Jump to content
SilverStormm

All American

Recommended Posts

On 10/17/2018 at 11:28 PM, shouldbedancing said:

I want to like this show more than I currently do. I do like it but each ep has felt kind of long and I find my attention wandering towards the last 4th of the hour. I want to know who's true story this is inspired on. It's just "inspired by a true story." Okay??? Also, it should be set at West Beverly High, let's just keep it real.

I wondered that myself. Then I saw a thread just under this one that said "Spencer Paysinger from real life to fiction." LOL Guess that's the guy. I personally have never heard of him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Liked the scene with the police officers—well, I didn’t like it, like it, but it was powerful. And I liked the discussed that Spencer and the coach had afterward. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/30/2018 at 6:31 PM, Mikita said:

I wondered that myself. Then I saw a thread just under this one that said "Spencer Paysinger from real life to fiction." LOL Guess that's the guy. I personally have never heard of him.

He had a modest career in the NFL (where he played linebacker).  He went to Oregon for college and then was undrafted.   The NY Giants signed him as a free agent where he played four years and won Super Bowl XLVI.  After that, he signed with Miami for what looks like two years.  Then, he signed briefly with the NY Jets (preseason only) and Carolina (last month of the 2017 season) before being cut each time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm so glad that Jordan interrupted and told Olivia about the possibility of Spencer being their brother.  That hot tub scene was making me cringe.  I still hope there is some other reason for Baker making the payments, because if it really is the obvious reason, they're really dragging out the revelation.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I’m hoping it’s something else too because Spencer and Olivia have some great chemistry. I’m also happy that Spencer and the former douche are becoming friends. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/8/2018 at 9:14 PM, KWalkerInc said:

I'm so glad that Jordan interrupted and told Olivia about the possibility of Spencer being their brother.  That hot tub scene was making me cringe.  I still hope there is some other reason for Baker making the payments, because if it really is the obvious reason, they're really dragging out the revelation.

The best part may have been going Risky Business Bueller with the Porsche

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Raja said:

The best part may have been going Risky Business Bueller with the Porsche

I thought about Ferris Bueller as soon as I saw the car. 

A lot of family secrets came out in this past episode. Coach Baker is NOT the daddy, but he knows him. Grandpa is bigoted—“I can accept my biracial grandkids, but not their white mother.” His OJ line was cold-blooded. Spencer found out about his mother and Coach Baker’s history and was not happy. 

Some great family and friend drama, but I’d like to see the show get back to some high school football drama. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, topanga said:

Spencer found out about his mother and Coach Baker’s history and was not happy. 

I think Spencer was most mad that his mother asked the Coach to take him to Beverly Hills rather than it being the Coach's idea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, topanga said:

 A lot of family secrets came out in this past episode. Coach Baker is NOT the daddy, but he knows him.

I didn't get the sense that they'd definitively shut the door on Coach being Spencer's father.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The episode seemed to be closing the door on that theory until the final scene witch Coach and his father. That scene blew the door wide open again.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don’t know if all of this is reminiscent of the real Spencer’s youth but I thought I was signing up for The OC on the football field, not gang warfare in a barber shop.

Although the dead gangster is a very fine-looking actor.  Sad he died.  It is weird they are trying to humanize Sean, like where are they going with this?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

“Hoco?”  Is that what the kids are calling it nowadays?  It needs to stop.

Also Layla is pretty but goddamn Olivia is gorgeous.  She should be a leading lady all the time.

And how crazy that Daniel Ezra is British.  Never would have guessed that.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Holy crap he is British! Just saw an interview and couldn’t believe it. His American accent is amazing.

I am not on board with all the Layla drama.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Were they intentionally writing Layla as someone who stirs up trouble to try to get two guys to fight over her, or are we supposed to think she's somehow never interacted with another human teenager before?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Were they intentionally writing Layla as someone who stirs up trouble to try to get two guys to fight over her, or are we supposed to think she's somehow never interacted with another human teenager before?

I was wondering why the hell she went to stand next to Spencer right after breaking up with Asher. It just drove him to do what he did. She was dumb as hell. She had to know that would rile him up. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

When did high schools start having dances in the middle of the week and then the homecoming game?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I was very confused by this, as my high school at least always held the homecoming dance on Saturday, the day after the game.  But I guess they needed to have the dance first here for DRAMA!  Also, Spencer was at his mom's house before the dance even though he only goes home on the weekends.  He doesn't usually get there until after dark on Friday, but it was light out when everyone was going into the school for the dance (even though the main characters had all gone to the Bakers' house first).  Unless the game is on a Sunday (even more unlikely), I'm just going to pretend they had a day off from school and Spencer had gone back to Crenshaw a day early and been there for breakfast on Friday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Asher is a terrible person and his dad is the worst.

Daniel Ezra is a STAR.

Wished the show would've subverted cliche & allowed Shawn to live, but it was clear he was gonna meet a tragic end since the pilot.

