Jump to content
OnceSane

S27.E06: Week 4: Trios Night

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, rootsonrootsonroot said:

Joe is a terrible dancer, but the vitriol about his personality is just... unnecessary. He hasn't really done much other than be a nice, genuine dude, who just straight up CANNOT DANCE. The hatred for him is insane. He's trying, don't blame him, blame the people voting for him.

Is he? I feel like he's such a mismatch for this show and he's just kinda... there for the pay cheque. Bobby seems like he's trying to me. He has a spark. He's 100% into the process, even if he... sucks. But Joe is just doin' what he has to and absolutely nothing more.

YMMV. 

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Emily-D said:

One thing I forgot to say, let’s not bring race into the debate over Tinashe’s elimination. It has absolutely nothing to do with it. Her fans aren’t the type of fans to vote on a show like this while fans of Bobby’s and Joe’s are. Simple as that really.

I'm sorry but no. Watching black women be the shocking boot season after season tells me that race has something to do with this. I'm not saying its everyone in the audience, but "absolutely nothing" is also wrong. There is a portion of the audience who are racist and sexist and will not support a capable black woman. And not everyone in that group would admit it because they don't recognize their own implicit biases. And when you're a contestant who can't ever win over a portion of the audience because of what you look like rather than who you are or what you do, then you're hobbled no matter what.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Jenna & Grocery Joe: I'm choosing to believe Jenna purposely choreographed this abomination to try and sacrifice Joe into the dancing ether. And in all it's train-wreck glory....it still wasn't enough to get him booted. Sigh.

I think Jenna is as perplexed as Joe is that he's still around and not in jeopardy. I kind of want Jenna to have one of their next dances be them just sitting on the ground. That's it, just sitting and they'd STILL be safe.

2 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Bobby Sharna, Yay for Lindsey Stirling!!!!! Honestly, I'm going to give Bobby a tiny bit of a pass because this would've been my 12 year old dance fantasy come to life. I loved Hammertime so much as a kid. But yes, there was all of about 12 seconds of cha cha content, and it wasn't great. I'm still not totally convinced that the semis or even the finals won't include Bobby and Joe (gulp) both :-(

 

Bobby and Joe both have ENORMOUS fanbases. They'll both be in top four, I'm pretty sure. I think Milo can win, but you bet Bobby and/or Joe will be in F3. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

It won’t be the last “shocking elimination” either because the girls simply don’t get the votes anymore on this show compared to the men especially when the throw in the huge fanbases of Joe and Bobby. It’s only a matter of time before Alexis follows her out the door for the same reason.

So many people are using these eliminations to push a certain agenda, but maybe, just maybe, it's the fact that right now the female pros are about a thousand times stronger than the male pros? 

Seriously, other than Val and to a lesser extent Artem, this is the weakest lineup of male pros the show has ever had. Exactly the opposite of the old days when you had Cheryl and Karina as the only really strong female pros in a pool of very strong male pros in Derek, Mark, Maks, Tony and Louis. I remember years ago when people used to go on and on about what a bad dancer Kym was. I always loved Kym and didn't think she was bad, but no way she could hold a candle to Cheryl and Karina or any of the guys. Same goes for Edyta and Anna, both of whom I also loved.

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post

ok. I am going to admit this and I am ready to take my punishment. I am part of Bachelor Nation. I voted for Grocery Store Joe because I just love this guy. However, that being said, I will no longer vote for him. It is time for him to go home. Also, on a completelt different note, I was surprised to see Tyler and Angela from BB20 in the audience tonight and have the camera focus in on them twice.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Happy Belly said:

ok. I am going to admit this and I am ready to take my punishment. I am part of Bachelor Nation. I voted for Grocery Store Joe because I just love this guy. However, that being said, I will no longer vote for him. It is time for him to go home. Also, on a completelt different note, I was surprised to see Tyler and Angela from BB20 in the audience tonight and have the camera focus in on them twice.

I didn't even see them! It's only been a little over a month since the finale and I've already forgotten all those fools.

