Jump to content
ElectricBoogaloo

S15.E05: Everyday Angel

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, BaseOps said:

I don't see how Meredith did anything wrong to Amelia here? For one thing, she's known Owen a lot longer than she's known Amelia - of course she'd want Teddy to tell him the truth. Owen has wanted a child forever. Second, she literally laid it out quite clearly: it would be awful for the child to grow up and try to seek out his or her father only to discover that Teddy had kept them apart all because she wanted to avoid an awkward convo.

 

11 hours ago, statsgirl said:

The timing, the timing. The longer Teddy holds off on telling Owen, the more solid Owen's bond with Amelia seems to be getting. Having Teddy tell Owen now lessens the chance that he will choose Amelia and maybe the created family he has with  Leo and Betty.

I agree. Meredith did it in Amelia's best interest. Even at the beginning of their conversation Meredith told Teddy that Owen is her friend and Amelia is her sister and Teddy replied "Oh, so it's not about me." She told Teddy what she thinks about it and gave her tips based on her own experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I thought the story about the young woman with the lunchbox was very contrived.  As soon as she said "lunchbox," I knew the problem would be connected with that somehow.  But I have to admit I was thinking more along the lines of Dr. House figuring out a professor kept getting sick because his ceramic coffee mug contained lead. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I was underwhelmed by this episode.  It felt like a bridge/gateway to the winter finale, in that there was much progression but nothing engaged me mentally or emotionally. The high points for me were seeing Teddy in the park in the beginning  (and I’m fairly neutral on Teddy) and Betty getting in the car with Amelia and Owen. (I do like Peyton.). It wasnt a bad episode; just expository and vanilla imo.

One thing that struck me is that while I never believed in the Owen /Amelia coupling through Amelia’s disappearance, I actually like their present rapport.  I can see this version of Owen and Amelia falling in love, where the original story seemed like a random coupling to keep both actors in a storyline. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Was it just me or did this feel like a never-ending episode? And I don't mean in a good way.

I didn't really mind Meredith being the one talking to Teddy, since Teddy only seems to have made a connection with Cristina (and already had one with Owen) from her time at teh hospital. And Meredith knows about/of her through Cristina and everything that she was there for while Teddy was at the hospital. And Meredith's background/upbringing made it possible for her to share some advice and experience with Teddy.

The whole Owen and Amelia stuff this episode was ridiculous.

Must be nice when you can call up your boss on your way to work to take a personal day right away. Alex should have told Owen and Amelia (I got the impression Meredith's was planned in advance due to the cookie thing) no and to get their asses in to work. Seriously, you cannot have 4 surgeons (3 of whom are heads of their respective departments and don't seem to have a second/others they're teaching their specialty) off on the same day when you only have about a dozen walking the halls of your hospital, with about 50% if not more interns/residents. Now Bailey, in her current position as researcher (I think? Or part researcher part surgeon? I can't keep track), had to postpone her work to do their job and considering she's paying Jo's fellowship personally, I'm not even sure Jo is working for the hospital and technically wouldn't have privileges. Of course Alex could fix that right away as we've seen other chiefs do in the history of the show, but still... would have been more realistic. Also, Past!Alex definitely wouldn't have been bothered with a patient in his office; he'd either be rude and get the patient out or avoid his office and be fine with it. Besides, why were 2 surgeons even needed for the most boring patient case ever? It was a diagnostic thing. They didn't even perform a surgery! There are (or should be) doctors who specialize in diagnoses and doing all the tests (who's paying for those anyway?) they allegedly performed, most of which could probably be done by medical technicians or whatever they're called. Couldn't be bothered with an actual physical exam either.

Speaking of which, must be nice for the head of "well, everything" to ditch regular responsibilities and just spend the whole day in the OR. No wonder Alex is stressed, what with having to do all of his actual work after hours. I also didn't care for Alex' grumpiness and then practically blaming the whole Paul thing on Linc. Moreover, I thought the whole backstory if it can be called that between Jo and Linc was rather lacking in, well, everything. It was boring and like pointed out in this thread, does not make sense timeline-wise. If they were so close, Linc being "like a brother" to Jo, then how come she's never mentioned him? She always gave the impression she was the sad living-in-her-car student with no friends or money. Of course, that has been retconned already by introducing Paul, so I guess why not retcon even more?

