OnceSane

S02.E08: The Little Girl

When Hannah's parents come under scrutiny, Jessica reaches out to Mrs. Baker. Justin struggles to stay clean. Clay reconnects with Skye.

So, the tape aftermath exploded. I will say, as much as it screwed up a lot, I couldn't be more satisfied at Bryce's panic when he realized the tapes were out, including his confession. At the very least, it scared him enough, knowing that everyone knew he confessed that. Yep, him calling for his daddy was predictable, but it was nice to see him panic and realize how screwed he was, even for a minute. Even him lashing out at people was not as frustrating, because it was clear he was lashing out because he was panicked. He was verbally letting out his fear, even more obviously this episode, to other people in order for him to feel better.

What surprised me completely was the beginning, when Chloe was in the stall and got out a Sharpie, and then Jessica showed up after her. I completely thought that Chloe was going to go into superdenial by writing some awful things about Jessica. Her crossing out those nasty things, however? That was good.

It seems like the judge really favours the defense attorney. I've noticed in almost single episode, during the courtroom scenes, the judge has, more often than not, overruled Dennis' objections and sustained the defense attorney's.

I love Zach walking out with his sister during the school event. I will say that, despite Marcus being given an ultimatum in order to go through with the truth, he finally did stand against Bryce.

Tyler is certainly becoming a bit more disturbing. Him shooting the bird and then looking at it afterward gave me chills.

The Justin/Alex scenes were good because it led to them ripping on Clay for a bit. And, of course, Clay thinks that he should dictate everything and that he's the only one trying to get justice for Hannah without realizing how it affects other people.

That being said, as much as I think that Justin needed to leave the Jensen home as he can't stay there forever, I also don't think going home to his mother is going to be a permanent thing. 

The Olivia/Jessica scene was very well done.

• Like 5

I swear, I think all of these scenes where Clay sees Hannah just mean he has a brain tumor.

• Like 4

On 5/20/2018 at 12:08 AM, Lady Calypso said:

It seems like the judge really favours the defense attorney. I've noticed in almost single episode, during the courtroom scenes, the judge has, more often than not, overruled Dennis' objections and sustained the defense attorney's.

Yep. They’re Broadchurch Season Two-ing the trial, and I absolutely hate it. 

• Like 4

I laughed when I saw that some of the bathroom graffiti said "FUCK PORTER." Am I going to hell for that? And that was before Clay leaked the tapes so clearly everyone knew that he was doing a shit job.

Hannah's dad is an idiot. They live in a pretty small city and he's just kissing his girlfriend in public thinking that no one will see and recognize him as the pharmacist on Main Street? I don't know if it would be worse for Hannah or Olivia to see it or for someone else to see it and tell one of them.

Man, if Skye managed to get that much clarity in the week or two that she's been in rehab, then maybe Clay needs to go too. I mean, seriously, she is like a completely different person now - calm, emotionally mature, rational, etc.

I'm glad that Jessica went to Hannah's mom. I think they could both really benefit from each other's company.

Oh, poor Justin. He felt bad enough about the trouble he was causing at Clay's house that he went back to Meth Seth's house? I was really afraid he was going to OD when Alex found him. I know he couldn't stay at Clay's forever, but going back to the house where his mom's abusive boyfriend knows he stole $1000 is not going to end well for him, especially before he's had a chance to testify.

Bryce is a typical privileged spoiled brat who hides behind daddy's money. Listen, jackass, just because you got lucky in the birth lottery doesn't mean that you're better than anyone else. And never forget that it's daddy's money, not yours. But as soon as Justin confronted him, Bryce resorted to "my daddy is richer than your daddy." He is the epitome of a rich dickwad.

