OnceSane

S02.E11: Bryce and Chloe

Chaos erupts at school in the aftermath of Bryce's testimony. Jessica tells Chloe about the clubhouse. Alex's memories come rushing back.

Clay was just getting a dose of reality consistently this episode. Jessica got to tell him off about him dictating whether or not rape victims should come out, which was satisfying. Clay hasn't been able to get it through his thick Hannah-filled skull that there's more than one victim, and that these women's lives are ruined forever. Then, his delusion with Hannah has her telling him the truth about his need to see the worst in her.

I will say, as much as I loathe Bryce, I think the actor is doing a phenomenal job at portraying Bryce as a straight up rapist. I also loathe his father, who is a clear enabler and probably wouldn't care if he had proof that his son raped girls, unless it directly affected his reputation.

I think they hinted at more with Bryce and Hannah last season, during Bryce's big episode, so I wasn't surprised at some of the development here. I don't buy all of it as true, anyway, and I'm glad they actually went the twist route at the end, with what really happened. 

Wow, Zach quit the team because his coach was trying to pressure him into supporting Bryce. Good on Zach for finally finding his voice. Also good on Chloe for figuring things out, and deciding to take action. I figured she did the pictures stuff, so I'm glad Jess found out and also understood. However, it sucks that Chloe was so afraid to go against him that she lied. I figured that there had to be something to halt the trial for another couple of episodes, but it sucks that it went this way.

The big Alex revelation, I did not see coming, but I'm glad they included it. It actually connects the dots. 

That ending was intense. Finally, someone sees Clay losing it, at least, even if it's just Justin. The final few episodes really are ramping up.

• Like 5

FI-NAL-LY. That big fight scene, I’ve been waiting for someone to take it to Bryce and his boys. Cheered when Tony and Zach came in banging. I’ve been on Clays side most of the series but dude lay off the “this all for Hannah” stuff. Jessica and Chloe were both victims too. Glad the show tries to say “look we have one jock who’s on Clays side so not all high school male athletes are rapists” even though that’s easily countered because this kid obviously knows that Bryce is guilty, and has known. I guess we had Jeff, but you know they killed him off. This show is back to what S1 levels of good were, but doesn’t help those first 4 episodes that dragged. 

• Like 6

That fight scene was epic. Probably one of the most enjoyable scenes in the series so far because the "loners" and "freaks" finally stood up for themselves against the jocks. 

Also, when it's revealed at the end what really happened between Bryce and Hannah - wow, that was pretty chilling. It's interesting that there's this emphasis on telling the truth (parents keep telling their children to tell the truth in court), yet it's been distorted by the case itself - by students lying to protect themselves and by the lawyers trying to characterize Hannah as someone the jury can empathize with. It makes you question the tapes because before, they were the only sources of truth that the audience had. Now, we have different perspectives that complicate the truth and Hannah herself.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Hope said:

That fight scene was epic. Probably one of the most enjoyable scenes in the series so far because the "loners" and "freaks" finally stood up for themselves against the jocks. 

Alex using his cane to whale on Montgomery and/or Scott was to date the highlight of the season.

With Courtney pulling the fire alarm being a close second.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, starri said:

Alex using his cane to whale on Montgomery and/or Scott was to date the highlight of the season.

I giggled way too hard at this. I wonder if they’re aware how interchangeable those two are. (It was Montgomery, BTW)

So... this episode. Holy shit, this episode.

You know you’re in for a fun time when there’s a content warning for sexual assault at the start of the episode!

Alex has his memory back, but it’s a real be careful what you wish for thing. 

• Like 5

I laughed through the whole fight. "LET'S GO MOTHERFUCKEEEEEERS!" (I don't know any of the names of the players who aren't Bryce or Zach.) I started cracking up when Porter and the coach were fighting. I also cracked at the adult straight up asleep in detention.

"You are a stranger in this house." I mean, OK, but how about some consequences, Mom? (Besides slapping him in the face, which he deserved. She should have hit him with a closed fist.)

The phrase "made love" coming out of a teenaged boy's mouth should have been a clue that Bryce's story was bullshit.