5 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Seriously, other than Val and to a lesser extent Artem, this is the weakest lineup of male pros the show has ever had. Exactly the opposite of the old days when you had Cheryl and Karina as the only really strong female pros in a pool of very strong male pros in Derek, Mark, Maks, Tony and Louis. I remember years ago when people used to go on and on about what a bad dancer Kym was. I always loved Kym and didn't think she was bad, but no way she could hold a candle to Cheryl and Karina or any of the guys. Same goes for Edyta and Anna, both of whom I also loved.

I miss Edyta. Edyta's greatest strength wasn't in her choreography or her dancing. It was seeing her move across that floor wearing a piece of dental floss and two sequins and still not flash her goodies. I'm still not sure how she did it.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

The big sin GSJ is committing is not being sexy! He's coming off as a flat-footed, stiff-hipped clod! And poor Jordan---that snafu with his shirt crushed his sexy, too! I wonder,  though,  if what Joe's problem is isn't simply a fear of letting loose. 

Man, I could watch another entire season of Ryker!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

So many people are using these eliminations to push a certain agenda, but maybe, just maybe, it's the fact that right now the female pros are about a thousand times stronger than the male pros? 

Seriously, other than Val and to a lesser extent Artem, this is the weakest lineup of male pros the show has ever had. Exactly the opposite of the old days when you had Cheryl and Karina as the only really strong female pros in a pool of very strong male pros in Derek, Mark, Maks, Tony and Louis. I remember years ago when people used to go on and on about what a bad dancer Kym was. I always loved Kym and didn't think she was bad, but no way she could hold a candle to Cheryl and Karina or any of the guys. Same goes for Edyta and Anna, both of whom I also loved.

Oh no doubt the female pros are well ahead of the male pros at present. DWTS only gave themselves to blame for that by continuing to stick with complete deadwood such as Gleb for example. And yes Derek can definitely get a partner through on fanbase. I never believed that Mark could get a partner through on fanbase as he had many shocking elims. But he was fantastic at showing off his celebs with his creativity which was why he always did so well to his credit. I personally never rated Louis that highly, Tony did a good job with the rubbish hands he normally got dealt with and fair play to him the moment he got a proper chance, he won. I’m hoping that the same will happen to Artem if DWTS wakes up and gives him a capable dancer.

But you can not deny the vast majority of DWTS viewers are middle or older aged females who are far more inclined to vote for a good looking male. Your average 60 year old housewife is hardly going to be to pains to pick up the phone and vote for someone like Tinashe or Alexis.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I'm sorry but no. Watching black women be the shocking boot season after season tells me that race has something to do with this. I'm not saying its everyone in the audience, but "absolutely nothing" is also wrong. There is a portion of the audience who are racist and sexist and will not support a capable black woman. And not everyone in that group would admit it because they don't recognize their own implicit biases. And when you're a contestant who can't ever win over a portion of the audience because of what you look like rather than who you are or what you do, then you're hobbled no matter what.

I don't think all of the variance is explained by race, I think race only explains some of the variance. If it were just all about race, then all of the black men would be in jeopardy or close to it. As I have posted on another thread, the majority of male winners have been black. Plus, it has been speculated that DeMarcus has a lot of votes and that the judges are low-balling him. If it were all about race, he'd be near the bottom as well. I do think there is case for racism combined with sexism, as black women have been robbed much more than black men.

7 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

So many people are using these eliminations to push a certain agenda, but maybe, just maybe, it's the fact that right now the female pros are about a thousand times stronger than the male pros? 

Seriously, other than Val and to a lesser extent Artem, this is the weakest lineup of male pros the show has ever had. Exactly the opposite of the old days when you had Cheryl and Karina as the only really strong female pros in a pool of very strong male pros in Derek, Mark, Maks, Tony and Louis. I remember years ago when people used to go on and on about what a bad dancer Kym was. I always loved Kym and didn't think she was bad, but no way she could hold a candle to Cheryl and Karina or any of the guys. Same goes for Edyta and Anna, both of whom I also loved.

