Jump to content
17wheatthins

Things We Hate About The Handmaid's Tale

Recommended Posts

Vent here on anything you hate about The Handmaid's Tale, be it lighting, musical cues, characters' actions or motivations, use of religion, dialogue, actors or anything else you just can't stand. 

This should be used as an alternative to derailing episode threads, please. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Why is it so freaking dark lately! I get that there is mood lighting but I feel like I'm watching this on a tv with the color going out. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

The whole "dark!" thing that seems to be popular right now is annoying.  The American's had a scene like that this season too.  I get that dark is dramatic, and can be beautifully done (I'm thinking of you Breaking Bad) but it's almost as if certain directors or cinematographers are pushing it MUCH too far, even if it does make sense for the scene.  For Gilead, I think they are conserving on electricity as well, probably don't have much infrastructure left, and no one will ship them oil with the embargo.

I just make sure it's completely dark in the house when I try to watch this show.  Last night's was better than others have been.  Actually I had it all darkened here, and that first scene was so bright it actually hurt my eyes for a few seconds--they'd apparently prepared for darkness, not a bright snow burial scene.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't mind the actress playing Eden, in fact I give her credit for how much I am disliking that character.

 Everything about her irks me. 

 I think I rolled my eyes at the same time that June did in that shop when little miss new wife came skipping along, telling June the meal she wanted to prepare for Nick.

 Because what else would you do for the husband that you basically nearly turned into the authorities for being a gender traitor because you're too ignorant and young and dumb to understand that most men do not lust after girls half their ages, and now that he has popped the cork she's just all about him.

 I also really did not like that long look she was giving the handmaids as they were whispering their names to one another.

That girl is a snitch if I've ever seen one.

 I think she also remind me of what a younger Serena might have been like, which also does not help.

Edited by AnswersWanted
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I love the actress playing Eden, she looks so unstable and menacing, as are most fanatics.

I'm frustrated that the writers aren't using the Canada scenes to show us more about the outside world reactions to both Gilead and their own birth rate issues.  As I said in the episode thread, THAT is what I was expecting from a Canada story.  Reporters interviewing the escapees, news about the U.N. sanctions, has war been discussed, or rescue, or supplying the resistance fighters? 

They are sitting up there with computers and TV's and newspapers, and knowing how the rest of the world feels about Gilead, and we aren't getting any of that.  I don't want just backstories and grieving, I want to know what's happening in the world.  After being deprived of that for so long, you'd think the characters would want that as well.  Or be petitioning other countries to help, being interviewed about what life was in Gilead.  I want to see women in Europe outraged and protesting and using their power to say both "not here!" and "help them!"

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

2.  The darkness.  I can't see shit on my TV.  This has been happening in the past, oh let's say for throwing spaghetti at the wall's sake, 8 years.  So many dark movies, so many dark shows.

 

1.  Because it is my major beef with this show.  All of the close ups of Elizabeth Moss's big-eyed, brow-creased, on-the-verge-of-crying face.  For way more time than necessary.  I like the show.  I even like Moss.  But holy hand grenade of Antioch, if I took a shot during every closeup of her wet-eyed deer-in-the-headlights trembling face, I'd be constantly drunk.  Please stop, show.  Please.  There is a way to convey June's trauma and emotions without this every fucking time.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

I can't say it's something I hate (yet), but it does frustrate me that the world of Gilead doesn't seem to be thought out all that well. I feel like we haven't moved much from season 1, which worked at the time as it was mostly based on June's points of view and storytelling relied on her understandably limited knowledge of the world around her. But now that the show has moved on beyond that, it seems that a lot of things are still up in the air and the writers themselves aren't sure where they're going with it. Basically, every time we go beyond the everyday life of a handmaid, we end up with more questions and more confusion. The colonies, econo-people, chain of command in the ruling circles, life in Canada - we've seen bits and pieces of all that, but very little of it makes for a truly coherent narrative.

Of course, I'm well aware that creating a whole new society with all its intricacies is by no means an easy task for the writers. Still, I wish they would make more effort. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

1) What about natural resources? Where are they getting gasoline/oil etc to run their automobiles etc? 

2) Where are all the cats and dogs?? Haven’t seen a pet! Odd. 

3) WHY are we not seeing how the rest of the world is responding to Gilead? Besides Canada and Mexico. 

4) I can’t believe that Fred Waterford didn’t at least lose an arm. Or an eye. Or end up in a wheelchair. Others died and he’s basically fine now (with a limp) and Ofglen 2.0 was right in front of him. Makes no sense. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, LittleRed84 said:

1) What about natural resources? Where are they getting gasoline/oil etc to run their automobiles etc? 

