Athena

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

3 hours ago, secnarf said:

@teebax Can you spoiler-tag your post? It's before 7pm eastern time so has to be tagged.

It ruined FJ for me.

Mea culpa. We don't change our clocks and I realized it right after I posted it. I'm very sorry. I deleted it within a minute of posting it, but you'd already seen my post. 

• Like 3

I got Tainted Love, milkshake duck (which I learned about only recently), Snopes, Syriana, and the DD of The Bluest Eye.

I could not recall 'Francis.'

The only trench I could think of was the Marianas, but I knew that was wrong.

• Like 1

I love that there was a category about alliterative people when 2 of the players had alliterative names. Liked all of the contestants -again!- but was rooting for Kathryn since she reminds me of my Aunt Lynne. 

TS I got were Tainted Love; Pearl Buck; Mercury; Syriana; Frances; Pluto. Chile was instaget for FJ, and because through a series of events I recently (re?)learned that Peru is Chile's neighbor to the north, I got both right. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Not paying attention to the clue, I mistook Daniel Webster for William Jennings Bryan.

I got Webster (because for "speech" I always say Webster unless it's clearly Lincoln). But I couldn't stop staring at the photo and thinking "does he have eyeliner under his eyes?" The lines were so perfectly black.

I would have gotten Syriana if I'd realized what the clue was - which is what I'll keep telling myself because it's not like I got all that many of them once I realized what it was. I did, however, rock at the alliterative people category. :)

Ah, these new job titles (showing my age). It sounds like he's what we used to call a project manager. But scrum is much cooler, I guess.

For FJ, I waffled between Peru and Ecuador.  Settled for Ecuador.  D'oh!

I got Pearl S. Buck - if it's missionaries in China, it's her.  Also got Syriana, without realizing the category name, because I loved that movie.  Also got Mercury, The Bluest Eye and Tainted Love.  Knew Frances, but couldn't come up with it in time.

Edited by proserpina65

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

got Webster (because for "speech" I always say Webster unless it's clearly Lincoln). But I couldn't stop staring at the photo and thinking "does he have eyeliner under his eyes?" The lines were so perfectly black.

He looks like some fire-and-brimstone New England preacher. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Ah, these new job titles (showing my age). It sounds like he's what we used to call a project manager. But scrum is much cooler, I guess.

All I could think of was rugby scrum. Unions coined a job title, "scab." That's sort of like a scrum too.

Kudos to Jon for a game well played. I felt badly he didn't have enough time to finish writing Peru, but it's good that even if he had, he still would have been in third. Knowing the answer, running out of time and killing your chance of remaining champ would have been too much for me to live with. Cliff Clavin.

I also like how he immediately went to shake hands and congratulate Kathryn at the end of the game. That's seldom seen. Players are probably told to stay put, but I liked his enthusiasm and good grace. You can tell him, @Matt76, that he was a good player, and congratulations on adding Jeopardy Champion to his resumé. Plus he didn't get ranked on here, so BIG bonus!

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

All I could think of was rugby scrum. Unions coined a job title, "scab." That's sort of like a scrum too.

Huh, I thought "scab" referred to a non-union worker who would work during strikes. Never knew it was a job title.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Huh, I thought "scab" referred to a non-union worker who would work during strikes. Never knew it was a job title.

You are correct. Me saying union workers call it a "job title" was my weak attempt at sarcasm/humor.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I got Pearl S. Buck - if it's missionaries in China, it's her.  

Exactly!

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Kudos to Jon for a game well played. I felt badly he didn't have enough time to finish writing Peru, but it's good that even if he had, he still would have been in third. Knowing the answer, running out of time and killing your chance of remaining champ would have been too much for me to live with. Cliff Clavin.

I also like how he immediately went to shake hands and congratulate Kathryn at the end of the game. That's seldom seen. Players are probably told to stay put, but I liked his enthusiasm and good grace. You can tell him, @Matt76, that he was a good player, and congratulations on adding Jeopardy Champion to his resumé. Plus he didn't get ranked on here, so BIG bonus!

We thought of rugby scrum too. I agree with you about Jon's sportsmanship at the end of the game. Nice to see! 

• Like 2

Just binge-watched on my lunch break. Got Only FJ-Downing for Monday, Fishing rights, Lincoln and Douglas, FJ-Dred Scott for Tuesday, One Day at a Time, John Carpenter, Tennessee, Perkins, prologue, FJ-Sicily for Wednesday, and Pearl Buck, The Bluest Eye, Syriana, Pluto, FJ-Chile and Paraguay (wrong, so so wrong-my first miss in 3 1/2 weeks!) for yesterday. 

I really need to study up on South American and African geography. 

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

You are correct. Me saying union workers call it a "job title" was my weak attempt at sarcasm/humor.

Sorry. I guess today was my "literal" day. Sometimes I get it, and sometimes I don't.

• Like 1

I thought the board was easier than usual today. I had Baywatch, Wonder, Three Times A Lady, Two Princes, and Gulf of Finland.

