Drogo

S02.E04: Family Ties

20 hours ago, Kangatush said:

Speaking of things being producer driven...  I've been thinking of Jon and Lucy.  I am in no way saying there's anything improper (I think the board can be quick to jump that way), but the whole thing is weird.  Not his kid and he's only known her through Skype and pictures, but he loves her?  I know it doesn't take blood to have love, but it usually takes proximity.  And not wanting her to call him dad?  What should she call him, Jon?  Like that won't make her ask questions.  To me, fathers give you biological life, dads raise you.  Sometimes they're the same man, some times they aren't.

If he becomes her stepdad, she absolutely should call him dad.  I think people were saying that it was early for Rachel to be having the "dad" talk with Jon when it was only her second day knowing him "in person."  I'd be totally freaked out if I was single and dating a guy with a kid who was expected to call me "mom" before we had decided to commit to marriage.

There are kids who call their stepparents by their first names, but that is usually when the biological dad or mom is still in the picture.  I call my stepmother by my first name because my biological mother died.  I care for her, but she's not my mother and didn't raise me as a young child. 

• Like 5

Tarik probably spent the only 2 weeks he had online with Hazel (before deciding to go meet her in Manila) just asking her for sexy pictures so he can fantasize or masturbate.  He probably never asked her about her religion, her likes, her dreams, etc..... and taking the time to get to know her properly.  Then, these stupid people are in shock when they discover a whole different truth when they finally meet the foreign lady. He was driven by his dick.  But no worries for him, he is going to be accepted by Hazel and her family because these people have 2 religions; Christianity and the mighty American dollar!

Edited by Eric
  • Like 7

One word on the fanny packs... I have never understood why the hate on them? it is just a bag for Christ sake!... Sneakers with velcros I can understand but fanny packs? while traveling? c'mon now. They are super practical when traveling.  And they are in vogue now, I just bought one 2 weeks ago, from Nike. They are cool as fuck!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Eric said:

One word on the fanny packs... I have never understood why the hate on them? it is just a bag for Christ sake!... Sneakers with velcros I can understand but fanny packs? while traveling? c'mon now. They are super practical when traveling.  And they are in vogue now, I just bought one 2 weeks ago, from Nike. They are cool as fuck!

I always use fanny packs when traveling.  For nonessentials. For ID card and cash I use what a travel pouch that I purchased in Germany. Some European travelers use them.  It has a rawhide strap and you can tie it around your neck and put the pouch inside your shirt or tie around your waist and put it inside your pants. They are very handy. 

Ricky is a pick pockets dream in his. They come up and slice those off and run. I saw it happen in Romania.

• Like 5

On 8/27/2018 at 12:27 PM, Dobian said:

I thought Darcey's sister looked better than Darcey.  Her face was natural and pretty while Darcey looks like she's had work done and has that stretched look.  It looked to me like the producer was trying to suggest a threeway between Jessie and the twins the way she kept pressing him wanting to spend time with the three of them together, lol.  I have to wonder what TLC tells these people they can and can't say in their conversations.  I've noticed on this and the other show where the couples have been on multiple seasons and been together in tell-alls, that they never reference what they have obviously watched of each other on the aired episodes.  They always act like these things are being revealed to them for the first time.  Surely Stacey watched season one and is well aware of Jessie's behavior, but seems to speak like her only knowledge of Jessie and Darcey's relationship with each other is what she saw firsthand at the restaurant.

It almost seemed like Stacey was trying to upstage and compete with Darcey by demonstrating to Jesse that she was independent and confident.  Stacey was trying to come off as the Darcey upgrade, everything Jesse wanted Darcey to be. She looked and sounded like Darcey only more confident and less clingy. Stacey wanted Jesse to walk away from the dinner feeling as though he had picked the wrong sister.

Stacey has the sense not to be clingy until after the wedding.