2) Where are all the cats and dogs?? Haven’t seen a pet! Odd. 

3) WHY are we not seeing how the rest of the world is responding to Gilead? Besides Canada and Mexico. 

4) I can’t believe that Fred Waterford didn’t at least lose an arm. Or an eye. Or end up in a wheelchair. Others died and he’s basically fine now (with a limp) and Ofglen 2.0 was right in front of him. Makes no sense. 

1.  Not many cars running now, and not much electricity being used anymore either.  Maybe that's why it's always so dark? 

2.  We did see one pet, but I agree, you'd think without children there would be many, many more, not less.

3.  This has been my main complaint.   With Luke and Moira in Canada, we should have had a lot of outside news by now.  grrrr

Spoiler

Next week's preview looks fantastic!

4.  It certainly seems that he would have been dead, but honestly, I want a much more difficult death for good old Fred, so I'm OK with it.  I'd prefer something slow, humiliating, painful, and gruesome.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I hate that the "watch what you say around Gilead" attitude seems to be applied so inconsistently.  In the span of an episode, we had a handmaid:

1. Speak positively in public about the bomb

2. Deliberately mess up the response to "Blessed be the fruit"

3. Call another by her given name

4. Scream: "You're turning into one of THEM!" 

5. Speak rudely/roughly to one of the guardians

And not one of them was punished.  The guards didn't even seem slightly suspicious.  Are they hard of hearing, or did they just stop caring, or is it just a matter of plot convenience when they apply the Might of Gilead?  

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

@Brn2bwild, all the inconsistencies struck me as well. Not just that but all of a sudden Aunt Lydia has a heart and sympathy for a handmaid? Serena helps another wife, putting her own self as risk?

I was trying to fanwonk it as a result of the post trauma chaos of the bomb, but I am having a hard time getting there by myself. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

All of the violence. I know the women are nothing but vessels for babies, but damn, it's too much. We get it, women are nothing. I don't need to be reminded every single episode. 

I need to see more punishment for the runners of Gilead, the commanders and their wives, the aunts, etc, and I need an end in sight. I'm not sure that I'm going to get one, though. I'm going to be pissed if the series ends with some form of Gilead still going. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/6/2018 at 10:53 AM, Brn2bwild said:

I hate that the "watch what you say around Gilead" attitude seems to be applied so inconsistently.  In the span of an episode, we had a handmaid:

1. Speak positively in public about the bomb

2. Deliberately mess up the response to "Blessed be the fruit"

3. Call another by her given name

4. Scream: "You're turning into one of THEM!" 

5. Speak rudely/roughly to one of the guardians

And not one of them was punished.  The guards didn't even seem slightly suspicious.  Are they hard of hearing, or did they just stop caring, or is it just a matter of plot convenience when they apply the Might of Gilead?  

I see it as a breakdown of society in Gilead that the show is presenting to us on purpose.  The rules of their country were imposed upon the people and depend on brute force, fear, and a population alienated from each other to function properly.  That bomb changed things.  A rogue commander took it upon himself to slaughter people in their homes and in the street indiscriminately, and it spurred a wife and a handmaid to find their courage to save themselves and probably thousands of other citizens.  In the greater world, we’re seeing handmaids giving zero fucks, because they can’t be safe from anything, and even the guardians are realizing that they can’t sustain a consistent level of cruelty (I’m speaking of the one June told to back off).  Gilead is crumbling, and I applaud the producers for showing us the cracks instead of telling us.

 

I’ll agree about Lydia calling Janine by her name.  It was weird.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Pet Peeves: The agonizingly slow pacing (and overuse of slow-motion), leaving characters hanging around awkwardly. This was especially bad in S1. I blame then-showrunner Ilene Chaiken, partly because I like blaming Ilene Chaiken for things and partly because now that she's gone pacing has improved a bit. A bit. And word on the over-dark cinematography, for selfish reasons. I finally get a chance to see Elisabeth Moss in her birthday suit and all we get clearly is Nick's butt. Fine for the ladies but I felt cheated.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/7/2018 at 12:11 AM, guilfoyleatpp said:

@Brn2bwild, all the inconsistencies struck me as well. Not just that but all of a sudden Aunt Lydia has a heart and sympathy for a handmaid? Serena helps another wife, putting her own self as risk?

I was trying to fanwonk it as a result of the post trauma chaos of the bomb, but I am having a hard time getting there by myself. 