I don't really like or dislike DeLuca, he's always been too boring for me to really care. Although the girlfriend thing was unbearable. But I'm good with Webber apparently seeing potential in him (now they need to actually show him having that potential because really?) and trying to teach him and giving him more responsibility... but that was bad teaching on both of them! Also, why is DeLuca "honored" to run the ER (which seems to have been halved in size and got maybe 10% of its patients compared to April years?) when residents were left to do that all time earlier in the show? I don't particularly care for the interns and don't know why they've been given so much time.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Shellie said:

I thought the story about the young woman with the lunchbox was very contrived.  As soon as she said "lunchbox," I knew the problem would be connected with that somehow.  But I have to admit I was thinking more along the lines of Dr. House figuring out a professor kept getting sick because his ceramic coffee mug contained lead. 

A. I wanna know what kind of insurance she has, or else how is she paying for them to run tests for every horse and zebra under the sun...

B. With all her notes and binders and history she never noticed that her pain happened right after eating? And she fasted every time she went in for tests, then ate her lunch, and never had the pain before? But today she takes two bites of a sandwich and doubles over? That seems...convenient...and unlikely...

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm disappointed that Maggie isn't going to face any repercussions regarding breaking HIPAA.

Well does any doctor  face any repercussions for anything they do at this hospital? 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

So, I watched the episode again today.

Meredith herself (as opposed to the voice-over with Ellen Pompeo) seemed to be taking Amelia's side. For once, she wasn't talking trash and this time round, I understood a throwaway line better. She meant to say that she did not want to project thoughts and feelings for Amelia; ie, say what Amelia would be thinking or how she would feel. I was very surprised to hear her reference Amelia as her sister when she treated her like pure crap in the past. Maybe she had a spiritual talk with Derek or something. I don't know. Whatever, would be cool to see Ghost Derek or some form of Derek. But PD won't return. Whatever.

But anyways, the voice-over with Ellen Pompeo at the end was really what set me off. Because (despite what KV said over the summertime about there being no antagonist) it sounded like Amelia would get in the way of T/O's family. What did confuse me is how the writer for this episode completely ret-conned that never-ending scene between Teddy and Owen last season. Now, Teddy wants Owen to be involved and regrets all the "bad things" she said to him. Step up and be a woman, you did the right thing. Just because you're pregnant, doesn't mean you have to back off everything you said.

This is Teddy, though. And this is Grey's Anatomy. I shouldn't expect anything more from this soapy soap.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, JNM5505 said:

So, I watched the episode again today.

Meredith herself (as opposed to the voice-over with Ellen Pompeo) seemed to be taking Amelia's side. For once, she wasn't talking trash and this time round, I understood a throwaway line better. She meant to say that she did not want to project thoughts and feelings for Amelia; ie, say what Amelia would be thinking or how she would feel. I was very surprised to hear her reference Amelia as her sister when she treated her like pure crap in the past. Maybe she had a spiritual talk with Derek or something. I don't know. Whatever, would be cool to see Ghost Derek or some form of Derek. But PD won't return. Whatever.

But anyways, the voice-over with Ellen Pompeo at the end was really what set me off. Because (despite what KV said over the summertime about there being no antagonist) it sounded like Amelia would get in the way of T/O's family. What did confuse me is how the writer for this episode completely ret-conned that never-ending scene between Teddy and Owen last season. Now, Teddy wants Owen to be involved and regrets all the "bad things" she said to him. Step up and be a woman, you did the right thing. Just because you're pregnant, doesn't mean you have to back off everything you said.

This is Teddy, though. And this is Grey's Anatomy. I shouldn't expect anything more from this soapy soap.

Yeah. I really wish they hadn’t made teddy pregnant because because I knew that in doing so, she would be all “I regret the things I said” but she was not wrong at any point during their fight last season. I remember cheering during that fight. Because she was right. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 2018-10-26 at 9:42 AM, Ohwell said:

THIS is what really pissed me off about that scene.  I'm sick of hothead Alex who gets hotheaded based on no information.  And why was it Linc's responsibility to "save" Princess Jo anyway? 