• Like 8

On 8/29/2018 at 6:54 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Yes, Ricky Ticky Tavi is rockin' the Fanny Pack like a dad!  However, I too am rockin' the fanny pack, it's a Kate Spade so I thought is was acceptable, it comes in handy when I need my hands free for shopping or like this past Sunday when I was watching my daughter run a 10k in Philadelphia.  My hands were free to film her and yell awkwardly "Go! Don't stop!" like a complete dufus.

Pick pockets abound in most cities, I think the FP was a secure way to keep his money safe while he toured the city by himself.  

I prefer a waist wallet. It's flat and can be worn under the shirt, undetected. And, pick pockets can't get at it. 

Fanny Packs are easy game. They just take a tiny knife and slip it open. These thieves have practiced doing it thousands of times before they go out and practice their trade and they are very adept at what they are doing. They are highly skilled and trained.  They can empty a fanny pack with surgical precision and the tourist won't even notice.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Tarik probably spent the only 2 weeks he had online with Hazel (before deciding to go meet her in Manila) just asking her for sexy pictures so he can fantasize or masturbate.  He probably never asked her about her religion, her likes, her dreams, etc..... and taking the time to get to know her properly.  Then, these stupid people are in shock when they discover a whole different truth when they finally meet the foreign lady. He was driven by his dick. 

"She is super religious?  WOW!"  You know that is a question a lot of people get out of the way, especially if there is a chance of having kids together.  They arrive and act all honorable when in reality he probably has been jacking off to her, nightly.  Then he put off as she doesn't want to get busy the first night?  Tarik, Tarik, Tarik......

Jesse and Darcy can't ride in a friggin' taxi from NYC to CT without a major argument, tears, crying and hurt feelings over.......wait for it......an elbow.  Jesus Mary and Joseph Jesse, all Darcy said was "I am moving over, I am getting poked by your elbow."  Jesse went into a mild rage that was scary, like scary fast and just plain weird.  "Good Lord there is NO PLEASING YOU!!!"  Jesse, most men want their girl to be, oh I don't know......comfortable?  And not take it as an affront to them.  Then later he blamed HER:  "You make me so mad, you make me angry!!"  Classic abuser shit right there - it is all the other person's fault.

Per the whole "Let's call Jon Daddy!!!"  Rachel, SLOW YOUR ROLL.  It bugs me when people have this agenda in their head then get pouty when the other person balks.  I have been remarried for almost a year and my kids call my hubby by their first name.  He didn't raise them, takes zero credit for any of it (wise man!) and frankly it never occurred to me to ask them to call him anything BUT his first name.  Not any derivative of Dad, Papa, nothing.  Rachel, get married, let things spring organically and let Lucy take the lead.  Trust me on this one!!!

PS - Dang if that Lucy is not the cutest baby ever.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Like 8

I’m not sure Hazel herself is super religious, just that her parents are. I also don’t think her hair is long for religious reasons and just because we’ve only seen her wearing dresses, for meeting Tarik and to attend church, doesn’t mean she dresses Duggar Conservative. After all her relative said, “You look sexy, bitch!” when she came out in the red dress. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I’m not sure Hazel herself is super religious, just that her parents are. I also don’t think her hair is long for religious reasons and just because we’ve only seen her wearing dresses, for meeting Tarik and to attend church, doesn’t mean she dresses Duggar Conservative. After all her relative said, “You look sexy, bitch!” when she came out in the red dress. 

True - but will she be able to go against the grain and get with a guy that identifies as non religious?  That is a BIG deal to many parents, no matter what country they are from.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, magemaud said:

She is an unwed mommy so doubt she is super religious. Her parents likely came down on her hard and marrying the rich American and supporting her family is a shot at redemption.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sainte-chapelle said:

She is an unwed mommy so doubt she is super religious. Her parents likely came down on her hard and marrying the rich American and supporting her family is a shot at redemption.

