Giant Misfit

Disappeared

On 6/11/2018 at 10:37 AM, Grumpbump said:

Regarding the most recent episode - the 18-year old Martin, his disappearance on its face appears to be deliberate.  But here's where I get frustrated with this show.   Is this show about just letting the family members pontificate about how much their loved one is missed, or is it about locating these people?  In the instances of adults missing, why doesn't this show take a more practical approach and really lay out facts and evidence to actually help locate someone?  

I'm going on about this because of the choice not to release the note that Martin left his family (I realize that it's the family's decision).  And maybe I missed something, but why was there a discussion about his gender identity/sexuality, only to have the family state that there was no issue? 

I finally caught this episode last night and wanted to throw shit at the TV. While I don't think the note would have been helpful to the average armchair detective who wanted to find Martin, I think it would have been helpful, narratively speaking, to include what it said—or don't bother mentioning it at all since I was thinking about what it could have said throughout the entire episode. It's just my hunch, but I believe that Martin was having sexual/identity issues and felt he couldn't confide in anyone about them and went off somewhere to either commit suicide or carve out a new life for himself. How he would do the latter with going undetected is beyond me, but I don't think he met with any foul play. Something was clearly torturing him—and without knowing the contents of the note, we'll never know what it was. 

I really think this show does a complete disservice to the missing. While there are some facts interspersed, the show basically breaks down to, "Oh, everything was great at home/we were a great family/[missing person] was a great human being/the end." This narrative contrivance could well be handled in 30 minutes—the show is needlessly long especially when it comes to the constant repetition of talking heads all repeating the same thing of, "[missing person] is awesome/we miss them and hope they come home." 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Surrealist said:

There was another case involving a man (can't remember his name) who committed suicide out in the desert so that his family could be provided for through his life insurance. He tried to stage it to look like a murder, but that backfired when police did their investigation. His wife wasn't in on it, but I felt sorry for his family. 

That skeevy Joe Gliniewicz did that too.

• Like 1

The Michael Chambers case is being hotly discussed on Websleuths. Many do not feel it was suicide and are offering a lot of food for thought. I can’t decide. I did think so but I can’t get past the body not being found. To me that suggests foul play. Or if he did hide himself that well before suicide, it seems especially cruel to his family, and he did not sound like a cruel person. 

• Like 3

REF. the mother who went missing from her home.  Meat was discovered in her freezer that a convicted killer used to sell to gain access to homes, but, he denies he ever met this lady.  A glass of wine and an empty glass were found in the house, like she had drank some and was going to pour another person a glass.  A co-worker admitted that he had gone over that night, but, denied seeing her.  Said she wasn't home.  He later died. She still hasn't been located.  Anyone recall her name? 

• Like 1

Nancy Moyer. 

I liked this episode. People acknowledged her riskier behaviors so she wasn’t treated like a saint without judging her as deserving a terrible fate. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, peachybean said:

Nancy Moyer. 

I liked this episode. People acknowledged her riskier behaviors so she wasn’t treated like a saint without judging her as deserving a terrible fate. 

Yes, you're right.  So tragic.  There was another mother who was featured last weekend as well.  This one was blonde. 

Hearing the daughter speak on her missing mom, Nancy Moyer, was absolutely heartbreaking. Sometimes the pain of the other victims of these crimes-- sweet, innocent little kids-- isn't made as clear. 

I was watching this with my husband, saying "you just can't be a woman in this world." I know of course there are plenty of male victims, but these shows and stories sometimes make me cautious even in my own home and are the reason why my husband (6' 4" + strong) can go running alone in woods whenever and I won't (I think that is how that meat guy found and killed the other woman mentioned in the show?). Or why I park close to the building I'm entering, directly under streetlights, look all around me when I get out of my car, have secret code talk with my husband when I'm leaving for and arrive at a place, etc.  

And the fact that there are TWO super creepy men who could've hurt Nancy. Ugh. About the meat guy: did he OWN the company? Was he its only employee? Because the interviewees kept saying he HAD to have met her even though he claimed he didn't. Were there prints on the meat packaging in the freezer? WHY WAS HE DRIVING WITH A MURDERED BODY IN HIS PASSENGER SEAT? And the other guy Jim, the one time lover, was suspicious with the lying and rolling into her house ininvited. I don't know who is more likely guilty...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wierzbowski said:

Hearing the daughter speak on her missing mom, Nancy Moyer, was absolutely heartbreaking. Sometimes the pain of the other victims of these crimes-- sweet, innocent little kids-- isn't made as clear. 

Yes. She sounded on the verge of tears throughout the entire episode and I just wanted to hug her. Poor girl. 

About the meat guy: did he OWN the company? Was he its only employee? Because the interviewees kept saying he HAD to have met her even though he claimed he didn't. Were there prints on the meat packaging in the freezer? WHY WAS HE DRIVING WITH A MURDERED BODY IN HIS PASSENGER SEAT? And the other guy Jim, the one time lover, was suspicious with the lying and rolling into her house ininvited. I don't know who is more likely guilty...