It's not being hot headed, that is what someone with PTSD being triggered looks like. Domestic violence has always been a trigger for Alex. He has actually gotten better at dealing with it. There was a time when he would have taken a swing at Linc. You never really get over the type of violence that Alex grew up with. He talked it over with Linc at thier first opportunity and once it was settled they were good. I'm not sure what else Alex was supposed to do in that situation. Frankly I feel like complaints about Alex's temper usually say more about the privilege of those making them than about the character. It's one thing to complain the story being repetitive it's another to say a character should just "get over" one of the worst childhoods in all of Shondaland. People don't work that way and of the things I've always liked about Grey's is how relatably fucked up everyone is.

It's also worth noting that in Alex's situation the abuse ended because he stood up to his father and threw him out of the house. So I get why he thinks Linc could have helped Jo. It might even have worked if Linc had been able to act early enough in the relationship.  Abusers are bullies and sometimes if someone stands up to them they back down. Of course it could have also back fired and made Jo closer to her ex. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Efzee said:

must be nice for the head of "well, everything" to ditch regular responsibilities and just spend the whole day in the OR.

Similarly, I was thinking how it must be nice to be able to call in a personal day just so you can sit in the parking lot of a high school ALL DAY.

One thing I liked about Deluca's storyline this week is it showed that it's not just people like Cristina (who thought all of her interns were morons) who have a tendency to do all the work themselves instead of teaching their interns what to do. Now that Webber has pointed it out to him, we'll see how he does.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

It's not being hot headed, that is what someone with PTSD being triggered looks like. Domestic violence has always been a trigger for Alex. He has actually gotten better at dealing with it. There was a time when he would have taken a swing at Linc. You never really get over the type of violence that Alex grew up with. He talked it over with Linc at thier first opportunity and once it was settled they were good. I'm not sure what else Alex was supposed to do in that situation. Frankly I feel like complaints about Alex's temper usually say more about the privilege of those making them than about the character. It's one thing to complain the story being repetitive it's another to say a character should just "get over" one of the worst childhoods in all of Shondaland. People don't work that way and of the things I've always liked about Grey's is how relatably fucked up everyone is.

It's also worth noting that in Alex's situation the abuse ended because he stood up to his father and threw him out of the house. So I get why he thinks Linc could have helped Jo. It might even have worked if Linc had been able to act early enough in the relationship.  Abusers are bullies and sometimes if someone stands up to them they back down. Of course it could have also back fired and made Jo closer to her ex. 

Um, what? First of all, it is hot-headed. And I don't know if it's PTSD and/or if he's triggered by it because the only time he talks about his upbringing is sarcastic comments about the crazy things his mother said. However, if he does suffer from PTSD, then he needs to get some therapy. We've known Alex for about 15 years now and his first reaction is still the same. He needs therapy for PTSD and anger management, because he's got a lot of anger inside of him and that was proven not that long ago when he viciously attacked DeLuca (and suffered no consequences for). 
Anyway, I really wanted to comment on the "first opportunity" because no. They were in surgery for most of the day, if not all of it. Even before they got into the OR he was already side eyeing Linc and being a complete ass. Alex is (was? it was never clarified) not only the head of Pediatric Surgery (or just Pediatrics?) and an attending, but he's now also the chief of "well, everything" and he cannot act like that to his staff. Especially the ones who are new and considered "ortho gods" because they might, you know, get fed up with being treated like that and leave and then you don't have any people on ortho anymore (because Linc's the first person to replace Callie, apparently) and there will be even more badmouthing of the hospital within the medical community.

If Alex had a problem with Linc and Jo's friendship then maybe, just maybe, he should have talked to Jo after she jumped into the guy's arms and asked her about their past (because Jo apparently never told him about the guy who's been like a brother to her but doesn't bother keeping in touch with) and if that was during her Paul-time, then ask her if she ever confided in Linc and if not, if Linc ever inquired about it etc. Then, and only then, he could have asked Linc about it the next day. Like, "I know you and Jo, or Brooke as you knew her, go way back and she told me you were like a brother to her... but man, I gotta wonder how come you never tried to help her get out of her abusive marriage to Paul?" and not basically verbally attack your new attending (head of department?) and blame him for not saving Princess Jo. And I emphasized could, because really, it's none of his damn business regardless of the reasoning behind Linc's involvement or lack thereof. It was not Linc's responsibility to save Jo/Brooke.