• Like 5

One thing I can't get over on this show is the way the kids curse at and in front of their parents. The way they speak to each other doesn't faze me at all; kids curse. But there's no code switching! If I yelled at my mother that she'd "ruined my fucking life," she would have beaten me to death.* Actually, going back and forth like that the way Clay did with his mother ("well, you told me you weren't working on the case," etc.) would NEVER have flown in my parents' house growing up. My mother would never have justified her decisions, especially her professional decisions, to me. I don't curse in front of my mother NOW, and I'm an adult (I do curse in front of my dad though now that I'm grown; he doesn't care).

So Andy WAS seeing the woman before everything happened. Figures. And kissing her in public, in what appears to be a small town? Genius.

Bryce is almost cartoonish in his villainy, isn't he?

*Hyperbole. There was no hitting. But speaking to my parents that way Was Not Done.

• Like 15

On 5/22/2018 at 11:18 AM, Empress1 said:

One thing I can't get over on this show is the way the kids curse at and in front of their parents. The way they speak to each other doesn't faze me at all; kids curse. But there's no code switching! 

I know right? I would never dream of wearing in front of my parents as a teen! In front of my friends, or even my sister or cool aunt? All the time. In front of mom and never! It took me years to use the lords name in vain in front of them! Even as an adult in my late 20s, I dont swear in front of my parents, and they dont swear in front of me. 

That being said, I did know people in high school who casually dropped F Bombs in front of their parents and it was no big deal, and it absolutely floored me. I had one friend who’s parents drove us to tennis practice, and they all swore in front of each other, both in anger and just casually, and it blew my sixteen year old mind. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 2

In contrast, I will say that at least these kids still call each other's parents "Mr./Mrs. ______" instead of using their first names. It's always surpising to me when I hear kids call their friends' parents by their first names. One of my friends from college still addresses my mom as Mrs. EB.

• Like 2

Oh, poor Justin. I was really afraid he might OD, thank God Alex managed to get there in time. That whole sequence was great, and I loved their conversation afterwards. I have missed their weird friendship. Of course, then they got to sass Clay when he showed up and, of course, started yelling at Justin because if he does, how will Clay avenge Hannah!?! Yeah, why would Clay think about how much his releasing of the tapes would affect anyone else? At least Justin if off to live at his abusive home again, that should make Clay happy! I might be a little harsh on him, but Clay is working my last nerve this season. 

I will say though, watching Bryce freak out was pretty great, especially when every time he walked by everyone scattered away. Things are looking bad for him, even though daddy's money will probably end up saving his useless ass. No surprise that he runs immediately crying to daddy when he realized the tapes were out. 

So Chloe might actually not stick with Bryce, and might even step up for Jessica!

• Like 4

On 5/20/2018 at 6:49 PM, starri said:

I swear, I think all of these scenes where Clay sees Hannah just mean he has a brain tumor.

I don't think he has a tumor but we know Clay has struggled with his own mental issues, since last season touched on his having previously been on medication. So I hope at some point that is addressed again. I know he is insufferable and can be a major ass but I do think he is at his core a good person. 

I agree about the smug being momentarily wiped off Bryce's face but it's why I wished that Clay had only released some of the tapes or in fact, just the one of Hannah talking about Bryce raping her and then the one of Bryce admitting it to Clay. While a lot of the other people on the tapes made mistakes and in the case of Marcus is an unequivocal asshole, the person who really needs to be fucking taken down here is Bryce. 

That being said, as much as I think that Justin needed to leave the Jensen home as he can't stay there forever,

I mentioned in another episode thread the issues I am having with this season and the issue of Justin is something that is really bugging me. Clay being a clueless idiot is bad enough but I guess we can justify that as his being a kid but I couldn't believe when after finding out about Justin's drug problems, neither of Clay's parents mentioned putting Justin in a fucking rehab facility. For one thing, it'd ensure he wouldn't get access to any more drugs, he'd be able to truly detox safely and he'd be in a safe environment. Instead it was just, "Clay you didn't tell us he was on drugs" and then them arguing about the mother being too obsessed about the case and whatever else. Also, I can't believe the parents also didn't pick up on Justin being on drugs. Like they really bought that flu story? Look at the kid for fuck's sake. He screams junkie. 