I need to pay better attention - I missed that!!  I was so focused on that fanny pack......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

I prefer a waist wallet. It's flat and can be worn under the shirt, undetected. And, pick pockets can't get at it. 

Fanny Packs are easy game. They just take a tiny knife and slip it open. These thieves have practiced doing it thousands of times before they go out and practice their trade and they are very adept at what they are doing. They are highly skilled and trained.  They can empty a fanny pack with surgical precision and the tourist won't even notice.

Yup, fanny packs are in no way secure when wandering around areas that pickpockets frequent.

• Like 1

Yes, Hazel said in a TH that she has a 6 year old who lives with his father's family, but what we don't know at this point is whether Tarik knows about the boy (or if Hazel knows about Tarik's daughter for that matter) 

edited to add: Maybe Hazel’s parents won’t care too much about Tarik’s religious preferences once she starts sending his money back home to the Philippines. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 4

Hazel seems to be only religious when she is around her parents.  she was probably kicked out from the flock when she got pregnant  I think her parents care more that he can provide her and them a better life and that he's not anti God.  Like I said before, if she marries him and goes to the US, she may be lonely and be drawn to churches she is more familiar with for fellowship and familiarity and may want TicTock to attend with her.

Edited by doyouevengohere
  • Like 4

On 8/29/2018 at 7:48 AM, LocalGovt said:

She can't say she's pregnant, otherwise he'd "know." So she does the  next best thing: pushes him to start a family, and after he agrees, she "magically" becomes pregnant. And her - and Paul's -  baby is born very premature.

Like Phaedra Parks

• Like 3

Paying more attention to the extended episode tonight. In the supermarket scene, Paul and Karine are both wearing gold rings on their left hands and Karine is wearing a loose peplum type top and is only filmed from certain angles that would disguise a baby bump. 

Edited to add: of course we could all be "played" by production to fuel speculation and interest that Karine is pregnant with someone else's baby. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 7

On 8/29/2018 at 11:24 AM, usernameG said:

They are making a come back. Some brands now refer to them now as "belt bags".

No!

On 8/29/2018 at 12:23 PM, greekmom said:

All this fanny pack discussion has me thinking the only acceptable way to wear a fanny pack is below:

rock fanny pack.jpg

Noooooo!

On 8/30/2018 at 6:46 PM, Eric said:

.. Sneakers with velcros I can understand but fanny packs? while traveling? c'mon now. They are super practical when traveling.  And they are in vogue now, I just bought one 2 weeks ago, from Nike. They are cool as fuck!

No!

Europeans still eat pizza with a fork and knife.

Funny, but in Italy Thin pizza is always handed to you unsliced and you work your way through it with a fork and knife. In Roma, small takeout places serve thick pizza by the kilo. It is amazing, and you walk along eating it with your hands

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

No!

Noooooo!

No!

Europeans still eat pizza with a fork and knife.

Funny, but in Italy Thin pizza is always handed to you unsliced and you work your way through it with a fork and knife. In Roma, small takeout places serve thick pizza by the kilo. It is amazing, and you walk along eating it with your hands

AHaha! I don't know...To me, the turtle neck...tucked in!...and the necklace on top of the shirt are more tacky than the fanny pack itself!

• Like 4

On 8/28/2018 at 5:00 PM, gonecrackers said:

I noticed when they got to the hotel she mentioned having to use another card, or two cards & I was thinking, is she trying to angle him to contribute, because that won't be happening.

Wasn't Angela the one who was on the phone with her guy while at the airport and he was giving her a hard time about not getting the amount of money from her that he asked for? She told him she didn't have that much right then because some unexpected expenses had come up. It seemed he was giving her a very hard time. I'd forgotten about that incident.

Edited by renatae

1 minute ago, renatae said:

Wasn't she the one who was on the phone with her guy while at the airport and he was giving her a hard time about not getting the amount of money from her that he asked for? She told him she didn't have that much right then because some unexpected expenses had come up. It seemed he was giving her a very hard time. I'd forgotten about that incident.

