saber5055

Season 35 Final Jeopardy Contest

1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

Depends on if you mean Cornish pasties or stripper pasties.

Either meaning works for parties. 😉 Though dullard that I am, I'd prefer the Cornish pasties, please.

Edited by Clanstarling

WEEK 23 — TWO asterisks
111. Primetime TV. “Complications” was a suggested title for this ABC drama that was renewed for a 15th season in 2018.
112. Islands. 650 miles off the U.S., it was the site of a 1609 shipwreck of colonists bound for Jamestown that may have inspired “The Tempest.”
 * 113. Poets. He gave his pets names like Wiscus, Pettipaws, George Pushdragon & Jellylorum, the last of which he used in a poem. *
114. Colorful Geography. Named for a soldier killed in 1846 at the start of a war, it was in the news again as a port of entry to the U.S. in 2018.
 * 115. 19th Century Inventors. He spent his life improving a plant-based substance he described as a “vegetable leather” or “elastic metal.”

Edited by saber5055

28 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I guess I was on the writers wavelength 5/5 with 2*.

I hereby pass along the Crown to the Smartypants of Week 23!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, j5cochran said:
38 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I guess I was on the writers wavelength 5/5 with 2*.

I hereby pass along the Crown to the Smartypants of Week 23!

I suspect @biakbiak is not on the writers' wavelengths, he/she IS one of the writers. *cough*

• Laugh 1

30 minutes ago, Abstract said:

3/5 this week including the two TS.

@Abstract, I don't have any previous scores for you but I will start you with Week 23 so you can play along with everyone else. If you have the energy to go back and report Weeks 1-22, I'll record those and you'll be up to date and prize eligible -- I'm fine with that. Meanwhile, welcome to The Game!

Week 23 - 0/5, no *

Season to date - 55/115, 6*

Guess I'm sitting in the Dunce Cap corner for  the week.  On the plus side, I made baked doughnuts yesterday, and they were so good!  I'll toss a virtual one your way if you like doughnuts, Saber! The ones I made don't have sprinkles, though.  image.thumb.png.b32d9c63102a840a37d46cd3ffd76c91.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Guess I'm sitting in the Dunce Cap corner for  the week.  On the plus side, I made baked doughnuts yesterday, and they were so good!  I'll toss a virtual one your way if you like doughnuts, Saber! The ones I made don't have sprinkles, though.  

You are maybe in the Dunce Cap Corner this week, but you have a long way to (not) go to beat my low score. Unlike golf, being the leader in the low score is not a good look in this contest. However, I DO LOVE ME SOME DOUGHNUTS and I never get them. So yours are a special treat @zoey1996. Thank you so much for thinking of me. (I'm not a sprinkles fan so all is good.) YUM!

Week 23:  3/5, 2 (count them!) 2 asterisks!   Overall: 73/115 (9 asterisks--hoping to hit double digits soon).

• Like 1

Because All Stars starts today, there is no FJ today, Wednesday, Feb. 20. There will be tomorrow. We will still play the contest Monday through Friday, even if there are only three FJs (more or less) per week. Good luck to anyone who entered a fantasy team!

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Because All Stars starts today, there is no FJ today, Wednesday, Feb. 20. There will be tomorrow. We will still play the contest Monday through Friday, even if there are only three FJs (more or less) per week. Good luck to anyone who entered a fantasy team!

I guess I should have read this thread first (posted the "what about the contest" in the main thread). So this week, we'll probably be posting X/3 (instead of X/5) for our scores. Thanks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, illdoc said:

So this week, we'll probably be posting X/3 (instead of X/5) for our scores

Yes to this. I keep score by weeks so it really doesn't matter how many FJs are in any given week. Hey, if I get 2/2 this week, I'll rock! (As if, based on my past performance.)

• Laugh 1

Thanks to Saber5050’s visual aid in the All-Stars thread, we now know that this week will have 4 FJs, as will next week, and the week after that will have 5.  I propose:

We use 4/4 for this week and next, and back to 5/5 for the week after.  What do you all think?

The alternate would be 2/2 this week, skip next week, and 3/3 for the following week.  I’m happy either way.

Edited by zoey1996

If there is only one FJ per week, then there's only 1/1 for that week. Doesn't matter how many FJs in any given week, we take what the show gives us. Five per week is not written in stone.

It doesn't matter who is playing, we don't care. We only care if there is a FJ that day. If there is, we count it. If there isn't, we wait until the next day when there (hopefully) is. We won't skip any FJs for any reason.

Play on, gamesters!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

If there is only one FJ per week, then there's only 1/1 for that week. Doesn't matter how many FJs in any given week, we take what the show gives us. Five per week is not written in stone.

It doesn't matter who is playing, we don't care. We only care if there is a FJ that day. If there is, we count it. If there isn't, we wait until the next day when there (hopefully) is. We won't skip any FJs for any reason.

Play on, gamesters!

Works for me - thanks!

• Like 1

@Sharpie66, I am missing your score for last week, Week 23. If you did post it and I missed it, please repost. If you are away, that's okay. Just catch up when you get back online. Your spot in the contest is being held, don't worry

Thanks!

Week 24:  2/4 with one asterisk.  Some of the All-Star game questions may have been simple, but their Final Jeopardy clues wiped me out!

• Like 1

WEEK 24 — ONE asterisk  
 * 116. British Authors. Born in 1866, he has been called “The Shakespeare of Science Fiction.”   *
117. Broadway Musicals. The title of this musical that opened in 1956 came from the last line of a nursery rhyme about a structure that spanned the Thames.
118. African Geography. The 7-letter names of these western- & easternmost mainland countries begin with the same letter.
119. Women In U.S. History. In 1901 this activist was jailed for inspiring the assassination of William McKinley, but the charge was later dropped.