OnceSane

S02.E03: The Drunk Slut

Worried about threats against them, Alex and Clay urge Jessica to testify about Bryce. Clay enlists Tony's help to find a potential witness.

The flashback scene reminded me that I like Alex so much better without the bleached blonde hair. He's also been less of a selfish dick this season too.

I guess Clay hasn't watched enough movies about rehab to know that they usually take your phone away as soon as you get there.

Clay was being so petty and jealous. He's mad at Hannah because he thinks that she kissed "half the school." First of all, you didn't have the balls to ask her out so you have no right to be jealous that she decided to kiss other people while you were just hanging out in the friend zone for most of the school year. Secondly, so what if she kissed half the school (which is a ridiculously slut shaming exaggeration)? 

Tony has a glorious head of hair. I just wish he didn't slick it back so often. It looks so much better when it's just loose.

How are they going to get Justin clean and sober in time to testify? Heh, and when are they going to mention to him that they want him to go to court to say yes, I let Bryce rape my unconscious girlfriend?

• Like 13

God, Clay is such a jealous dickwad. I sympathize with his grief, but at the same time, he's done nothing but make snide remarks toward anyone who showed an ounce of interest in Hannah. His snide "you kissed Hannah" to Alex was just irritating. Boy, I know you're going through a lot right now, but you weren't the only person in Hannah's life. So sit down, shut up, and stop making your relationship with her as being so important. 

I am enjoying each character getting to have the narrative voiceover, depending on who's testifying. I liked Jessica's narrative quite a bit. After last season of them starting to give her layers but not enough, I enjoy them fleshing her out more here. I knew I could grow to care about Jessica this season, and I'm glad they've taken the time to tell her story as well.

Yeah, I forgot how much Flashback Alex sucked. I know it was only technically a year ago, but he's definitely changed a lot since then, but especially since Hannah's death.

I'm not surprised at Justin's whereabouts when Clay and Tony found him. It's a very sad situation, even for an asshole like Justin. That being said, do they really believe that Justin will willingly testify against Bryce? I think, as much as he cares for Jessica, if he didn't willingly come out with the truth before, he probably won't now. It would take a whole lot to get him to. 

Tyler's stuff with his new friend Cyrus and I guess Cyrus' sister isn't horrible. Hopefully, the storyline continues to lead somewhere more positive, rather than taking a dark turn.

I guess Marcus' story is up next. He's the next one that needs to be redeemed, so if they can do that like they started to do with Courtney (at least in the sense of me feeling more than just hatred), then I'll be further impressed. 

• Like 5

Three episodes in and this season isn't even close to touching the quality of last's. This is moving agonisingly slowly.

• Like 11

First post!
This is definitely not how I expected season two to be told and, though it's even slower-paced than the first season, there are a few things I really dig.

I'm kind of in love with Snarky Ghost Hannah. I think having her be the voice of the audience in teasing Clay about all the annoying things he says and does is a welcome addition. Wish she would have called him out on his dumb "kissing half the school" comment though-- if he's trying to prove himself different than the other boys, that isn't helping. 

I also really enjoy the sense of humor. Between the 'am I racist?' line and Alex's deadpan sarcasm and even the cripple humor, I am definitely enjoying the levity. Wasn't expecting so much in the middle of all the angst from these two seasons.

Justin, ugh man. That's a heartbreaking story if I've ever seen one. However, I'm really happy to see Tyler find a crew of outcasts. Here's to hoping he ditches the guns and isn't the subject of season three.

I still think Marcus is beyond redemption and don't expect him to prove me wrong on the next episode.

Get well, Skye.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 5:01 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Tony has a glorious head of hair. I just wish he didn't slick it back so often. It looks so much better when it's just loose.

I think that to myself every time he's on screen lol. 

Those "street" kids in Oakland <face palm> nope and nope. I know the "Town" is more gentrified as of late but damn! This was so off it was laughable. And a show about a high school set in NorCal (and I'm guessing the bay area) where the word "hella" is not even uttered once in 2 seasons. That kind of stuff takes me out. But its rare that a show really gets it right with area specific slang and authentic portrayals of how teenagers actually speak so they're not alone.

• Like 2

Tyler's stuff with his new friend Cyrus and I guess Cyrus' sister isn't horrible. Hopefully, the storyline continues to lead somewhere more positive, rather than taking a dark turn.

Yeah sadly, I don't see that being the case. I thought it was clear that the guy was building some type of home-made bomb when his sister came in and the way he spoke to her, totally getting underlying psycho vibes. I wish this would be a heartwarming story of Tyler finally finding friends and a place were he feels he belongs but yeah, not getting a good vibe at all.