All your questions about the meat guy are mine as well. Didn't they mention that he was only given a few short years in prison at one point in the episode, too? Why not longer? 

The thing I wondered about Jim, he claims he went into her house and didn't find her there and was concerned. Yet he didn't think to, like, report his concerns to the police right away, apparently? It took a few days, I believe, before he even mentioned his trip to her house. That's rather suspicious right there, I'd say.

• Like 6

I don't recall what was said on the show, but the meat guy (Bernard Howell) is currently in a Washington state prison and his scheduled release date is in 2036. 

I really lean towards the co-worker, Jim. Of course it's speculation and it's not like there isn't good reason to suspect Howell, but the woman Howell killed was walking or bicycling on a trail. He slit her throat and she died from a blunt force blow to the head and strangulation. He got caught when he randomly stopped and asked some guy he didn't know to help him move the body that was in the passenger seat of his truck wrapped in a sleeping bag. When the police showed up, Howell said he found the body on the trail and was only trying to "help" the family by saving them $5000 for funeral costs. While he denied killing her, he did admit to having sex with her. Hard to say if all that was the result of drugs or mental illness, but it seems like a totally different scenario (and crime scene) than the disappearance of Nancy Moyer. 

It's hard for me to get over the hurdle that an innocent co-worker (one who wants to date the missing person, none-the-less!) would learn that Nancy was missing and just not say anything to anyone about how he had been to her house that weekend. So, he calls her up to ask her out on a date and then withholds information about what he knows? He only decides to bring it up after the police have interviewed him and he realizes they have his phone messages asking her out and that they are looking at him as a potential suspect. My guess is he called her, got no response back, waited outside her house, saw her get out and go inside, and he went to the door. Not sure whether he immediately killed her or she let him in willingly (hence, the second wine glass), but I do think she was killed that night and that he had all weekend to clean up the crime scene and move her body. It's too bad they couldn't ever get probable cause to search his vehicle. 

• Like 8

On 6/27/2018 at 9:11 PM, The Closer said:

It's hard for me to get over the hurdle that an innocent co-worker (one who wants to date the missing person, none-the-less!) would learn that Nancy was missing and just not say anything to anyone about how he had been to her house that weekend. So, he calls her up to ask her out on a date and then withholds information about what he knows? He only decides to bring it up after the police have interviewed him and he realizes they have his phone messages asking her out and that they are looking at him as a potential suspect. My guess is he called her, got no response back, waited outside her house, saw her get out and go inside, and he went to the door. Not sure whether he immediately killed her or she let him in willingly (hence, the second wine glass), but I do think she was killed that night and that he had all weekend to clean up the crime scene and move her body. It's too bad they couldn't ever get probable cause to search his vehicle. 

OMG. Yes, I think it was totally this guy Jim who killed her. And I think his wife (ex-wife?) was covering for him by not allowing the children to be interviewed by police. The evolving story is never a good sign that anyone's being truthful, but to come back and later say he was in the house but only to "check" on her (or whatever) is totally insane. 

To me, the larger mystery of this episode was why anyone was buying meat from some rando who happened to knock at the door.

• Like 8

On 6/27/2018 at 9:11 PM, The Closer said:

He only decides to bring it up after the police have interviewed him and he realizes they have his phone messages asking her out and that they are looking at him as a potential suspect.

And don't forget, the police said he was physically agitated and nervous when they showed up. Of course that doesn't mean he's guilty but when you add everything up, he doesn't come out looking innocent at all.

• Like 3

I think Disappeared needs to do some updates on their episodes.  ID aired the one on Elizabeth Salgado today and didn't do a follow up that her remains have been found in a canyon in Utah.

https://www.apnews.com/e47439d115064f2981dbb35b4e473ab0

I watched the one on the 17 young man who also went missing in Utah and this time, I got a different perspective.  The night before he went missing, his father took away his phone and computer as punishment.  No one else saw him after that.  The father did not appear on the Disappeared episode, personally.  Just some old video.  Did anyone see this? Also, While the mother said that she and her husband passed the polygraph, the police offer no comment on whether they did or didn't. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think Disappeared needs to do some updates on their episodes.  ID aired the one on Elizabeth Salgado today and didn't do a follow up that her remains have been found in a canyon in Utah.

https://www.apnews.com/e47439d115064f2981dbb35b4e473ab0

I watched the one on the 17 young man who also went missing in Utah and this time, I got a different perspective.  The night before he went missing, his father took away his phone and computer as punishment.  No one else saw him after that.  The father did not appear on the Disappeared episode, personally.  Just some old video.  Did anyone see this? Also, While the mother said that she and her husband passed the polygraph, the police offer no comment on whether they did or didn't. 

Yeah, I hate when they don't update their episodes at the end when the person is no longer missing.

I remember the one about the 17-year-old. Are you thinking the father was involved somehow?

12 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

Yeah, I hate when they don't update their episodes at the end when the person is no longer missing.