And also, did you notice how Alex's first instinct was again to tell Linc he should have used violence to deal with Paul? If that's your go-to solution for every problematic thing in life, then you really need to get some therapy and honestly, you've got no business being a doctor/working with kids and especially not be the chief of "well, everything" (although I do realize that all the previous chiefs of surgery had some kind of problem from addiction, OCD/attitude/behavioral to PTSD and whatnot, so maybe it's a requirement in the world of Grey's).

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Efzee said:

Um, what? First of all, it is hot-headed. And I don't know if it's PTSD and/or if he's triggered by it because the only time he talks about his upbringing is sarcastic comments about the crazy things his mother said. However, if he does suffer from PTSD, then he needs to get some therapy. We've known Alex for about 15 years now and his first reaction is still the same. He needs therapy for PTSD and anger management, because he's got a lot of anger inside of him and that was proven not that long ago when he viciously attacked DeLuca (and suffered no consequences for). 
Anyway, I really wanted to comment on the "first opportunity" because no. They were in surgery for most of the day, if not all of it. Even before they got into the OR he was already side eyeing Linc and being a complete ass. Alex is (was? it was never clarified) not only the head of Pediatric Surgery (or just Pediatrics?) and an attending, but he's now also the chief of "well, everything" and he cannot act like that to his staff. Especially the ones who are new and considered "ortho gods" because they might, you know, get fed up with being treated like that and leave and then you don't have any people on ortho anymore (because Linc's the first person to replace Callie, apparently) and there will be even more badmouthing of the hospital within the medical community.

If Alex had a problem with Linc and Jo's friendship then maybe, just maybe, he should have talked to Jo after she jumped into the guy's arms and asked her about their past (because Jo apparently never told him about the guy who's been like a brother to her but doesn't bother keeping in touch with) and if that was during her Paul-time, then ask her if she ever confided in Linc and if not, if Linc ever inquired about it etc. Then, and only then, he could have asked Linc about it the next day. Like, "I know you and Jo, or Brooke as you knew her, go way back and she told me you were like a brother to her... but man, I gotta wonder how come you never tried to help her get out of her abusive marriage to Paul?" and not basically verbally attack your new attending (head of department?) and blame him for not saving Princess Jo. And I emphasized could, because really, it's none of his damn business regardless of the reasoning behind Linc's involvement or lack thereof. It was not Linc's responsibility to save Jo/Brooke.

And also, did you notice how Alex's first instinct was again to tell Linc he should have used violence to deal with Paul? If that's your go-to solution for every problematic thing in life, then you really need to get some therapy and honestly, you've got no business being a doctor/working with kids and especially not be the chief of "well, everything" (although I do realize that all the previous chiefs of surgery had some kind of problem from addiction, OCD/attitude/behavioral to PTSD and whatnot, so maybe it's a requirement in the world of Grey's).

I wish I could "like" this 1,000 times.  Thank you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Efzee said:

Um, what? First of all, it is hot-headed. And I don't know if it's PTSD and/or if he's triggered by it because the only time he talks about his upbringing is sarcastic comments about the crazy things his mother said. However, if he does suffer from PTSD, then he needs to get some therapy. We've known Alex for about 15 years now and his first reaction is still the same. He needs therapy for PTSD and anger management, because he's got a lot of anger inside of him and that was proven not that long ago when he viciously attacked DeLuca (and suffered no consequences for). 
Anyway, I really wanted to comment on the "first opportunity" because no. They were in surgery for most of the day, if not all of it. Even before they got into the OR he was already side eyeing Linc and being a complete ass. Alex is (was? it was never clarified) not only the head of Pediatric Surgery (or just Pediatrics?) and an attending, but he's now also the chief of "well, everything" and he cannot act like that to his staff. Especially the ones who are new and considered "ortho gods" because they might, you know, get fed up with being treated like that and leave and then you don't have any people on ortho anymore (because Linc's the first person to replace Callie, apparently) and there will be even more badmouthing of the hospital within the medical community.

