SilverStormm

The Incredible Dr. Pol

On the farm where Dr. Pol was neutering a bunch of steers, what was stuck all over their hind parts -- poop?  (I was at the far end of the room and too cozy by the fire to move closer to the TV to look.)

2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

On the farm where Dr. Pol was neutering a bunch of steers, what was stuck all over their hind parts -- poop?  (I was at the far end of the room and too cozy by the fire to move closer to the TV to look.)

Bovines poop more liquidly than other barnyard critters, so their tails are often encrusted with poop.

That poor lady with the beautiful cat. 😢 

Can’t believe that little dog had seven puppies! Hope they spay her.

Doc was cute with Charlie and the new mini horse.

Charles shaved for the wedding! Congratulations to the new Mr. and Mrs. Pol. 🥂

• Like 3

I absolutely love this series.  Now in its 14th season, I never get tired of watching it.  Last night I watched three episodes, one of which I'd seen before.  So happy that Charles found love with his longtime friend.  Did they say why they married in North Carolina?  Maybe her family is there.  Looked like a gloomy day, but it didn't ruin the wedding.

• Like 4

Okay, great, you took in your aunt’s dog when the rest of the family wanted to dump her at the shelter, but then you let her not only get pregnant but whelp a litter?  Better than people who make a living by deliberate breeding, but, damn, I get angry with these people and wish I was watching Dr. Jeff’s show, so I’d know this was the last litter.  Yee haw, seven more puppies in a country in which two or three million dogs are euthanized in shelters each year simply because there are more of them than there are homes.  No “oh, they’re so cute!” celebrating from me.

I missed who died that Princess’s owner wound up with her (there was a loud noise outside at the time), but that cat needed an ultrasound – how does a vet practice with Pol’s volume need to jump right from x-ray to exploratory surgery?  I hope that was just skipped over, because the point was once they got in there it was clearly cancer and her quality of life had already decreased to where euthanasia was the most humane choice, but it’s an odd thing not to mention.

I like Dr. Emily’s “No!” about rolling the pregnant cow, but that made the “tack the stomach in place” procedure even crazier for the poor cow.  I’m glad it all worked out.  That cow had the cutest brown spots.

Probie had an adorable face in general, and such a “Yep, I ate my doghouse.  And?” expression in particular.

Bleu the calf was so adorably sad (emphasis on adorable), and I love the owner’s dedication.  Not to mention Dr. Emily kissing him.

“We have our own homes, our own stuff” – gee, then how about not registering for a gift grab?  You don’t have to be tacky twits just because you’re getting married.  But I liked Charles and Beth’s wedding and their apparently not giving a shit that the weather sucked – they had their core group of people with them, and just celebrated the occasion.  (I also wondered why they got married somewhere other than where they live [but not a traditional "destination wedding" location], and it's not like they did the old-school bride's hometown thing, because they apparently grew up together.)

• Like 1

I thought the woman had just recently got the dog and didn’t know she was pregnant.

Princess’s mom said that Princess had belonged to her “significant other” and she got Princess when he passed away.

Bleu was adorable with those huge floppy ears and soulful eyes.

I assumed that Beth’s parents had moved to North Carolina.

• Like 2

I think Bleu’s owner might be the same girl who owned a bull like that and brought him in for Dr. Pol to put in a nose ring a few years ago. Eeyore? 

They do have that statement on the front of every episode stating that they aren't showing every procedure, and all of the treatments.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I thought the woman had just recently got the dog and didn’t know she was pregnant.

Yes, IIRC she only had the dog for a week.... even do, I hope the dog is spayed once the pups are weaned - I'm totally on board with Dr Jeff's practice stressing neuter/spay

5 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I assumed that Beth’s parents had moved to North Carolina.

Sort of what I figured, as well. ... my question - were both father and mother of the bride on crutches? Also wondered if father was an amputee, or maybe I just couldn't see his leg because of the dark slacks?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Yes, IIRC she only had the dog for a week.... even do, I hope the dog is spayed once the pups are weaned - I'm totally on board with Dr Jeff's practice stressing neuter/spay

Yes, I never got the impression that she had bred the dog or even knew it was preggers. Glad the lady took the dog in.

Totally agree about the spay/neuter.

5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They do have that statement on the front of every episode stating that they aren't showing every procedure, and all of the treatments.

I was about to mention that. No way they can show everything.

• Like 2

I haven't continued to watch this show for so many years because of interesting or cutting-edge treatments (I save that for the vet hospital series). I've dropped other shows along the way but still enjoy Dr. Pol because of his boundless energy and enthusiasm. It's inspirational to me.

