Jump to content
SilverStormm

Raising Tourette's

Recommended Posts

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share this post


Link to post

Happy to see this forum, thank you. I have watched the first two episodes so far. Tourette's is something I know nothing about so it's interesting to me. I find myself gravitating toward Kristin the most, I think in part because my older DS is starting senior year of high school and even though this was filmed last year, we are following her senior year. I wonder what she's doing now. I found her mom on Facebook and it appears Kristin has a page but it looks like it's pretty private (as it should be, IMO) so I can't see if she's at college this year. She's cute (very pixie-like with that short cut), sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders.

I can't decide what I think about some of the other families. The mom of the 11 year old cello player (sorry, most of the other names are escaping me right now)kind of rubs me the wrong way, she seemed so abrasive about the orchestra she wants him to be in. But maybe because she also has Tourette's, she's less likely to baby him than, say Kristin's mom who seems very nervous about being close by all the time. The boy who asked his friend to the dance (Colton?) seems very sweet.

Can't wait to read what you all have to say too!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I'm caught up to the current episode (the 3rd) and I don't want to sound crass, but this show exhausts me. I start to feel so much tension watching these kids tic and cough and jerk their necks and everything. I can only imagine what a toll it takes on them.

From the first episode: I agree aboutthe cello playing boy with the overbearing mother pushing him to practice all the time. In my view the kid was clearly being browbeaten into playing the instrument and was only doing it to please Mom. Hopefully, she will chill out or he will push backas the show goes along.

9 hours ago, Eureka said:

rubs me the wrong way, she seemed so abrasive about the orchestra she wants him to be in. But maybe because she also has Tourette's,

I must have missed the revelation that cello mom has Tourette's too. I don't remember seeing her have any kinds of tics - gotta pay attention when they show up next episode.

I don't have kids but I feel that some of the moms are doing more harm than good with micromanaging and hovering. I haven't got all of the names yet, but the mother (Stress Mom) with thegirl whose legs give out and who is constantly getting called to school needs to chill. Sitting there with a phone anticipating that it may ring any second with a crisis is no way to go through life and your other child will probably start to think that they're an afterthought. One thing bugged me though - the scenes with SMtutoring Homeschool daughter(HSD) and the conversation they had about HSD feeling neglected felt so scripted and not spontaneous. It felt like theywanted to up the family drama, so SM and HSDhad to have a heartfelt (but stiff sounding) convo. The scenes with Snake Grandpa seemed crammed in too - filler to show how sweet it is that they can bond over their disabilities. I was not moved. I like the HS girl with the pixie cut. The other two teen boys... still forming an opinion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Stress Mom needs to get to therapy ASAP and learn some coping skills or shes going to breakdown. You cant give from an empty cup. I found it interesting that when listing offthings she had to be on call for for her oldest daughter, bringing her things she forgot was on the list. So its not all Tourettes issues;shesjust forgetting things. Which is normaland I cant remember if she adhd/add, but that can add to the forgetting things, as well. BUT you cantgo rescuing her even damn day because she forgot something. Its like Rachels mom from Born This Way, when she said she had to address Rachels behavior as a child or itd get out of control as she grew up and having a disability isnt an excuse. I realize there are many, many factors going on with Charlee (and she seems like she hasa severe, complex degree of Tourettes), but Stress Mom needs to separate the Tourettesissues from normal adolescence fromadhd/add/whatever and address each appropriately. I can appreciate that she is very stressed out. But re:therapy to learnbetter coping techniques for herself and if Charlee has other Bx or MH diagnoses and hopefully is seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist, SM can learn ways to address those. If achild with DS (or other dx) had a behavioral issue, youd still try your best within the limits of the dx to address the issue (re:Elena). SM had me a ball of tension and anxiety just from her clips.

ETa: I dont want to sound heartless, I sincerely feel for SM and Im only going off what weve been shown, but SM needs some real help...aside from her husband and father telling her what shes doing wrong).

