Jump to content
fishcakes

S04.E02: Baby Shower

Recommended Posts

Quote

Jonah helps Amy get creative to stock up on supplies for her new baby, while Glenn and Jerusha take maternity pictures that inspire Dina to have her own photo shoot — art directed by Mateo.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, rhys said:

Dina as Beyonce was gold.

I loved all of Mateo’s photo shoots. Dina looked absolutely stunning in all of them. I loved that Garrett couldn’t stop staring at her when she was doing the Beyoncé photos. 

When will people learn not to mess with Sandra?

 

Funny episode tonight. So, many great lines:

Jonah: ‘Which one of those would be okay?’

Dina: ‘I’ve always had a weird thing about people with glasses. When I was younger, a near-sided man bit me...I got Hep A, I’m okay now.’

Sandra: ‘I haven’t heard from my parents since the volcano. I’m starting to get worried.’

Cheyenne: ‘You’re so lucky. Bo’s mom calls like, all the time.’

  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post

Mateo’s pics of Dina were kind of amazing. Loved that Sandra left Dina hanging, and equally loved Dina’s reaction to Sandra. and come to think of it, Garrett’s reaction to Dina, as well.  Very glad they didn’t have Dina go into labor while stuck up there (yet?).  

 

Amy and Jonah don’t seem to be trying very hard to keep their relationship a secret, which seems to be for the best.  I’m curious to see how they’ll handle Amy with Jonah once the baby is actually born and if/how Adam will be involved (provided Jonah didn’t get Amy double pregnant, of course). 

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, reallyjustjen said:

I’m curious to see how they’ll handle Amy with Jonah once the baby is actually born and if/how Adam will be involved (provided Jonah didn’t get Amy double pregnant, of course). 

I know it’s a serious topic for this show, but I wonder if Amy and Jonah have discussed it. Is Jonah ready to be a step-dad? Or will they break up once the baby is born?

And I feel bad for Glenn and Jerusha’s baby. I know he or she will be loved, but that baby’s parents are weird AF. ‘You’re going to throw your half-eaten baby in the trash?’

Oh, and Bo talking about Jonah getting Amy double pregnant? Hilarious scene. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, topanga said:

I know it’s a serious topic for this show, but I wonder if Amy and Jonah have discussed it. Is Jonah ready to be a step-dad? Or will they break up once the baby is born?

And I feel bad for Glenn and Jerusha’s baby. I know he or she will be loved, but that baby’s parents are weird AF. ‘You’re going to throw your half-eaten baby in the trash?’

Oh, and Bo talking about Jonah getting Amy double pregnant? Hilarious scene. 

According to one of the interviews it's something that gets address in the delivery episode, and that makes sense because that something you'll want to show on-screen.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Please, no more Jerusha. Her scenes are painfully unfunny.

Apart from that, a funny episode! Liked how upset everyone was that they weren't invited to shower. And Garrett always has best reactions and facial expressions. Here's hoping that he and Dina get back together in their relationship or whatever they called it!

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I never liked Dina much, but all her scenes were GOLD in this episode - especially the final scene with her and Sandra.

I can't remember a show where the lovey-dovey beginning of a relationship between the OTP happens off-camera and it will be interesting to see what happens with Jonah and Amy once everyone knows they are together.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

This was super funny. It might be up there as one of my favorite episodes. Weird maternity photos, dumb shower games, getting a bunch of useless crap as gifts, literally everything about Dina’s photo shoots, Evil Sandra and Dina being simultaneously proud of her and angry at her.  Everything hit the mark. 

 

My favorite Dina look was the one with the polar bear. She looked awesome as a blonde. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

My stupid vcr clock was fast and I missed the very end.  What happened after Dina realized that Sandra was going to leave her hanging there?

Speaking as a straight woman, Dina looked sexy as hell in most of those photos.  Mateo has a really good eye for that sort of thing.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

My stupid vcr clock was fast and I missed the very end.  What happened after Dina realized that Sandra was going to leave her hanging there?