I think that, for all their horribleness in other ways, both Serena and Aunt Lydia have genuine affection for children, or at least a genuine desire to see more of them born alive and kept healthy. So they are willing to bend the rules for this to happen. Aunt Lydia has a strange relationship to the Handmaids. She tortures and mutilates them, but in some twisted way I think she believes she's saving their souls and that's her way of showing that she cares about them.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

 I think Lydia uses the women’s names when she really wants to somehow establish a connection with them, she did it with Emily after she came in to explain her mutilation surgery, and she has also done it was June, she will referr to them by name, their real names, when she’s making a point to. 

Something I have come to hate is the show using brilliant women of color in fleeting roles, that is really starting to annoy me to death. 

 The show is already greatly lacking in its’ dealings with race, there are so few people of color and yet there’s never really been an explanation as to why, obviously they’re not going by the book because that is actually a pretty well-established fact what happens to people of color as Margaret Atwood wrote it, the show however wants to skip over that. 

But then I see a brilliant actress like Kelly who played Luke’s ex-wife in a short B-role pop up and then she goes poof, or as in last week’s episode I see an even more brilliant actress, Karen, playing the part of a former neonatal specialist coming in and all I get of her is five minutes of awesome before she too vanishes into thin air.

It’s really pissing me off now.

Not to mention there is obviously Moira who gets almost no screen time, or Luke, and they’re both in Canada and free but neither of them have family that they have managed to find?

Was Luke an orphan before Gilead took over? Moira has no one left either? 

Did neither of them have siblings, aunts or uncles, a second cousin named Bernie, just no relatives at all?

 Why couldn’t the actress, Karen, who played the neonatal specialist have been a relative to one of them? 

I looked her up and she could pull off playing an older relative to either Luke or Moira, she could’ve been easily a mother or aunt or olde sister. 

It’s so damn frustrating. 

Edited by AnswersWanted
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I hate to put in a good word for Luke, who's as useful as a box of rocks, but that's consistent with the character, who was ready to dump Wife #1 after a single roll in the hay with June. He's probably moved on mentally to Wife #3. As for whoever upthread complained about a serious overdose of lingering closeups of Elisabeth Moss, all I can say is that's what happens when your star is also the producer (in S1) of the show. It sucks but there you have it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The idea that all men are dogs. I know the show is not trying to say that , but I wish they showed more men fighting this regime. I wish there was more background to explain how all the men in America allowed this happen. Men aren’t fundamentally evil and wanting their women in chains and I don’t think they would all just sit around while Gilead just took over.  I wish we saw more guardians working behind the scenes to undermine this regime. The child bride ceremony was gross not just for the girls but for the men being “ gifted” with wives. Men aren’t naturally pedophiles and I’m sure some  didnt  want that.  I feel like we could really use some more background information. If they just killed all the men who  resisted, then the woman should outnumber them right? It seems like so many men are just so cool with this whole society that I find it unrealistic.

Edited by GraceK
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I hate that Fred is not dead yet. 

 I hate that so far we haven't been given confirmation if Emily's wife and son managed to make it to Canada.

I hate the idea that Janine is going to have her beautiful baby girl ripped away from her again. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Here's something that bugged me...During her big escape, when Nick told her to cut her hair. Why? Handmaids, wives, Marthas, and econowives all wear things on their heads when they're outside so it's not like we can see the length of their hair anything. June cutting her hair did nothing to disguise her. If they'd dyed it then maybe, but once she has the head covering on, it makes little to no difference. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/30/2018 at 5:30 PM, Umbelina said:

I love the actress playing Eden, she looks so unstable and menacing, as are most fanatics.

I'm frustrated that the writers aren't using the Canada scenes to show us more about the outside world reactions to both Gilead and their own birth rate issues.  As I said in the episode thread, THAT is what I was expecting from a Canada story.  Reporters interviewing the escapees, news about the U.N. sanctions, has war been discussed, or rescue, or supplying the resistance fighters? 

They are sitting up there with computers and TV's and newspapers, and knowing how the rest of the world feels about Gilead, and we aren't getting any of that.  I don't want just backstories and grieving, I want to know what's happening in the world.  After being deprived of that for so long, you'd think the characters would want that as well.  Or be petitioning other countries to help, being interviewed about what life was in Gilead.  I want to see women in Europe outraged and protesting and using their power to say both "not here!" and "help them!"

Quoting myself to say:

YAY SHOW!

In one episode, they managed to take the things that were bugging me all way.  I'm so happy! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/12/2018 at 2:40 PM, AnswersWanted said:

I hate that Fred is not dead yet. 

 I hate that so far we haven't been given confirmation if Emily's wife and son managed to make it to Canada.