• Like 16

I don't care how lonely poor little rich boy Bryce is all alone in that big house. He is still a gaslighting rapist who loves using his privilege to silence anyone who dares to stand up to him.

Now that he's admitted to his mother what he did, what will Nora do? The cold way he told his mother how he raped Hannah ("until she cried") makes him totally irredeemable (not that I thought he was one of the characters who would get a redemption arc this season, but still).

I feel like this is Pretty Little Liars where every time we find out one of the culprits, my response is "But what about _______? Who the fuck did that?" Zach left the polaroids for Clay. Chloe was the one who put up the pictures to scare Jessica. But who hung up the blow up doll at Jessica's house? Who left a gun for Alex at the pharmacy? Who stole the pictures out of Clay's car? Who smashed up Tony's car? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS! All of this is some A level creepery (and at least on PLL we were told that A had cameras hidden everywhere and minion to do her bidding). Like how did this person know that Clay had the polaroids in his car? How did this person know that Tony had parked his car in an alley while he was walking around town with Caleb?

Although I felt Mackenzie has been a bit overenthusiastic about Tyler from the very beginning, it was nice to hear her apologize to him about telling one friend what happened.

Damn, Chloe. That was a regrettable swerve.

The baseball coach can eat a dick. He is just like Bryce - he thinks he can threaten and cajole people into obeying him. I'm glad that Zach stood up to him and quit the team. I'm glad he plays other sports so that baseball wasn't his sole hope of getting a college scholarship.

Once again, Clay's jealousy is making me angry. Let's just say for the sake of argument that Hannah did hang out with Bryce and have sex with him right after she moved to town. SO THE FUCK WHAT? She never said on the tapes that she DIDN'T do those things (and as Zach pointed out to Clay in S2.E6, she obviously didn't put everything about everyone on those tapes). Even if she had sex with Bryce a hundred times during their junior year, that doesn't give him the right to rape her even once. Husbands can rape their wives. It's called consent and it has to be given every time. The number of times you had sex before that has no bearing on consent.

Just because she didn't include certain information on the tapes and she didn't tell Clay about XYZ doesn't make it untrue and it doesn't make Hannah a liar. She never said that the tapes were the equivalent of an all-encompassing history of the world. Clay's relentless jealousy really gets me mad. They weren't even dating! She had no obligation to tell him all of these things that weren't on the tapes. The fact that he was surprised by many things that WERE on the tapes should be a pretty strong indicator that she didn't tell him everything, so why should he be surprised that there are even more things that she didn't tell him and that she didn't put on the tapes?

Some of that is moot since Bryce was clearly lying, but it's Clay's reaction that bothers me. Every time some new piece of information comes out in court, Clay treats it a some kind of betrayal that Hannah never told him this before. He acts like she owed him every minute detail of her life, which she did not. Even if you're married to someone for fifty years, you don't owe them that. You still get to be a separate person and have private thoughts and experiences.

I get that he's frustrated by trying to figure out what's true, but this kid needs some intense and frequent counseling. I totally understand that he's still upset by Hannah's death, which is normal, but this obsession and feeling of ownership are very unhealthy.

• Like 9

So the clubhouse was supposedly only for baseball players and the girls they invited, which is why we’re supposed to believe that Justin (who was always hanging out with Bryce, Zach, Monty, and Scott) didn’t known it existed, but somehow Marcus was in there with a stripper and at least one other guy (who filmed the incriminating video)?

I was trying to imagine someone hiring a stripper and then saying, “Oh the address for the party? Okay, so you know where the high school is? No, wait, it gets better! Do you know where the baseball field is? Just wait out there and we’ll come get you.”

• Like 7

Honestly, nothing on this show has been more disturbing than watching Bryce get hard and jerk it off to the memory of raping Hannah. Granted, I fast forwarded through the suicide scene, I couldn't do it. But yikes. I thought they were gonna try to redeem him with like an incest storyline with his mom but... no. He's all the way evil forever. I, too, have to take a break after this one.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, shouldbedancing said:

Honestly, nothing on this show has been more disturbing than watching Bryce get hard and jerk it off to the memory of raping Hannah.