That's another good point. Val is the only male pro who has won, whereas nearly every female pro has won except for Sharna. I do think Sasha is one of the stronger pros, stronger than Gleb, Keo, or Alan. And Brandon has potential to be fantastic, but he is still pretty green.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I'm sorry but no. Watching black women be the shocking boot season after season tells me that race has something to do with this. I'm not saying its everyone in the audience, but "absolutely nothing" is also wrong. There is a portion of the audience who are racist and sexist and will not support a capable black woman. And not everyone in that group would admit it because they don't recognize their own implicit biases. And when you're a contestant who can't ever win over a portion of the audience because of what you look like rather than who you are or what you do, then you're hobbled no matter what.

A fair response. I personally don’t believe it comes into voting but I can understand if you do. It didn’t stop Amber Riley winning though. And I can’t remember the last time a black female was a shocking boot on the show? I could maybe give you Simone Biles getting booted in the semis over David Ross but really that was down to Cubs fans and not her race. Normani can’t be used as an example because she was a finalist.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Emily-D said:

A fair response. I personally don’t believe it comes into voting but I can understand if you do. It didn’t stop Amber Riley winning though. And I can’t remember the last time a black female was a shocking boot on the show? I could maybe give you Simone Biles getting booted in the semis over David Ross but really that was down to Cubs fans and not her race. Normani can’t be used as an example because she was a finalist.

Brandy was a much better dancer than Bristol Palin, yet Bristol made the finals while Brandy finished in 4th place.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Seriously, other than Val and to a lesser extent Artem, this is the weakest lineup of male pros the show has ever had.

And even Val got booted early!

Ita with your whole post but I'm singling this out because so much is being said about race and Brandon being unknown. Last week a white couple, part being a very popular male pro went home in only the 2nd week. So what's the reason for that?!

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

My mom and I watch DWTS..she's 75 and I am 47....we stopped voting ages ago because the people we voted for rarely were saved...I will say this..yes, we tend to favor more males than females but there have been several women contestants we DID root for in the past..including that one girl from GLEE(whose name completely escapes me)..We also voted other women as well...some of the more ringer dancers we shied away from as it was about who had zilch experience and could put forth an effort to win.

For the record, I was shocked Tinashe was booted...I would have been fine with her winning(although she's not favorite). My mom was furious that Joe was still there..as am I...I don't think broad generalizations fix the problem with this show. I still love it for it's cheesiness but the fact that Joe still is there cuts down on the fun. I'd love to see Mary Lou Retton go far but fear she is done soon...

I will say that I recently watched a Bill Engvall stand up where he talked about how sad he was each week that he was still there while others got sent packing....I will admit I voted for him a lot at that point..I just stopped voting altogether and watch now for the cheesiness.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I don’t know the rules of this show, but surely Joe can offer to leave and allow someone else to come back?  He’s awful, he’s putting in little effort, and it’s embarrassing for everyone to watch.   I just want Erin to smack him when he gives his one to two word answers.  How was this guy ever a stock trader?  He’s so low energy and so low effort.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I have never laughed so hard as I did at everything GSJ-related this week. The rehearsal footage, him saying he was hoping Barack Obama would be his trio addition, the train wreck dance, even the judges comments. I usually FF through Bruno's comments, but his "I didn't know if that was Magic Mike, Tragic Mike or Mike and the Mechanics" killed me. Now GSJ can GO HOME.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

I don’t know the rules of this show, but surely Joe can offer to leave and allow someone else to come back?  He’s awful, he’s putting in little effort, and it’s embarrassing for everyone to watch.   I just want Erin to smack him when he gives his one to two word answers.  How was this guy ever a stock trader?  He’s so low energy and so low effort.  

Maybe he's better when cameras aren't on him? How he got onto reality TV is beyond me, but people seem to like him. I don't personally get it, but Joe seems like a decent guy who isn't made to be on TV. I guess people liked Joe for being a normal guy when he was on The Bachelorette? I think? I can see it, since it doesn't translate onscreen. 

Meanwhile, Bobby's whining and pouting about his low scores on social media and I'm rather turned off by Bobby's "woe is me, I'm getting SHAFTED" trials and tribulations story. I actually didn't like his dance tonight at all. Yeah, it was good as a Hammertime dance, but not as a cha-cha. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Brandy was a much better dancer than Bristol Palin, yet Bristol made the finals while Brandy finished in 4th place.

