SilverStormm

Deadly Class

On 1/30/2019 at 3:10 PM, Matt K said:

I was somewhat implied that the Poison Professor might be gay given his talk about his friends dying of AIDS.  

He told Marcus, "Seen half my friends and a few partners waste away from a plague Ronnie refused to even acknowledge", so he outright said he was gay. I mean, "partners" can be applied to heterosexual relationships, but it's less common, especially in this context.

• Like 1

S1.E5: Saudade

On a mission to Vegas to kill Billy's dad, Marcus accidentally takes way too much acid.

Promo:

Clips:

Original air date: 2/13/19

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

On 2/9/2019 at 4:51 PM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

He told Marcus, "Seen half my friends and a few partners waste away from a plague Ronnie refused to even acknowledge", so he outright said he was gay. I mean, "partners" can be applied to heterosexual relationships, but it's less common, especially in this context.

Thanks, the dialog in this show is sometimes a little tough to hear.  

I'm not sure I totally like the main character he's a bit of a self-righteous know it all.. He's got some good qualities... Maybe its just too much focus on him.. And with both the female leads attached to him at least semi romantically it just feels like the Marcus the worlds greatest white Latino hour

• Like 2

Sorry, maybe I just don't have the patience I used to have, but I had to fast forward through pretty much all of Marcus' tripping.  I liked that Maria was the only one to actually take action.  I'm sorry Chico's dead (I assume) because he was an interesting character (cliched, like the rest of them but still), not sorry the abusive dad is dead - but was there any consequence of that? 

Who was the disfigured character (Chester?).  Can't remember who or what he is. 

57 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

Sorry, maybe I just don't have the patience I used to have, but I had to fast forward through pretty much all of Marcus' tripping.  I liked that Maria was the only one to actually take action.  I'm sorry Chico's dead (I assume) because he was an interesting character (cliched, like the rest of them but still), not sorry the abusive dad is dead - but was there any consequence of that? 

Who was the disfigured character (Chester?).  Can't remember who or what he is. 

Chester is the nasty dude that abused Marcus in the foster home.   Apparently he was burned in the fire that Marcus caused but didn't cause, and that's why he's disfigured.

I keep thinking, "Come on, Marcus - stand up and FIGHT, dude!"  But he was pretty drugged out.  But I did wonder why Saya just stood there.  It seems out of character for her since she is a hell of a fighter.   And like you, I wondered what about the abusive dad?  They made a LOT of noise in that hotel room - and NO ONE is going to investigate?  There was a lot of blood - what did they do with the body?  A lot left up in the air.   The drug tripping cartoon scenes reminded me of the tripping dogs in the sausage factory in The Secret Life of Pets.  

• Like 1

I wasnt really feeling the trippy stuff, at least as much as I liked the other episodes. I think I ended up missing being at Murder Hogwarts, we really needed more guys in robes. The visuals did look really cool though, and that electric clown was the stuff of nightmares! 

I am actually going to miss Chico, assuming he is really dead. He was an asshole, but he was a compelling character to have around. I do appreciate that Maria was the one to actually kill him with her blade fans. But of course, they had to kill one of the only people in the world they ARENT supposed to murder!

Poor Billy.

S1.E5 quotes

Marcus: Fuck, where am I? I should know that. Okay, piece it together Two 8-balls of coke. Saya wouldn't shut up about water skiing. Billy had a bottle of ether, but that wasn't it.

Marcus: I do this thing after I'm around people where I overanalyze every interaction to see where I went wrong, who I offended. I sit up all night worrying I didn't catch the right cues or I said the wrong things.
Saya: Some might call that socially retarded.
Marcus: Human interaction is just a manipulation dance, a way for people to get what they want from each other. Popular people, they are just the best liars.
Saya: It gives people a reason not to act like assholes.
Marcus: You're an asshole.
Saya: I am the most well adjusted person in this car.
Marcus: Mm, does "well adjusted" go on drug-fueled road trips and use fake IDs to illegally gamble?

Billy: You guys smell that body odor and self-righteousness? Can only mean one thing. We've entered into the dank domain of the hippie.
Willie: Yo, I signed on for a road trip to Vegas, maybe have some laughs, meet some fly girls. What is this shit?
Marcus: Please don't tell me you're a Deadhead, please.
Saya: Hippies congregate here when they're not following Jerry Garcia's foul taint around. Hippies have drugs.

Billy: Life's about who you love and what you do for them.