I watched the suicide scene and while it was graphic, watching Bryce get turned on by remembering that he KNEW he raped Hannah was far more disturbing.

At the beginning of the scene when they showed him staring off into the distance while remembering what happened in the hot tub, I thought for a second that they were going to show him having some remorse to bring him into a grey area, not necessarily to redeem him but to show that he isn't completely evil. NOPE. It's not that he's oblivious and unable to read signals. He gets off on the control he gets from raping girls which is sickening.

It's not just that he was projecting his situation onto Hannah (as seen with the scenes where he flipped which one of them was saying certain things or pursuing the other) and seeking revenge against a girl who rejected him because we know he's raped at least two other girls. He's not a guy who misread social cues and mistakenly believed that Hannah was into it. He knows that she wanted him to stop and he enjoyed violating her, forcing her, and making her cry.

There's really nothing they can do now to redeem him in my eyes. I don't care if he was an adorable child who loved puppies and baked cookies for homeless people because now he is an unrepentant serial rapist who gets off on knowing that he can force himself on girls who can't make him stop. He's so disgusting that he makes my skin crawl.

• Like 10

The fight scene was pretty great. Porter’s WTF when the Coach came at him like they were just another couple students made me chuckle. And Zach jumping in to deliver a beat down was pretty awesome. 

I know Chloe’s a victim but man was it disappointing seeing her back down on the stand. 

Moms of boys like Bryce tend to be some of the worst enablers so seeing Bryce’s mom calling him out for being a creep and not buying any of shit is refreshing but also kind of jarring. 

The dramatic pan down to Bryce’s hard on while he fondly reminisced about raping Hannah was seriously disturbing. Do we really need to see multiple boys’ erections on this show? First Alex and now Bryce. One criticism I've had for this season is that they seem to be trying hard to make every character sympathetic, no matter how shitty they acted last season, but thankfully there's no sympathetic backstory for Bryce. He's just a privileged violent predator who gets off on hurting girls. 

I was half-expecting Clay to shoot ghost Hannah at the end to make her stop describing the rape. 

Edited by SadieT
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was trying to imagine someone hiring a stripper and then saying, “Oh the address for the party? Okay, so you know where the high school is? No, wait, it gets better! Do you know where the baseball field is? Just wait out there and we’ll come get you.”

Perhaps I missed something, or am misremembering but I was under the impression that the lap dance Marcus got wasn’t from a stripper, but a student invited to The Clubhouse that got drunk and/or high and was talked into doing a strip show

Omg. Loved the fight. Only thing missing was a cool song in the background teehee..

Bryce is psycho as fuck. Enabling parents are just the worst. 

Amazing episode. 

• Like 1

So, I am just gonna add "Bryce's hard on" to my list of Things I Never Want to Think About. Good lord, that guy is a full on psychopath. The ending was quite shocking, realizing how much he made up, and how he was getting off to the power he had as she raped Hannah. He gets turned on by control and having power over other people. I kind of makes me wonder if he became  best friends with Justin not only because he was a fellow jock, but because he figured that an abuse victim from a poor family would be easy to manipulate? 

That fight was amazing! I was halfway between cheering at how Bryce and his assholes were finally getting hit in their stupid faces, or laughing at how quickly the fight escalated, and how it just kept growing! I cant even pick a favorite part! I think it might be a three way tie between Alex wacking a guy with his cane, Mr. Porter and the Coach actually joining the fight instead of stopping it, or Courtney and Ryan just looking on the whole thing with disdain, until Courtney pulled the fire alarm? Or maybe when Cyrus and his friends joined in just because screw those guys? I half expected to see the coach and Porter in detection with the rest of the kids!

I dont think thats the memory that Alex wanted back. No wonder he lost it when he realized what had happened. 

Of course Clay continues to be jealous all the time about Hannah and acts like he is the real victim in all of this because Hannah may have liked guys other than him. Clay needs some serious counseling, as he is full on losing his shit at this point. His constant acting like he alone is the safeguard of Hannah's legacy (unless of course she did something he disapprovess of) and that he is just so much better than everyone else, is just so freaking annoying. I feel bad for him, as he is clearly struggling horribly (and thank God Justin realized something was up), but he needs to get some of that self awareness everyone else is working on so much. 