I remember the one about the 17-year-old. Are you thinking the father was involved somehow?

I hate to accuse an innocent person.  Nothing worse than to be accused of something that you didn't do, but, there are some amusing pieces that would really cause me to question if something happened in the home that is not being disclosed. And, it seems the police are also suspicious based on their limited and carefully worded comments. This is what I speculate, based on watching the episode again. 

There was a lot of resentment that was brewing in the home.  The son had an aversion to practice driving the car. He had made up an excuse in order to avoid doing it with his dad. His dad was insistent that he do it.  That was one storm that was brewing.  Then, the son violated house rule by using computer after his cutoff time. Dad was upset.  Up at 1:30 a.m. to take away his phone and computer. More intensity.  Son was so upset that he wrote out his misery after that.  Then, the son is never seen again.  To me, mom would have known that son would have been devastated with such a loss of his phone and computer.  Would she really have not spoken to him, hugged him or comforted him before going about her day?  I mean, this is a young man who had threatened suicide before.....it's difficult for me to buy that she thought she heard him moving around in his room and that she thought she heard him leave through the garage door, yet she didn't lay eyes on him.  I don't buy that.  Not sure if she's just covering for husband or what. 

And then, husband stays at home at all that day.....the same day that son doesn't make it to school......it's a lot to swallow.  I don't believe the account of some lady who says she saw the boy when dropping off her child at a neighbor's house later that day.  Eyewitness accounts are very unreliable, so, I think she was mistaken about the day, it was another kid or she's just trying to be helpful. 

I suspect that both parents did not pass polygraph test and that's one reason that they have not been eliminated as suspects. And, that's why police will not comment on them. It's likely dad didn't appear due to legal advice.  I noticed that the detective said she believed that there was one person who could come forward and solve this.  I suspect she's talking about the mother and mother knows that if she comes clean, it would implicate her husband.  

There was an extensive search of the areas around their house and no body was found.  This was a very immature young man with no real skills at surviving outside of his bedroom.  I find it unlikely that he's hitchhiking around, imo.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

Interesting points, SunnyBeBe.  If you haven't already read the discussion on the episode, it starts on page 3, April 3 post. 

Thanks for the heads up.  I hadn't read them, but, just did.  I think that most of those sentiments were similar to mine, the first time I saw the episode of Macin in Utah, however, for some reason, I saw it differently the second time.  I'm not sure why.  

I am also suspect of the note mother claims that she found much later after her son's disappearance.  Did it have date on it? Was it in his handwriting?  Could it  have been written much earlier, before they moved to Utah?  It just seems rather convenient to me. It really seems that with a good private investigator, they could locate this young man.  I didn't recall that they ever hired one.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 3

On 1/28/2018 at 5:36 AM, mamadrama said:

David Riemens, the guy who built the "hobbit house" and lived in a treehouse, was found a couple of days ago. Or rather, his body was found. His body was discovered only 4 miles from the Dollar Store and VERY close to the property in which he lived. They are investigating it as a crime, though they haven't released any details yet. 

I am still trying to put this one together. I think it's someone he knew. 

Just catching up after being away from this forum for awhile.  I'm sad to hear about David Riemens but also glad that his family and friends finally have some closure. 

I'm also sure it was someone he knew ... or more importantly, someone who knew David would have a fair amount of cash on him for his upcoming trip.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 10:48 AM, walnutqueen said:

The McStay murder trial starts tomorrow 1/7/19.

I'm trying to keep up on this trial which is, I'm guessing,  going to take a long time. I happened upon a news article from 2017 from the San Bernardino News and it stated that prosecutors believe Summer was raped before (?) she was killed. It's also possible she was raped after she was killed but ether way.....could this get any worse? Chase Merritt was arrested in November of 2014 and we're just now starting his trial. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I'm trying to keep up on this trial which is, I'm guessing,  going to take a long time. I happened upon a news article from 2017 from the San Bernardino News and it stated that prosecutors believe Summer was raped before (?) she was killed. It's also possible she was raped after she was killed but ether way.....could this get any worse? Chase Merritt was arrested in November of 2014 and we're just now starting his trial. 

One look at him was enough to convince me he was a sicko.  This "story" needs resolution & retribution.   Stat.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2016 at 9:16 PM, Giant Misfit said:

During the middle of the Brian Histand Disappeared, I got antsy and Googled him; his remains were found in the desert this past January. So, naturally I waited for the show to mention this seeing that it was a new episode. But, nope! Not even a tacked on title card at the end acknowledging his disappearance had been solved, so to speak. I'm wondering how long this show had been in the can before it was broadcast? I mean, surely the producers were made aware he'd been found, right? 

And what's with these parents who think their kids couldn't possibly be mentally ill because "it doesn't run in the family?" Ugh. 

I'm just now watching this series from Investigation Discoveries available on Hulu, with this episode about BMX rider Brian Histand being in Season 7 (2016).  There is now an update at the end about Brian's remains being found 1.5 miles from the Arizona alfalfa field where he was seen in January 2016.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1