This. Also, Christina Milian went home super early despite her talent. I'm not going to argue that Lil' Kim should have won but she should have outlasted Ty Murray. Toni Braxton went home before Cloris Leachman. Monique Coleman deserved a spot in the finale on her season. Then there are all the black women who make the finals but fail to get a win like Normani, Zendaya, Mya, Mel B and Laila Ali. And don't even get me started on how the show edited Tamar Braxton. Because she withdrew we can't know what the voters would have done but those packages were vile and designed to get people calling her cocky and arrogant. I struggle to think of any contestant who consistently had such negative packages. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

This is getting to be ridiculous. My eyes have finally adjusted correctly in my head after seeing that joke of a dance. Joe is beyond horrible in his dancing. He doesn't care and neither does Jenna. I really think out of all the horrible non-dancers DWTS has had, Joe is the worst. Tinashe deserves to be competing on DWTS, Joe does not deserve to be there. He hit his peak in week 1.  Joe needs to be eliminated next week for sure. In fact, he doesn't even need to dance, if you can call it that. Just eliminate the guy. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Alan had an advantage with Maddie in the trio because he didn’t have to teach her anything.  Jenna had to teach 2 plodding bro cows how to step and strip poorly.  

I actually thought Jordan would be a humorous twist....they are pandering to their fan base so why not right?  The actual product was shockingly bad.  Coupled with Jenna in tiny shorts doing splits where her crotch was in the air.  Just so tacky from start to finish.

i haven’t been this annoyed since I found out Hamilton cheated on his wife.  LOL  (A.Ham that was for you)  and when it takes Eliza 12 minutes to burn those letters....girl just toss em in and let’s get on witdis 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Toonces464 said:

One of my favorite dances ever! I watched it during the commercial break after they danced tonight!

My favorite trio remains the Alfonso/Witney/Lindsey Paso.

One of my favorite trios was Sharna/James/Jenna....made sense as a trio, music was a great choice, and they all danced so well.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I actually thought Jordan would be a humorous twist.

My fear as that they're grooming Jordan for a future DWTS season. Please make it stop.

Joe is going to become the Sanjaya of DWTS. 

I really liked Brandon and am sorry he's gone so early. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Maybe he's better when cameras aren't on him? How he got onto reality TV is beyond me, but people seem to like him. I don't personally get it, but Joe seems like a decent guy who isn't made to be on TV. I guess people liked Joe for being a normal guy when he was on The Bachelorette? I think? I can see it, since it doesn't translate onscreen. 

Meanwhile, Bobby's whining and pouting about his low scores on social media and I'm rather turned off by Bobby's "woe is me, I'm getting SHAFTED" trials and tribulations story. I actually didn't like his dance tonight at all. Yeah, it was good as a Hammertime dance, but not as a cha-cha. 

I can answer that Joe wasn’t really shown on the Bachlorette because he was eliminated.  People liked his face, job and aw shucks attitude for the 42 seconds he was on screen and there were grassroots twitter efforts to revive him.  That was almost literal because they gave him a slot on BIP and he was so dull he needed reviving.

in that sense I completely agree with you.  He’s just an ordinary guy with no obvious angle or interests....what he is doing on reality TV is a mystery.  I did throw a little side eye when he copped to not having a serious relationship for more than a few months.  At his age that seems odd but at least he’s aware of it.  I wonder if this is more Kendall driven?  Kendall is definitely a famewhore trying to get spotted.  The second Joe is done with his 15 minutes of fame she’s gonna dump him.

I was unaware of Bobby’s whining since I don’t follow him on social media.  I’ve enjoyed his zest for the show and the effort.  If he’s whiny and begging then it’s a turn off.  He definitely didn’t do a lot of cha cha tonight.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

I don’t know the rules of this show, but surely Joe can offer to leave and allow someone else to come back? 

Nope.  It doesn't work that way.  Once someone's been eliminated, that's it.  Joe CAN withdraw at any time, but that won't bring Tinashe back.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, SHD said:

Joe is going to become the Sanjaya of DWTS. 

Haaaaaaa :D. Perfect. 