Billy & Olivia are tedious.

Chris is the best.

Jordan is cute. Incredibly stupid, but cute.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I was kind of thinking the shooting was a set up by the DA mom. Like maybe Sean ratted out that guy and got to enter the witness protection program. 

I think it was very rude of Spencer to have sex in his room at the coach's house, apparently they don't care though because they let Layla in. I kind of expected them to be better parents though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

This episode was so depressing. There was no need to kill Shawn writers! Asher is also back to being a grade A douchebag along with his stupid ass father. Glad they ended up winning the game.

That Malibu cheerleader was annoying but she’s growing on me, unless she’s purposely made Jordan get high.

Edited by twoods

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, twoods said:

That Malibu cheerleader was annoying but she’s growing on me, unless she’s purposely made Jordan get high.

It was either her or Asher. They told Billy that there had been an anonymous tip. It  had to be her IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/12/2018 at 11:07 PM, Dee said:

Wished the show would've subverted cliche & allowed Shawn to live, but it was clear he was gonna meet a tragic end since the pilot.

By the time he died, the show had finally started to make him a real character instead of a caricature. So I was genuinely sad when he got murdered—he’d started to grow on me. 

On 12/6/2018 at 3:47 PM, twoods said:

Holy crap he is British! Just saw an interview and couldn’t believe it. His American accent is amazing.

I am not on board with all the Layla drama.

I know. His American accent is really good. And I love Cooper amd Spencer’s friendship. They really look out for one another. 

And I don’t know why Layla is supposed to be the prize. She’s pretty, I guess, but kinda boring. Olivia is prettier, IMO, and she’s also funnier and more aware of other people and the world, if that makes any sense. Layla only sees the people and things that impact her small little world. I know Olivia had a drug problem, but that’s not uncommon among high school students. Don’t know why it’s made her a pariah at school. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/13/2018 at 4:34 PM, twoods said:

That Malibu cheerleader was annoying but she’s growing on me, unless she’s purposely made Jordan get high.

Here's my wild-ass spoiler prediction -- that cheerleader is the Malibu's coaches' daughter.

He seems scummy enough to be willing to pimp out his own daughter in order to win and get back at Beverly Hill's coach.

On 12/13/2018 at 1:20 PM, butterflyeludesme said:

I was kind of thinking the shooting was a set up by the DA mom. Like maybe Sean ratted out that guy and got to enter the witness protection program. 

But he was killed by a rival gang (the one's associated with the dead gangster outside the barber shop), not by his own gang.

Edited by Rus-L
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/6/2018 at 3:47 PM, twoods said:

Holy crap he is British! Just saw an interview and couldn’t believe it. His American accent is amazing.

And a strong British accent.

It's like when I first found out Jamie Bamber, who played Apollo on the Battlestar Galactica revival, was British.  I heard an interview with him, and couldn't believe someone with such a heavy British accent could just "get rid of it" like that.  That always amazes me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Rus-L said:

Here's my wild-ass spoiler prediction -- that cheerleader is the Malibu's coaches' daughter.

He seems scummy enough to be willing to pimp out his own daughter in order to win and get back at Beverly Hill's coach.

But he was killed by a rival gang (the one's associated with the dead gangster outside the barber shop), not by his own gang.

 

The coach will do anything line was made weaker by having him protect his son and not some random player.

 

I  agree about a Deputy DA giving up a witness for  a friend or the greater glory of football in Beverly Hills. Tupac on the other hand giving up an ex soldier to get a cease fire with the local Crips may be in the story, especially as our hero continues to visit Crenshaw 

Edited by Raja
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Rus-L said:

Here's my wild-ass spoiler prediction -- that cheerleader is the Malibu's coaches' daughter.

He seems scummy enough to be willing to pimp out his own daughter in order to win and get back at Beverly Hill's coach.

But he was killed by a rival gang (the one's associated with the dead gangster outside the barber shop), not by his own gang.

Oh i know! I was just sort of hoping it was some bigger plan and he really would get out somehow. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I fully admit I know nothing about gang membership, but why couldn’t Shawn have just, you know, moved away to Louisiana?

He was growing on me too so that was a very sad end.

I can buy Jordan as a high schooler.  His Malibu girlfriend, on the other hand, doesn’t look a day under 30.

So Asher is suspended and can’t be on the sideline.  But some rando Crenshaw kid who is rewriting the Beverly playbook can hang out the whole second half with no problem?

Asher’s dad is a caricature.  “If you aren’t playing there is no use for you here”?  Who says that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I fully admit I know nothing about gang membership, but why couldn’t Shawn have just, you know, moved away to Louisiana?

He was growing on me too so that was a very sad end.