Dina said: Oh I hate you as much as I respect you right now :-)

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

My favorite Dina look was the one with the polar bear. She looked awesome as a blonde. 

Seriously, she looked great in all of the photo shoots, except for maybe the last one which was just silly. When Mateo asked her to smile "with your eyes" I think that's the prettiest I've ever seen her look. I also loved the one where she's on the back of the motorcycle with Santa. Lauren Ash should seriously use those as her own Christmas cards.

Quote

My stupid vcr clock was fast and I missed the very end.  What happened after Dina realized that Sandra was going to leave her hanging there?

I have to remember to set all my NBC sitcoms to keep recording for an extra 2 or 3 minutes, they always run over.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I really dislike Glenn muscling in, like dislike as I do not want to watch this. It's because he's their boss, and it is coercion, and I just dont find it funny. I know they did an episode on this, but I just dont like watching it.

The rest was good. Beau (Bo?) is awesome. I love he got a stripper for Cheyenne.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Never mess you Sandra. "Oh Sandra, I respect as much as I hate you right now!" Those pictures might have been weird, but Dina actually looked really beautiful. She looks great as a blond! 

Of course Bo gets a stripper for Cheyenne who strips wearing a diaper. Sounds about right. 

This episode was hilarious, just about everything landed. I knew that Dina would get stuck in the angel harness, but I thought she might go into labor, so kudos for avoiding that one. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, cleo said:

I really dislike Glenn muscling in, like dislike as I do not want to watch this. It's because he's their boss, and it is coercion, and I just dont find it funny. I know they did an episode on this, but I just dont like watching it.

The rest was good. Beau (Bo?) is awesome. I love he got a stripper for Cheyenne.

He did close the store for the shower. ‘Black mold. Come back tomorrow. Smiley-face.’

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Thanks, that makes sense.

It's worth rewatching just for her delivery of that line, which was impeccably awesome.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

The rest was good. Beau (Bo?) is awesome. I love he got a stripper for Cheyenne.

OMG, and in a diaper, I forgot that part. And what did he say when he came over and started lap-dancing for Jonah? That was such a WTF moment.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Of course Garrett would be the first one to catch on about Amy and Jonah. He's always noticing everything, but also he and Dina had a secret relationship, so he is tuned to the dynamic.

Whoever designed the Dina-Mateo photo shoots needs to go into business taking glamour shots for pregnant women.

My favorite was her on the sled, but the polar bear was a close second.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Lauren Ash/Dina is a total knockout. Those khaki uniform pants do her no favors (nor anyone else). Garrett looked totally sprung. Hell, I was sprung, and I'm a straight girl. I wish they'd resurrect them already. And Dina really knows how to pose. I can't remember the last time she and Mateo were in a storyline together. The actors are close IRL, so I hope we see more of this pairing.

Anyone else notice the Britney Spears song in the background during the shower? Someone tried to go with a baby theme with the "...Baby One More Time" song.

Mateo (and Justine, if you watch closely enough) was so into that stripper. Who can blame him?

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

OMG, and in a diaper, I forgot that part. And what did he say when he came over and started lap-dancing for Jonah? That was such a WTF moment.

 He told Jonah it was time for “tummy time!”

 I love the actress who plays Jerusha, but I think her talent is totally wasted on that character. She was hilarious on Reno 911.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Aulty said:

 

I can't remember a show where the lovey-dovey beginning of a relationship between the OTP happens off-camera 

The Office immediately comes to mind.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

This episode was great. Beau was the best - I cracked up at the idea of Amy getting double pregnant and the two babies fighting for the umbilical cord. And when (I think) Jerusha was singing and Beau was backing her up, repeating words and making noises. Hilarious!

I was also nervous Dina was going to go into labor stuck in the harness!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

The Office immediately comes to mind.

yeah, I only watched the original ;-)

Edited by Aulty

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Lauren Ash/Dina is a total knockout. Those khaki uniform pants do her no favors (nor anyone else). Garrett looked totally sprung. Hell, I was sprung, and I'm a straight girl. I wish they'd resurrect them already. And Dina really knows how to pose.