If Alex had a problem with Linc and Jo's friendship then maybe, just maybe, he should have talked to Jo after she jumped into the guy's arms and asked her about their past (because Jo apparently never told him about the guy who's been like a brother to her but doesn't bother keeping in touch with) and if that was during her Paul-time, then ask her if she ever confided in Linc and if not, if Linc ever inquired about it etc. Then, and only then, he could have asked Linc about it the next day. Like, "I know you and Jo, or Brooke as you knew her, go way back and she told me you were like a brother to her... but man, I gotta wonder how come you never tried to help her get out of her abusive marriage to Paul?" and not basically verbally attack your new attending (head of department?) and blame him for not saving Princess Jo. And I emphasized could, because really, it's none of his damn business regardless of the reasoning behind Linc's involvement or lack thereof. It was not Linc's responsibility to save Jo/Brooke.

And also, did you notice how Alex's first instinct was again to tell Linc he should have used violence to deal with Paul? If that's your go-to solution for every problematic thing in life, then you really need to get some therapy and honestly, you've got no business being a doctor/working with kids and especially not be the chief of "well, everything" (although I do realize that all the previous chiefs of surgery had some kind of problem from addiction, OCD/attitude/behavioral to PTSD and whatnot, so maybe it's a requirement in the world of Grey's).

This. I second that I wish I could like this a 100 times too. Alex is terrible at dealing with his emotions(I mean honestly yeah they all are, but this is about Alex) and so I honestly didn’t see any growth in how he behaved around Linc, he was being rude while they were in a professional setting, because he was mad about the fact that Linc didn’t take care of Jo.

And yes who’s to say Linc knew about Paul  abusing Jo? And even if he did, I agree with you, Alex’s mindset was Linc is twice Paul’s size, so just take him out? And even if Linc knew, besides violence, what else could he have done? I wish we had gotten more on that, like he told something to Jo but then Jo got offended and they stopped talking because of it. Because Alex just assumed the worst of Linc and that Linc let it happen. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

This. I second that I wish I could like this a 100 times too. Alex is terrible at dealing with his emotions(I mean honestly yeah they all are, but this is about Alex) and so I honestly didn’t see any growth in how he behaved around Linc, he was being rude while they were in a professional setting, because he was mad about the fact that Linc didn’t take care of Jo.

And yes who’s to say Linc knew about Paul  abusing Jo? And even if he did, I agree with you, Alex’s mindset was Linc is twice Paul’s size, so just take him out? And even if Linc knew, besides violence, what else could he have done? I wish we had gotten more on that, like he told something to Jo but then Jo got offended and they stopped talking because of it. Because Alex just assumed the worst of Linc and that Linc let it happen. 

Yeah, it is also something that didn't need to "go there". There was no previous history between the two the last couple of episodes and all of a sudden, Linc and Jo knew each other back in teh day. Knew that Paul was abusing Jo and didn't do anything about it besides be Hank Hill and kept drinking his beer when he knew something was up. Ok, however seems more like Linc didn't know what to say, said something and Jo didn't want to hear it "at that time" and they drifted. Why is Alex so pissed? Would have Linc kicking Paul's ass back in the day before he was some "big name" doctor had made a difference? Most likely Paul would have pressed charges, Jo would have been quiet and Linc would have had his career partial ruined. However, none of that was talked about or even allured too, so what was the point?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, readster said:

Yeah, it is also something that didn't need to "go there". There was no previous history between the two the last couple of episodes and all of a sudden, Linc and Jo knew each other back in teh day. Knew that Paul was abusing Jo and didn't do anything about it besides be Hank Hill and kept drinking his beer when he knew something was up. Ok, however seems more like Linc didn't know what to say, said something and Jo didn't want to hear it "at that time" and they drifted. Why is Alex so pissed? Would have Linc kicking Paul's ass back in the day before he was some "big name" doctor had made a difference? Most likely Paul would have pressed charges, Jo would have been quiet and Linc would have had his career partial ruined. However, none of that was talked about or even allured too, so what was the point?