• Like 7

After Clay actually said out loud that maybe what Bryce said on the stand about himself and Hannah was true and after Clay was so unbelievably stupid as to leave the box of pictures in the backseat of his car in plain view of anyone with working eyes, I was hoping he would just pull the fucking trigger when he had that gun to his head.  Well, I kind of wanted him to shoot Bryce in the head first and then himself, but still.

Courtney rolling her eyes, pulling the fire alarm, and walking away was the best.

Edited by NUguy514
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Of course Clay continues to be jealous all the time about Hannah and acts like he is the real victim in all of this because Hannah may have liked guys other than him. Clay needs some serious counseling, as he is full on losing his shit at this point. His constant acting like he alone is the safeguard of Hannah's legacy (unless of course she did something he disapprovess of) and that he is just so much better than everyone else, is just so freaking annoying. I feel bad for him, as he is clearly struggling horribly (and thank God Justin realized something was up), but he needs to get some of that self awareness everyone else is working on so much. 

I think the biggest disservice Hannah did as her final message to Clay was including him on her tapes AND not holding him responsible compared to the other people on the tape. I think that gave Clay the wrong idea that he should be this saviour to a dead Hannah, on top of his residual feelings and his trauma over her death. I know Hannah didn't feel like Clay was a bad guy, and I do believe that she wasn't intentionally trying to hurt him by including him on the tapes, but I think it actually did hurt him overall. This season has shown Clay to be very possessive, and I think maybe that could be because Hannah's message about him was vastly different than anyone else's and, thus, there's a good chance he feels superior and like he's the only one that can avenge her death. Also look at the scene from the season 1 finale, when he confronted Porter. He did put some of the blame on himself, but I think he's been showing how much he also blames Hannah and the others as well, as if he had some big purpose in her life. I think his guilt that she didn't blame him and that there was something there that has allowed him to behave in the way that he does. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think the biggest disservice Hannah did as her final message to Clay was including him on her tapes AND not holding him responsible compared to the other people on the tape. I think that gave Clay the wrong idea that he should be this saviour to a dead Hannah, on top of his residual feelings and his trauma over her death. I know Hannah didn't feel like Clay was a bad guy, and I do believe that she wasn't intentionally trying to hurt him by including him on the tapes, but I think it actually did hurt him overall. This season has shown Clay to be very possessive, and I think maybe that could be because Hannah's message about him was vastly different than anyone else's and, thus, there's a good chance he feels superior and like he's the only one that can avenge her death. Also look at the scene from the season 1 finale, when he confronted Porter. He did put some of the blame on himself, but I think he's been showing how much he also blames Hannah and the others as well, as if he had some big purpose in her life. I think his guilt that she didn't blame him and that there was something there that has allowed him to behave in the way that he does. 

I agree with this whole statement except the bolded because YMMV but in two seasons (still missing the last episode), I can't think of a thing Clay did to Hannah that he needed to be held accountable for or should have been made responsible like the others. Interestingly that was one of the first things Justin said to him in the first season, "you're not so innocent Jensen" but thus far, he kind of was. And in fact, I remember that last season, that was one of the things some viewers criticized Hannah for - including Clay on the tapes and dragging him into this mess that he really wasn't a part of.

Clay's tape was essentially just Hannah's way of explaining to him why she freaked out on him like she did at the party and essentially apologize to him and I guess call out why he never tried harder to be with her while she was alive. But she could have sent that in a letter. Instead she put him on a list of people who bullied her, raped her, used her, mocked her, etc. A kid who already had his own mental issues before his friend died in a car accident and Hannah killed herself. I mean she didn't give Tony a tape. No, Clay's not perfect and he's been a dick many times this season, but I'm not ready to drag him while hand holding other characters for their shitty actions. Like I'm sorry, to each his own but some were really waiting for some modicum of decency from Bryce - really? Yeah how'd that go with Marcus?