From last week's episode, did we ever get a follow-up on the cat with the horribly swollen paw? I think I nodded off.

It also occurred to me that Pol is the right vet for owners who think cat carriers are frivolous nonsense and just put their pets on the car seat and carry them in their arms. That cat was remarkably calm about having his sore paw prodded!

• Like 4

It’s hard to believe that Doc Pol is in his seventies! I’m so glad they got that foal out alive. He sure was a big boy. It was sweet how Doc talked to the mare who had the dead foal.☹️

That sweet lady who rescued the kitten really needs dental care. Don’t get me started about the health care system in this country...😡

BTW, does anyone else watch “Hanging With the Hendersons,” the new vet show on AP? I’m a sucker for vet shows, so I’m watching it (doesn’t hurt that the vet brothers are hotties! 😏). They had the sweetest cat, Tux, on there Saturday night. Tux loved to give hugs. Sadly, he passed on. 😢

• Like 1

Strange that they'd have another Colorado vet show when they have Rocky Mt. Vet (Jeff Young), which is based in Denver.  Hope that hasn't been cancelled.

• Like 1

The cute little crusty-eyed kitten almost made up for seeing yet another damn breeder celebrated.  I got a good chuckle out of naming him Fitter because he was found in a pipe, and laughed outright when Dr. Emily had no idea what a pipefitter is.  "Is that a tool or a person?" with a big smile -- hee.  (It's a person.)

I also laughed when the guy with the dehydrated pig said he'd never seen fluids injected into the belly before, Dr. Emily said, "I saw Dr. Pol do it once," and the guy basically shrugged and said, "Okay."

I, too, thought it was sweet the way Dr. Pol talked to the horse whose foal came out dead. 

And I was amused by the cow who kept trying to get away from Dr. Brenda.

I hope the owner whose dog got into rat poison gets some traps instead; I hate seeing poison used, because it's a needlessly inhumane way of killing rats plus it creates significant potential for collateral damage, with other animals getting into the poison directly or eating a poisoned rodent.  I'm glad she knew her dog had eaten the poison and was thus able to treat him in time, since they don't show symptoms at first.

Oh, and no contest between Tater and that baby -- Tater is cuter!

• Like 2

I’ve become such a diehard Dr. Pol fan that, hearing about the polar vortex in the Midwest, I immediately thought about the people and animals in that part of MI. Hope everyone there (and the other places in the deep freeze) are okay. It’s cold here in the Shenandoah Valley, but nothing like that!

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Like 6

OMG  I've been doing the same thing.  I especially think of Dr. Emily since she grew up in Georgia and never had to deal with low subzero temps and wind chill into the ridiculous -40 or whatever number.  I wonder if they also have to deal with snow drifts blocking the roads.   Fun and games.

• Like 4

Wow, that Code Blue on Coco the Doberman was so similar to what happened to a dog on Hanging With the Hendersons. There the dog has a tumor on her spleen (which Dr. Emily said Coco might have) which ruptured. When Dr. Emily mentioned a tumor on the spleen I was like “Oh, no!” since that dog died. So I got to cry two nights in a row...😞

That baby pig was so adorbs! 

The Pols’ granddaughter has a a good heart. That sweet old dog will get to finish up his life happily.

BTW, I started a forum for Hanging With the Hendersons. It’s under “Other H Shows” if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

Cersei the goat actually lucked out. Now she won’t be auctioned off at the fair. I saw an episode this afternoon in which Dr. Pol saw how upset a little boy was about selling his 4-H goat at the fair. Doc bought the goat and gave it back to the little boy. 💕

That pony and her foal were so adorbs! So was Gabriel the baby reindeer.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Like 3

I hope that poor horse that lost so much weight got better. The naked rat was adorbs. I had a pet rat once. His name was Sméagol. He loved grits. When I made myself a bowl, Sméagol got some. When I said “It’s grits today,” he got excited. Miss that little fella.

• Like 2

Poor Diane!   The look on her face when she saw Jan's face was so sad.     

I really hope one of the cats was rehomed, before Cloudy gets hurt again.  Unfortunately, I've known too many people that think animal conflicts in the house like that will eventually settle down, and they just don't.  

• Like 3

On 2/16/2019 at 9:32 PM, LittleIggy said:

I hope that poor horse that lost so much weight got better. The naked rat was adorbs. I had a pet rat once. His name was Sméagol. He loved grits. When I made myself a bowl, Sméagol got some. When I said “It’s grits today,” he got excited. Miss that little fella.

Re: The horse. It's irritating that the woman waited so long before she said anything. How much weight can a horse lose before it's critical?

• Like 1