ElectricBoogaloo

S03.E05: Toby

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, ams1001 said:

Pearsons. And apparently anyone who joins, or may join, the family.

Teen Randall is adorable when he smiles. 

Teen Randall also does a laugh that sounds exactly like adult Randall. I'm sure they intentionally worked on that but well done.

I do hope Randall drops his campaign. Even if you can legally run while not living there, it's a bad idea. I would not vote for you, Randall, unless I had serious issues with the current guy.

• Like 4

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:33 PM, Neurochick said:

Yes, that cashier, what a bitch.

Strange that Kevin didn’t know about the pillowcase, his brother is black, as is his sister in law.   I was waiting for him to tell Zoe that he had it delivered because he knew why she needed it.

I don’t get why folks are upset with Zoe and the army buddy’s wife.  I thought their conversation was very real.  Some white folks don’t get it.

I assumed Kevin didn't know about the pillowcase because his experience with bedroom stuff is with Randall, a guy. I doubt he's spent time in a room where Beth is sleeping. I may be wrong (white person here; just learned about the pillowcase thing from this episode), but it seems like it is more likely an issue for women (with longer hair) than men (Randall's hair is normally pretty short).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I must be an outlier, but I don't mind when people talk to me on a plane. I don't usually initiate conversations beyond a friendly greeting, but if my seat mate wants to talk, I engage. I'll always have the opportunity to read the book I'd been planning to read some other time, but I will likely never meet that person again. Listening to someone talk about their life is kind of like reading a book of which there's only one copy. :)

I agree with you. We are two peas in a pod. 

1 hour ago, topanga said:

I really admire you, chocolatine. And don’t ever change. But everything you love about interacting with strangers makes me die inside a little. LOL.  

Ha!!! Awww. 

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:51 AM, sigmaforce86 said:

The racism in the store is one thing; Zoe being upset about the pillowcase was a little much though.  I get that many black men automatically knew what she meant but I'd suspect that many wouldn't.  I don't think that one comes down to racism as much as it comes down to men not knowing or not wanting to know all the things ladies do as a "beauty routine".  It's like anything else, some know all about it, some know a few things and some are totally in the dark.  I'm the same way about guys even those who do the bare minimum; I have no idea about aftershave vs cologne and apparently there are conditioners you can use between the shaving and the aftershave splashy stuff and the nose hair thing and to be honest I don't want to know.  And I can't tie a tie, I guess some ladies can but why is it every single guy on TV who says to his Mom/Girlfriend/Wife  "Can you help me with this" has a lady that can automatically step up and do the tie for them?  Just once I'd sort of like to see the lady turn and say "Nope, I have no idea how you do up those things".  Anyway not catching rudeness in the store doesn't seem like it should be equal to not knowing that silk is for her hair, I was sort of picturing that scene in Steel Magnolias where Dolly Parton's husband was playing with the wax and finally asked "What the hell is this for?"    The basics of mascara, lipstick, hairspray they get, the details not so much.

I thought he died too; wonder why that is?  And yes he does have the bad guy role down; before this aired I caught him on a Dr Quinn repeat where he played an Army Major who was (surprise) a jerk.   

Show always gets me with the sad moments but they got me with the funny this time, I had to pause because I was laughing so hard at the frozen lemonade conversation I couldn't hear what they said next.  

I so agree with this analogy--and I just recently kind of learned to tie a tie because my son had me google it and he worked it out. Previously, I would say, go see your Nana--and to my surprise she would say "go see your Papa"--I always assumed my mom knew all things like this but turns out my dad's been doing his own tie all along.

I don't really blame Kevin for not noticing the racism in the store. He was looking down--so he heard some rudeness from the clerk--but that itself is not entirely unusual--it was her whole delivery that was the tip off of "not just lazy clerk who doesn't want to mess with the bathroom; it's racism"

• Like 3

(I’m late as I was watching Halloween things these last two weeks). 

I can see Miguel and Rebecca having a moment in the near future (not like tomorrow but a year or so) and it freaking Rebecca out, Miguel getting a job out of state and then getting back in touch in 2008 after Tess is born. Miguel is a good guy, I always liked him.

Kate has a pleasant voice but that’s it- pleasant.

Randall’s date’s prom dress was very on trend for 1998, but a red head would’ve worn a green dress (just kidding she can wear whatever color she likes). Poor teen Randall- he didn’t go to prom?!! Kevin left him to hang out in a fast food joint?!

Damn Kevin Hartley and Sterling K Brown are so handsome. 

I thought the older lady gave Zoe a nice bit of advice. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 8:59 PM, SuzyLee said:

Miguel, please stop trying to make me like you with your handyman services for Rebecca and your childhood stories about Ricky Ricardo.  Just stop.  It ain’t gonna happen.

Why is there so much hate for Miguel?

• Like 4

On 11/10/2018 at 10:16 PM, MaryPatShelby said:

Why is there so much hate for Miguel?

No idea. I always liked Miguel. While I understand why Randal wasn’t in the mood to hear his speech, he did try to offer him words of comfort. Unlike his BROTHER Kevin, who left him alone and got drunk in the limo, ruining Sophie’s prom to boot. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 10:03 PM, ErinV said:

Oh shut UP Kate.  Your singing telegram client does not need to hear about your life of problems.  Seriously.  Your dad died, and you had a miscarriage.  Nothing thousands of people haven’t gone through also.  Oh and you have a supportive family and husband.  Please cut it out!

