saoirse

S01.E09: Woman Down

3 hours ago, nikita said:

My point was that we were shown Plum entering his cafe several times, and never once did she wheeze. So that makes me wonder is Steven so prejudiced against fat people that he's seeing things that aren't there? Because we certainly were never shown Plum out of breath.

Fat acceptance advocates, though, don't believe weight is a health issue. And that belief is based on evidence, not fantasy. So maybe that's why Plum took umbrage with Steven? His statements felt like a huge betrayal to me, particularly at the exact moment when Plum felt very confident in her own body.

Did they tell you that diets don't work for ~95 percent of those who do them? And that for most people, post-dieting, they gain back what they lost *plus* more. If Plum learned this at Calliope, I see why she felt stabbed in the back by Steven's "concern."

I can accept I'm fat, but I also accept that I can't exert myself worth diddly squat. I know I'm sedentary and eat too much. 

One of the friends who told me, adjusted her food intake and food quality, increased her exercise and within a year she lost the extra weight. She has kept it off for many years. Anyway, I'm not demanding they spoon feed me a diet plan. I have to figure out what works for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

I can accept I'm fat, but I also accept that I can't exert myself worth diddly squat. I know I'm sedentary and eat too much. 

One of the friends who told me, adjusted her food intake and food quality, increased her exercise and within a year she lost the extra weight. She has kept it off for many years. Anyway, I'm not demanding they spoon feed me a diet plan. I have to figure out what works for me.

One of the best takeaways for me personally from body acceptance was the concept of Health At Every Size (HAES). I'm surprised the show hasn't covered it. One who is fat can still improve her fitness and condition herself even if it doesn't result in weight loss. This was so freeing for me. As was the encouragement to focus on recreational exercise (for example, the fun of recess as a kid versus the "torture" of gym class) and eating what my body craves (because that's what it needs). Allowing myself to eat whatever I want took away the deprivation feeling of calorie-counting and also made previously forbidden foods less enticing because I could have them whenever I wanted.

On topic: despite its flaws, I'm so happy to see this show in the mainsteam, and I love Joy Nash.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, nikita said:

One of the best takeaways for me personally from body acceptance was the concept of Health At Every Size (HAES). I'm surprised the show hasn't covered it. One who is fat can still improve her fitness and condition herself even if it doesn't result in weight loss. This was so freeing for me. As was the encouragement to focus on recreational exercise (for example, the fun of recess as a kid versus the "torture" of gym class) and eating what my body craves (because that's what it needs). Allowing myself to eat whatever I want took away the deprivation feeling of calorie-counting and also made previously forbidden foods less enticing because I could have them whenever I wanted.

On topic: despite its flaws, I'm so happy to see this show in the mainsteam, and I love Joy Nash.

I'll have to look into that, but I know there are things I have to force myself to do. First, I'm forcing myself to drink water. My body needs it but I don't crave it. However a pitcher of grape kool aid is manna from heaven. It is scary how fast I can down a glass of koolaid whereas I struggle with water.

A well prepared basmati rice pilau slides down my throat without me registering fullness.

Nacho cheese Doritos. OHHHHHHH.

These are the things I crave at ungodly levels, so I will always have to watch the amounts. 

I've never seen Joy Nash, but I really like her. However Plum has gotten on my last nerve.

I really felt for Plum when she started listing all the reasons why she thought it was her fault that the jerk assaulted her. I know too many women who have done the same thing after being assaulted or raped. As upset as they were about what happened, they couldn't help blaming themselves and thinking about every possible reason that it could have been their fault.

• Like 3

Hmmm, when Julia was called “white” when we know she is black, I just assumed it was an insult as opposed to an apt descriptor. Looking the part, to the degree that she was wearing make up several shades lighter, donning a blonde wig, etc. and possibly her manner in speaking to the Jennifer rep may have been enough to elicit that comment. If that was the intention, I can see how that might confuse some people. Maybe they should have just called her “bougie.” But that term may still throw some folks for a loop. 

On another note, I think the assault scene was deliberately vague and I think that’s a good thing given the conversations it has fueled. Was it really rape? Why didn’t she? Why didn’t he? And so on.  Had the situation been crystal clear(a case of out and out rape), the same questions would likely be asked by viewers. There is enough real life evidence on social media to tell us that. 

I should not like Plum and Dominic together in any form, really, but I do. I think it’s the actors, but they’re both lonely and dissatisfied with their current lives and have bonded to some degree.