saoirse

S29.E18: Forgive and Regret

Grampa makes a confession to Homer while on his deathbed. After his recovery, he comes to realize that this issue will not be easy to reconcile.

• Like 1

That was awesome !!  One of the better episodes in a while. Really well-written. 

The mocking of NCIS. 

The return of the demolition derby -- complete with Truckasaurus II.
"No overt racism".  "If you can prove racism, free cola."
Let's not forget a very drunk Billy Joel

The opening segment with Maggie gunning down Marshall Dillon from 'Gunsmoke' to commemorate 'The Simpsons' taking the crown for longest running scripted series.

Moe's pickled egg recycling system.

Homer's cone of silence upgrade to Marge's car.

Homer's quip about episodes not giving you neat endings that tie up in a bow -- only to get that exact ending.

Car-rak Obama the Affordable Healthcare mobile (which you can't kill no matter how hard you try) -- complete with Obama head and skulls, with the Hope poster on the side.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 3

Intro: Take THAT, Gunsmoke!

This is it, number 636, the one where they beat Gunsmoke! So...now what? 700? Running until someone in the main cast dies? Speaking of long-runners, take that, NCIS.

Loved the roster of the Demolition Derby, especially the Very Drunk Billy Joel. "If you can prove racism, free cola!" Not the first time Homer's car was in a demolition derby. Wait, was it Marge's car? Ether way, we've seen it. And the Cars joke was dark, BUT a Demolition Derby race was in the third movie.

"If cake solved problems, Homer would be given the Nobel Peace Prize."
"That's a bullcrap prize, they gave it to Kissinger!"

Moe knows a thing or two about reconciling with an estranged dad, he did it like two weeks ago. But the actual story of what Abe did...damn, I honestly felt for Homer. THAT was horrible, you do NOT screw with Homer's love for his mom or food. Of course the ending had to fake us out, but I liked how the convenient diner found and kept all the pie recipes (wrapped in a bow, natch).

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The return of the demolition derby -- complete with Truckasaurus II.

RIP Truckasaurus II.

Edited by Galileo908

8 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

This is it, number 636, the one where they beat Gunsmoke! So...now what? 700? Running until someone in the main cast dies? Speaking of long-runners, take that, NCIS.

Harry Shearer is in his 70s.  They had that contract dispute 3 years ago and nearly didn't get him back.  He does so many voices -- Skinner, Brockman, Burns, Smithers, Flanders, Reverend Lovejoy, Dr. Hibbert, Lenny, Otto, Rainier Wolfcastle, and Judge Snyder.  It's hard to imagine the show without all those iconic characters.  I would prefer that they quit the show before they have to deal with that.

Yeah considering the show hit a milestone and did it with a pretty middle of the road episode.  The fact is the show is long past it’s prime and unless it wants to swerve into whatever controversies surround it warranted or not the show should start thinking about how it wants to end.  

Honestly the relationship between Homer and Grampa is probably the least interesting of the show cannon except in explaining why Homer is how he is in relation to his own children but to do that with a milestone episode is a waste.  I actually enjoyed more the jokes about Gunsmoke and NCIS.  

“A gun and a sailor hat.  Nothing screams naval crime more then that.”

Maggie shooting someone.  I don’t know why that makes me chuckle every time.

Edited by Chaos Theory

The show has been renewed for Season 30, which seems like a logical place for them to stop. I don't think that will get them to 700 episodes though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

The show has been renewed for Season 30, which seems like a logical place for them to stop. I don't think that will get them to 700 episodes though.

No.  I calculated this out once but I forget the number.  They just did 636 and are near the end of season 29.  I think there are usually 22 episodes per season.  So with 30 they might get up to 661.  I included an extra 3 episodes remaining in this season, although there might be more or less than that and I don't feel like looking it up.  If they wanted to hit an even 700 they'd have to continue and they'd hit it in the middle of season 32.