Thing is, it was fucked up on Hannah's part to include Clay on these tapes because while he was passively in love with her and had her on this unrealistic pedestal, he never intentionally hurt her. And it was completely fucked up to mess with the kid's head in that way. So yeah now he's on some mission to play hero and avenge Hannah but then he's realizing she wasn't this saint high on the pedestal he put her and it's making him be a dick and slut shamey about her memory. 

So the clubhouse was supposedly only for baseball players and the girls they invited, which is why we’re supposed to believe that Justin (who was always hanging out with Bryce, Zach, Monty, and Scott) didn’t known it existed, but somehow Marcus was in there with a stripper and at least one other guy (who filmed the incriminating video)?

One of the many things I'm calling bullshit on in this season. I know they're clearly on the "redeem Justin" track, enough that we should forget about his many threats to want to hurt and kill Clay last season. But trying to sell me that Justin who was so close Bryce knew nothing about that clubhouse is complete bullshit. 

Once again, Clay's jealousy is making me angry. Let's just say for the sake of argument that Hannah did hang out with Bryce and have sex with him right after she moved to town. SO THE FUCK WHAT? She never said on the tapes that she DIDN'T do those things (and as Zach pointed out to Clay in S2.E6, she obviously didn't put everything about everyone on those tapes). Even if she had sex with Bryce a hundred times during their junior year, that doesn't give him the right to rape her even once. Husbands can rape their wives. It's called consent and it has to be given every time. The number of times you had sex before that has no bearing on consent.

Just because she didn't include certain information on the tapes and she didn't tell Clay about XYZ doesn't make it untrue and it doesn't make Hannah a liar. She never said that the tapes were the equivalent of an all-encompassing history of the world. Clay's relentless jealousy really gets me mad. They weren't even dating! She had no obligation to tell him all of these things that weren't on the tapes. The fact that he was surprised by many things that WERE on the tapes should be a pretty strong indicator that she didn't tell him everything, so why should he be surprised that there are even more things that she didn't tell him and that she didn't put on the tapes?

Honestly, this is probably going to be massively unpopular, but I understand Clay's reaction. The Hannah obsessing is ridiculous and over the top, but I get his confusion and freak outs about some of the testimonies. I don't think Clay was thinking that if what Bryce was saying was true and that he and Hannah did hook up in the past, it meant he didn't rape Hannah because again, Bryce admitted what he did and he was still dogged on getting Bryce even while struggling with the information. And after all, Chloe was dating Bryce so she'd obviously slept with him and they called what Bryce did in the pictures to her, rape, which it was. I don't think Clay was suddenly questioning that Bryce raped Hannah based on what Bryce said. He was struggling with whether or not they could have had something at some point and I get it. 

I think the issue Clay was having is essentially that in his mind, Hannah left these tapes to tell her story, to tell why she killed herself or so she said on the tapes and yet so much of that story was left out, like an entire relationship with Zach. So if there was so much she didn't tell, how then can they really know that everything she said was really true? And it's not necessarily the rape but think back to Jessica in Season 1 saying that it was Hannah who ended the friendship, not her and Alex. Basically I think Clay feels like Hannah dropped this bombshell on them, calling people out and telling her truth as she remembered it. Only to now find out that so much of that truth was left out. I don't think it's unreasonable that yes he's struggling with wondering if he ever really knew her at all.

And just so it's clear, I'm not saying Hannah was wrong for not telling parts about her life that she didn't want to on the tapes.  And I'm not saying that she deserved to be slut shamed or blamed for everything that happened to her because she was nice to and maybe too trusting to assholes who didn't deserve it. I'm just saying that while frustrating and not perfect, I understand Clay's struggle and feelings. No, it's not right or perfect but none of these characters are perfect. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 12

That school is a cesspool. A massive fight in the hallways? Multiple students would be suspended and/or expelled, but not at Liberty. Where were the adults, security, cops (or at least campus cops) would have been called. Where was the bureaucrat principal? I can't believe that every single adult could be so clueless and out to lunch, as they have been since the start of the show. Everyone from the principal to the lowest janitor should be fired at that school. A complete housecleaning is truly needed there. Why is Porter still there...he should have been fired months before that.