She is. I have a bit of a crush on her.

Dina and Mateo was the only part of the episode I liked. I wish these babies would just get born already and hopefully never seen again. The stripper with the diaper creeped me the fuck out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Lauren Ash/Dina is a total knockout.

Saw her about a month ago at a party, and she was really beautiful in person! :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 2018-10-12 at 7:47 AM, Aulty said:

I can't remember a show where the lovey-dovey beginning of a relationship between the OTP happens off-camera and it will be interesting to see what happens with Jonah and Amy once everyone knows they are together.

12 Monkeys is another. I think when that when OTP gets together it's important that you don't completely change what worked for their relationship before, and sticking around for the early part of the relationship might get the writers stuck. I think that's what happened with Nick and Jess on New Girl and that started New Girl's decline.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/11/2018 at 8:01 PM, topanga said:

I loved all of Mateo’s photo shoots. Dina looked absolutely stunning in all of them. I loved that Garrett couldn’t stop staring at her when she was doing the Beyoncé photos.

I thought he was going to turn out to have a pregnant lady fetish.  (Or has he already been shown to have a pregnant lady fetish?)

On 10/12/2018 at 3:00 PM, possibilities said:

Of course Garrett would be the first one to catch on about Amy and Jonah. He's always noticing everything, but also he and Dina had a secret relationship, so he is tuned to the dynamic.

I didn't catch this.  How did they show that Garrett caught on.  Also, you can get double pregnant, although it's verrrry rare.  I feel like either Garrett or Jonah should have known that.

Edited by janie jones
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I didn't catch this.  How did they show that Garrett caught on.  Also, you can get double pregnant, although it's verrrry rare.  I feel like either Garrett or Jonah should have known that.

Garrett said that Jonah was looking happier, and then he said he was messing with him and that he saw them making out in the parking lot (so presumably last episode).

It true that you can have a pregnancy with multiple fathers, but it would have to occur within 1 fertilization cycle. It certainly not possible once you have a detectable pregnancy.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, calguy said:

It true that you can have a pregnancy with multiple fathers, but it would have to occur within 1 fertilization cycle. It certainly not possible once you have a detectable pregnancy.

I didn't mean to imply that Amy might be double pregnant.  It's just that the only person in that conversation who seemed to be aware that double pregnancy was actually a thing was Beau.  And I think the only reason Beau knows it's a thing is because a broken clock is right twice a day, not because he understands how ovulation and fertilization work.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I didn’t get the part about Sandra’s parents and the volcano?

Dina looked so pretty.  Loved seeing Garrett so unusually flustered once he saw her. 

Sadly, just realized Amy reminds me of a hated coworker and now I’m finding myself liking her less and less. 

Share this post


Link to post

I thought baby showers after the first child was generally Not Done? So neither Jerusha nor Amy really should've had one. Although I get why Amy wanted to go with Jonah's discount scheme since it's been so long between children. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I thought baby showers after the first child was generally Not Done? So neither Jerusha nor Amy really should've had one. Although I get why Amy wanted to go with Jonah's discount scheme since it's been so long between children. 

Sometimes you have them for Moms whose children are very far apart, like Amy, and they don’t have any baby things. Some Moms insist on one for each child, especially if #2 is a different gender than #1. ?

Share this post


Link to post

I think Brett gave a picture of himself as a baby shower gift, lol.  It was on the table behind Amy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, KLJ said:

I didn’t get the part about Sandra’s parents and the volcano?

There was a massive lava flow in Hawaii recently. So I'm assuming it means Sandra's parents are in Hawaii and she's worried they were killed. But all Cheyenne thinks is how lucky Sandra is that her parent's haven't called, since Cheyenne is annoyed by Beau's parents calling a lot.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

The double pregnancy thing is a rare possibility. I doubt they would write it into the show. My mom took a morning sickness pill popular in the 1970's that caused some female babies to be born with 2 uterus' (bicornuate) and a single kidney. I got pregnant on the left side(eventually had the right side removed) , now in most cases the pregnancy would stop ovulation from occuring so no right sided pregnancy would happen but there were a few cases I know of , that women got pregnant on one side and then 1-2 months later were pregnant on the other side. 

