saoirse

Black-ish in the Media-ish

Alan Sepinwall wrote an article about three "comedies" who have tackled more dramatic material lately including Brooklyn 99, Barry and Black-ish.

When Laughter Fades, and Comedies Take a Turn for The Dramatic.

It put into words exactly why I've really disliked this arc.  Here's part of it but I think everything he says really hits on the problems with not only this arc but what it might mean for the future.

Dre Johnson is a good man whom the show usually sides with on the basic thrusts of its arguments, but he’s also always been portrayed as an insufferable manchild who’s forever slighting or outright insulting his patient and loving wife, without even realizing he’s doing it. So on paper, the idea that Dre and Bow might drift apart — as black-ish creator Kenya Barris and his own wife (Bow’s namesake) did during the show’s first season — doesn’t seem that outlandish. But until a few weeks ago, black-ish shrugged off all his behavior as ridiculousness on par with whatever insane thing Charlie just said, and even Bow’s annoyance with his behavior was written and played for laughs. It’s an incredibly jarring tonal shift for this stuff to suddenly have them on the verge of splitting up, particularly when this week’s episode, “Blue Valentime,” was peppered with new scenes of the spouses fighting in the past — where all the arguments and offenses are far more mild than the things Dre has said and done to her in prior seasons.

• Like 7

Very good article and I like how Alan brought up that it's based more on Kenya and Bow's marriage during the first year of the show. However, by then, the show was putting in so many long hours. Their kids were in their early teens and elementary school. So, yes the stress got to them, but even Kenya said it was building for a long time and everyone noticed. Here with Dre and Bow it is like zero to 100 with no build up. Even quoting how Charlie along with Dre and Bow's co-workers were played for laughs and never on anything. Now, it's all: "I hate you!" 

ABC on the Unaired Black-ish Episode: The Kneeling Was ‘Not Really the Issue’

When ABC and Black-ish showrunner Kenya Barris agreed earlier this year not to air an episode of the ABC comedy that had been shot in November over “creative differences,” it was widely believed the disagreement was over a scene in the episode where Dre (Anthony Anderson) and Junior (Marcus Scribner) argue over the rights of athletes to kneel during the national anthem at football games.

But in a call with reporters on Tuesday, ABC Entertainment Group president Channing Dungey said there was a lot more to the disagreement than that. Co-written by Barris and Peter Saji, and directed by the showrunner, “Please, Baby, Please” featured Dre telling his baby son a bedtime story in which he discusses how he feels about multiple modern-day political and societal issues.

“We have long been supportive of Kenya and team tackling challenging and controversial issues in the show and we have always traditionally been able to come to a place creatively where we felt good about the story he was telling, even if we felt it was pushing some hot buttons,” Dungey said. “And he felt he was getting to share the story in the way it should be shared. I think with this particular episode, there were a number of different elements to the episode that we had a hard time coming to terms on. Much has been made of the kneeling part of it, which was not even really the issue. But I don’t want to get into that too much. At the end of the day, it was a mutual decision between Kenya and the network to not put the episode out and I think we all feel that was the best decision overall.”

Edited by Dee

I'd rather see "controversial" dialogue about politics and social issues than a depressing 4-episode "serious" story about a failing marriage when I'm looking for COMEDY. So far the show has handled politics well (IMO) and with the right mix of comedy and seriousness. The failing marriage story was a big bore for me. Renewed for a fifth season? I don't care.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I'd rather see "controversial" dialogue about politics and social issues than a depressing 4-episode "serious" story about a failing marriage when I'm looking for COMEDY. So far the show has handled politics well (IMO) and with the right mix of comedy and seriousness. The failing marriage story was a big bore for me. Renewed for a fifth season? I don't care.

The failing marriage story line really got way too depressing and brought out all the major flaws of the characters to the Nth degree. From Dre to Diane and even Pops and Ruby. I mean, wow! So, yeah time to leave that in the rear mirror and if Kenya is leaving the show. I hope the new show runners deal with the death of Bow's father more directly. That is a gold mine for stories and character use. From inheritance to having your parent gone. Even Ruby and Pops could get stories out of that with their own mortality. 

• Like 3

Hollywood Reporter comedy actress roundtable with Molly Shannon (Divorce), Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel), Frankie Shaw (SMILF), Drew Barrymore (Santa Clarita Diet), Debra Messing (Will & Grace), Alison Brie (GLOW), and Tracee Ellis Ross (Black-ish):

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Emmy nominations!

Comedy Series
Lead Actor in a Comedy Series - Anthony Anderson
Lead Actress in a Comedy Series - Tracee Ellis Ross
Guest Actress in a Comedy Series - Wanda Sykes
Outstanding Contemporary Costumes - Juneteenth

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 1

Quvenzhané Wallis, is joining ABC’s Black-ish as a recurring. Wallis will play Kyra, Dre’s young cousin who comes to stay with the family for a while after her mom can’t take care of her. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PumpkinLumpkin said:

I like this little actress and kudos to her for scoring a role on a top show like this, but why are they adding a Cousin Oliver when they've just recently added a baby?!?!

Edited by luckyroll3
  • Like 5

On 11/2/2018 at 10:35 AM, PumpkinLumpkin said:
Wallis will play Kyra, Dre’s young cousin who comes to stay with the family for a while after her mom can’t take care of her. 

So now they have: Dre and Bow, Junior and Jack, Diane, Zoey (still has her own room), Ruby and Gramps, plus the plot-device (aka as "the baby").  They need yet another person staying with them????

On 11/2/2018 at 12:08 PM, meep.meep said:

Maybe, and this is just wild speculation, one of the Johnson kids will get a friend.

She's a bit older than Jack and Diane and too young for Junior.

On 11/2/2018 at 2:43 PM, luckyroll3 said:

I like this little actress and kudos to her for scoring a role on a top show like this, but why are they adding a Cousin Oliver when they've just recently added a baby?!?!

Katt Williams will play her father. He was excellent on Atlanta in a guest role, although that's a very different kind of show.

• Like 2

‘Black-ish’ Prequel Series Centered On Teen Rainbow Eyed By ABC

The current fifth season of Black-ish will include a Rainbow-centric episode. The episode, which is already casting to film in March, will feature flashbacks to a teen version of Tracee Ellis Ross’ character of Rainbow. No deals are done but I hear the episode could become a backdoor pilot for a potential prequel series. Black-ish executive producer Peter Saji is in talks to pen the episode, set in the 1980s-90s, which will revolve around Rainbow’s growing up.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

In the past, she's said the thing she wanted most is to be a legend. Seems as if she's well on her way.

• Like 2