17wheatthins

Norm Macdonald Has A Show

I guess no one is watching this because he said some stupid stuff, but so far I watched the first one with David Spade. It was fun since Spade has a bunch of interesting stories, but I'm not sure how it'll work with the non-comedian guests it seems he'll have in later episodes. It felt like a mix between a normal talk show, letting guests tell stories, and Between Two Ferns where you're not quite sure how much is a joke. Wasn't really a fan of Adam Eg(r)et in Norm's podcast so wasn't too happy to see him here too.

Edited by Nellise
  • Like 3

I watched it because it came up on my netflix. I don't begrudge anyone writing him off for being stupid. 

The Spade one was probably the weakest so far because it was just he and Norm messing with one another. Barrymore clearly was having a good time and was unreserved. I don't want to run down the whole thing, but to answer the noncomedian guest question, I thought it worked fine. 

The show seems very rambly to me though. I don't know what he's going for. 

Didn't know Norm wrote for Rosanne. One comment I really liked was that writing for a sitcom constrains you because you had to keep the characters the same for years on end, but in a movie you have to have them show growth but only in 120 minutes. 

• Like 2

I watched the Judge Judy episode. It made me laugh that the only episode I ever remembered about Judge Wapner's People's Court was the same episode Norm remembered. 

Nitpicks: the desk seemed too cumbersome—and I'm not sure what the purpose of the sidekick guy was. I mean, he wasn't awful, I just don't see the point. The song thing at the end was awkward and terrible.

I wasn't really sure what was going on with the, "We're gonna take a break now from our interview..." and yet, they played a portion of the interview but without showing. 

I mean, it was OK but nothing groundbreaking. If I'm desperate in the future for something to watch, I'll watch a few more episodes.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I wasn't really sure what was going on with the, "We're gonna take a break now from our interview..." and yet, they played a portion of the interview but without showing. 

Yeah, I didn't get that. It was kind of funny the first time, but not again.

8 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I mean, it was OK but nothing groundbreaking. If I'm desperate in the future for something to watch, I'll watch a few more episodes. 

I feel the same.

• Like 2

I watched the next two with Drew Barrymore and Judge Judy. Drew's episode was pretty good because she could roll with Norm being weird, but I was kind of bored by Judge Judy's episode because Norm played the whole thing straight which isn't his strong suit. Judge Judy herself was perfectly fine but Norm was just kind of there to ask questions and anybody can do that.

I was reminded of one thing that impresses me about Norm: he seems to remember every TV show and movie and comedian he's ever seen and can talk about anything anybody brings up and even knows lines and obscure things about them. Maybe he knows ahead of time what they'll bring up and can research it, but it really doesn't feel that way.

But they really need to cut out the stupid things that just exist for the sake of being stupid: the fake commercial breaks, the song at the end, and Adam Eget. Norm by himself interviewing people is interesting enough in its own right, the rest undercut what would be a pretty good talk show. I like Norm and those things are even turning me off this show. Like the question that Adam Eget asked Judge Judy, that wasn't funny, it was embarrassing and that's with me knowing he's doing it on purpose as a bit.

Edited by Nellise
  • Like 2

I've watched the Spade, Barrymore and Letterman eps. Adam Eget, who I have never heard of before, became increasingly annoying. He laughs at virtually everything, to the point of covering up actual reactions/comments from the guest. This was especially irritating in the Letterman episode, where it wasn't clear if Dave appreciated the show's oddness, or thought it was stupid. Eget would laugh nonstop and you couldn't hear some asides from Letterman. Eget seems to have no other role. I don't know why he is there.

I think I could like this show if Norm would stay just a little more focused. Some of his odd insights are funny, too many become annoying. Which he probably likes. I'm willing to go with him for now.

• Like 1

I watched a bit.  I'm not the time of person to punish someone for speaking an opinion that goes against the acceptable boundaries of the "cool kids", so I don't care if he did a couple tweets.  Netflix seems like a bad avenue for a talk show though.  I guess it doesn't help that I really like talk shows in the first place.  Still, isn't the appeal of talk shows that it's a thing you just kind of watch because you happen to be awake and have free time at that moment?  Talk shows as a thing you seek out seems to weird.

Saw a comedy special of his on Netflix recently and that was pretty funny.

Edited by Ray Adverb
  • Like 2

I watched the Jane Fonda interview the other day.  Realize she is older but she looked very uncomfortable physically and a bit frail.   At first she wasn’t sure what do make of Norm then it seems she just rolled with her weirdness.  

• Like 1

It's an interesting show, but the visual element doesn't add anything.  It could just as easily be a podcast.  I watched a bunch of episodes while doing other stuff.  It's not bad.

• Like 1