Edited by dreadfulLeigh
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I worry about Charlee's little sister. Stress Mom (good name!) says that her anxiety and possible OCD are too severe for her to go to school, but I can't believe it's helping her to be constantly exposed to that much stress and not even get through a lesson without having to go deal with Charlee. I get that being a sibling of a kid with a chronic illness has a lot of challenges, but from what we've seen, little sister is totally getting the short end of the stick.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

Stress Mom needs to get to therapy ASAP and learn some coping skills or shes going to breakdown. You cant give from an empty cup. I found it interesting that when listing offthings she had to be on call for for her oldest daughter, bringing her things she forgot was on the list. So its not all Tourettes issues;shesjust forgetting things. Which is normaland I cant remember if she adhd/add, but that can add to the forgetting things, as well. BUT you cantgo rescuing her even damn day because she forgot something. Its like Rachels mom from Born This Way, when she said she had to address Rachels behavior as a child or itd get out of control as she grew up and having a disability isnt an excuse. I realize there are many, many factors going on with Charlee (and she seems like she hasa severe, complex degree of Tourettes), but Stress Mom needs to separate the Tourettesissues from normal adolescence fromadhd/add/whatever and address each appropriately. I can appreciate that she is very stressed out. But re:therapy to learnbetter coping techniques for herself and if Charlee has other Bx or MH diagnoses and hopefully is seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist, SM can learn ways to address those. If achild with DS (or other dx) had a behavioral issue, youd still try your best within the limits of the dx to address the issue (re:Elena). SM had me a ball of tension and anxiety just from her clips.

ETa: I dont want to sound heartless, I sincerely feel for SM and Im only going off what weve been shown, but SM needs some real help...aside from her husband and father telling her what shes doing wrong).

So Charleehas an amended day at school, which means she must have an IEP or 504,right? Wouldnt she qualify for an aide who could head off some of the reasons she calls Mom so much? I dont mean the forgetting things but the actual issues related to her issues.

Edited by Eureka
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

1. my shift key is broken so the only way i can capitalize is by turning caps lock and off, and that is a huge pita. please bear with me.

2. i tried to revise my previous post since i accidentally hit enter too early and my post makes me look like a total arse. but the revision wouldn't save.

3. i can't take stress mom for long i totally agree with dreadfulleigh.

4. i love love love kristen she seems like she tries so hard and has a great attitude. i hope college is going well for her.

5. the red headed teen, can't remember his name yet. i like that he tries to pass off his issues as not that big of a deal and it may seem like it to him, but, the therapist had a point that it is severe, in it's own way. i guess a sniffling tic is not as bad as a throwing or cursing tic, but, it's still stressful and when you try to hold it in you can make it worse. share your burden with your parents, that's what they are there for and they can't help you if they don't know.

i rarely watch live tv, preferring to dvr so i can go through commercials and binge watch all my dvr'd shows on the weekend. but, this show makes me want to watch live.

the young man with the army wife as a mother, who also has tourette's, may dislikeplaying cello so much, but, i can kind of see mom's point. the playing reduces his tics while he's playing. the focus he learns here may help him in other areas. i wonder of the percussion playing in band helps kristen, as well. she seems to love marching band. i wonder if she got into the band in college, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Watching Sam, the red haired teenage boy, and his ability to discuss his Tourettes, I think he would be a terrific motivational speaker. He could explain what Tourettes is to other high school students, and also mentor younger children with tourettes. I know he makes light of his tics, and tries very hard to hold them in, and I know he doesn't want attention at school for having a disability, because in his mind it is only an inconvenience, but now he is on national TV. Now is the time for him to use his feelings about what is going on with him, and his abilities, which seem strong, to help others to understand, and accept people with this disability.

