SilverStormm

Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER

I agree.  I remember seeing Brodi, the kinkajou and possum and the little girl and father adopting the rabbit stories before.  Reminds me of what they have done with several Dr. Pol episodes.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Me Too said:

I agree.  I remember seeing Brodi, the kinkajou and possum and the little girl and father adopting the rabbit stories before.  Reminds me of what they have done with several Dr. Pol episodes.

Good to know.  I didn't remember any of the segments from seeing them before.  So that's the reason that Tom was on (with hair, no less).

Edited by Rammchick
  • Like 1

Wonder how much the fish’s vet and prescription bill totaled?

That bladder stone was massive! Poor tortoise. Bet she felt so much better afterwards! So does the shell just heal up where it was cut?

Glad Dr. T’s bunny came out alright.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Wonder how much the fish’s vet and prescription bill totaled?

That bladder stone was massive! Poor tortoise. Bet she felt so much better afterwards! So does the shell just heal up where it was cut?

Glad Dr. T’s bunny came out alright.

Just now watching, and holy hell, that stone!

8 minutes ago, nokat said:

I can't get excited over bearded dragon poop.

Aw, you must be dead inside!

We also got tortoise shit. Including close ups, in case we weren't quite sure.

I noticed this ep was listed as "best of", so they are repackaged segments. I remembered the blond twins and Dr. T's rabbit.

• Like 6

We never did hear anything further about that stone.  What did Dr K think caused it?  It was huge!  She also - at least on camera - didn't give the owners any advice about diet, or substrate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rammchick said:

We never did hear anything further about that stone.  What did Dr K think caused it?  It was huge!  She also - at least on camera - didn't give the owners any advice about diet, or substrate.

I’m sure she did. There is only so much that makes the cut.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I’m sure she did. There is only so much that makes the cut.

I'm sure you're right.  It's just a shame that the really interesting part about that case ended up on the cutting room floor.

• Like 2

According to Reptile Magazine 

The stones can be caused by a number of factors. The two most common are improper diet and dehydration. Tortoises are vegetarians. Like other animals, their diet should consist of protein, carbohydrates and fats. However, the dietary protein and fats should be of plant origin, not animal origin. Their systems are not equipped to handle large amounts of animal-based nutrients (such as dog food - a commonly fed diet that is very bad for tortoises and other herbivorous reptiles, such as iguanas).

So the twin sisters may not be feeding them correctly. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BookWitch said:

BookWitch thanks for the article.

I hope that was info Dr K talked to them about. I can't see how a tortoise could go through surgery again.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BookWitch said:

They don’t appear to be feeding themselves correctly.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2018 at 12:03 PM, BookWitch said:

Too much -- or in this case, any -- animal protein is the cause of so much misery for herbivorous reptiles.  It totally ruins their kidneys.  Could have been a great teachable moment.  Oh well.