ElectricBoogaloo

S02.E10: The Last Ceremony

32 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

That company has been around for a long time, unfortunately. It WOULD be funny if it was a play on "our" Gilead but, alas, it's not.

Yeah, I never thought it had any relation to Atwood's Gilead.  It was just a shock, in the middle of horrifying news stories that parallel this show to see a giant GILEAD pill pop up.

23 minutes ago, dleighg said:

well, Balm of Gilead essentially means "miracle potion," so.....

I didn't know that!  Interesting.

31 minutes ago, secnarf said:

For those of us who knew "Gilead" as the name of the drug company before reading/watching THT, it was more alarming seeing a fictional country called the same name as a drug company!

Although the term Gilead comes from the bible...which is admittedly an odd place for a drug company to take their name from.

Well, Atwood published her book  five years before GILEAD the drug company was founded.

Edited by Umbelina · Reason: published instead of wrote

We happened to be at our local MLB team’s Pride night a few weeks ago, and Gilead Sciences was one of the attending groups listed on the Jumbotron. I wasn’t sure whether to be amused or alarmed at the coincidence. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Umbelina said:

Yeah, I never thought it had any relation to Atwood's Gilead.  It was just a shock, in the middle of horrifying news stories that parallel this show to see a giant GILEAD pill pop up.

I didn't know that!  Interesting.

Well, Atwood published her book  five years before GILEAD the drug company was founded.

The book is just two years older than the drug company, I think - but I am too young to have read THT when it first came out, so I actually encountered the drug company first!

• Like 2

On 7/2/2018 at 3:44 AM, watchTV said:

The most ridiculous scene was June antagonizing Fred that the baby isn't his own. That was after she asks aunt Lydia to protect it. She said if Fred could hurt a woman then he could hurt a child. Why would you then give him a reason to resent it?

Yeah, that was really stupid. 

A discussion on another forum is making me cranky.

Just because most of the Handmaids have not shown more outward signs of distress when being raped, doesn't make the Ceremony any less of a violent rape. And the scene wasn't gratuitous, it's there to underscore the fact the Ceremony is rape and to show why most of the Handmaids don't attempt to physically fight back (it doesn't make any difference).

Anyway this was a good but super depressing episode. The reunion with Hannah seems more cruel and ill-judged than kind to either of them and it necessitates them going through the trauma of another forced separation.

Eden sobbing away to herself broke my heart as well. Whatever Nick's feelings toward her, I found him unbearably cruel in that scene. She's a 15 year old kid who feels completely unloved and alone and like Hannah, she's been taken away from her family. She mentions her mother in most of her scenes.

• Like 5