saoirse

S29.E19: Left Behind

Homer gets Flanders a job at the plant, and he soon learns that no good deed goes unpunished when Flanders starts to insist on carpools and demands more from Homer's work performance. Meanwhile, Marge feels as though their marriage has lost its spark.

Couch Gag: Ferris Wheel, loved how it went through the whole house.

Of course Homer misses the solar eclipse because of Pork Chop Night.

"Way to go, God!"

Wow, we haven't seen the Sit n Spin Lounge in YEARS (seriously, was the last time in Principal Charming?). Speaking of callbacks, Flanders made his cocoa from the movie! And when was the last time we saw the Leftorium? It's been a kiosk for a while, right?

Okay, I need to see what Flanders resume looked like. I can't believe it took 29 seasons for Flanders to work with Homer at the plant. And oh god Flanders is perfect for HR, and just as good as taking Burns' abuse as Smithers does. Of course Burns thinks he was too, well, Flanders-y. It was the same thing that happened when Homer became smart: competent workers don't last long. I honestly wanted to see more of the Flanders kids with Bart and Lisa. After the Foster Home episode and all the times the Simpsons were over their house, I'd been wanting to see that situation the other way. I always wondered if Rod and Todd even go to school, and now we have the answer: They're just frozen in place all day. And just like when Flanders was principal, the class goes to hell when he's in charge. I liked how Bart's solution was to instill the fear of God into the kids, but I kept getting reminded of Chalmers' outrage over a prayer in a public school. So does this mean Flanders will be Bart's new teacher? It's an interesting development if he is.

Man, it was so sweet (and surprising) hearing Marcia Wallace's voice again. Actual heart, and it wasn't undercut!

"If we're praying during lunch, aren't we interrupting God's lunch?"
(cut to God eating a big sandwich)
"FINALLY, someone thinks about God!"

I really liked how Marge and Homer ate cake in bed. It's a great, small detail we don't see too often.

Heh, blimp on fire joke on the anniversary of the Hindenburg disaster. Too soon, show.

• Like 3

Ned's Resume details:
-- address: 744 Evergreen Terrace
-- Phone: 555-8904
-- e-mail: ned.flanders@springface.com
-- Highlights: Owner/Proprietor Leftorium, Saturday Sexton, Weekend Deacon, Smile Hi Club
-- Summary: Eager to bring my strong organization and communication abilities to the job.  Excellent administrative support skills and a professional, honest and friendly attitude adapt well into any business model.

Loved the 'Jesus is A1' poster in Ned's office, with Jesus on an A1 sauce bottle.

Todd: "What are you doing Lisa ?"
Lisa: "Making an art project."
Todd: "You color very neatly."
Lisa: "Thank you."
Todd: "Pride's a sin."
Lisa:  "Aaagh.  So is snitching to God. Rod."
Todd: "I'm Todd, I think"

Homer: "They look like gummi worms, but they're not.'

Burns: "Speaking of charity, call the orphanage Smithers.  We have leaks in our pipes and we need their tiny hands to plug them."
Smithers: "Uh, they said they wouldn't send you any children sir."
Burns: "Heh, they have to say that."

• Like 1

"Duffman hates Duff-mankind."

Excellent episode.  Had some hilarious moments like Duffman, "I'm Todd, I think", Burns breaking Flanders' smile toy, and God's two appearances, and some touching things like the family helping out Flanders, Homer and Bart apologizing, and Edna.  I love that Bart said that Ned might be able to be as good as Edna.

• Like 2

I always wondered if Rod and Todd even go to school, and now we have the answer: They're just frozen in place all day.

I think remember the show mentioning their schooling. Didn't Edna stand up to their teacher once - either when her and Ned were first married or when they were dating? 

Man, it was so sweet (and surprising) hearing Marcia Wallace's voice again. Actual heart, and it wasn't undercut!

Sniff.  All the emotions.  

• Like 2

On 5/6/2018 at 6:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

Heh, blimp on fire joke on the anniversary of the Hindenburg disaster. Too soon, show.

Hahahahahaha I didn't know that. 

On 5/6/2018 at 6:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

I honestly wanted to see more of the Flanders kids with Bart and Lisa.

I thought this was the best part. They could have made so much more out of it. 

I assumed the kids were home schooled, so I was surprised Flanders went to school. 

• Like 1