Yeah, there was nothing Linc could have done. It would been a more interesting twist if Linc had said “I only met Paul a few times, he didn’t seem to like me and then Jo and I stopped hanging out” . Like really I would think it would be more believable if Paul stopped letting Jo hang out with another guy. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, readster said:

Yeah, it is also something that didn't need to "go there". There was no previous history between the two the last couple of episodes and all of a sudden, Linc and Jo knew each other back in teh day. Knew that Paul was abusing Jo and didn't do anything about it besides be Hank Hill and kept drinking his beer when he knew something was up. Ok, however seems more like Linc didn't know what to say, said something and Jo didn't want to hear it "at that time" and they drifted. Why is Alex so pissed? Would have Linc kicking Paul's ass back in the day before he was some "big name" doctor had made a difference? Most likely Paul would have pressed charges, Jo would have been quiet and Linc would have had his career partial ruined. However, none of that was talked about or even allured too, so what was the point?

Linc quite explicitly says he didn't know that Paul was abusing Brooke/Jo and that had he known he would have done something about it.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Efzee said:

Um, what? First of all, it is hot-headed. And I don't know if it's PTSD and/or if he's triggered by it because the only time he talks about his upbringing is sarcastic comments about the crazy things his mother said. However, if he does suffer from PTSD, then he needs to get some therapy. We've known Alex for about 15 years now and his first reaction is still the same. He needs therapy for PTSD and anger management, because he's got a lot of anger inside of him and that was proven not that long ago when he viciously attacked DeLuca (and suffered no consequences for).

Okay clearly we are not going to agree here but here a few points for your to chew on.

1) Therapy is not a fucking magic wand. It doesn't fix everyone even when they try and not everyone responds to it. Alex has actually done group  therapy after the shooting and he spent most of it making fun of Lexie. Plenty of people don't do well with talk therapy and Alex is probably one of them. Some people do better taking up boxing or doing stand-up comedy. Alex simply doesn't process his emotions verbally not everyone does.   This is not a failing on Alex's part just a reflection that people are varied and what is a cure for some is not always a cure for all.

2) Even if he did go to therapy it cannot change  the fact the violence is his first impulse when he feels threatened or when someone he cares about is threatened. No therapy removes violent impulses usually it just teaches people how to better hide them. Alex has violent impulses because of the environment he grew up in imprinted them at a very early age, they are literally part of how his brain is wired. What you are asking him to do is like asking him to be left handed or gay. 

3) What if DeLuca had actually been raping Jo? Would you be so insistent on punishing Alex? I also have to wonder what sort of "punishment" you would prefer? a stay in jail would serve no one.  Should he be barred from medicine? who would that serve? not DeLuca anyway.  Punishment for punishments sake is useless and I highly doubt Alex will actually do anything like that again.  

4) To me it seems more like you want Alex to conform to your version of normal. I don't think that's realistic or good storytelling. Some people are fucked up and stay mostly that way. Frankly Alex is probably one of the most realistic characters on TV in that respect. The idea that people overcome horrible trauma and just come out the other side perfectly normal with a few weeks in therapy is TV bullshit at its finest. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Emily Thrace said:

I highly doubt Alex will actually do anything like that again.  

Why are you so sure he won't do it again if he's so "fucked up"? That's right, because he's not actually fucked up, or rather, he only is when the plot calls for it. The whole DeLuca thing has already been beaten to death (no pun intended) by pretty much everyone here, so there's no point in rehashing it, I'll just say that no amount of supposed fuckedupness can justify it.

Anyway, going back to this episode. The logical leap between "Linc and Jo know each other from before" to "Linc knew Jo was being abused and didn't help her" is simply too big to be believable. Unless Alex has paranoid tendencies, which would again question his abilities to practice medicine. But we know that's not the case and this entire thing is just another plot contrivance, and Alex will immediately go back to being a perfectly functional person, until the writers run out of ideas again and require him to act like an asshole idiot for no reason. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Emily Thrace said:

Okay clearly we are not going to agree here but here a few points for your to chew on.