Many years ago when I was teaching in an elementary school computer lab, I had a student with Tourettes. He was a nice little guy, and very bright, but one of his tics was licking his lips, and they were always chapped and sore looking. When I got him as a student, I did a lot of reading about this syndrome, and so much that I learned is being remembered and reinforced by this series.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

@Grammy6how wonderful that you took the time to learn about your student's condition. i know most educators care about their students and want the best for them, but, i can't see them all taking the time to read up on the condition. you are a blessing to your students. thank you for all you do.

i agree sam would make a great speaker. he really seems to think logically about his tourettes and how it affects him.

'

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/1/2018 at 2:22 PM, Eureka said:

So Charleehas an amended day at school, which means she must have an IEP or 504,right? Wouldnt she qualify for an aide who could head off some of the reasons she calls Mom so much? I dont mean the forgetting things but the actual issues related to her issues.

I would certainly think so, especially if they denied her previously for being an unacceptable risk for the school. To let her back in, some kind of IEP or 504 would seem prudent. Especially since she seems to have several additional dx to Tourettes. Something must qualify her for the IEP/504?? I forget what state shes in?

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

I would certainly think so, especially if they denied her previously for being an unacceptable risk for the school. To let her back in, some kind of IEP or 504 would seem prudent. Especially since she seems to have several additional dx to Tourettes. Something must qualify her for the IEP/504?? I forget what state shes in?

20 minutes ago, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

isn't she in chatanooga, tn

I think Louisiana.

Share this post


Link to post

Im kind of embarrassed to admit that Ididnt know, before watching this show that Tourettes syndrome was more then just yelling bad words at random. Ive been enjoying watching their stories,along with getting more information on Tourettes Syndrome.

So far the Mother with the boy who plays cello is the only one that annoys me. She just comes off as so pushy & overbearing, especially with the orchestra,the boy straight out said he didnt want to do it & shes trying to figure out why he has an attitude? .... well duh lady. Also the boy has moved around so much and is always the new kid,which Im sure it makes him nervous. I didnt like how she made him tell people Hi,my name is____,and I have Tourettes! Just let him use his name if thats what he wants.

I like how The Older boy (orange hair) doesnt want his TS to be his whole focus in life, but I do think he hides some of his true feelingsabout having TS from his mom so she doesnt worry about him.

Charlees mom said she Homeschools the little sister because she has social anxiety issues,but how does that help her deal with those issues later on in life? I was homeschooled from 7th gradeuntil graduation for those same thingsand to be honest it really made it worse for me, and hard to socialize with people & still does to this day even at 25 years old.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

My husband has Tourettes and is very similar to Sam (the redhead). His mom is in serious denial about his tics-saying most people wouldnt even know he had it...my husbands family was like this and it made him more uncomfortable. His mom wouldnt even take him to a dr because she said oh we thought he just liked Star Wars and making weird sounds. I do like that this show shows that having TS doesnt just make you a circus sideshow and its not just screaming curses all the time. My husband owns a successful business, has lots of friend, a wife, daughter, homeowner etc.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Real Housewife LI said:

His mom is in serious denial about his tics-saying most people wouldnt even know he had it...

This was especially highlighted when the doctor said its severe enough to consider treatment. The look on her face....

If I didnt know he had it and saw him even for a few minutes the way he was ticking in some of those scenes, I would think *something* was unusual, not right, whatever term you want to use. It does not sound like allergies to me, as the mom alleges.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/3/2018 at 3:00 AM, Hellohappylife said:

Im kind of embarrassed to admit that Ididnt know, before watching this show that Tourettes syndrome was more then just yelling bad words at random. Ive been enjoying watching their stories,along with getting more information on Tourettes Syndrome.

So far the Mother with the boy who plays cello is the only one that annoys me. She just comes off as so pushy & overbearing, especially with the orchestra,the boy straight out said he didnt want to do it & shes trying to figure out why he has an attitude? .... well duh lady. Also the boy has moved around so much and is always the new kid,which Im sure it makes him nervous. I didnt like how she made him tell people Hi,my name is____,and I have Tourettes! Just let him use his name if thats what he wants.

