SilverStormm

For The People

Is this the first Britt Robertson show to see a second season (not starring BR)? I've always liked her although she always seems to be playing the same character. I wish they would have explored all of Sandra's backstory this season so we could move onto others' next year, but they've given her too much baggage. Wasn't the reason why she lived out of a suitcase because she was in fostercare? But then last episode we learned that she hates hospitals because her mother died. So what happened to her dad? At least she didn't have a love interest.

I was confused by Kate. She wasn't admitting to any romantic feelings for Knox, was she? Is she so closed off that it embarassed her to admit she would miss her friend? I think Susannah Flood really does have the most chemistry with people. Especially Knox, who I think is a weak actor.

Jay surprised me by being so funny. I hope we learn more about his family next season. And I hope they make Seth less milquetoast although I thought he was funny at the beginning muttering under his breath about Roger. I really liked him on "Younger" so the writing for him has disappointed me. Please be the end of Seth and Allison. They can grow more away from each other. Hopefully they up them to 13 episodes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shorty186 said:

Is this the first Britt Robertson show to see a second season (not starring BR)?

Life Unexpected lasted only 2 seasons on the CW, I don't consider Under the Dome considering what happens.

1 hour ago, Shorty186 said:

Wasn't the reason why she lived out of a suitcase because she was in fostercare?

I could be wrong because I often don't pay attention to her scenes but I thought it was because they got evicted a lot not foster care.

Surely, Alice should go to prison just for being a Knicks fan, no?  I mean, Roger's affection for the Yankees shows a certain soulless nature, but that fits his job at least.  (And Ben Shenkman remains a treasure, as I should note here.)

It was nice to see Ms. Chavez again, since having every case be rookie v. rookie was hardly logical, but I'd rather it were zebra girl from the animal episode.

I really, really hope that Kate's upset over Leonard's leaving (for all of one episode, max, you know it) is just about her being unwilling to admit how much she'll miss her friend.  And not just from the "straightening"-the-queer-character-is-repellent angle, but because I really have never seen any sparks between Kate and Leonard, at all.  Never mind Anya, I got more chemistry from Kate with Sandra, when she was making her batshit crazy "I must avenge wrongs because I didn't get to go to the Capitol" speech at the end of ep 3, or from her mentorly disdain for Jay, or from her legitimate friend chemistry with Seth.  Leonard is just a dick, played by a mediocre actor who happens to be a very pretty boy…which, good for him, but it means that Leonard wouldn't be interested in a "Kate" type, anyhow, since she's not "hot" enough for his shallow tastes.   Let's keep this plot line far, far away.  (Austin would be good, but I don't have much hope of that, obviously.)

And speaking of diving into the shallow end of the pool, interesting choice to have Allison run after Wine Boy even when Seth professed his feelings.  "Wrong" from the sense that Wine Boy is a cheap con artist who will use her and lose her, but logical in that sometimes people just don't want anything deeper.  Of course, how this pays off next season when (presumably) Allison won't be there for Sandra when Sandra has the breakdown that even Jill can see coming might be interesting, but that's for down the road.

"The worst cities are the ones that double as first names".  Well, I can see the argument against Orlando, but what's wrong with Savannah, after all?  Lovely architecture, I'm told.  You're reaching with that one, Littlejohn.  Just saying.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

I really, really hope that Kate's upset over Leonard's leaving (for all of one episode, max, you know it) is just about her being unwilling to admit how much she'll miss her friend.  And not just from the "straightening"-the-queer-character-is-repellent angle, but because I really have never seen any sparks between Kate and Leonard, at all.  Never mind Anya, I got more chemistry from Kate with Sandra, when she was making her batshit crazy "I must avenge wrongs because I didn't get to go to the Capitol" speech at the end of ep 3, or from her mentorly disdain for Jay, or from her legitimate friend chemistry with Seth.  Leonard is just a dick, played by a mediocre actor who happens to be a very pretty boy…which, good for him, but it means that Leonard wouldn't be interested in a "Kate" type, anyhow, since she's not "hot" enough for his shallow tastes.

I don't get a straighten out the queer vibe at all... They showed mutual (at least physical)  attraction before she ever met the DEA woman... So if anything Kate is fluid.. She's been flustered by Knox before and it wasn't until he hesitated the first time she asked him out that something happened with her.... I also disagree about no sparks but that seems to be a more personal preference sometimes than anything concrete..  Lastly I don't see Knox as a dick... Abrupt maybe and def ambitious partly I assume because of his upbringing but he does seem to care

• Like 4

So I just caught up on this show and did I miss when Seth had a change of heart over Allison? Because that literally seemed to happen over night, between episodes.

On 5/27/2018 at 11:11 AM, Halting Hex said:

The worst cities are the ones that double as first names".  Well, I can see the argument against Orlando, but what's wrong with Savannah, after all?  Lovely architecture, I'm told.  You're reaching with that one, Littlejohn.  Just saying.

The city of Savannah came well before its use as a first name.

On 5/29/2018 at 10:08 AM, ursula said:

did I miss when Seth had a change of heart over Allison?

Yes, this did happen fast. I'm hoping they stay away from too many romantic entanglements on this show (good luck with that wish in Shondaland), because they don't handle them very well. My vote: More law, less ardor. 

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Like 3

On May 31, 2018 at 4:46 PM, 7-Zark-7 said:

The city of Savannah came well before its use as a first name.