 

Consider it like leaving the Army,  they might or might not not go after you depending upon the politics of the day. In both cases the gang and the government know about you and might go looking. By formally getting permission and leaving he had the state of mind that he could pack up, instead of just hiding and no revenge would be sub contracted out  to gangsters in Louisiana to go after him or his family there. And he could return to Crenshaw for visits or after a many years when he was no longer among the younger soldiers  but a peer of an OG returning from his second strike prison sentence.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/21/2018 at 6:17 PM, mojoween said:

I fully admit I know nothing about gang membership, but why couldn’t Shawn have just, you know, moved away to Louisiana?

Probably didn't want anything to happen to his mother, who still lives in the community.

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if Coop is working as an informant.  She has to have some type of plan to go from learning that Tyrone had Shawn killed to suddenly demanding to officially be in the gang.  Maybe she contacted Laura, who wasn't in the episode at all.

I know they have to stretch it out since they've reached the playoffs and there are 7 (?) episodes left, but I hope they'll have another football game soon, because it would cut down on the time available for so very many speeches. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Are we supposed to feel sorry for Asher? Acts like an ass at Homecoming, turns against his teammates, then has sad face when Layla is dating Spencer. Spencer saved his butt with the car fiasco, but now he will probably do something to hurt Spencer.

I hope Coop is an informant. I don’t want her to die.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm beginning to think they're never going to play this supposed playoff game!  I wonder if they had already planned or even filmed the finale when they were picked up for more episodes, so they had to just think of a bunch of things to fill in the episodes.  I don't live in California, but it seems like most states continue with the playoffs the week following the end of the regular season, not sit around for a month or more (plus holding district-sanctioned combines that could easily get players injured before the playoffs).  The playoffs here already last into the start of the winter sports season as it is, making it difficult for those who play more than one sport to adjust to the new season.

I wonder what the team will think of Asher being back; it would seem like it would be impossible to ever trust him.  His parents are asses, but it's a little quick for him to suddenly be allowed to return just because he did one semi-mature thing.  Will he even have to serve the second game of his suspension for the Homecoming incident?  Of course, the school doesn't care if it gets revoked because they only care about winning and were pressuring Baker to revoke it in the first place.

I hope they don't continue with last week's storyline of Layla and the student council elections, because I fear it will provide way too many opportunities for people to say "StuCo" again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/31/2019 at 5:35 AM, KWalkerInc said:

I'm beginning to think they're never going to play this supposed playoff game!  I wonder if they had already planned or even filmed the finale when they were picked up for more episodes, so they had to just think of a bunch of things to fill in the episodes.  I don't live in California, but it seems like most states continue with the playoffs the week following the end of the regular season, not sit around for a month or more (plus holding district-sanctioned combines that could easily get players injured before the playoffs).  The playoffs here already last into the start of the winter sports season as it is, making it difficult for those who play more than one sport to adjust to the new season.

I wonder what the team will think of Asher being back; it would seem like it would be impossible to ever trust him.  His parents are asses, but it's a little quick for him to suddenly be allowed to return just because he did one semi-mature thing.  Will he even have to serve the second game of his suspension for the Homecoming incident?  Of course, the school doesn't care if it gets revoked because they only care about winning and were pressuring Baker to revoke it in the first place.

I hope they don't continue with last week's storyline of Layla and the student council elections, because I fear it will provide way too many opportunities for people to say "StuCo" again.

I know, right? LOL. All of the non-football stuff does seem to be filler. Like Jordan and his asshole grandfather. "You suck! But let me train you. Oh, and give me a hundred bucks. Your white mom sucks because she's white! But I want to embrace you as my biracial grandchild. Hey, you got another hun'ned?"

Or Spencer and Layla. Snooozze. Layla is cute but incredibly boring. I don't know if it's the way the character is written or the actress. I much prefer Olivia--she's funny, seems smart, and she doesn't sit around all day looking angst-y like Layla does. Even though Olivia is the one who's been through some real shit this past year. Oh, I forgot--Olivia's mom died. Sorry. But she never talks about her mom as as a person. Only as someone who died. Oh, and as a cock-blocker for her dad. I never get the impression that Layla and her mom were close. Has Layla ever talked to Spencer about her mom or any memories of her? Again, it might be the fault of the writing.

And yeah, who hosts a combine before the playoffs? I did like the story about the boosters. Recruiting violations like that are real, unfortunately. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I know that Coop wants Spencer to be happy, but I wish she would stop playing cheerleader for him and Layla.  Actually, it seems like everyone does that--even Asher!  They are very boring.  I find Spencer's ex-girlfriend from Crenshaw much more engaging, even though she's only been in a few scenes.  I liked the plots for Olivia and Coop in this episode.  And it looks like they might play a football game in the next episode!  Weird that they'd preempt their lineup for two weeks in sweeps and then bring it back to air opposite the season finale of the highly rated Masked Singer.  I hope that AA isn't ending the season on a cliffhanger next month, because between the ratings and the CW already renewing basically everything else they have, it doesn't look so good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×