• Like 4

It really is so weird looking at the flashbacks, where everyone is kind of an asshole, and the current story, where everyone is more miserable, but are generally nicer. Well, most everyone. Some people are dicks in both timelines, or alright in both timelines. It is always impressive how the show makes me want to smack the characters upside the head one minute, and give them a hug the next. Except Bryce, of course. Screw that guy. 

Whats become of Justin is so sad, but probably realistic, being a homeless teenager from an abusive home. Its even more striking seeing him in the flashback, as compared to how he is now. Justin can be such an asshole, but at this point, I cant even be mad at him. Its like kicking a dog that bit me once, but is now living in the street with two broken legs and fleas. 

Clay and snarky ghost Hannah are a fun pair, especially as snarky ghost Hannah is quick to call Clay out for his crap. His whole "did you kiss half the school?" thing is just so petty, especially as he tries to prove that he is better than the many sexist asshole guys at their school. Dude, Hannah kissed, like, three people that you've heard of. I think that Clays mental picture of Hannah, a super sweet and innocent tragic figure who he idealized, is starting to get a bit dirtier, at least to him. Really, Hannah can kiss (or whatever) as many people as she wants and it doesn't make her any less of a a good person, but it might not fit in as well with Clays version of her. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Negritude said:

Those "street" kids in Oakland <face palm> nope and nope. I know the "Town" is more gentrified as of late but damn! This was so off it was laughable. And a show about a high school set in NorCal (and I'm guessing the bay area) where the word "hella" is not even uttered once in 2 seasons. That kind of stuff takes me out. But its rare that a show really gets it right with area specific slang and authentic portrayals of how teenagers actually speak so they're not alone.

The show was filmed in Vallejo. San Rafael, Sebastopol, and Mare Island and they’ve used locations that make it obvious to NorCal people that the show is set here (unlike some other shows that try to pass off one location for another and deliberately don’t show recognizable spots or landmarks). There are some links on the first page of the media thread with specific shootng locations if you’re interested in checking them out!

I live in Berkeley and although hella is still around, it’s a lot less pervasive than it was 10-20 years ago. But the reason I buy the lack of hella on this show is that with a few exceptions (mainly Justin) the main characters are very suburban trenagers (heh, although you could argue at this point, suburban teenagers are more likely to use slang like hella!). Even though Oakland and SF aren’t that far away, these kids might as well be living in any suburban neighborhood in America because they are so untouched by SF and Oakland.

What caught my ear was that when Tony and Clay were talking about going to look for Justin in Oakland, they kept referring to it as the city. Up here, the city always means SF. In local newspapers, SF is often referred to in print as The City. Even people who live way out in the burbs like Walnut Creek or Livermore (and for whom Oakland is closer) know that terminology and call SF “the city.” No one ever refers to Oakland as the city. I’m guessing this was the show’s attempt to make the show seem a little more generic/less location specific and they intended it to come off as “we live in this little town and Justin is in The Big Scary City” but they kind of ruined that by specifically telling us that he was in Oakland. 

Realistically, I think that the show is trying to be presented as more timeless so that it won’t be one of those shows/movies that ages badly, but I agree that if you live within 100 miles of NorCal, these little things are noticeable. 

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:16 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The show was filmed in Vallejo. San Rafael, Sebastopol, and Mare Island and they’ve used locations that make it obvious to NorCal people that the show is set here (unlike some other shows that try to pass off one location for another and deliberately don’t show recognizable spots or landmarks). There are some links on the first page of the media thread with specific shootng locations if you’re interested in checking them out!

I live in Berkeley and although hella is still around, it’s a lot less pervasive than it was 10-20 years ago. But the reason I buy the lack of hella on this show is that with a few exceptions (mainly Justin) the main characters are very suburban trenagers (heh, although you could argue at this point, suburban teenagers are more likely to use slang like hella!). Even though Oakland and SF aren’t that far away, these kids might as well be living in any suburban neighborhood in America because they are so untouched by SF and Oakland.

What caught my ear was that when Tony and Clay were talking about going to look for Justin in Oakland, they kept referring to it as the city. Up here, the city always means SF. In local newspapers, SF is often referred to in print as The City. Even people who live way out in the burbs like Walnut Creek or Livermore (and for whom Oakland is closer) know that terminology and call SF “the city.” No one ever refers to Oakland as the city. I’m guessing this was the show’s attempt to make the show seem a little more generic/less location specific and they intended it to come off as “we live in this little town and Justin is in The Big Scary City” but they kind of ruined that by specifically telling us that he was in Oakland. 

Realistically, I think that the show is trying to be presented as more timeless so that it won’t be one of those shows/movies that ages badly, but I agree that if you live within 100 miles of NorCal, these little things are noticeable. 

True about hella being less pervasive now than 10-20 years ago. I'm in Sac and although I'm not a native, I first lived here in the early 00's in my college years and recently came back to the area and I'm not around a lot of teenagers so maybe they don't say it as much. I had the same issue with Ladybird, but that's a whole other discussion lol.