Speaking of Clay's parents, I was surprised and confused to find out that his mom essentially found out about the text messages between Hannah and Zach and alerted the defense attorney. I didn't get why she would do that. Was it her need and desire to be involved so that even if she was no longer on the case and her son wasn't going to be dragged into it (that was before Hannah's parents lawyers decided to subpoena him after all) she could feel I don't know smug and satisfied that she was still serving a purpose? I don't know, the whole thing just seemed odd. I figured when she was snooping in the earlier episode, she was trying to see all the information they had on Clay, which as a parent, I understood. I just don't know why she decided to insert herself in the case and essentially help the school's case, knowing what she does because she heard the tapes, she knows Bryce admitted to what he did to Hannah and knows how Bryce damn near almost killed her kid when he tried to get that confession.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 3

There was a point during the Clay/Skye scene where I fully yelled at my TV, "OH MY GOD, CLAY, IT IS NOT. ABOUT. YOU!!"  And then his decreeing to Alex and Justin that maybe Jessica's truth should come out now?  Nope, ick, gross, please go die in a fire, Nice Guy.

Tyler has lost me forever by shooting that bird.

• Like 9

What surprised me completely was the beginning, when Chloe was in the stall and got out a Sharpie, and then Jessica showed up after her. I completely thought that Chloe was going to go into superdenial by writing some awful things about Jessica. Her crossing out those nasty things, however? That was good.

Very astute reading of the scene. I didn't realize what had happened until I read this post--then I went back and parsed it much more carefully. Interesting! Thanks for this post!

On 5/22/2018 at 11:18 AM, Empress1 said:

Bryce is almost cartoonish in his villainy, isn't he?

He is but, kids at that age are not exactly nuanced when it comes to displays like this: displays of power, of lover, whatever. He's a 17 yo meathead, he's not going to cite Machiavelli's The Prince, he's going to brag about Daddy's money.

On 5/25/2018 at 11:06 PM, NUguy514 said:

There was a point during the Clay/Skye scene where I fully yelled at my TV, "OH MY GOD, CLAY, IT IS NOT. ABOUT. YOU!!"  And then his decreeing to Alex and Justin that maybe Jessica's truth should come out now?  Nope, ick, gross, please go die in a fire, Nice Guy.

Tyler has lost me forever by shooting that bird.

FUCK TYLER. He is SHIT. Fuck people who murder animals* for sport and afterwards call their friends over to gawk. I despise him. He's a fucking Nice Guy, he's a stalker and a pervert and now he murders animals for sport. The fact that he was bullied doesn't mitigate this.

I was horrified when I saw that needle in Justin's arm. Oh my God. That was genuinely horrifying.

(And as obnoxious as Clay has been this season, I feel for him with all the puking that's been going on in his bedroom.)

*Plus I think that was a crow and they are super intelligent. They are really the coolest birds.

• Like 2

I don't like Clay, this season. It isn't up to him, when something comes out that's another person's secret, if it ever does come out. 

Yeah, enough with the puking, but I'm glad that Justin wasn't dead. I thought he was, at first. 

On 21.5.2018 at 4:08 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Hannah's dad is an idiot. They live in a pretty small city and he's just kissing his girlfriend in public thinking that no one will see and recognize him as the pharmacist on Main Street? I don't know if it would be worse for Hannah or Olivia to see it or for someone else to see it and tell one of them.

Or it was another bad retcon. not as bad as the Zach-one, but still pretty bad.

On 21.5.2018 at 4:08 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Man, if Skye managed to get that much clarity in the week or two that she's been in rehab, then maybe Clay needs to go too. I mean, seriously, she is like a completely different person now - calm, emotionally mature, rational, etc.

I think they finally got her on the right meds, is what she was implying. That will help a lot, when you have bipolar.