Wasn't that Nicole and Azan from last season?  She was trying to board with multiple carry-ons and her little girl, but was having to calm him down on the phone because he was angry that she hadn't sent as much money as he expected.

• Like 11

On 8/30/2018 at 8:39 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Per the whole "Let's call Jon Daddy!!!"  Rachel, SLOW YOUR ROLL. 

This. Rachel's entire attitude bugs me in a way no other couple on this show has. First if all, I get it that it is 2018, but she started talking with Jon, then got pregnant by another man, then continued talking and falling in love with jon during her pregnancy and thereafter... she just didnt seem embarrassed at all. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I just dont think that pregnancy is the time in a womans life where she should start dating and pursuing love interests. It also irked me how she basically fast forwarded their relationship to old married couple status basically the day they met , and how she was so excited for him to change Lucy's diapers and give her a bath. Did we forget to mention he has a criminal record for assault ?! Yes they chatted for like 2 years but had literally just met the man yesterday and she entrusted him to go check on her baby who was, by the way, sleeping on a different FLOOR in a strange house in a foreign country. I hate judging these people but i am just glad that there is a camera crew there. 

Edited by Lily247
  • Like 11

On 8/30/2018 at 7:39 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Per the whole "Let's call Jon Daddy!!!"  Rachel, SLOW YOUR ROLL.  It bugs me when people have this agenda in their head then get pouty when the other person balks. 

Exactly this. Whether or not calling Jon daddy will have any effect on Lucy, the fact is Jon doesn't feel comfortable with it. That's his prerogative, end of story. If he changes his mind in the future, that's his decision to make, no one else's. Rachel, like a lot of people on this show, is delusional and selfish - you can't force a title on someone that they don't want. Same thing with ditzy Darcey and referring to Jesse as her kids step-dad. If all parties eventually arrive at the conclusion that "dad" is the term to be used and everyone is comfortable with that, then fine. Till then, chill. I can't imagine a boyfriend wanting his child to call me "mom" 24 hours after meeting him or her, and I'd be hella pissed if he pouted and whined about it. 

• Like 3

I have been thinking about this post for awhile. I am part of the BBW (Big Beautiful Women) Community. I am also a Las Vegas performer. I call myself a z list celebrity. There is a documentary the comes on last night on TLC that I am featured in. (that's all Im giving away) 

I have worked on a few reality tv shows. I have found that usually there is very little producer driven.  A flat fee is paid and things going on in the scenes like dinners, vacations, wedding dresses etc is not paid by production.

Now being a BBW, here is an interesting thing. When I spend any time online I am "hit Up" by many men from other countries. I think they look for larger women thinking we are lonely,  One of the first things they tell you is "I Love You" I can see how these women cling to that. (Angela, Danielle, Nicole) I always felt like these men are just fishing. Then they get shocked like Azan when one of them takes the bate.

• Like 4

On 8/29/2018 at 7:25 PM, Kangatush said:

Speaking of things being producer driven...  I've been thinking of Jon and Lucy.  I am in no way saying there's anything improper (I think the board can be quick to jump that way), but the whole thing is weird.  Not his kid and he's only known her through Skype and pictures, but he loves her?  I know it doesn't take blood to have love, but it usually takes proximity.  And not wanting her to call him dad?  What should she call him, Jon?  Like that won't make her ask questions.  To me, fathers give you biological life, dads raise you.  Sometimes they're the same man, some times they aren't.

This has puzzled me, too. He has been long distance gushing all over her since she was born, paying for her daycare, planning for life with her and her mother and pretty much acting as though he can hardly wait until they are a family. Now he decides he doesn't want her to call him daddy? I can see waiting until they are actually married for that, but he sounds like he doesn't ever want her to call him that. I'm with you; I think that would be super confusing to her. Wondering if this is a symptom of him being uncertain he wants to go through with the marriage.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 1:24 PM, Bridget said:

I’m 99.9% certain that Hazel’s family belongs to a Pentecostal congregation, hence the long hair, the long service and its format. 