I saw somebody in the comment section over at TV Line mention that they voted for Joe as a means of protesting the people who come in with dance experience, so there's yet another reason to throw into the "Why is Joe still here?" pile. I've personally never cared whether the contestants had dance experience or not, but even if I did, I would think there's better ways to make that point. But I do know that's been a debate among some out there, so...*Shrugs*

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SHD said:

I have never laughed so hard as I did at everything GSJ-related this week. The rehearsal footage, him saying he was hoping Barack Obama would be his trio addition, the train wreck dance, even the judges comments. 

That rehearsal footage was honestly television gold. The Barack Obama part especially, and him talking about how he picked the song. He can't dance but man do I love him.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Meanwhile, Bobby's whining and pouting about his low scores on social media and I'm rather turned off by Bobby's "woe is me, I'm getting SHAFTED" trials and tribulations story. I actually didn't like his dance tonight at all. Yeah, it was good as a Hammertime dance, but not as a cha-cha. 

I didn't really take this as whining.  To me it seemed more like he didn't do as well as he'd hoped so he really needs the votes.   I'd agree that he didn't do all that great so the only way to survive is to ask for votes.   YMMV.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I believe that like a number of other superior female contestants, Teneshe fell victim to the "well she's too good and it's unfair to others" syndrome. Sabrina  Bryan was a primary example this but there have been others. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I'm disgusted. At this rate it'll be an all male top 6 and then they will be forced to get eliminated.

I would lowkey love if Evanna somehow snatched a win in this god awful female hating season. None of the men have been put in jeopardy either, minus John the first week.

I'm prepared for Alexis probably next week followed by Mary Lou and then Evanna. It's sucky how the women celebs get treated by the show and audience. If I was a female celeb approached to do the show, I'd say "hell no" Why would I sign up for a show knowing i have zero chance to win or even make the finals in DWTS' current state.

It's a shell of it's former self with no balance to help the women who already come in with hate from the voters starting off.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Dancelove said:

Race has everything to do with it. Just as it had everything to do with SYTYCD eliminations. 

Race has nothing to do with being eliminated, esp. on SYTYCD. Just ask Fikshun & Twitch!

4 hours ago, Callaphera said:

Is he? I feel like he's such a mismatch for this show and he's just kinda... there for the pay cheque. Bobby seems like he's trying to me. He has a spark. He's 100% into the process, even if he... sucks. But Joe is just doin' what he has to and absolutely nothing more.

The same could be said for Cloris Leachman who was barely coherent, and Master P who even refused to wear dancing shoes.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, vibeology said:

This. Also, Christina Milian went home super early despite her talent. I'm not going to argue that Lil' Kim should have won but she should have outlasted Ty Murray. Toni Braxton went home before Cloris Leachman. Monique Coleman deserved a spot in the finale on her season. Then there are all the black women who make the finals but fail to get a win like Normani, Zendaya, Mya, Mel B and Laila Ali. And don't even get me started on how the show edited Tamar Braxton. Because she withdrew we can't know what the voters would have done but those packages were vile and designed to get people calling her cocky and arrogant. I struggle to think of any contestant who consistently had such negative packages. 

What about Nicole Sherzinger? Didn't she win?!?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, MsTree said:

What about Nicole Sherzinger? Didn't she win?!?

I'm still shocked she did, but she had Derek and I'm starting to think Mark and Derek were the keys to women winning or making the finals, Val to a lesser extent.

I wonder how Tinashe would've fared with a more seasoned pro even Alan or Val.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

I wonder how Tinashe would've fared with a more seasoned pro even Alan or Val.

I think she might've lasted a couple more weeks but she wouldn't have made the finals. 

I felt like one of the young good dancers would be voted off.  I was just hoping against hope that it wouldn't be Tinashe.  But she was doomed.  There were too many things for the dwts-supporter to use to not vote for her; including the new pro who is also black.  The main thing for a young, experienced, black female is to have a decent fanbase before entering because it's tough for her to garner support once she's on the show.  In that way, they MAY make the finals.  DWTS voters don't give the black female any slack.  The personality/attitude is warped/trashed.  They get punished for their dancing ability when other gender/races are accepted for theirs.  They nitpick the chemistry/relationship with their pro, etc.  I don't think the voters are racist.  They just prefer supporting people they wouldn't mind having in their circle. 