I like how The Older boy (orange hair) doesnt want his TS to be his whole focus in life, but I do think he hides some of his true feelingsabout having TS from his mom so she doesnt worry about him.

Charlees mom said she Homeschools the little sister because she has social anxiety issues,but how does that help her deal with those issues later on in life? I was homeschooled from 7th gradeuntil graduation for those same thingsand to be honest it really made it worse for me, and hard to socialize with people & still does to this day even at 25 years old.

The orchestra boy reminds of a kidI used to know. His mom taught music lesson (privately) and basically forced him into private lessons, private lesson at school and orchestra playing the violin. He hated it. And it triggered the shit out of his ASD, but the saddest thing was, he really liked playing the violin. It was all the pressure and requirements from his mom that was making him hate it. Hed talk about never wanting to play it again. Sad.

The red headed boy, while I can appreciate not making his whole identity about Tourettes, he and and his family have swung completely the other way. Luckily he doesnt have any physical ticsthat could hurt him or others, but denying their impact on him simply because theyre easily disguised makes me worrried for his future mental health. If something happens and a tic does affect some situation he is in, I worry his entire self-image will crumble since hes built it around the idea that his tics are a small, inconsequential speck unrelated to his identity. On the either hand, ignoring it isnt like other dx that will/might physically cause him harm by not addressing it (at least in his particular case of Tourettes) but the mental impact shouldnt be discounted either.

What if your kid had a limp, for whatever reason. You raised him the same as his siblings. Never treated him anydifferent from them. Which isnt terrible. But never talked about or acknowledged the affect this limpmight have on him. So he grows up being told he can do anything anyone else can do. Fine. Maybe he can. But he grows up, goes out into the real world. People make instant judgements about his ability.Maybe people stare and comment. Maybe people are assholes and make mean remarks. Maybe the jobs is applies for dont hire him because they think he cant do the physical burden ofthe job. Maybe he gets passed up for a raise and new position for the same reason. All of these are really shitty situations to face and wecan say oh, people shouldnt be suchassholes but he still wonthave beentaught the skills to call out the assholes making fun of him,or explain to his boss that he can do X job no problems or advocate for himself for additional accommodations to succeed, etc etc etc.

I was a bit surprise just how surprised his mom was at the degree of his Tourettes. You can still acknowledge the dx and empower your child and advocate for them and teach them to advocate for themselves without making the dx the cornerstone of their identity.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I also noted that Sam got into bodybuilding.....my husband is a naturally abnormally muscular big guy....like John Cena big....he also got into bodybuilding...not doing shows. Because that attention would freak him out..but he knew that being big offered him a source of protection from bullies, assholes talking etc. Yet people still do and say stupid crap. We were on a flight with our daughter who was 5 at the time & he was a few rookie ahead of us walking up the aisle. 2 jerks sitting start pointing at his back...hey hey look at the dude with Tourettes....they shut up real quick when i said ya and this is that dudes wife and daughter so you might want to shut the hell up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Little Kaden and his cello really tug at my heartstrings. Bless his heart, he tries so hard and seems so sweet and sensitive. I cannot stand his mom, Kate. Bring it down a notch or 10, woman. Also, unless I misheard him, herboyfriend made a couple of disparaging remarks about both Kate and Kadens tics. He referred to Kates tapping of her glasses as driving him crazy and said that Kadens tic-laugh soundedmaniacal. I didnt like that at all.

This is a pretty good show overall. It was nice to learn more about this condition.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I liked how they ended the season (very short season) with a positive arc for all of them: new car, graduation, acting/headshots, motivational speaking, orchestra concert. Although, I kind of feel like we didn't get as much "character development" if you know what I mean, with Charlee and Sam. It seemed a little abrupt with them. Wonder if it will come back next year with the same kids or new ones.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×