1) Therapy is not a fucking magic wand. It doesn't fix everyone even when they try and not everyone responds to it. Alex has actually done group  therapy after the shooting and he spent most of it making fun of Lexie. Plenty of people don't do well with talk therapy and Alex is probably one of them. Some people do better taking up boxing or doing stand-up comedy. Alex simply doesn't process his emotions verbally not everyone does.   This is not a failing on Alex's part just a reflection that people are varied and what is a cure for some is not always a cure for all.

2) Even if he did go to therapy it cannot change  the fact the violence is his first impulse when he feels threatened or when someone he cares about is threatened. No therapy removes violent impulses usually it just teaches people how to better hide them. Alex has violent impulses because of the environment he grew up in imprinted them at a very early age, they are literally part of how his brain is wired. What you are asking him to do is like asking him to be left handed or gay. 

3) What if DeLuca had actually been raping Jo? Would you be so insistent on punishing Alex? I also have to wonder what sort of "punishment" you would prefer? a stay in jail would serve no one.  Should he be barred from medicine? who would that serve? not DeLuca anyway.  Punishment for punishments sake is useless and I highly doubt Alex will actually do anything like that again.  

4) To me it seems more like you want Alex to conform to your version of normal. I don't think that's realistic or good storytelling. Some people are fucked up and stay mostly that way. Frankly Alex is probably one of the most realistic characters on TV in that respect. The idea that people overcome horrible trauma and just come out the other side perfectly normal with a few weeks in therapy is TV bullshit at its finest. 

Sorry, I could write an essay in response to the points you've just made, but I'm not going to bother considering you don't think someone who violently attacked another (defenseless) person and nearly beat him to death should not be "punished" (I said consequences, not punishment) and serving jail time would "serve no one". Let's hope you and yours never find yourselves on the other end of an aggressive, "misunderstood" Alex Karev. I'm curious as to why you would think Alex would never do such a thing again, considering there have been absolutely no consequences for him whatsoever so why not do it again next time he feels like it? Which is pretty much whenever there's some difficulty in life, apparently.

To me it seems you're making excuses for a fictional character because... well, I don't know really. Fangirling? Trying to justify and apply RL stuff? I don't know and don't really care. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah. I used to really like Alex but what he did to DeLuca is beyond words. Also he did react in an aggressive manner last season when Tom informed him that despite their efforts they couldn’t help that little girl(the one who loved broadway and wanted to go

to my) Alex got angry and pushed him into a wall. That’s aggressive. No it isn’t beating someone to a bulp like he did DeLuca but it does show that his first instinct is aggressive behavior. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

That was a bad episode. It was so boring. 

I think the problem is I still like and care about some of the characters (Meredith, Alex, Bailey, Jackson) but their current storylines are awful. I don’t want to see Owen and Amelia sit in a parking lot all day. I don’t need to see another angsty Amelia episode where she’s worried the teenager is doing drugs. I’ve never connected to Maggie and feel the sister thing is way overplayed.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I really didn’t care for Jackson this episode. He honestly was behaving like a douche bag who knew he messed up. His whole demeanor is just weird but this honestly reminds me of how he was with Stephanie at times. Trying to use his charm and appeal to get her to agree. And maggie didn’t hold him accountable. Maybe at face value this episode was supposed to show how “healthy” they are but beyond that it’s not holding. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

What if DeLuca had actually been raping Jo?

Um, what?  Are we going to blame the victim here?  DeLuca wasn't raping Jo, so what the fuck does that even mean?  Alex very, very, very mistakenly thought he was, so it was completely fine for him to beat DeLuca nearly to death?  No, that's not how that works.  Alex doesn't get a free pass for his violence because he himself made a terribly wrong assumption.  DeLuca was an innocent and the victim of Alex's violence.  Full stop.  The what-if's are not justifiable or applicable.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Um, what?  Are we going to blame the victim here?  DeLuca wasn't raping Jo, so what the fuck does that even mean?  Alex very, very, very mistakenly thought he was, so it was completely fine for him to beat DeLuca nearly to death?  No, that's not how that works.  Alex doesn't get a free pass for his violence because he himself made a terribly wrong assumption.  DeLuca was an innocent and the victim of Alex's violence.  Full stop.  The what-if's are not justifiable or applicable.

