dcalley

Unforgotten

2 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

It was Hitchcock and Columbo.

Hee, I did notice Cassie's habit of 'just one more thing'-ing.

On 5/14/2018 at 2:06 AM, kassygreene said:

Red Letters were Donkeys Ears, which I guess is another Brit cultural reference I don't get.

According to the internet, Donkeys Ears is rhyming slang for many  years. But it's also a pun, because donkeys' ears are long, which suggests a longer amount of time. (I continue to think rhyming slang is just unfair. It requires way too much work to decipher. Which I suppose is the point. But I'll grumble about it anyway.)

• Like 2

In the end credits of Masterpiece Mystery shows.  Usually after all the actor credits, and I always have to be ready to hit pause to get them all.

• Like 2

I love this series and have been impressed with the acting in it by all characters.  There are so many intricacies to the plot(s) that you can't miss a single second.  I do have the closed captioning turned on to watch it since I am not familiar with a lot of British terms.

• Like 2

Well after saying I was done with this of course I went back and watched 2nd and 3rd parts. Great production all around. Pretty dense so benefitted from a second viewing. I don't mind the Strangers on a Train plot, Law and Order used it too. There are only so many plots after all and it is an elegant solution. Similar to the first arc where two murders by the same woman was not real believable to me though, the idea that Sara could have staged the disappearance of Paxton off a yacht, Colin could have staged a hanging, and Marion could have kilt Walker and stuffed him into a suitcase, all successfully, didn't seem plausible.

Agree with others, could have done without the dad subplot which IMO added nothing, and would like to have seen some comeuppance, or something, for the blackmailers.

Overall great job, looking forward to the next story.

• Like 2

I kind of suspect that it wasn't any one of them committing the murder for someone else, but that it was the pair that wasn't connected to the murderee who did the deed.  I.e., Colin and Marion killed Walker, Sara & Marion did the coach, and Sara & Colin got Marion's father.  

Also, there was an evolving "skill" to it, because the disposition of Walker's body (he was first) was not very well thought out, but the coach vanished at sea, while Marion's father was a convincingly staged "suicide".

• Like 5

Nicola Walker fans who are about to suffer withdrawal might want to tune in to Sundance channel this Wednesday night  for he debut of another series of hers, The Split. It's about divorce lawyers, I gather.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, attica said:

Nicola Walker fans who are about to suffer withdrawal might want to tune in to Sundance channel this Wednesday night  for he debut of another series of hers, The Split. It's about divorce lawyers, I gather.

Thanks for this info!  Just set up a "Record Series" on our Cox DVD.  We love Nicola.  We always refer to her as "Our Jillian" (Last Tango in Halifax).

• Like 3

On 5/18/2018 at 5:36 PM, kassygreene said:

I kind of suspect that it wasn't any one of them committing the murder for someone else, but that it was the pair that wasn't connected to the murderee who did the deed.  I.e., Colin and Marion killed Walker, Sara & Marion did the coach, and Sara & Colin got Marion's father.  

But didn't Colin have an airtight alibi for Walker's murder?  That's why I'm thinking Marion killed Walker, Sarah killed the coach and Colin killed Marion's dad.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2018 at 10:20 AM, AZChristian said:

Thanks for this info!  Just set up a "Record Series" on our Cox DVD.  We love Nicola.  We always refer to her as "Our Jillian" (Last Tango in Halifax).

For me she's still D.I. Susan Taylor, from Touching Evil BITD. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, abbottrabbit said:

For me she's still D.I. Susan Taylor, from Touching Evil BITD. 

I never saw the 3rd season of that show, and for years and years sought it out on various video formats to no avail. I recently thought to look again, and whoo! All three seasons are streaming on Amazon! My long weekend is sorted!

(My favorite of NW is still Ruth from Spooks/MI5.)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, attica said:

I never saw the 3rd season of that show, and for years and years sought it out on various video formats to no avail. I recently thought to look again, and whoo! All three seasons are streaming on Amazon! My long weekend is sorted!

Fair warning: I still get a little heartbreak when I think about something that happens in that 3rd season. 

On 5/14/2018 at 2:06 AM, kassygreene said:

Red Letters were Donkeys Ears, which I guess is another Brit cultural reference I don't get.

It came up in the show. I don't think I'd heard it before. The neighbor of the 99 house (where the children were taken) said the current residents had been there ~5 years and that the previous guy had been there donkey's ears.

On 5/14/2018 at 8:13 PM, krankydoodle said:

I think Masterpiece cut some scenes out. I read a recap describing something that I don't remember seeing in the final episode: Tessa and David Walker's son Jason finally setting up a date with the downstairs neighbor he was awkwardly trying to flirt with during an earlier episode.

Thanks for that. I saw Bryony Hannah's name at the beginning and she never appeared, and her role in the first episode was minuscule, so I did wonder.

On 5/21/2018 at 1:25 PM, sugarbaker design said:

But didn't Colin have an airtight alibi for Walker's murder?  That's why I'm thinking Marion killed Walker, Sarah killed the coach and Colin killed Marion's dad.

Yes, he was in a care facility at the time, though I believe Sunny said he could have gotten out for an hour or two without being noticed by staff.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 6:58 AM, JudyObscure said:

I always hear it as "donkey's years," meaning a very long time.

Yea. That's what the closed captioning had.

Compo and Clegg and Truly always say "donkey's years" and the closed captioning agrees.  But saying it as "ears" makes sense, too, as British rhyming slang.

What, exactly, was Colin being blackmailed about? I couldn't make out the dialog in that scene. (Was it the supposed "rape", which he now knows never happened?)

yes, and a terrible double-bind for gay boys sexually abused by gay men ... the toxic attitude being that the boys must have "wanted it" even more than the "usual" child-as-seducer scepticism (whereby a child's "secondary rewards" for participating and continuing a relationship was used to  -- both -- mitigate the crime and blame the victim.  

I watched the final installment and it was very well done.  There's been so much in the news that's been triggering (whether you like or approve or disapprove) ... it hit important points without ignoring how sordid the reality was ... it's one thing to talk about abuse endured, it's another to talk about there lasting physical / sexual damage inflicted or PTSD looming in shadows even when it's apparently dormant.  (I discovered that my "triggering" can be demonstrated I start to "recognize" random faces/people ... it means that some undercurrent of anxiety wrt stalking has been triggered, even if I have no clue what triggered it, like a news report or a movie -- kind of like how an old broken leg hurts when when the barometric pressure falls) 

• Like 3