I hate the idea that Janine is going to have her beautiful baby girl ripped away from her again. 

Oh god, yeah: "I think Mrs (what's her name) will let me see the baby again." No, she won't. :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6-6-2018 at 10:13 AM, Umbelina said:

We did see one pet, but I agree, you'd think without children there would be many, many more, not less.

Maybe the fertility crisis isn't limited to humans. If it was caused by pollution then it could also be happening to animals so maybe there just aren't as many animals as there used to be.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I've been trying to put my thoughts together to figure out what's bugging me about the show this season. I'm not sure I can do a good job of explaining it, but I"ll try...

The whole "fuck that", "what the actual fuck", etc. is getting tedious. When they end an episode like that, they SHOULD be setting up something for the next one. It should be a segue into the next plot point which then shows the character(s) taking a certain amount of action. This doesn't always happen. In fact, it's almost like the characters (mostly June) even forgot that statement and things go right back to square one. It cheapens the comment and lessens its impact. I'm starting to get a wash/rinse/repeat feel to the show. 

I wonder if they didn't know what to do with season 2, or if they even believed that it would happen when they wrote the season 2 finale. It ends with Nick whispering, "Trust me" and June getting into the vehicle with the whole "stepping into the dark/into the light" comment. Like the book, the series could have ended right there and been totally ambiguous (yet hopeful). When the show did so well, however, and they knew they'd need a second season I almost feel like they totally ignored that ending. They initially set it up to look like Nick had arranged Mayday to come in and pretend arrest her, when they were really taking her to safety. But, as we know, that didn't happen at all. The false hanging, more of the WTF Serena shenanigans at the house, and then the doctor's visit all came before June was whisked away. The initial setup of Nick whispering that to her and her "into the dark/light" didn't pay off. 

I feel like that's happened over and over again. 

I am also having trouble with suspension of disbelief when it comes to character motivations. There have been lots of things that characters have done that just do not make any sense and I find myself trying to explain them away like, "Well, it's just progressing the story" or "It's more realistic" or "Maybe it's because..." The fact is, though, I am honestly starting to feel like it is lazy writing. 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

If I were in June's position I would be saying "Fuck that" and Fuck you" and "Fucking what?" in my head a LOT more than she is, so that part really doesn't bother me, in fact, I love it.

I do need a lot more hope and a bit less horrific though, in order to continue with this show next season.

The people in Canada are perfectly positioned to provide that, and to provide more information about the outside world. 

Get on that show.  This week was a great start, but for me?  I need much more of that.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I think the "fuck that" reactions would have been more believable in the early days of handmaid-ship, but now that it's been almost four years and June knows exactly what kind of society this is, it sounds naive and flippant. She can say "fuck that" in her head all she wants, but that doesn't change anything about her circumstances. In the book, Offred was an expert at keeping herself as sane as possible, and didn't allow herself any unproductive thoughts - there's nary a "fuck that" in her story. Her goal wasn't so much to escape - she knew how unlikely that was, and that she couldn't do it on her own - but to survive as long as possible to hopefully outlive Gilead. Book Offred was a big-picture thinker, but show June, not so much.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, chocolatine said:

I think the "fuck that" reactions would have been more believable in the early days of handmaid-ship, but now that it's been almost four years and June knows exactly what kind of society this is, it sounds naive and flippant. She can say "fuck that" in her head all she wants, but that doesn't change anything about her circumstances. In the book, Offred was an expert at keeping herself as sane as possible, and didn't allow herself any unproductive thoughts - there's nary a "fuck that" in her story. Her goal wasn't so much to escape - she knew how unlikely that was, and that she couldn't do it on her own - but to survive as long as possible to hopefully outlive Gilead. Book Offred was a big-picture thinker, but show June, not so much.

Yeah, but "fuck that" wasn't quite as common in everyday language when Atwood wrote this.  They've obviously set it in present day, what with twitter and cell phones.

Her "fuck thats" may not be great writing, but to me, it's great character building.

I just posted a long, what turned out to be kind of a rant in the Smart People thread.  I'm wondering if I should bring it here.

Basically, get on with it show, if you are expanding, EXPAND!  Show us the world, the wars, what happened to the military overseas, what's the world saying, use Moira and Luke and Erin to tell and show us things we didn't see in the book.  Gilead scenes need to be about 1/2 of the show starting very soon or I'm outa here.  Or, maybe I should say, "Fuck that!"

hee

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Yeah, but "fuck that" wasn't quite as common in everyday language when Atwood wrote this.  They've obviously set it in present day, what with twitter and cell phones.

