garnetarden

S06.E03: RAD!

Erica thinks all of her singing dreams are going to come true when she lands a job at the new karoke bar in town. But when she’s tasked with bringing in more customers, will Erica regret turning to Beverly for help? Meanwhile, Murray tries to teach Barry and Lainey how to be financially responsible adults.

• Like 2

I enjoyed this episode. Things I liked:

Geoff's callback to his stage fight from The Tasty Boys episode.

Barry controlling the utilities like a mad man...also his homemade Rad clothes fashioned with tape

Frenta karaoke

Rick Springfield!

The Barry/Lainey engagement has been going on for a bit...but I am sure the spinoff will come into play at some point. All of the parents were trying to talk them out of it...then they will come to accept it and Barry and Lainey will learn on their own eventually that the timing isn't right. 

Also, I am missing the JTP moments. Hopefully some more of those will happen soon. It is nice to see Beverly happily hanging out with friends of her own. 

• Like 12

I was hoping with the Bev-o-lution episode we were generally done with hard core Smother stories. However, I didn't mind how this one played out. While Bev and Erica going head-to-head and coming to a truce is nothing new, I appreciated the route the story took tonight. Bev generally accepted Erica's wishes and treated her like an adult while Erica could not shake the teenage-esque treatment of her mother.

It's odd, one of the first times I realized how much I grew up while away for my first year of college was when I was home and my conversations with my parents felt like peers interacting, not a parent-teacher relationship. Obviously that never fully goes away, but you notice the changing dynamic. I went to school across the country and didn't come home nearly as Erica. Of course I never had a mother like Bev either.

I actually would have enjoyed if this was one episode where their spat wasn't resolved to give it some permanence. If Bev's "I'm exhausted, I give up on trying to please you" was the final beat for that story tonight, it would have really resonated as to just how much of a brat Erica was being while trying to be treated as an adult.

I don't think we need a Black-ish style 5 episode misery-fest, but going to a 2 episode crisis and resolution would have been a fun shake up on the show's normal single episode resolutions. Especially as they leveraged all the past clips for both Murray and Bev.

Also, Erica has always been pretty, but their character decisions to treat her as the adult she is are noticeable. In that tailored tee that was her server's uniform tonight... Uhhh, that made me feel things

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

I was hoping with the Bev-o-lution episode we were generally done with hard core Smother stories. However, I didn't mind how this one played out. While Bev and Erica going head-to-head and coming to a truce is nothing new, I appreciated the route the story took tonight. Bev generally accepted Erica's wishes and treated her like an adult while Erica could not shake the teenage-esque treatment of her mother.

It's odd, one of the first times I realized how much I grew up while away for my first year of college was when I was home and my conversations with my parents felt like peers interacting, not a parent-teacher relationship. Obviously that never fully goes away, but you notice the changing dynamic. I went to school across the country and didn't come home nearly as Erica. Of course I never had a mother like Bev either.

I actually would have enjoyed if this was one episode where their spat wasn't resolved to give it some permanence. If Bev's "I'm exhausted, I give up on trying to please you" was the final beat for that story tonight, it would have really resonated as to just how much of a brat Erica was being while trying to be treated as an adult.

I don't think we need a Black-ish style 5 episode misery-fest, but going to a 2 episode crisis and resolution would have been a fun shake up on the show's normal single episode resolutions. Especially as they leveraged all the past clips for both Murray and Bev.

Also, Erica has always been pretty, but their character decisions to treat her as the adult she is are noticeable. In that tailored tee that was her server's uniform tonight... Uhhh, that made me feel things

Keep in mind that while Erica did go to college, she didn't even finish one year...most of which she spent partying and performing poorly in her classes. Not much growing up can happen in that short of a period of time. She is definitely quite a brat though at times. I don't mind that they make up by the end of every episode. It is a comedy after all and I like it to stay in the lighter side. There is enough drama in the world..and enough dramas on TV :)

• Like 6

I really do not understand smothers. Is it really that awesome to have nothing else than butting into the lives of children who can barely stand you?

• Like 1

Rick Springfield and Beverley doing karaoke is now one of my favorite things this show has ever done. 

Pops is, of course, the one person who is just super supportive of everything. He is just around to sip cocktails and be awesome, and he is almost out of cocktails. For now anyway. 

Was Rad ever that big of a movie in the 80s? I do see it being something that Barry would think was super cool. "We`re selling the rad bike and the keytair together, because it just makes the most sense."

• Like 13

I'd never even heard of the movie before I watched the episode. But it certainly looks like something that Barry would love,

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

I'd never even heard of the movie before I watched the episode. But it certainly looks like something that Barry would love,

I have, but only because my husband was REALLY into BMX.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Believe me, BMX was the big craze for boys (say, 7-18?) back from 1980 to 1987 or so.  Then they were really into skateboards.  Nobody remember the Aussie movie  BMX Bandits?

I only remember it from seeing pictures online of a very young Nicole Kidman. 