I said JK Rowling immediately for FJ and was surprised they didn't all get it. The Bill Gates guess by Greg was strange. I guess he focused on the billionaire part and forgot the category?

Not that it mattered in the end, but Kathryn's FJ bet was way too high. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, teebax said:

I said JK Rowling immediately for FJ and was surprised they didn't all get it.

I said "That British woman, you know, Harry Potter, um, um, JK something, maybe..."

I was glad Alex pointed out that number category, where the responses went from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 - great example for why you should go through a category in order.

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I was glad Alex pointed out that number category, where the responses went from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 - great example for why you should go through a category in order.

My mother figured it out by the third one!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, teebax said:

The Bill Gates guess by Greg was strange. I guess he focused on the billionaire part and forgot the category?

It was no more strange than any other wild-ass guess at FJ by any player who is grabbing at straws and by the odd chance just might MIGHT be correct. He even knew it was wrong and made that clear if you were watching his reaction. But hey, "Gates" was not as strange as my guess of "Lesbos" for the Italian island yesterday.

So I pose my question again: Is it better to leave your FJ slate blank if you don't know it or take a wild guess and be mocked forever online? You decide. Me, I vote wild-ass guess.

40 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I take each clue by itself with no reference to any clue above or below it, so the writers' cleverness was lost on me.

26 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I can’t believe two of them missed FJ!

And I can't believe I finally knew a FJ this week, bringing my FJ score up to ONE for the week.

• Like 6

I did okay today, getting Ready Player One, Three Times a Lady, Gulf of Finland, and FJ-JK Rowling. I did briefly consider Clancy, but given his conservative nature, I changed to JKR. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Me, I vote wild-ass guess

Me too. I’m amazed at how many I get right because somewhere in my brain the correct synapses fired. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, teebax said:

The Bill Gates guess by Greg was strange. I guess he focused on the billionaire part and forgot the category?

I think Bill Gates has written a book, hasn't he? Obviously he's not known primarily for being an author,  but it makes the guess less wild.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I take each clue by itself with no reference to any clue above or below it, so the writers' cleverness was lost on me.

Many times clues do build on one another going down the category.  Not usually as obvious as this one, but a lot of times it helps to have revealed the top clues first, which is why board-jumping can be a bad strategy

28 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

I did briefly consider Clancy

I don't remember now if it had a time period on the clue, but Clancy died 5 years ago.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I can’t believe two of them missed FJ! Heh if the new champ hadn’t gotten it right, I might have thrown something at the tv. 

I was kinda hoping they'd all get it wrong so I could gloat with my asterisk!

The only TS I got was Wonder.

I was happy to see James win since he seemed so sharp, for the most part.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was kinda hoping they'd all get it wrong so I could gloat with my asterisk!

This is the best post I've read for weeks, @peeayebee. Well done. And thanks for the laugh.

If I ask you what Bill Gates does for a living you would not say "author," which was the FJ category. I stand by my assertion it was a strange response. I'm not mocking him, for crying out loud. I'm pointing out that it was a strange response for that category. 

• Like 6

Catching up for the week.

Tuesday: No show for me (not even late night, boo hiss!), but I did find FJ online and got it right.

Wednesday: I got One Day at a Time and John Carpenter. FJ was a lucky guess.

Thursday: My only TS was Tainted Love (loved that song back in the day).  I managed to come up with Chile for FJ, but blanked on the other country.

Friday: I got Wonder (love), Three Times a Lady, and Gulf of Alaska.  My first thought for FJ was Grisham, then Patterson, then the duh moment, and I came up with Rowling.

I haven't been particularly excited by any of the champs this week.

• Like 3

Friday's TS I got were Ready Player One, cyanide, Gulf of St. Lawrence, Two Princes, Gulf of Finland, Gulf of Oman (full disclosure: got it after Persian Gulf was deemed incorrect). I fully expected the answer to FJ to be a male author since there was no "Woman" qualifier, and I was stumped for 1/2 a second before getting JK Rowling. 

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

So I pose my question again: Is it better to leave your FJ slate blank if you don't know it or take a wild guess and be mocked forever online? You decide. Me, I vote wild-ass guess.

Wild-ass guess, most definitely. 

14 hours ago, lb60 said:

I haven't been particularly excited by any of the champs this week.

I think they've all been one-and-done, so we didn't get to "know" any of them.  

• Like 6

Just now, Toothbrush said:

blank if you don't know it or take a wild guess

I remember, way back in the early days (like, Season 5 or something), they needed to come up with a person who whatever and one contestant wrote "Who is Smith?", just picking a common surname, rather than leave it blank. Turns out, "Smith" was indeed the last name of the person they were going for and he got credit for it and I believe became champ. So, always put something, since "blank" is definitely wrong and you might get lucky!

• Like 7

For FJ, I said Stephen King only because he’s such a prolific writer. He and his wife have a charitable foundation where they give away millions  each year.