Moira and Offred's mother used plenty of variations of "fuck" in the book, but Offred didn't. I thought that was a deliberate choice on Atwood's part to make Offred's inner monologue so restrained, showing that quiet determination to survive can be as powerful as explicit defiance.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Maybe the fertility crisis isn't limited to humans. If it was caused by pollution then it could also be happening to animals so maybe there just aren't as many animals as there used to be.

I know in the book there was mention of food shortages/rationing and I'm pretty sure we've had some indication of that sort of thing on the show too - so maybe they don't want to waste edible food on pets? I can't see pet food factories functioning in Gilead either at this point, and importing such products doesn't seem all that viable given their trade issues and the overall struggle to keep the population fed.

Edited by Becks
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Elisabeth Moss and the long pauses before answering a question, usually a "Yes, Mr(s)..." "Yes, aunt Lydia"... and then the answer coming with a kind of smirk and disdain that could be perceived as defiance - at least that's what I see.

I never know if it is actually supposed to be defiant and June is getting away with that, or if it is the director, or if it is Moss. That's annoying. It seems like inconsistency to me: is June really being defiant and planning something, or is just resigned and that's what we are supposed to believe?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I think June's both, sometimes defeated and sometimes defiant, but as far as her pauses?  That may just be her personality, I know people like that, or it could also be a very smart choice.  She can't just blurt things out there without thinking, every single thing she does and says must be carefully considered.  The punishments for a misspoken word are rather severe.  With Serena for example, she has to be very watchful, "what mood is Serena in today?"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Umbelina said:

If I were in June's position I would be saying "Fuck that" and Fuck you" and "Fucking what?" in my head a LOT more than she is, so that part really doesn't bother me, in fact, I love it.

 

I would be using those variations just about every day. My issue with it isn't that she's saying "fuck" but that the screenwriters are ending the episodes with that, signifying some kind of setup for the next episode and then, I feel, not delivering. For me it's an issue with the writing, not necessarily the character. I feel the same way about the episode in season 1 in which you see all the women kind of marching to the Nina Simone song and June saying, "If they didn't want us to be an army then they shouldn't have given us a uniform" and then Nick doing the whole "trust me" thing. That, to me, was a setup for the Handmaids doing something cohesive and really bonding and Nick doing something grand to get June out of there. The bonding/fighting back thing didn't really come until this season, though, when they all started doing their "my name is" spiel. And June wasn't "rescued" until the end of the next episode, not at the point in which she was being whisked away. 

I can think of an excuse for every single one of these things. I've been making them myself. This is like the bitching thread, though, and I need to bitch. These are the things that are bothering me. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

This show really does need to start tying up some loose ends though, and while this episode at least was a beginning?  I'm going to need a LOT more outside and inside information to continue with it next year.  As I said earlier, the details of Gilead beyond Boston, and especially it's relationships with the outside world are pretty much the only reason I was glad to see they ordered extra seasons. 

Without those, even with the outstanding acting?  The real world is just too depressing right now for me to choose to watch a show that is increasingly mirroring problems of today.   When I read the book, and even when this show first began?  Gilead seemed absurd enough to "visit," yes as a warning beacon, but "it would never happen here!"  Now?  I'm honestly not so sure.  I don't blame the writers for using things in the book to parallel current news, and honestly, some of that is accidental almost, but some is deliberate "RESIST!" signs and of course, issues of reproductive rights which are integral to this story.  I'm not trying to discuss real world politics here, at all, except as they relate to my enjoyment of the show, and that real world politics are making this show a kind of a sad chore.  

The writers COULD change that by at least beginning to clarify Gilead details.  In other words, give me something other than what Margaret Atwood already did, take this story and make it global, give me the details I've wanted for decades now, make it worth the effort of watching.

It's just?  Do I need this in my life?  Unless they continue with the hopeful signs they started in this episode, including the outside world and some EFFECTIVE resistance, especially world condemnation, and hopefully strides made by those still fighting within Gilead's boundaries, such as seeing US soldiers say "fuck it" and joining with those still fighting for freedom throughout Gilead?  I may be done after this season.

I'm watching for Gilead's downfall, and for the answers to questions I've had since reading this book when it first came out.  I'm watching for the epilogue, only not the cryptic disgustingly misogynistic Pieixoto’s version of that.  I want the rest of the story, all of the important things he left out, or only alluded to.  I'd like to know what happened to June, but that's not the most important thing to me.  I want to know what happens to bring Fred down, and that IS important to me.  I need him to "pay" and especially I need to see the entire Commander's system.  Just how does it work, who is in charge, how does IT fall apart, how many Generals were involved, how are they controlling the military, including the military families stationed overseas?  What happened to them, did many defect?  ALL of that.