I love the show but I'm not happy with the pregnancy story line. I hope the writers find some brilliant way to work it all out but for now I;m more interested in the other cast. I also think one baby at a time is enough and Dina's pregnancy has so many possibilites. I can totally see Dina treating giving up the baby as a business transaction and then having her peeping through Glenn's window wanting to see the baby. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/13/2018 at 10:20 PM, theatremouse said:

I thought baby showers after the first child was generally Not Done? So neither Jerusha nor Amy really should've had one.

Haven’t Glenn and Jerusha adopted all their previous kids? I can see this being a special case.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, J0nas3 said:

Haven’t Glenn and Jerusha adopted all their previous kids? I can see this being a special case.

I'm not sure if they even adopted; I think they fostered a huge number of kids.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, J0nas3 said:

Haven’t Glenn and Jerusha adopted all their previous kids? I can see this being a special case.

The reasoning I've always been given for "no showers after the first kid" was because in theory you have stuff already. Amy's point is a good one that things like car seats expire, but I'm pretty sure  it was implied earlier in the show that Glenn and Jerusha until recently were still accepting placements, and have adopted a large number of the kids they fostered. So they especially would be likely to have baby stuff in their house. Unless they're not certified for infants, which I suppose is possible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The Dina/Mateo plot was awesome and reminded me how much Dina/Garrett should be back together, but since the pairings are apparently carbon copies of The Office romances (Amy/Jonah = Jim/Pam, Garrett/Dina = Dwight/Angela), they probably won't get back together until the series finale lol.

I'm so sick of Amy's pregnancy plots! Enough, no one asked for this. Why must we revisit it every episode. Tbh, the writers need to tone down her sour personality. We get it, she's anal and uptight. It's coming off as condescending and a little grating.

Yay, no more Noam!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/12/2018 at 12:02 PM, proserpina65 said:

My stupid vcr clock was fast and I missed the very end.  What happened after Dina realized that Sandra was going to leave her hanging there?

Speaking as a straight woman, Dina looked sexy as hell in most of those photos.  Mateo has a really good eye for that sort of thing.

VCR?! 

loved the photo shoot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

The Dina/Mateo plot was awesome and reminded me how much Dina/Garrett should be back together, but since the pairings are apparently carbon copies of The Office romances (Amy/Jonah = Jim/Pam, Garrett/Dina = Dwight/Angela), they probably won't get back together until the series finale lol.

I could sort of understand where someone might make Jim/Pam connections with Amy/Jonah (though I see them as very different characters), but I simply don't know how one could compare Dina and Garrett to Dwight and Angela.

Dina has some remote similarities to Dwight, but Angela and Garrett... are both people. And that's where the similarity ends. 

In other words, let's not wait until the finale to get them back together! :-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/15/2018 at 9:49 PM, theatremouse said:

The reasoning I've always been given for "no showers after the first kid" was because in theory you have stuff already. Amy's point is a good one that things like car seats expire, but I'm pretty sure  it was implied earlier in the show that Glenn and Jerusha until recently were still accepting placements, and have adopted a large number of the kids they fostered. So they especially would be likely to have baby stuff in their house. Unless they're not certified for infants, which I suppose is possible.

But did other people get gifts, too? I only saw Amy’s gifts on the table

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, topanga said:

But did other people get gifts, too? I only saw Amy’s gifts on the table

It seemed like they did? Something in the dialogue, although I don't remember exactly now, made it seem like they were basically alternating showing off the gifts. We got an Amy-centric scene but it looked like it was kinda...now here's so-and-so's gift for Amy, next is such-and-such's gift for Jerusha, rinse repeat, etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×