I have always thought Tyler was a creepy, disgusting idiot from day one. He has this girl who is out of his league actually interested in him, and he not only rejects her, but treats her like crap? What's wrong with this guy? He obviously needs therapy. 

• Like 4

On 5/26/2018 at 7:10 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Honestly, this is probably going to be massively unpopular, but I understand Clay's reaction. The Hannah obsessing is ridiculous and over the top, but I get his confusion and freak outs about some of the testimonies. I don't think Clay was thinking that if what Bryce was saying was true and that he and Hannah did hook up in the past, it meant he didn't rape Hannah because again, Bryce admitted what he did and he was still dogged on getting Bryce even while struggling with the information. And after all, Chloe was dating Bryce so she'd obviously slept with him and they called what Bryce did in the pictures to her, rape, which it was. I don't think Clay was suddenly questioning that Bryce raped Hannah based on what Bryce said. He was struggling with whether or not they could have had something at some point and I get it. 

I think the issue Clay was having is essentially that in his mind, Hannah left these tapes to tell her story, to tell why she killed herself or so she said on the tapes and yet so much of that story was left out, like an entire relationship with Zach. So if there was so much she didn't tell, how then can they really know that everything she said was really true? And it's not necessarily the rape but think back to Jessica in Season 1 saying that it was Hannah who ended the friendship, not her and Alex. Basically I think Clay feels like Hannah dropped this bombshell on them, calling people out and telling her truth as she remembered it. Only to now find out that so much of that truth was left out. I don't think it's unreasonable that yes he's struggling with wondering if he ever really knew her at all.

And just so it's clear, I'm not saying Hannah was wrong for not telling parts about her life that she didn't want to on the tapes.  And I'm not saying that she deserved to be slut shamed or blamed for everything that happened to her because she was nice to and maybe too trusting to assholes who didn't deserve it. I'm just saying that while frustrating and not perfect, I understand Clay's struggle and feelings. No, it's not right or perfect but none of these characters are perfect. 

Great post, and I definitely agree with the gist of this part. I think another aspect of the Bryce stuff that made him trip out so bad because in his mind, OBVIOUSLY Bryce is evil, he raped Hannah, he was always evil, Hannah would NEVER accidentally connect with an evil person like him, etc. But if what Bryce said had been true, that he and Hannah had a weird loving connection for awhile and "made love" a bunch of times, it destroyed him inside to suddenly have to wonder whether Hannah could have had even a single a positive thought about the guy who would later rape her, let alone a relationship. 

His brain couldn't handle any bit of gray area into that part of the story, not when he knew what a lying evil piece of shit Bryce was. It didn't lessen what happened to Hannah, but it lessens (in Clay's mind) the way that he thought he knew her and her story, and made him wonder how much else he never knew.

What happened to the polaroids of Chloe??  Did the lawyer not have them or know about them? Sorry, but when Chloe was like “oh i remember it was consensual” i’d have definitely shown her those pictures and been like “so this is you right after you consented? Drooling on the arm of this couch?” 

I can definitely understand a rape victim not wanting to come forward, but i’m struggling to believe as it becomes apparent that he’s raped any number of girls - and they all now know about each other - that not ONE of them is raring to look him in the eyes and call him a raping rapist. I mean really, NO ONE? It’s good to acknowledge that some survivors of sexual assault struggle to publically acknowledge what happened in the face of all that comes with doin so - but there ARE survivors who are like “lemme tell the world what pond scum that guy is”. I would think at the point they’re at in terms of their knowledge of what he’s done to each of them that they’d have some collective strength to call him out now that they didn’t when maybe they thought they were totally alone in what happened to them. I just don’t get it. Are they all planning to go to school with the guy for the rest of the year knowing that he’s a serial rapist?? I mean the evidence against him now is stacked a mile high - photos (assuming that the polaroids of Chloe are still out there, which i have to believe they are), a confession, multiple victims, at least one eye-witness - this is like the world’s most solid rape case - and still NOTHING?? What was believable when dealing with each individual case has become absurd in the aggregate. 