I didn't catch them referring to Oakland as the City and I just referenced it as "The Town" in my original post.

Good point about making it more timeless, I guess that's what a lot of other shows are going for as well.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 4:16 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was a high school counselor in San Francisco in the mid-late 1990's, and the kids were using "hella" then. Hard to believe it's still trendy so many years later.

• Like 1

I live in San Jose and I haven’t heard anyone say hella in years, unless it was done so ironically. I also noticed the reference to Oakland as “the city,” which stuck out like out a sore thumb. Even the smallest Oakland suburbs don’t refer to it as such. 

I wasted a lot of time trying to match suburbs to their fake city, like where would you find a family as rich as Bryce’s and as poor as Justin’s in the same district. But they probably didn’t give it that much thought. Just Fake Town, USA. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, dlyn said:

I live in San Jose and I haven’t heard anyone say hella in years, unless it was done so ironically. I also noticed the reference to Oakland as “the city,” which stuck out like out a sore thumb. Even the smallest Oakland suburbs don’t refer to it as such. 

I wasted a lot of time trying to match suburbs to their fake city, like where would you find a family as rich as Bryce’s and as poor as Justin’s in the same district. But they probably didn’t give it that much thought. Just Fake Town, USA. 

Ha, glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed “the city” thing!

Although I totally agree that it’s rare to find a city that would have kids like Bryce and Justin going to school together, they definitely exist. In the Bay Area, Berkeley is one of thise places. There is one public high school for the entire city (which has a population of over 100K). There are kids who live in custom built multimillion dollar homes in the Berkeley Hills going to school with kids who live in HUD subsidized apartments and get free school lunches. There are kids with fancy brand new cars given to them by their parents and kids who are drug dealers. There are also regular middle class kids, which still represents a wide range of income. Mr. EB and most of his family (including both parents, all of his aunts and uncles, his siblings, and several of his cousins) went to Berkeley High (from the 1960s through today) so I have decades of stories about the huge economic divide in the student population.

According to them, hella has been around since at least the early 80s. Back then, they said hecka in elementary school until they got old/brave enough to say hella. I still heard kids saying hecka about 10-15 years.

• Like 3

On 5/21/2018 at 11:43 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Yeah sadly, I don't see that being the case. I thought it was clear that the guy was building some type of home-made bomb when his sister came in and the way he spoke to her, totally getting underlying psycho vibes. I wish this would be a heartwarming story of Tyler finally finding friends and a place were he feels he belongs but yeah, not getting a good vibe at all.

Yes, they were talking abut detonators. The show is clearly hinting at Tyler being a future school shooter. Whether this will actually come to pass remains to be seen. Tyler's immediate creepy focus on Mackenzie in the kitchen didn't reassure me. Tyler, just because a girl is reasonably nice to you doesn't mean she HAS to be your next GF.

On 5/22/2018 at 4:16 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

OMG. I could NOT figure out what was listed on that postcard. I finally decided he was living in "DAKLAND." I couldn't read it!

Fascinating discussion on the NoCal specific use of "hella." I got that word from The Real World back when they were casting from that area--Malik used that word a lot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Tyler, just because a girl is reasonably nice to you doesn't mean she HAS to be your next GF.

OMG. I could NOT figure out what was listed on that postcard. I finally decided he was living in "DAKLAND." I couldn't read it!

Fascinating discussion on the NoCal specific use of "hella." I got that word from The Real World back when they were casting from that area--Malik used that word a lot.

Seriously - I know that people get crushes for any damn reason, especially at that age, but it drives me crazy when guys act like any girl who isn't actively hostile to them MUST like them and must therefore become their girlfriend.

Hahahaha, I was totally cracking up over Dakland!

Talk about a blast from the past - Malik from The Real World! Here's a crazy thought - the characters on this show were not born when that season of the Real World was filmed.

I think that hella got its first mainstream (non-NorCal) exposure from the South Park episode Spookyfish:

• Like 1

I don't really like that this episode was basically saying: All girls have it hard, but only a few boys do. Look it's high school. From what I can tell there are as many mean girls as there are mean boys and boys and girls are equally victims. Only that boys have to be strong and can't turn to anybody when they have been victimized.

I guess they decided to adress the criticism many people had of Hannah in season one, that she didn't tell Jessica about the rape, while she was still alive, with yet another retcon.

I'm not against the retcons in general (though it's really a few too many), but most so far seem to have been about putting Hannah in a better light and I don't like that. I liked that she wasn't perfect and made mistakes in season one. But now those mistakes get retconed away, one by one. I half expect them to explain that she didn't try to stop the rape because somebody spread super glue on the floor of the closet she was in or something.

Edited by Miles