The book told an incredible PERSONAL story.  The show needs to tell us the rest.  Soon.

Edited

Edited by Umbelina · Reason: Taking out any possible specific politics, just in case
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

The all male show runners don't really get what makes the story a feminist masterpiece, such as the subtleties of the oppression, like giving June "a child's lunch". There are ways to oppress women that don't involve cutting out tongues, eyes, and clits. They didn't get what was really awful about Jezebels--it wasn't that Waterford took her to a whorehouse, it was the way June had to wear ill-fitting, tattered clothes and dried up old makeup. That was the humiliating part.


And the way they've repetitively portrayed June ("I'm beaten"... "fuck you, I'll get out!" over & over) , I don't even care if she gets out anymore.

 

I'm also annoyed by storylines that go nowhere. No handmaids were traded to Mexico, apparently. If the colonies are so awful, Janine and Emily should not have survived. There was a bombing but one episode later it's business as usual. June's in a catatonic state, repeating 'we've been sent good weather ', but less than an episode later she's doing her 'I'm gonna get out and take my kids with me" shtick again.

if everything in the show is easily undone, it all becomes meaningless and ceases to affect me.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

Can everybody PLEASE speak up?  I have to turn the volume up to about 45 on my tv, and then when music comes on or if we cut to the commercial I wind up waking up my kids from the sudden blast of sound.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Shangrilala said:

Can everybody PLEASE speak up?  I have to turn the volume up to about 45 on my tv, and then when music comes on or if we cut to the commercial I wind up waking up my kids from the sudden blast of sound.

I can't watch this show without turning on the closed captioning 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, NoSpam said:

I can't watch this show without turning on the closed captioning 

Yes. I feel like I'm becoming my (88 year old) father.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Every single time I turn up the volume because of the needless quietness, the next scene is inevitably one in which June, Emily, or Moira starts yelling "fuck" and it makes me start looking around in paranoia like I'm going to wake up somebody in the neighborhood at 1 AM.

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/18/2018 at 12:56 PM, Umbelina said:

I think June's both, sometimes defeated and sometimes defiant, but as far as her pauses?  That may just be her personality, I know people like that, or it could also be a very smart choice.  She can't just blurt things out there without thinking, every single thing she does and says must be carefully considered.  The punishments for a misspoken word are rather severe.  With Serena for example, she has to be very watchful, "what mood is Serena in today?"

It could be. Or it could be a director's choice. I just think it is too much, either way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, I know someone just like that, and others that are very similar.

Some people are fast talkers (I am, which was pointed out to me quite explicitly during an anonymous work evaluation done by co-workers and employees, which actually turned out to be incredibly helpful) (Amanda Peet is another)  and other's are very slow and deliberate speakers, they visibly think, consider, pause before speaking (Moss, Gary Cooper.)  Others are mumblers (Kristen Stewart) or especially clear talkers (Keanu Reeves.)  Actors or as people, we all have differences. 

In June's case, she of course, has even more reasons to do that.  I do think however that is also probably part of who Elizabeth Moss is in real life, and it's worked for her in most roles.  She CAN come back snappy when the character would, and has.  Sometimes though, her deliberateness is warranted and appropriate. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The darkness and the speaking voices is just annoying. Why does everything have to be so dark? 

My big pet peeve is that the men act as if June is so incredibly gorgeous. I am sorry, Moss is a good actress but IMO she is just plain looking. Even in real life, she is just average. Alexis BLedel is much prettier. Petty, I know.

Edited by cincivic · Reason: I can't spell.
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, cincivic said:

The darkness and the speaking voices is just annoying. Why does everything have to be so dark? 

My big pet peeve is that the men act as if June is so incredibly gorgeous. I am sorry, Moss is a good actress but IMO she is just plain looking. Even in real life, she is just average. Alexis BLedel is much prettier. Pretty, I know.

Alexis Bledel is absolutely gorgeous. However if you’re thin & blonde that goes a long way in some circles towards being attractive. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, cincivic said:

The darkness and the speaking voices is just annoying. Why does everything have to be so dark? 

My big pet peeve is that the men act as if June is so incredibly gorgeous. I am sorry, Moss is a good actress but IMO she is just plain looking. Even in real life, she is just average. Alexis BLedel is much prettier. Pretty, I know.

Elizabeth Moss was the most convincing as the burn victim in Girl Interrupted.

