Athena

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

From a contest to invent books:  "Drilling for Quicksilver" by Hg Wells.

• Like 1

My brain kind of simultaneously said Isaac Asimov, Jules Verne, and HG Wells, then I ruled out the first two (too young, too French).

There was a surprising TS, which I forgot the instant I deleted the episode from my DVR... sigh.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Fex said:

There was a surprising TS, which I forgot the instant I deleted the episode from my DVR... sigh.

Gaza Strip?  Neonatal?  Humane, as the next clue in the animals category (not even a guess, with the not "Society" clue within the clue)?  Speedy (trial)?  Norton (Anthology)?  Rotor(craft)?  The Maine?  Desert Inn?  Flemish? 

I know that's not even all of them; the contestants were frequently stumped tonight, and many of them were surprising.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I couldn't come up with Wells, despite (in high school, with my best friend) always quoting from that movie: "My name is H.G. Wells. I came here in a time machine of my own construction. I am pursuing Jack the Ripper."

As a former bead weaver, I was hoping Amanda would have a long run so I could see more of her work.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Brookside said:

It's sad that none of them knew the runcible spoon clue.

Well, the third person to guess did answer spoon, this because she heard me shouting through the airwaves.

You're welcome.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Gaza Strip?  Neonatal?  Humane, as the next clue in the animals category (not even a guess, with the not "Society" clue within the clue)?  Speedy (trial)?  Norton (Anthology)?  Rotor(craft)?  The Maine?  Desert Inn?  Flemish? 

I know that's not even all of them; the contestants were frequently stumped tonight, and many of them were surprising.

Flemish! Thank you. You're right, there were a few surprising ts, but Flemish really stood out to me. The Netherlands doesn't have that many borders!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Fex said:

Flemish! Thank you. You're right, there were a few surprising ts, but Flemish really stood out to me. The Netherlands doesn't have that many borders!

I thought speedy was the surprising TS. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, teebax said:

I thought speedy was the surprising TS. 

Me too.  I was expecting a three-way battle to ring in on that one and couldn't understand why no one was, lol.

I was brought up on The Owl and the Pussycat, so runcible spoon was an insta-get for me.  Although I was thinking, "Ogden Nash, people. Ogden Nash!" when it was Edward Lear.

HG Wells was the only pre-1900 sci fi writer I could think of.  No judgment on the answers they gave, but I was surprised no one got it right.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Brookside said:

It's sad that none of them knew the runcible spoon clue.

And another tragic signature, DouG.

I knew it only because there was a restaurant/coffee house with that name in the town where I went to college

And also just by the process of elimination, only so many eating utensils there are to guess

Knew FJ.  Mostly based on the year. 

Asimov is not only the wrong century but the wrong nationality, but I am sure she was just guessing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mojoween said:

H.P. Lovecraft was my immediate first thought for FJ and I don’t even know if he was British or how old he was.

I said Lovecraft too - despite the fact I knew it was wrong. Wells didn't come to my mind, though he should have. I figure it was like a Google search, my brain typed "H." and in finished it with "G. Lovecraft"

12 hours ago, teebax said:

I did have neonatal, humane, speedy, lyre, Gaza strip, the Maine, and Punic Wars.

I never remember the Punic Wars. I always go for the other "P" war. sigh.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I love that poem. In college I created a 3D boat (pea green, of course) holding an owl and cat, and the poem was on the sail. (Art college guys)

Glad you added that end comment. 😉

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instead of rotorcraft, my brain went to whirlybird.

Whirlybird! That is a word from my past. "But Daddy, Whirlybird is on!"

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I said Lovecraft too - despite the fact I knew it was wrong. Wells didn't come to my mind, though he should have. I figure it was like a Google search, my brain typed "H." and in finished it with "G. Lovecraft

😄 Our brains are being infected with tech. It's a virus. This is how the computers take over the world.

• Laugh 1

So many really easy questions last night.  Like, what does AI stand for. 

My ts's were speedy, Lebanon, Maine, and Desert.  I said autogyro for the helicopter question.

I knew FJ was the person who wrote The Time Machine but it took a couple more seconds to get H. G. Wells.

On ‎02‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:10 PM, saber5055 said:

Is Trebek the only human in the United States who has never heard of nor knows how to pronounce Livonia, that city in Michigan? Good god, I couldn't even recognize what city he was talking about until the player said it correctly.

No.  I'd never heard of the city before.