He was also on Celebrity Jeopardy  in 1995.

I thought of Rowling, but thought King would be wealthier.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, bythelake said:

For FJ, I said Stephen King only because he’s such a prolific writer. He and his wife have a charitable foundation where they give away millions  each year.

He was also on Celebrity Jeopardy  in 1995.

I thought of Rowling, but thought King would be wealthier.

King's getting wealthier by the minute with so many new takes on his works on tv and in the movies, but Rowling tapped the kids market - which included a s**t-ton of product merchandising. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

King's getting wealthier by the minute with so many new takes on his works on tv and in the movies, but Rowling tapped the kids market - which included a s**t-ton of product merchandising. 

Also selling rights so that a Harry Potter area could be built at Disney. Judging by the lines it’s a big money draw. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Also selling rights so that a Harry Potter area could be built at Disney. Judging by the lines it’s a big money draw. 

Universal Studios, actually. As a parent to 3 HP fans, I shudder to think how much money I’ve dropped there. But then FJ was also an insta-get for me, so there’s that.

• Like 5

I said Stephen King on the final, too, then said, "Wait!  It must be J. K. Rowling since they haven't had a Harry Potter question this whole game."  I hate their HP fixation.  It gets more questions than Shakespeare.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Abstract said:

Universal Studios, actually. As a parent to 3 HP fans, I shudder to think how much money I’ve dropped there. But then FJ was also an insta-get for me, so there’s that.

Thank you for the correction. 

Here's a list from a year ago of richest authors, though not all acquired their wealth thru writing.

1. Rowling - $1 B
  2. James Patterson - $750 M
  3. Candy Spelling - $600 M (wife of Aaron Spelling)
  4. Paulo Coelho - $500 M 
  5. Stephen King - $400 M
  6. Danielle Steel - $385 M
  7. Nora Roberts - $370 M
  8. Pleasant Rowland - $310 M (creator of American Girl brand)
  9. Barbara Raylor Bradford - $300 M
  10. John Grisham - $300 M
  • Like 7

Yeah several people in my family guessed Patterson but he is kind of a fame whoring asshole so if he gave that much away he would never shut up about it. 

• Like 5

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, teebax said:

I thought the board was easier than usual today. I had Baywatch, Wonder, Three Times A Lady, Two Princes, and Gulf of Finland.

I said JK Rowling immediately for FJ and was surprised they didn't all get it. The Bill Gates guess by Greg was strange. I guess he focused on the billionaire part and forgot the category?

Not that it mattered in the end, but Kathryn's FJ bet was way too high. 

I got Three Times A Lady, Two Princes and the Gulf of Finland.  Should've gotten JK Rowling, but couldn't come up with anything.

• Like 3

Do you have Jeopardy related new year's resolutions?  I guessed Stephen King.  Maybe I didn't expect they would have a woman in a general Authors category, and I'm not much of a Harry Potter fan.  Gotta work on both of those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Driad said:

Do you have Jeopardy related new year's resolutions? 

Mine should be read more Shakespeare, listen to opera and study The Bible For Dummies. But I won't. I'd like to say my resolution is to see Hamilton, but I can't afford it. *sigh* So I guess my 2019 resolution is to Try Not To Be Hopeless.

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 5

Was it Friday when a woman player said she couldn't watch Jeopardy in the summer when the trees were in leaf, it would only come in during winter when leaves fell. And Trebek told her to get an antenna and she said that's what she had? Finally, someone who understands my life. I'm still hoping to be able to get PBS again, it left in spring, as did the two Fox channels. And pretty much all the channels leave when the wind blows. Which it never does on the tundra in winter ... /sarcasm/

• Like 4

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Was it Friday when a woman player said she couldn't watch Jeopardy in the summer when the trees were in leaf, it would only come in during winter when leaves fell. And Trebek told her to get an antenna and she said that's what she had? Finally, someone who understands my life. I'm still hoping to be able to get PBS again, it left in spring, as did the two Fox channels. And pretty much all the channels leave when the wind blows. Which it never does on the tundra in winter ... /sarcasm/

I thought of you! 

I have no Jeopardy resolution for 2019, but learning new things is always good. Pretty sure @teebax has one ;-)

• Like 6

I know everyone's knowledge base is different but I'm surprised only one person got FJ. To me it was obvious because she was the It Girl so recently and you couldn't avoid hearing about her if you tried :-P

• Like 2

I always flub Oscars FJ! despite a B.A. in Film Studies.  But tonight I got it!  Can’t stand the new champ.

• Like 2

I got FJ also! 

I also saw Benedict’s Hamlet! But just got the tickets online. 

Ha! A Jeopardy question about Embiggins. But it’s a perfectly cromulent word. 

• Like 8

Okay one last rant for the year from a perturbed but proud Son of the Desert- learn some basic Laurel and Hardy people! 🤣

Seriously Happy New Year everyone - you all have brightened my 2018 and I look forward to 2019 with you too.  

• Like 7