Yeah I don’t get the hype around her either. She’s one of those tropes in shows where people have to keep telling you how gorgeous she is in universe because your own eyes won’t. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Okay so this complaint is coming from someone who had read the book long before the show was even announced. Now if anyone is not caught up with all of the episodes that have been released so far I will warn you that I am going to bring up some specifics from the show so this is a spoiler warning. So the show did its very best to hold up to what the book said, in the first season I found myself amazed by the way each shot was framed. With season two I find myself staring so intently for another reason. The screen is waaaaay to dark all the time. I can understand it being used in the episode where June is suffering what she believes to be a miscarriage, in that scene the darkness makes the next part where she wakes up in the extremely white hospital very interesting. The contrast between the two was stunning. But the use of a generally dark season is just so irritating. 

The fact that Fred did not sustain more injuries than others despite the fact that a bomb of such power killed so many people. It seemed almost too convenient that he had survived while many others had passed away. But instead of loosing a limb or any other kind of injuries he just limps around, which took away some of the power that such an attack held before. If Fred had been more severely injured we could have seen a greater struggle in terms of June's opinion on the bombing. This being because despite the fact it threatens the safety of Gilead staying a nation it also removes some of June's power in the house. With Fred there she has a chance to use herself to manipulate him, without him there she is more vulnerable. A struggle like that would have been much more interesting to see. 

Another issue with the show has been how lean the guards of Gilead have been on the handmaids. In season one anything done out of line would have gotten you seriously punished but now the handmaids seem to have more room to behave how ever they want to, which in turn takes away the fear factor of anyone catching the small rebellions they preform, like the telling of each others real names or talking at a volume level above a whisper. It really makes no sense to me because at the start of the season with the fake hanging I though that there would be a bigger crack down on the discipline on handmaids, even after the bombing I thought that any actions out of the blue could be more severely punished but now it just seems like handmaid can bring up the time before and shout all they want without consequences. 

The next issue is something I have struggled with for the entire season. The show is just too unpredictable. And I mean this in a bad way. When the car had came for June in the first place at the start of the season I thought she was free, she obviously wasn't. The use of that scene made the show much more powerful! I just kept watching. But then when June had made it to the plane I thought for sure she had finally gotten out, but then it was shown that she hadn't. Which is fine. I can understand that at least. But the whole season it just feels like they have been putting the characters in such pits of despair. It leaves you thinking 'Oh there is no WAY that she is gonna get out of this one' but then the next week she does just like that! I find that they use this device a lot in TV shows and when executed properly it makes the show that much better. The issue with this device in the handmaids tale is that they are using it waaay to much. Whenever I see any of the characters getting in trouble my instant reaction is not to get worried about what will happen next but rather I just know that whatever mess they get into wont even be an issue next episode. The fact that they've used this technique so much has taken away some of the shows suspense for me. 

Overall none of my pet peeves are going to ever stop me from watching the show, but the little things are kinda starting to pile up. I hope that as the season continues we are able to see more of what the rest of the world thinks about Gilead, or how June plans to get out before the baby is born like the had previously promised. I want most importantly for the show to wrap up all the loose ends before it ends. Most shows just leave the viewers up to decide what happens next and with the handmaids tale I just want to see how all of the characters end up once the show is over. That way I dont have to come up with an ending myself. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/23/2018 at 7:22 AM, GraceK said:

Elizabeth Moss was the most convincing as the burn victim in Girl Interrupted.

Yeah I don’t get the hype around her either. She’s one of those tropes in shows where people have to keep telling you how gorgeous she is in universe because your own eyes won’t. 

I thought the same thing in Mad Men, when for a time it seemed as though every straight man in New York City and several lesbians were hitting on her character Peggy. I can buy it more readily here, though. Fred and Nick are sexually frustrated, so they can probably convince themselves that June is a real beauty. A lot has been written about the restrictions on the women, rightly, but one detail in the book stood out on how the guys are restricted too: They can't put their hands in their pockets, lest they be tempted to masturbate. So any woman who is halfway attractive and isn't in a position to say no will be like catnip to them. I never quite understood why Luke left his wife over June, though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BumbleBear said:

Okay so this complaint is coming from someone who had read the book long before the show was even announced. Now if anyone is not caught up with all of the episodes that have been released so far I will warn you that I am going to bring up some specifics from the show so this is a spoiler warning. So the show did its very best to hold up to what the book said, in the first season I found myself amazed by the way each shot was framed. With season two I find myself staring so intently for another reason. The screen is waaaaay to dark all the time. I can understand it being used in the episode where June is suffering what she believes to be a miscarriage, in that scene the darkness makes the next part where she wakes up in the extremely white hospital very interesting. The contrast between the two was stunning. But the use of a generally dark season is just so irritating. 