I know Amber won but she had the Glee-fame and Derek.  She also fit the stereotype that people like to use for black women.  She also fit the chubby friend role. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

How was Tinashe "trashed"?  I for one had never heard of her (or Bobby Bones,  or Milo,  or...)  before DWTS. I suspect  I wasn't alone. 

Of the 26 winners,  11 have been athletes (4 NFL players , 6 Olympians,  and one race-car driver). Maybe "America" favors a group other than gender or race. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Callaphera said:

I miss Edyta. Edyta's greatest strength wasn't in her choreography or her dancing. It was seeing her move across that floor wearing a piece of dental floss and two sequins and still not flash her goodies. I'm still not sure how she did it.

I miss her. But you have to give her credit for one time actually wearing a long piece of toilet paper as a dress..!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MsTree said:

What about Nicole Sherzinger? Didn't she win?!?

Nicole Scherzinger isn't a black woman. I'm taking specifically about misogynoir and the way that impacts the show both through the show's choices in presenting black women and the voting audience and their historical lack of support for black women. Talking about other women (including women of colour like Nicole) or black men misses the mark because this show specifically has a problem with how they present black women and their is a portion of the audience who in turn will not vote for black women, whether they'll acknowledge the reason or not.

To start, how many young, fit, black women have come into this show without dance experience? Most are musicians/performers like Tinashe (and Normani, Mya, Brandy, both Braxtons) who come into the show and have to immediately deal with ringer concerns. Where are the black actresses? Almost every young black woman who has competed on this show has been a musician with only a few exceptions. 

How often do these women get labeled as arrogant? The show went out of its way with Tamar to make her look bad but it loves to shame black women in general for being confident.

How about the fact that the lighting on this show is atrocious and often leaves black faces in shadow. This obviously effects both black women and men, but women are the ones who gets the no connection criticism and not being about to see facial expressions only makes that worse. 

In four weeks, Tinahse had an Argentine Tango performed in the dark and a rumba shot mostly from above. How is an audience supposed to connect with a dancer, especially one they're not predisposed to like, if they can't see her face? Tinashe got called out for too much hip hop and for all of her dances looking the same, despite having real content done well. The show has a problem with black women and if they fixed their shit, we could see how that impacts the voting audience. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, vibeology said:

I'm sorry but no. Watching black women be the shocking boot season after season tells me that race has something to do with this. I'm not saying its everyone in the audience, but "absolutely nothing" is also wrong. There is a portion of the audience who are racist and sexist and will not support a capable black woman. And not everyone in that group would admit it because they don't recognize their own implicit biases. And when you're a contestant who can't ever win over a portion of the audience because of what you look like rather than who you are or what you do, then you're hobbled no matter what.

Didn't Amber Riley win a season ?

sometimes it's just about the fan base they bring in or don't. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, vibeology said:

How about the fact that the lighting on this show is atrocious and often leaves black faces in shadow. This obviously effects both black women and men, but women are the ones who gets the no connection criticism and not being about to see facial expressions only makes that worse. 

In four weeks, Tinahse had an Argentine Tango performed in the dark and a rumba shot mostly from above. How is an audience supposed to connect with a dancer, especially one they're not predisposed to like, if they can't see her face? Tinashe got called out for too much hip hop and for all of her dances looking the same, despite having real content done well. The show has a problem with black women and if they fixed their shit, we could see how that impacts the voting audience. 

Last night was the first time I actually felt I could really SEE Tinashe's dance.  Maybe in the first show but I'm always lost in the large group the first show and only get real impressions of people I've heard of then.  I could see her fine in the practice sessions.  Is Brandon responsible for the settings, lighting?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Nicole Scherzinger isn't a black woman. I'm taking specifically about misogynoir and the way that impacts the show both through the show's choices in presenting black women and the voting audience and their historical lack of support for black women. Talking about other women (including women of colour like Nicole) or black men misses the mark because this show specifically has a problem with how they present black women and their is a portion of the audience who in turn will not vote for black women, whether they'll acknowledge the reason or not.

To start, how many young, fit, black women have come into this show without dance experience? Most are musicians/performers like Tinashe (and Normani, Mya, Brandy, both Braxtons) who come into the show and have to immediately deal with ringer concerns. Where are the black actresses? Almost every young black woman who has competed on this show has been a musician with only a few exceptions. 