The sign that was displayed outside of the church Hazel went to read “UPC”, which stands for United Pentecostal Church. 

Kudos to the person who mentioned upthread that it was probably a Pentecostal service. (Was that you, @Pepper Mostly?) 

Once I saw Hazel’s crazy long hair, along with the previews for the service, that was my automatic assumption: it was a Pentecostal service. We’ve only seen her in dresses as well, which is another sign that she is a member of that particular faith. 

According to everyone’s favorite doc, WebMD, “There are a wide range of conditions that can bring on hair loss, with some of the most common being pregnancy, thyroid disorders, and anemia.“ 

Harpers’s Bazaar also has a great article on women’s hair loss. https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/beauty/hair/news/a41274/why-is-my-hair-falling-out/

The following examples are some of the reasons that contribute heavily to the loss of hair in females, which explains Hazel’s thinning hair:

-overuse of heat tools

-overuse of hair color

-frequent hair brushing

-extreme heat

-wearing hair in a ponytail 

-lifestyle (poor diet, not trimming hair)

-pregnancy 

Also, surgery requiring anesthesia. Anesthesia has thinned out my hair on at least two occasions.

I believe it was a Pentecostal church as well, but as others have said, her commitment is not that certain, especially the fact that she is considering marrying someone who is not a Christian. Not a recipe for a great marriage unless she is either not all that committed or she feels he will convert like her father did.

On 8/29/2018 at 7:21 PM, AZChristian said:

Gotta ask . . . did you ever meet Luke, the old guy who is one of the most well-known baseball ushers in the world?

I don't think so ... but it's possible, if he's been there for a while, that I might have met him before he was old enough to be one of the best-known ushers LOL! Have only been there that once, for our anniversary in 2014, in the last 10 years but we were there a lot in the mid-80s when we lived in Westchester and had time on our hands!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lily247 said:

This. Rachel's entire attitude bugs me in a way no other couple on this show has. First if all, I get it that it is 2018, but she started talking with Jon, then got pregnant by another man, then continued talking and falling in love with jon during her pregnancy and thereafter... she just didnt seem embarrassed at all. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I just dont think that pregnancy is the time in a womans life where she should start dating and pursuing love interests. It also irked me how she basically fast forwarded their relationship to old married couple status basically the day they met , and how she was so excited for him to change Lucy's diapers and give her a bath. Did we forget to mention he has a criminal record for assault ?! Yes they chatted for like 2 years but had literally just met the man yesterday and she entrusted him to go check on her baby who was, by the way, sleeping on a different FLOOR in a strange house in a foreign country. I hate judging these people but i am just glad that there is a camera crew there. 

No way no how would I let my baby sleep so far away from me unless my mom was in the room with the baby or something.  But I suppose you can't get busy with a baby sleeping right there so let's move her downstairs.  That way I can put my needs above hers.  Problem solved!!   See, I actually love judging these idiots on tv.  You signed up for, you get what is coming.  Idiots.  Except Lucy.

3 hours ago, renatae said:

He has been long distance gushing all over her since she was born, paying for her daycare, planning for life with her and her mother and pretty much acting as though he can hardly wait until they are a family. Now he decides he doesn't want her to call him daddy?

I think he thought "Oh Geez - the crap is about to get real.  They are REALLY here and I may have written a check with my mouth that my ass can't cash."

Oh Angela - not sure what to make of you and Michael.  If you are 52 then I am 38.