Seriously. I've gone through both of those things. But I'm not going to give y'all a speech about them.

On 10/26/2018 at 11:01 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

Beth's family is not from the US, which means Zoe's family isn't either unless it's only one of Beth's parents and Zoe is on the other side of her family.

On 10/27/2018 at 4:56 AM, Katy M said:

Wait, what?  where is Beth from?  I totally missed that she wasn't born in this country.  Or was it her parents?  Either way, I missed it.

On 10/27/2018 at 5:36 AM, love2lovebadtv said:

Her parents are from the Caribbean. 

I don't know how accurate this is since anyone can edit a wiki, but according to this, Beth's mother is African-American and her father is Jamaican-American so they may have based Beth's background on Susan Kelechi Watson's (her mother is of Nigerian descent but born in Jamaica and her father was also born in Jamaica) . In this interview, Susan says:

"They don't mind feedback," Watson said of the writers' room. "They'll come in and check with me about certain things about my culture because Beth is Jamaican and I'm Jamaican-American. They ask questions. They're a curious group." Even costume designer Hala Bahmet is collaborating with Watson, pulling unique African prints for Beth's wardrobe that will showcase her artistic side.

9 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't know how accurate this is since anyone can edit a wiki, but according to this, Beth's mother is African-American and her father is Jamaican-American so they may have based Beth's background on Susan Kelechi Watson's (her mother is of Nigerian descent but born in Jamaica and her father was also born in Jamaica) . In this interview, Susan says:

I didn't know the actor's background, but I remembered the character Beth talking about her Caribbean background in a prior episode. 

On 10/29/2018 at 2:27 PM, icemiser69 said:

I am hoping that the medical professional puts Toby on a placebo instead of a lower dosage of his regular medication.  I tend to wonder how much of what is going on in Toby's head is really a mental health issue, and how much of it is just the fear of going off of his medication and the pressure he felt in trying to have a baby.  Panic attacks.

Given that Toby has been exhibiting symptoms of depression and anxiety since childhood, and based on his demonstrated withdrawal symptoms, I think Toby is someone who needs the SSRI/mood stabilizer/whatever as maintenance meds. Some folks can deal with depression and anxiety through counseling and CBT, some go on meds for the short term after a situational depression, but many of us just need those medications to get our brain chemistry to the point where we can deal with life's situations without shutting down. If I'm taking my beta blocker, I can breathe my way through a major presentation and just relieved that it's over; without meds, I am more likely to have a panic attack.

I remember seeing the first episode of "Atlanta" Vanessa was shown in the first scene wearing a headscarf.  To me that was a nuance, because you rarely see black women on TV (or in the movies) wearing a headscarf to bed; another nuanced scene was from the movie "Creed" where he's taking his girlfriend's braids out.  Those scenes were shown as normal, not as anything strange or exotic.

I didn't realize how much I have absorbed in recent years about hair care until a couple of African-American colleagues were discussing things like their regular budgeting for a weekly hair-wash and style, or their refusal to get in the pool for fear of ruining the look, and I made reference to the satin cap or scarf for sleeping. One of my fellow "so-white-we-are-translucent" colleagues exclaimed 'how do you KNOW these things?" and I had to think about how I'd figured it out- the answer is Beth Pearson and many of the Shondaland ladies.

I don't know why Kate didn't notice Toby's missing pill bottle from the medicine cabinet.  If I had a loved one on antidepressants or anti-anxiety meds or any other medication for that matter, I would certainly notice if the bottle was missing from the front of the cabinet.

If Toby has been consistently taking medication since before sharing a place with Kate, I could see her totally not paying attention to the bottles. I doubt my husband would have a clue if my pills were changed or gone, since he doesn't have to oversee my medication compliance. The bottles have been in the same place on the kitchen counter for years, but he wouldn't be able to articulate what is there and how many bottles there are.

• Like 3

On 31/10/2018 at 1:29 PM, Kroliosis said:

I think I am the only one that took "it sounds exhausting" as a sarcastic eye roll worthy comment.  Here is a 60/70 year old woman who lived through the civil rights movement, possibly segregation and is the wife of a Vietnam Vet with one foot!  That woman has seen some shit and had a relationship tested!

I took it the same way, but I realized this show's writers may not have intended it like that.  They are a little more on the nose with their depictions of everything. Subtlety is seldom a part of this show.

This was the first Season 3 episode I enjoyed. There were flaws, but I liked some of what I saw. I really liked Beth getting emotional in her interview (happened to me once), but her leaving the interview was over the top. This is another example of the show hitting us over the head with something where subtlety would be more welcome. Have her voice change, show her getting emotional, but let her complete the interview like the strong character she is.

• Like 3

On 10/24/2018 at 12:12 AM, NUguy514 said:

Ugh, Kate...

giphy.gif

Seriously, I can't with her anymore.  Take your self-aggrandizing, sad-sack bullshit and shove it.  No one asked for or cares about it.

ETA: Oh, and I totally got the conversation between Zoe and Charlie Robinson's wife.  As a gay man, I end up explaining many of the same things again and again to my straight friends and family members.  It really does get exhausting.

Haha I just tried to like this post again

• Like 1