How often do these women get labeled as arrogant? The show went out of its way with Tamar to make her look bad but it loves to shame black women in general for being confident.

How about the fact that the lighting on this show is atrocious and often leaves black faces in shadow. This obviously effects both black women and men, but women are the ones who gets the no connection criticism and not being about to see facial expressions only makes that worse. 

In four weeks, Tinahse had an Argentine Tango performed in the dark and a rumba shot mostly from above. How is an audience supposed to connect with a dancer, especially one they're not predisposed to like, if they can't see her face? Tinashe got called out for too much hip hop and for all of her dances looking the same, despite having real content done well. The show has a problem with black women and if they fixed their shit, we could see how that impacts the voting audience. 

They use ridiculous lighting on ALL the contestants . I really don't think everything that goes on in life has to do with race . It's a fun , feel good show . People vote how they choose to vote . Plenty of black people have won or come close . The reason joe is getting votes is because dwts and the bachelor go hand in hand . Prior fan base is very important with this show and I had no idea who tinashe was and I know a lot of people didn't . 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

There is a huge difference between the core audience of the show and the ones who tune in for a particular season because they like a particular contestant. The core audience has ALWAYS driven the winner and, as someone pointed out above, this demographic seems to like a certain type of contestant. It has nothing to do with skin color or gender or even dance talent. It's personality and the journey. And, who the pro is.

During Week 1 I said that I though the pros would drive this season more than anything and I really think that's where the show is now. Especially with this current group of pros, most of whom have huge social media fan bases that were cultivated over years of whining on Twitter about how bad they wanted to become a pro and all the interacting they did with the fans to try to make that happen. Those are the core viewers who do the majority of voting.

I've often wondered if Nicole Sherzinger would've won if she'd been on a later season. Obviously she was head and shoulders above everyone else in dance talent but that's come to mean less and less over the years. Plus she was up against an Olympian just off Gold and a couple who were being shipped to high heaven who had a hugely compelling back story. Derek wasn't the powerhouse he is now (I think he'd only won once at that point). And none of that has anything to do with Nicole's skin color. It's just the way the audience rolls. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I never really got into Tinashe, and I didn't know who she was.  Sometimes that doesn't matter if they somehow spark in a way that gets me to follow them anyway, but with Tinashe that wasn't the case.  She was a beautiful dancer, but if I was a voter I probably would have voted for some of the others and put my priorities there.  (not Joe though--I agree he should go as it is at the stage where it starts to get uncomfortable having him stay when there is so much talent with the others).  

Edited by alexa
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Dancelove said:

He must be better than Tineshe, because he's a guy and white. 

Seriously, it isn't all about race.  She is virtually unknown to most viewers.  As was the lady comedian who went out first.  The show is set up for fans to vote for their favorites, not necessarily the greatest dancers.    I have no problem with Joe staying as long as fans want him to.   He's train-wrecky entertainment.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

Seriously, it isn't all about race.  She is virtually unknown to most viewers.  As was the lady comedian who went out first.  The show is set up for fans to vote for their favorites, not necessarily the greatest dancers.    I have no problem with Joe staying as long as fans want him to.   He's train-wrecky entertainment.

There was a lady comedian?  LOL  

My short term memory is shot.  I agree this is just representative of the Dwts voting base.  If I cared who actually stayed I would vote.  Part of the fun for me is being left to watch whatever the voting block decides to do.  It can be painful at times but that’s the nature of this show.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Okay I'm a bit over Joe at this point. I think he is a nice guy, but he clearly can't dance. I don't even think he looks that comfortable on the show. His fans really need to put him out of his misery. Even Jenna looks ready to go lol. I think he will still survive next week but hopefully not much longer. His fans are so obsessed, I don't really get it.

I'm really surprised Tinashe went, not just because Joe is still there, but because Mary Lou, John, and Bobby are all still there. Seems crazy she left before all of them. I also was really starting to like Brandon. They need to keep him in the cast.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I’m sure Tinashe would have gone way further with Val. Not only would see have cultivated more votes from his fans, it would have given the general audience a reason to sit up and take notice of her because of her pro. He also would have probably brought out more personality from her. No offence to Brandon but it’s his first season as a pro so he has no fanbase plus he’s not the sort to pro to crack a whip and bring out a different side of his celeb like Val can.

