saoirse

God Friended Me

Yay for a second season!

Joe Morton was on the Daily Show and had some interesting things to say about the show and its premise (slightly spoilerish depending on your POV). The clip is worth watching in its full length (it deals with the show in the first half).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5hj25d5Xs

• Like 2

Casting news, and a few quotes from the producers and cast of the show from the TCA press tour:

Spoiler

Adam Goldberg has been cast in recurring role as Simon Hayes, the techie billionaire Simon Hayes who may or may not be owner of the God Account on CBS series God Friended Me, EP Bryan Wynbrandt announced Wednesday at TCA.

Asked how long the show intended to tease the mystery behind God Account, Wynbrandt answered coyly that “Simon Hayes’s involvement in the God Account will be explained and end the season in a satisfactory manner.”

Message about the renewal:

• Like 3

Some portraits and quotes from the TCA press tour at the show's instagram account:

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Cast at Paley NY: https://www.paleycenter.org/2019-god-friended-me

An Evening with God Friended Me

Tuesday, February 26, 2019
7:00 pm ET
New York

Brandon Micheal Hall, “Miles Finer”
Violette Beane, “Cara Bloom”
Suraj Sharma, “Rakesh”
Javicia Leslie, “Ali Finer"
Joe Morton, “Reverend Arthur Finer”
Steven Lilien, Creator/EP
Bryan Wynbrandt, Creator/EP

God Friended Me has delighted critics and audiences alike by combining spiritual quest with social media. In this uplifting and often humorous drama, a committed atheist’s life is transformed when he receives a friend request from the divine. This perplexed podcaster (the charismatic Brandon Micheal Hall) tries to make sense of this unexpected intervention with his family and friends as he enters the destinies of other people. After previewing a new episode, creator Bryan Wynbrandt and his cast will discuss the genesis and development of their hit series, while also taking questions from the audience.

This event is part of the Paley Center’s multifaceted Black History Month celebration, Shaping Our Nation’s Story: African-American Achievements in Television Presented by Citi.

Miles reconnects with his high school baseball teammate, Cal, when he gets a friend suggestion for a promising young baseball player who Cal is coaching. Also, Arthur feels territorial when he’s informed that the Diocese is sending an assistant rector to mentor under him.

For the next episode, episode 14: The Trouble with the Curve.

• Useful 1

2 hours ago, saoirse said:

For the next episode, episode 14: The Trouble with the Curve.

Thanks, which is airing next Sunday Feb. 17th, BTW.  Set your DVR's!

• Like 2

On 1/30/2019 at 2:04 AM, Yeah No said:

It looks like there's another break after that and a total of 20 episodes to the season.  If they continue to show only one episode per month we won't see the end of the season until the summer!

Not to mention, that's when a show loses viewers and ratings go down, because people quite simply forget about it...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SnarkySheep said:

Not to mention, that's when a show loses viewers and ratings go down, because people quite simply forget about it...

I know, it feels like they intentionally want to ruin a good thing.  The ratings so far have been good.  It was the most watched show on its day of the week on the network.  So I don't get it.

• Like 3

Sunday night is a tough slot this time of year. You've got the Super Bowl, Grammy's, Oscars, etc. Lots of big events where shows are either preempted or just aren't running new episodes to go against those events. And both the Super Bowl and Grammy's were CBS this year, back to back weeks.

They probably could have held it for later to run a few episodes in a row, but they also don't want to just give up the open Sunday during sweeps month. I can see why they ended up scheduling the way they did.

Edited by redpencil
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, redpencil said:

Sunday night is a tough slot this time of year. You've got the Super Bowl, Grammy's, Oscars, etc. Lots of big events where shows are either preempted or just aren't running new episodes to go against those events. And both the Super Bowl and Grammy's were CBS this year, back to back weeks.

They probably could have held it for later to run a few episodes in a row, but they also don't want to just give up the open Sunday during sweeps month. I can see why they ended up scheduling the way they did.

Personally I wish they would move it to a new night.  If they wanted something easy to pre-empt they could have found another less popular show to do it with.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, redpencil said:

Yeah, I just don't think that there was many good options for them with the schedule. The Super Bowl and the Grammys are just big things for them that they can't very well reschedule. It's a shame, but it's just a fluky thing.