I think one could say the same for Austin, the city under discussion.  As I wrote, I wasn't hugely impressed with Kate's logic here.

2 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

I wasn't hugely impressed with Kate's logic here.

My take was that it was meant to show that Kate was grasping at straws, not that it made sense.

So glad others have the same reaction to Sandra that I do. I have had such a hard time believing Britt Robertson as a lawyer at this point in her career - not only having finished law school, but also some pretty amazing accomplishments IIRC (possibly Supreme Court clerking, Law Review editorship?) I would buy her as a passionate wannabe lawyer STARTING law school. I never watched Under the Dome, but I recall her clearly from Swingtown, Life Unexpected, and the Secret Circle, and she has always seemed to play some kind of immature, damaged character, albeit one with good intentions - but who usually annoys me in some way. And Sandra is no different. It doesn't help that Sandra's apparently tortured backstory is never explained, and yet what we have learned seems pretty minor. (I'd buy the hospital panic attack more if she had spent months and months there as a child because her mother was sick, only to see her die anyway.)

However, after watching this season, it has become apparent that Sandra is far from the main character - certainly not the way Olivia Pope or Annaliese Keating are. In some episodes, we hardly saw Sandra at all. I'd actually argue that we've spent as much time with Kate and possibly Leonard as we have with Sandra.

I have really enjoyed the rest of the cast and characters, and I'm glad the show will continue with the opportunity to do some retooling over the summer. Focusing on the ensemble and moving the main stories around each week is clearly the way to go. I'd also like to see more recurring lawyers in both offices (like the recurring girl who went against Sandra this week) so we lose the impression that only three newbie hires and one supervisor work in each office.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Like 3

"Alice Huang . . . She likes Drake . . . She is a New Yorker. She is an American."

Did the writers not know that Drake is a Canadian? 

29 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

"Alice Huang . . . She likes Drake . . . She is a New Yorker. She is an American."

Did the writers not know that Drake is a Canadian? 

Lots of Americans like Drake. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Lots of Americans like Drake. 

Point is that Bell tried to portray Huang's Americanness. IMO it just failed when the things she likes is not even American. Imagine if Bell said instead, "She likes Adele, she is a big fan of Real Madrid. She is an American." Plenty of Americans love Adele and plenty of Americans are fans of Real Madrid.

Edited by TV Anonymous

2 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

Point is that Bell tried to portray Huang's Americanness. IMO it just failed when the things she likes is not even American. Imagine if Bell said instead, "She likes Adele, she is a big fan of Real Madrid. She is an American." Plenty of Americans love Adele and plenty of Americans are fans of Real Madrid.

To me the point wax to portray how "normal" and mainstream she is and Drake's milquetoast image (pre being dragged by Pusha T) fits with that.

On 3/18/2018 at 6:15 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Even as a huge baseball fan - my username is based on my team - I thought they were clunky, contrived, and annoying.

I enjoyed the pilot and I'll "continue watching until I don't", though, as you said.  

The minority actors were all light-skinned (or multiracial - that's my guess as another multiracial person).  That to me felt really weird.  They gave Jasmin some really bad dialogue in the first half.

On 3/21/2018 at 7:01 PM, Neurochick said:

Not every light skinned person is mixed race/multi racial.  I’m light skinned and black.  I get tired of every light skinned black person being called mixed race.  Sigh.

I just started watching this today because it’s summer and I need more TV. 

Ms. Blue Jay, I see you on multiple threads and had no idea you were a baseball fan. I thought you just liked birds. 

And the one thing that bothered me about Jasmin and her beautiful head of hair is that I cannot believe she always wore it down—and that it was always perfectly styled. TV magic, sure, but at home, she wouldn’t get tired of hair in her face and put that shit up in a ponytail or braid it?

And no, not all light-skinned black people are multi-racial. But for the two young lawyers, I also assumed they were bi-racial since they had very few African facial features. Again, not 100% consistent, but that's been my experience. 

• Like 1

Just caught up with this show, entirely due to it featuring Caitlin Stasey, who I've been a massive fan of for over a decade. Does anyone know if she'll be back for the second season? 

Do we believe Seth’s former colleague when he said he had to beg the DA to hire Seth or was he just trying to put Seth off his game so he’d mess up the case?

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 7:23 AM, Ceindreadh said:

Do we believe Seth’s former colleague when he said he had to beg the DA to hire Seth or was he just trying to put Seth off his game so he’d mess up the case?

I couldn’t tell. Either way, the guy was a big dick about it. 

On 10/5/2018 at 4:43 AM, deaja said:

I’ve been slowly catching up on this show, but haven’t commented. This episode really annoyed me. The guy knew he was being a courier for drugs and the judge knew it. Comparing it to someone who finds drugs planted in his fast food bag? It’s sad that he’ll spend ten years in jail but he chose to commit a crime. There are many victims of drugs who don’t make the choice. 

The previous eoisode’s preachiness was much better done.

Whether the guy knew it was drugs specifically, he surely knew it wasn’t anything legal. So why was he stupid enough to jump a turnstile and give the cops a reason to stop and search him?

• Like 1

I have a feeling they were trying to push Leonard/Sandra today but am Hoping that they'll leave it alone as I didn't see much chemistry. I did actually like Sandra tonight through her friendship with Alison. That's where she's at her most likeable.