I remember BMX being really big in the 80s, but I don't remember any movies about it. On the other hand, I do remember Gleaming the Cube and Police Academy 4 having skateboarding in them, and Tony Hawk being in both. (He was also in Thrashin' too which I didn't know about until Josh Brolin had his comeback with Milk and No Country for Old Men.)

As for the episode, I loved seeing Rick Springfield and the constant use of Jessie's Girl, but I've grown tired of Erica especially the show always having to have the actress sing. 

• Like 6

I think the JTP should have performed a number of their own, or at least have been backup dancers for Bev and the Frentas. Where was Big Tasty? Why wasn't Lainey on stage? Coach Mellor doing a duet with his brother? So many missed opportunities, imo.

• Like 5

The movie Rad came out in 1986, so BMXing must've been popular around that time.

Murray's "How Not To Be A Money Moron" board was pretty funny.

Rick Springfield trying to sing his own song was the cherry on top of an ice cream sundae.  Not only is he a great musician, but also a terrific actor.  I love him in everything he's in.

• Like 8

On 10/11/2018 at 10:57 PM, mortonsalt said:

As for the episode, I loved seeing Rick Springfield and the constant use of Jessie's Girl, but I've grown tired of Erica especially the show always having to have the actress sing. 

Wait, so you're telling me Erica/Hayley Orrantia likes to sing? The show's been so subtle about it...

Seriously, though, I hope this is the end of Erica and Bev's knockdown, drag-out spats and reconciliations. I know that's how life is with mothers and daughters, but I'm over Erica's tantrums.

• Like 4

On 10/11/2018 at 12:46 PM, paulvdb said:

The name sounded familiar, but I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it turns out I have absolutely no memory of this movie. I think it seems like something I had heard of because the premise (a movie about BMX seems like something that clearly existed in the 80's), so my mind assumes I had heard of this particular movie. But looking it up, I seriously do not remember ever hearing about it. And I think I would have remembered a movie from 1986 with a young Lori Loughlin. I certainly remember her from Secret Admirer from around that same time.

In any case, Rad is something that must have eluded me back then, and up until this episode of The Goldbergs.

On the other hand, considering it only grossed $2 million at the box office, I shouldn't be surprised I had no memory of this movie. 

As for the rest of the episode, I am incredibly curious as to why Murray's first, second and last piece of financial advice to Barry isn't "Get a job, moron!". 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Like 1

Go away, Erica.  She is insufferable.

Barry said something about his mom buying lots of grated cheese. My memory isn't great, but way back when, in the 80s, didn't we still have to grate our own cheese? And tear up lettuce?  When did bags of grated cheese and bags of salad become a thing?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Go away, Erica.  She is insufferable.

Barry said something about his mom buying lots of grated cheese. My memory isn't great, but way back when, in the 80s, didn't we still have to grate our own cheese? And tear up lettuce?  When did bags of grated cheese and bags of salad become a thing?

A quick internet search suggested that shredded cheese first became a thing around the 1950s or 1960s. I think most people probably did still shred their own because pre shredded likely cost more back then. I guess Barry was onto something lol

• Like 3

Rad isn’t even available for purchase anywhere- that is how unique and rare it was. I have a twin brother and was exposed to “boy stuff” while playing with my Cabbage Patch Kid dolls. It’s definitely a cult film, like Grease 2, except the dancing takes place on actual bikes. I kid you not. Also, lots of cute guys were in it, especially those twin BMX bikers!

???Send me an Angel.....whoo whoo whoo.....send me an Angel.....

You can’t even find the soundtrack anywhere, which sucks.

I’ve only seen copies of the film for sale via eBay and it’s always for an outrageous sum of money...and only available on VHS tape.

#RadRules

Edited by Bridget

On 10/11/2018 at 1:09 PM, tennisgurl said:

Was Rad ever that big of a movie in the 80s?

On 10/11/2018 at 11:57 PM, mortonsalt said:

I remember BMX being really big in the 80s, but I don't remember any movies about it.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:18 AM, biakbiak said:

The podcast How Did This Get Made has a good episode about Rad!

On 10/13/2018 at 5:48 PM, Utpe said:

The movie Rad came out in 1986, so BMXing must've been popular around that time.

On 10/14/2018 at 5:32 PM, reggiejax said:

The name sounded familiar, but I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it turns out I have absolutely no memory of this movie. I think it seems like something I had heard of because the premise (a movie about BMX seems like something that clearly existed in the 80's), so my mind assumes I had heard of this particular movie. But looking it up, I seriously do not remember ever hearing about it. And I think I would have remembered a movie from 1986 with a young Lori Loughlin. I certainly remember her from Secret Admirer from around that same time.

In any case, Rad is something that must have eluded me back then, and up until this episode of The Goldbergs.

On the other hand, considering it only grossed $2 million at the box office, I shouldn't be surprised I had no memory of this movie.  

• Like 1