The fact that Fred did not sustain more injuries than others despite the fact that a bomb of such power killed so many people. It seemed almost too convenient that he had survived while many others had passed away. But instead of loosing a limb or any other kind of injuries he just limps around, which took away some of the power that such an attack held before. If Fred had been more severely injured we could have seen a greater struggle in terms of June's opinion on the bombing. This being because despite the fact it threatens the safety of Gilead staying a nation it also removes some of June's power in the house. With Fred there she has a chance to use herself to manipulate him, without him there she is more vulnerable. A struggle like that would have been much more interesting to see. 

Another issue with the show has been how lean the guards of Gilead have been on the handmaids. In season one anything done out of line would have gotten you seriously punished but now the handmaids seem to have more room to behave how ever they want to, which in turn takes away the fear factor of anyone catching the small rebellions they preform, like the telling of each others real names or talking at a volume level above a whisper. It really makes no sense to me because at the start of the season with the fake hanging I though that there would be a bigger crack down on the discipline on handmaids, even after the bombing I thought that any actions out of the blue could be more severely punished but now it just seems like handmaid can bring up the time before and shout all they want without consequences. 

The next issue is something I have struggled with for the entire season. The show is just too unpredictable. And I mean this in a bad way. When the car had came for June in the first place at the start of the season I thought she was free, she obviously wasn't. The use of that scene made the show much more powerful! I just kept watching. But then when June had made it to the plane I thought for sure she had finally gotten out, but then it was shown that she hadn't. Which is fine. I can understand that at least. But the whole season it just feels like they have been putting the characters in such pits of despair. It leaves you thinking 'Oh there is no WAY that she is gonna get out of this one' but then the next week she does just like that! I find that they use this device a lot in TV shows and when executed properly it makes the show that much better. The issue with this device in the handmaids tale is that they are using it waaay to much. Whenever I see any of the characters getting in trouble my instant reaction is not to get worried about what will happen next but rather I just know that whatever mess they get into wont even be an issue next episode. The fact that they've used this technique so much has taken away some of the shows suspense for me. 

Overall none of my pet peeves are going to ever stop me from watching the show, but the little things are kinda starting to pile up. I hope that as the season continues we are able to see more of what the rest of the world thinks about Gilead, or how June plans to get out before the baby is born like the had previously promised. I want most importantly for the show to wrap up all the loose ends before it ends. Most shows just leave the viewers up to decide what happens next and with the handmaids tale I just want to see how all of the characters end up once the show is over. That way I dont have to come up with an ending myself. 

Yeah, I get where you're coming from and I agree with all of it. 

Now here's something that's not going to be a popular opinion...

Episode 10 did nothing for me. 

I've read hundreds of comments on FB, Reddit, etc. about how people were crying and upset while watching it. About how "wonderful" of a mother June was for the way she spoke to Hannah and about how traumatizing the rape was. I watch a ton of horror movies. (Seriously, my son and I set a goal last year to watch 1 horror movie every day and we're currently on day 277. We do it for our YT channel.) It's possible that I am desensitized, or it could be because I was massively spoiled for episode 10 and therefore none of it was a surprise. I don't know. Rather than being upset from an emotional standpoint, however, I was just frustrated from a story view.

And I found myself rolling my eyes through a lot of it.

This was the last episode that could be sent in for Elisabeth Moss' Emmy nomination and I felt like they literally tried to throw in as much drama as possible "for your Emmy consideration" (quoting an over-the-top episode of MARRIED WITH CHILDREN who once made fun of the process). Here's June getting raped! The drama, the horror! Here's June traumatized! Notice the hollow look on her face! Here she is seeing her daughter for the first time in years! The tears! The desperation! The joy! And, oh no, here she is watching her lover getting attacked! The fear, the loss! And, wait for it...now she's abandoned in the middle of nowhere...in the SNOW! And ready to give birth! The anguish! 

You know what scene DID make me an emotional wreck? June in the hospital with the bitch of a nurse implying that she was a bad mother. (You know, 3 or 4 years earlier when Hannah looked approximately the same age that she looks now?) Now THAT shit was scary. This show needs to go back to learning nuance and subtlety. 

I mean, I'll continue watching the show but it's getting harder and harder for me to take it seriously. 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Umbelina said:

Perhaps because looks alone are not what makes a woman beautiful, or desirable?

THANK YOU!

These comments about Elisabeth Moss’s looks are so... unnecessary. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×