This.

Also, look, I know therapy and anger management isn’t a cure for everyone but has the show even acknowledged that Alex should be doing something like this? That’s something I keep having a hard time getting over that Alex got nothing for what he did. DeLuca dropped the charges because he is a decent human being and he even told Alex that heh did it because Jo didn’t deserve to have to go though more hell but did Alex have to do anything? I’m actually asking because I can’t remember but I don’t think he did. I think it was just like over with and then we were all supposed to be super proud when he saw Paul and didn’t beat him up.. like really?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, Shellie said:

I thought the story about the young woman with the lunchbox was very contrived.  As soon as she said "lunchbox," I knew the problem would be connected with that somehow.  But I have to admit I was thinking more along the lines of Dr. House figuring out a professor kept getting sick because his ceramic coffee mug contained lead. 

I was thinking the same thing--there was some contamination at her garage/heavy metals . . .

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Um, what?  Are we going to blame the victim here?  DeLuca wasn't raping Jo, so what the fuck does that even mean?  Alex very, very, very mistakenly thought he was, so it was completely fine for him to beat DeLuca nearly to death?  No, that's not how that works.  Alex doesn't get a free pass for his violence because he himself made a terribly wrong assumption.  DeLuca was an innocent and the victim of Alex's violence.  Full stop.  The what-if's are not justifiable or applicable.

That is how I felt about Jo beating up that other doctor and he was the one who was blamed for it.  No, he didn't try to assault her, and yes, he grabbed her arm, but Jo overreacted and made him out to be violent.  He was the one in the hospital fighting for his life, and asked for police to report Jo, but Alex pressured and threatened him into not pressing charges because he wouldn't be believed that a sweet little girl like Jo was the perpetrator and he'd be blamed anyway.  Jo was not the victim; he was her victim and she got away with it scot free.

Edited by izabella
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a little invested in Owen and Amelia just because it's nice to see them acting like a real family. I wouldn't mind them being together. Teddy can go away.

I didn't hate Maggie this episode, so that's something. But maybe because Jackson was being a jerk. That couple will never work.

Meredith looked so different to me on this episode. Did the actress have something done to her face?

That scene with Bailey and Jo celebrating that they found the disease, and not Meredith Grey, was ridiculous.

Alex should be in prison. That's all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/1/2018 at 11:42 PM, maddie965 said:

I'm a little invested in Owen and Amelia just because it's nice to see them acting like a real family. I wouldn't mind them being together. Teddy can go away.

I didn't hate Maggie this episode, so that's something. But maybe because Jackson was being a jerk. That couple will never work.

Meredith looked so different to me on this episode. Did the actress have something done to her face?

That scene with Bailey and Jo celebrating that they found the disease, and not Meredith Grey, was ridiculous.

Alex should be in prison. That's all.

Meredith’s face looked bloated. Maybe fillers?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I do Not want Owen to choose Teddy over Amelia, I like Teddy but Owen and Amelia belong with each other imo and their bond needs to grow stronger without Teddy interfering, I hope they find out its not owens baby

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:33 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah. I used to really like Alex but what he did to DeLuca is beyond words. Also he did react in an aggressive manner last season when Tom informed him that despite their efforts they couldn’t help that little girl(the one who loved broadway and wanted to go

to my) Alex got angry and pushed him into a wall. That’s aggressive. No it isn’t beating someone to a bulp like he did DeLuca but it does show that his first instinct is aggressive behavior. 

I think Alex only gets aggressive because of people he cares about. He has always been one of my favotites and still is, sure I don't always agree with things he does but in the end he always comes through as a good guy, don't nobody talk bad about Alex

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, skermac said:

I think Alex only gets aggressive because of people he cares about.

Yeah, no, Alex does not get a pass for beating an innocent DeLuca almost to death because he cared about Jo and jumped to an insanely wrong conclusion.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

For me it's a tie between glasses, and the Amy Schumer look alike for the most annoying.   I'm sick of people having the hots for someone the way both of them do, and just mooning over the person.     Of course glasses, and HAOG in the ambulance was a boring cliff hanger.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×