can't imagine her & Tommy becoming parents.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

Am i the only one who likes Destiney? I like that she's always pleasant, doesn't seem to engage in the venomous gossip that reza and mj bring and she is just cute. 

Kind of warming up to her. I found her totally annoying on People’s Couch, and a little annoying last season, but pretty ok this season.

• Like 2

I've liked Tommy overall, and bless him for loving MJ and tolerating Vida, but I thought saying "abso-fuckin'-lutely" during his vows was totally classless. Not to mention MJ being completely blitzed on something throughout the whole ceremony. I was appalled.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ivygirl said:

Kind of warming up to her. I found her totally annoying on People’s Couch, and a little annoying last season, but pretty ok this season.

OMG how have I not realized that was her until just now? I kept thinking I'd seen her on another show but couldn't place her.

• Like 3