Willie: This place is a bummer. My mom said hippies is what you get in a godless society.
Marcus: Your mom, the gang leader?
Willie: Ain't nobody tossing up devil sticks in the hood.
Billy: Your mom's right. A bunch of stinky, nomadic stragglers following a terrible band committed to an empty cause.

Willie: Saya's here to get with me. As soon as she found out y'all roped me into his, she was packing a bag.
Marcus: Her family just tried to kidnap her. I don't think hooking up is a priority.

Maria: I won the mirror at the state fair throwing balls at a toothless meth head. Perfect, right?
Saya: It really nails the shitty dive-bar coke-break ambiance.

Maria: I want this to be fun. I want to have fun with you, guapo. Do you want to have fun?
Marcus: Sure. Usually fun has less aggressive chest poking or none.

Saya: I warned you about these crunchy hippies and their bunk drugs, and you didn't listen to me. And now you've thrown all your money away.
Maria: Wasn't that a Mother Goose tale?

Billy: Was it Sinatra who said that the Strip is a bummer on seven hits of acid? Or was that Louis Prima?

Willie: Why would somebody shit in the ice machine?
Billy: I don't think anybody did. Did you want me to get you some ice?
Willie: Can you and I be friends, Teddy Ruxpin? Tell me a story about friendship and caring.
Billy: Dude, I'm a human boy.

Billy: My dad's not all bad. There are these moments where you can see the good guy inside Like he's trapped inside an asshole.
Marcus: Didn't he put your mom in danger and send you to King's to pay a debt?

Security officer: Holy cow, that is one terrible fake ID. You changed the date with a pen and laminated it.

Maria: Have you ever loved someone who mistreated you? Someone who used you to aid in their own delusions? Used your flexibility to force you into something harmful, no matter what the price to your soul?
Marcus: Yes.
Maria: So am I wrong for running away? Can you identify with that? The need to disappear, to start over?
Marcus: The only way I can identify with anyone is through a similar painful experience.
Maria: Like your pain is the only thing that defines you.

• Like 1

I felt like all the special effects and cartoony stuff from Marcus tripping went on way too long. It was more effective in small doses, like the little guy popping off the box of cookies in the convenience store. I guess all the tripping was supposed to make us question whether Marcus really saw Chester in the elevator or if that was the acid, but since we saw Chester in the previous episode it seemed pretty obvious that it was really him.

I really felt for Billy. He knew that killing his father would save his mom and brother (although did he not consider that the mob might still try to make him and his brother work off his dad's debt regardless of whether he was alive?), but there was that tiny part inside of him that was still the little boy who loved his dad. When he realized that his dad was actually dead, he was a broken kid who just wanted his dad to love him back. I thought it was sweet for Marcus to say that he was the one who killed him. Who knew that Marcus was capable of such kindness while tripping balls?

Ugh, Chico continues to be a horrible boyfriend and person. He followed her to Las Vegas and then just busted into her hotel room? Nice. It takes a certain kind of person to hit his girlfriend and then yell, "I love you!" I was conflicted about Willie. I didn't want him to have to break his no killing rule in order to save everyone, but I appreciated that he made the effort. I wonder if he really thought he would be able to kill Chico or if he knew that he was only capable of bluffing. I'm glad Maria was the one to kill him. After all the shit she put up with, it seemed apropos. I just hope that Chico is really dead. I do not need to see him teaming up with Chester's nasty violent ass.

I'm not here for a love triangle (like ever) but I really hope that Marcus doesn't tear apart Saya and Maria's friendship. I love those two together!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo · Reason: Typo
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

I had a dream last night where Billy was Quentin's dad. But also The Magicians and Deadly Class were the same show and Marcus and Quentin were one character.

To be both are annoying.. But Marcus rubs me the wrong way compared to Quentin who's a bit of a sad sack

I really really liked this episode.... they got the tripping scenes right, that's for sure! And the different types of trips.... Marcus tripping his balls off was spot on...

-The music was awesome too! Saudade brought on so many college memories..Loved that song...

-Billy's reaction after his father died was so well acted! 

-I am also glad that Maria took care of Chico. His look of surprise was perfect. But where did her fan come from, and where did it go after she dropped it??

Edited by materialgirl101 · Reason: to add
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, materialgirl101 said:

-The music was awesome too! Saudade brought on so many college memories..Loved that song...

This show has great music, it makes such odd but perfect musical choices. 

The scene where Billy was talking to his recently killed dad was so sad. He sounded so young and heartbroken, like while he wanted his dad dead, actually going it was still awful. Like admitting that as much as his dad had good sides, he could never really find the good guy.