• Like 3

This. He's incredible at being that guy. I don't feel sorry for him at all and I want to rip his face off...but when he started in with the I love you Chloe, you think I'm a good person, right Chloe? Even though he JUST RAPED HER...I almost started to feel bad. He's great at playing a manipulative piece of shit who needs to die.

I will say, as much as I loathe Bryce, I think the actor is doing a phenomenal job at portraying Bryce as a straight up rapist. I also loathe his father, who is a clear enabler and probably wouldn't care if he had proof that his son raped girls, unless it directly affected his reputation.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 9:18 PM, starri said:

Yes! I straight up cheered when Alex BROKE his cane on the dude. Way to step up!

On 5/26/2018 at 2:20 AM, NUguy514 said:

Courtney rolling her eyes, pulling the fire alarm, and walking away was the best.

Loved it!

On 5/31/2018 at 3:17 AM, BigDfromLA said:

I have always thought Tyler was a creepy, disgusting idiot from day one. He has this girl who is out of his league actually interested in him, and he not only rejects her, but treats her like crap? What's wrong with this guy? He obviously needs therapy. 

In general I am not crazy about the term "out if his league" but it really does apply here. Tyler, Mackenzie is cute, aware, friendly--she is indeed way out of your league. You did nothing wrong, sweetie, and you are way too good for him.

They are giving Bryce the Owen Labrie treatment (prep school lacrosse player whose mug shut showed him as the jockstrap rapist he was, but showed up for the trial looking like Harry Potter, complete with dyed brown hair and glasses).

"Can't he just...be those things?" Mom knows what's up.

No effing way Monty--ass-kissing Monty--is able to take down Zach. Zach has at least 3-4 inches on him.

Oh my fucking GOD HOW STUPID ARE YOU CLAY??????? You left the box in the back seat of your car?!?!

"Real power" oh shut the fuck up, Tyler. Just shut it. Only a weenis confuses guns with power.

Bryce playing the Poor Little Rich Boy card. Good for Mom for calling him on his shit.

The single most disturbing image of this scene is that tracking shot down to Bryce's erection as he remembers raping Hannah. Jesus.

• Like 2

At this point I'm all for somebody killing Bryce. He isn't going to stop. He's going to rape more people. I just don't want Clay to go to prison for it.

Stylistically it was an awesome choice that they had ghost-Hannah stop talking to Clay and just have her recount the recording. Bravo.

On 22.5.2018 at 8:58 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Some of that is moot since Bryce was clearly lying, but it's Clay's reaction that bothers me. Every time some new piece of information comes out in court, Clay treats it a some kind of betrayal that Hannah never told him this before. He acts like she owed him every minute detail of her life, which she did not. Even if you're married to someone for fifty years, you don't owe them that. You still get to be a separate person and have private thoughts and experiences.

It also was a pretty obvious lie. Zach testified that Hannah was a virgin when they first had sex and who are you going to believe Zach or rapist Bryce? (although even that retcon was dumb and I'm pretty sure Hannah was originally a virgin until Bryce raped her, in season one)

I really think the writers assassinated the character this season. The Clay we knew in season one wouldn't act like this. It makes me sad. Feels like they killed a great guy and replaced him with a shitty double.

On 27.5.2018 at 2:10 AM, truthaboutluv said:

One of the many things I'm calling bullshit on in this season. I know they're clearly on the "redeem Justin" track, enough that we should forget about his many threats to want to hurt and kill Clay last season. But trying to sell me that Justin who was so close Bryce knew nothing about that clubhouse is complete bullshit. 

Agreed.

On 12.6.2018 at 5:06 AM, CeeBeeGee said:

Oh my fucking GOD HOW STUPID ARE YOU CLAY??????? You left the box in the back seat of your car?!?!

Ugh! Amen, brother/sister!

And it seems like they didn't even make copies. Jesus! How hard can it be to take photos of the photos?! I guess the explaination around that was that it was technically child pronography and laws around that stuff are stupid and even if you are minor yourself and you just had the photos to bring a rapist down, it could ruin your life. But they had the photos anyway! So what difference would have made it if they had made copies?