 

In terms of other pros bar Val for Tinashe, Keo you’d imagine would be a shock elim, Gleb definitely a shock elim, Alan probably a shock elim, Sasha would have done a solid but unspectacular job like he does with pretty much all his stars. Artem would have cultivated interest from the audience as it would have been his first time with a proper ringer, but to get her to the final he’ll have had to bring out her personality.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

While watching Jenna splitting around the floor with a pained look of exasperation on her face last night, all I kept thinking of was how she reacted like George Clooney had walked into the room when Grocery Joe showed up as her partner in week 1.

Joe is terrible and being saddled with another total non dancer for a trio was not really fair BUT I am not sure why the judges were all over Jenna with those “You get the MVP “ comments last night. The point of this stupid show is for the pros to teach non dancers how to dance. Just because we now often have seasons with ringers and borderline professional dancers doesn’t change that. A good number of contestants every season are still non-dancers and even non-performers like Joe. He has not improved one iota since week one and there were parts of that dance last night where Jenna had the two guys dancing way in the background almost in the shadows while she shook her booty up front. The random girl from Harry Potter was also quite clearly not a dancer but Keo managed to teach her enough steps in a week’s time to make her passable in their trio. For goodness sake, Tristan managed to create memorable, passable dances with a woman suffering from a brain tumor. Plenty of the pros have had legitimately elderly contestants. We’ve even had othetbpoorly dancing Bachelor contestants like Chris Soules who literally had to be taught how to count the beat of the music. Derek and Sharna have had contestants with missing limbs (neither of which were dancers before this show) and they STILL managed to teach them enough to look better than Joe has all season. It is BS for the judges to say to Jenna “Well, you did the best with what you have” because she absolutely did not. Joe is young, handsome enough and in good shape. He is never going to be a good dancer but he should absolutely be better than what he is showing us every week and that is on Jenna as his pro. 

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

While watching Jenna splitting around the floor with a pained look of exasperation on her face last night, all I kept thinking of was how she reacted like George Clooney had walked into the room when Grocery Joe showed up as her partner in week 1.

Joe is terrible and being saddled with another total non dancer for a trio was not really fair BUT I am not sure why the judges were all over Jenna with those “You get the MVP “ comments last night. The point of this stupid show is for the pros to teach non dancers how to dance. Just because we now often have seasons with ringers and borderline professional dancers doesn’t change that. A good number of contestants every season are still non-dancers and even non-performers like Joe. He has not improved one iota since week one and there were parts of that dance last night where Jenna had the two guys dancing way in the background almost in the shadows while she shook her booty up front. The random girl from Harry Potter was also quite clearly not a dancer but Keo managed to teach her enough steps in a week’s time to make her passable in their trio. For goodness sake, Tristan managed to create memorable, passable dances with a woman suffering from a brain tumor. Plenty of the pros have had legitimately elderly contestants. We’ve even had othetbpoorly dancing Bachelor contestants like Chris Soules who literally had to be taught how to count the beat of the music. Derek and Sharna have had contestants with missing limbs (neither of which were dancers before this show) and they STILL managed to teach them enough to look better than Joe has all season. It is BS for the judges to say to Jenna “Well, you did the best with what you have” because she absolutely did not. Joe is young, handsome enough and in good shape. He is never going to be a good dancer but he should absolutely be better than what he is showing us every week and that is on Jenna as his pro. 

Fair point. It’s hard to be sympathetic for Joe when a blind contestant was getting better scores and looking moderately respectable compared to that hot mess last night.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Pretending like race and gender have nothing to do with this is honestly silly at best and willfully ignorant at worst. There are a ton of reasons why Tinashe (and others) went, but the fact that she's a black female is definitely one of them. Come on now!

Sorry, but my fave part of this was Joe's dance. I'm here for the comedy! Don't worry though, I don't vote lol.

I felt so much irrational anger when Angela and Tyler from BB were shown in the audience. I prefer to never see BB contestants again once BB is over, dammit!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×