I have said this before but I remarried last fall.  Dated for five and half years, engaged for a bit over two before we were wed.  My kids call him.......First Name.  No forcing anything on anyone.  I don't even refer to him as their stepfather, I just call him First Name.  I don't force anyone to spend time together unless they want, they do need to show him respect as I believe he has earned it.  I seriously think the first time they saw us kiss was our wedding day, lol!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

No way no how would I let my baby sleep so far away from me unless my mom was in the room with the baby or something.  But I suppose you can't get busy with a baby sleeping right there so let's move her downstairs.  That way I can put my needs above hers.  Problem solved!!   See, I actually love judging these idiots on tv.  You signed up for, you get what is coming.  Idiots.  Except Lucy.

I think there's a baby monitor, but since Lucy is in a crib, she could have been moved in their room.

While I have absolutely no proof, I think Rachel conceived Lucy on an earlier visit to Jon. I don't believe she's never been in England before since she was so calm at the airport/train stations. Jon seems very attached to Lucy. I guess the truth will come out at some point. I like them, but I always suspect producer manipulation in this show--for all these couples. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

While I have absolutely no proof, I think Rachel conceived Lucy on an earlier visit to Jon. I don't believe she's never been in England before since she was so calm at the airport/train stations. Jon seems very attached to Lucy. I guess the truth will come out at some point. I like them, but I always suspect producer manipulation in this show--for all these couples. 

I think you are onto something.......perhaps denying they met so they can get the TLC $$$?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

I think there's a baby monitor, but since Lucy is in a crib, she could have been moved in their room.

They had a now inactive GoFundMe and active IG page to help them meet for the first time in June 2017. If Lucy was 8 months at the time of filming in December, and they were trying to crowd fund the money for Rachel to visit him for the first time, he's definitely not the bio father. Granted, he could've donated his biological material for A.I. or something. I do believe they've met before this trip, though. I'm not buying their story, and I'm sure the truth will come out. I wouldn't put it past TLC to request that they make it seem like they had never met. Why is the question. There are plenty of couples who meet and apply for the K1 who don't have to craft a story line to be on telly.

Edited by AussieBabe
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Yes, there was a baby monitor, but I would NEVER have been able to sleep on an different floor from my baby even if it was my own home, let alone a .... strangers home. 

• Like 6

On 8/28/2018 at 10:16 AM, gunderda said:

I feel like Karine can't even speak her own language properly..... something definitely seems off with her.  Do we know for sure she's actually 21???

I’ve been saying this all along! I feel like she’s younger than they say.. and she’s stunted even if she’s younger.

On 8/28/2018 at 3:59 PM, eatsleep said:

He's really the biggest d-bag of the entire series imo. But no one is seeing it. This kind of mentality on the part of some men, that women are this interchageable and the commitment of marriage is offered so lightly is really disturbing to me.

Believe me, people see it!

• Like 2

On 8/30/2018 at 7:58 PM, EllaDisco said:

Yup, fanny packs are in no way secure when wandering around areas that pickpockets frequent.

There are now brands of bags like Loctote, that are slash-proof and you can lock the whole thing to a stationary object. I wouldn't travel with a fanny pack -- they're also easy to unclasp.

On 8/30/2018 at 6:32 PM, Eric said:

Tarik probably spent the only 2 weeks he had online with Hazel (before deciding to go meet her in Manila) just asking her for sexy pictures so he can fantasize or masturbate.  He probably never asked her about her religion, her likes, her dreams, etc..... and taking the time to get to know her properly.  Then, these stupid people are in shock when they discover a whole different truth when they finally meet the foreign lady. He was driven by his dick.  But no worries for him, he is going to be accepted by Hazel and her family because these people have 2 religions; Christianity and the mighty American dollar!

What did Hazel ask Tarik? Probably nothing substantial either. But she was quick enough to post and send sexy pics of herself.  I think Tarik and Ricky are pigs, but  Angela and Rachel were just as  hot  to trot as they were. Angela  was reaching up under  Michael’s long shirt and  leaping on him in bed. It appeared to me when  Jon was putting together the crib for Lucy, that Rachel would  just as easily let Lucy sleep in her car seat right then so that she could get laid.

• Like 3